Professor Who Said Christians, Muslims Share A God Is Leaving Christian College

This topic is locked from further discussion.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 servomaster
Member since 2015 • 870 Posts

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/07/465916095/professor-who-said-christians-muslims-share-a-god-is-leaving-christian-college

A professor at an evangelical Christian college who was suspended for saying Christians and Muslims worship the same God will no longer be teaching at the school.

It seems like right wing Christianity teaches that thinking is a bad thing.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

God for both religions is the same, the difference is who they view as the prophet

So he's not wrong.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

The answer is a lot more complicated, I think. Most Christians believe Jesus is god, while muslims simply consider him a prophet. In that sense, no, they don't worship the same god. At the same time the concept of god in both religions are born from the same judeo/christian beginnings. All three religions share a lot, but there's real and significant differences that I think you could argue either stance and be right.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

And the point would be? Muslims have been fighting and killing each other for hundreds of years over something as simple as which hand folds over which in prayer.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

He is truly a god of infinite wonder and sloppy seconds.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Well they don't have the same God. Muslims don't think Jesus is God.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@servomaster: They both worship Jewish God, which is the original non-pirated version.

Christian worship Jewish God's son. But ultimately, if they go to heaven, that's Jewish God's heaven. Jesus never claimed he created his own heaven.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I don't get why people in this thread are saying Jesus is God. I mean yeah the Holy trinity thing with Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost (damn does the ghost ever get the short end of the stick) say they are all one, but generally speaking most people see Jesus as God's son. They don't say Jesus is actually God.

I do wish Christian's would defer to Jesus's wisdom and teachings more often than God's though. God was all like "Here have everything you need, but I will punish you if you try to learn too much about life. Also if you become too much like how I created you (human) I will straight up kill you in mass quantities through floods and plagues." Jesus on the other hand was more like, "Look I know that you heard that my Dad was a total dick, but he, apparently, got laid (God knows who he had sex with up there, I mean isn't God supposed to the one and only?) and chilled the **** out. Now he just wants you guys to love each other, get along, and take care of each other." *smokes joint*

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I don't get why people in this thread are saying Jesus is God. I mean yeah the Holy trinity thing with Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost (damn does the ghost ever get the short end of the stick) say they are all one, but generally speaking most people see Jesus as God's son. They don't say Jesus is actually God.

I do wish Christian's would defer to Jesus's wisdom and teachings more often than God's though. God was all like "Here have everything you need, but I will punish you if you try to learn too much about life. Also if you become too much like how I created you (human) I will straight up kill you in mass quantities through floods and plagues." Jesus on the other hand was more like, "Look I know that you heard that my Dad was a total dick, but he, apparently, got laid (God knows who he had sex with up there, I mean isn't God supposed to the one and only?) and chilled the **** out. Now he just wants you guys to love each other, get along, and take care of each other." *smokes joint*

It's the father, son and holy spirit. They're all God. Jesus is God in meat form.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

jesus is like god 2.0.

the biblical folks realized they f--ked up with the first of god and had to iron out some bugs found in beta testing.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@magicalclick: I think he had sex with Athena personally.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The Triune Godhead, which is God in three persons, is distinctly different from the monotheistic religion of Islam.

• God is the Father.
  • The Holy Spirit could be thought of as the good that is God. "Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting" (Psalm 136:1)
  • Jesus Christ is God's son. Paul and Timothy's first epistle to the Philippians discusses that Jesus, "who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" Philippians 2:6-8. Their epistle to the Philippians describes Jesus as the form of God, his ultimate essence is the Father, but God did not die on the cross.

I find the mystery of Christianity fascinating the delineation of Christian theology engaging. Islam is also engaging.

Islam views Allah as the unknown ruler of reality, an utter otherness in existence that cannot be fully understood, so there is debate about whether we can know anything about Allah, at all. Hence, scholarly assertions are often negations of what Allah is not rather than assertions of what Allah is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Get a real job, hippies.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They both believe in Jesus, except Jesus is viewed as prophet and they both believe in the same God.

If you read both the Quran and the Bible, in some parts they are both are quite similar and in others they are different. I guess new religions just interpreted things differently.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Muslims, Christians, and, Jews all worship the same God, it's true.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Didn't know you can fire someone in 'Murica over religious reasons

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#19 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts
@Treflis said:

God for both religions is the same, the difference is who they view as the prophet

So he's not wrong.

Exactly and you might as well throw Judaism in there as well because all 3 come from Abraham! As a matter of fact, all 3 beliefs co-existed in Palestine before WW1. As to what the hell went wrong, that's another subject for another time....

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Hmmm. I remember few years ago when gamespot full of atheist post... hihi

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Of course they jumped all over jehova veneration. the christians and muslims could not worship him fast enough after seeing what a great job he did for the Jews.

omotih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omotih
Member since 2015 • 1556 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls#Origin

Chrestus: https://jayraskin.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/294/ (damn numbers^^)