Power Rangers Season 1 now on DVD: who will buy it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

Poll Power Rangers Season 1 now on DVD: who will buy it (11 votes)

Kids are more likely to want it 18%
people in their late 20s and early 30s are most likely to buy it 82%

So, I was watching "The 100" and one of the commercials (well actually two of the commercials) was for a DVD set of the first season (all 60 episodes) of Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, with a free action figure. I got to thinking, I bet most of the people who will want this DVD are people who are a little older than me. Does anyone else feel that young kids today, the type of kids who would be Power Rangers fans, don't really care much about this DVD? They probably don't care about Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, they probably just care about the more recent stuff (i.e. the stuff that people in their late 20s, early 30s could care less about unless its to complain about how junky it is compared to the original show).

So do you guys think I'm right about that, or do you think it will actually be kids who want this DVD? Anyone else find it ironic that a DVD of what was designed as a kid show may be appealing more to adults. I noticed on the second time I saw the commercial that it said "relive the..." (I think battles, and "unforgettable monsters"), so that shows that the commercial is probably trying to sell it to adults more so than kids.

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I will probably procure it in the future. Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers were the triumvirate of my childhood.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Can't resist:

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Obviously adults who lived during that era. Nostalgia sells big to adults.

Personally, I wanted that limited edition 20 season DVD collection they released that came in the Red Ranger helmet.

If they picture quality is better than the streams I've found, then count me in as one who will be buying at least until Turbo (or whenever Jason David Frank left the show).

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Tommy and Kimberley!

Good times:-) I remember the movie with fond childhood memories. Watching it now they look like people with SERIOUS ADD by constantly moving their hands around dramatically whilst talking.

Still love them:-)

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I'm just waiting for the proverbial crap to hit the fan when the fans realize that a big screen reboot is on the way. I got a feeling it's going for it to go the serious, moody, washed out route that's popular with the young'ns these days.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

While I was in middle school when the original show came out, I don't see myself buying it at this time. Besides, the entire series from the 1993 original all the way to the current shows are on Netflix right now, so unless you just have to have hard copies I don't see a reason to buy it.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I could have sworn the first season was on Netflix. I probably won't buy it since I do believe it is on Netflix, but it was definitely a big part of my childhood. I definitely want to buy Ahhh Real Monsters on dvd though. That, along with Rocko, was my jam back in the day.

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

I wouldn't buy the DVD since Power Ranger are on Netflix so no need to waste money on buy DVD unless your a hardcore physical copy person.

By the way, we are getting a new Power Ranger Movie so I heard so I might check that out. I wouldn't mind if it's Micheal Bay doing it since it feels like he fit better doing that type of movie.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I can't be the only one: did anyone else here usually like the villains better than the rangers themselves? I did. My favorite character of each season was usually a villain, except for Lost Galaxy when my favorite character was the Magna Defender.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I'm surprised anyone would buy this show.

Power Rangers was one of the cheesiest television shows ever made. It goes along the lines of those movies that you loved as a kid, but if were to watch now you'd say, "WTF was I thinking???"

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whipassmt

If this DVD is mostly meant to appeal to adults and their nostalgia, maybe they should release it on VHS too. That's what the original Power Ranger take-home videos were on, and if people want to relive the old days, why not a VHS tape? But then again, if I stretch that logic too far, i'll have people watching it on box tvs.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

That show just recently being on dvd when blu-ray has been available since last decade is odd. The commercial itself feels like it belongs in the 00s.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I watched a couple of them on Netflix a few months back for nostalgia purposes, wish I hadn't.

The patchy memories I had of the episodes from childhood were 10x better. Nowhere near as epic as it felt when I was little, I didn't remember being as corny as it was either.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm way to old for power rangers

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

isn't DVD obsolete now, I honestly won't buy it unless it comes out on Blu Ray, I'm passed DVDs now,

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By whipassmt

@BranKetra said:

That show just recently being on dvd when blu-ray has been available since last decade is odd. The commercial itself feels like it belongs in the 00s.

@bezza2011 said:

isn't DVD obsolete now, I honestly won't buy it unless it comes out on Blu Ray, I'm passed DVDs now,

From what I understand DVD is cheaper than Blu-ray, so maybe they figure it would sell better if it was cheaper. In any case I do not get any blu-rays or have a stand-alone Blu-ray player (My computer and Xbox 360 might be able to play Blu-ray), so if I buy a movie, I buy DVD, though I usually just rent from Netflix now.I think most people in my extended family might not have a Blu-ray player, my cousin has said that his family doesn't have one.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I remember watching the premiere of power rangers back in 93 with my older brother and sister. Good times. Was hooked after the first episode.

I already have season 1 on itunes. It has been available on itunes since last year.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By branketra

@whipassmt: All versions of the Microsoft Xbox 360 feature DVD 9 drives. The previous video game generation was in part a competition between formats. Blu-Ray won instead of HD-DVDs and now 1080p is the standard (4K is still very expensive to many people).

Even though DVDs continue to be relevant, the way of progress is for new things to replace the old and that remains true while basic ideas remain the foundation (data storage, data processing speeds, etc.). That said, versions of the PlayStation 3 are under $300 now and collectively as one system, its library consists of hundreds of good games. Depending on the version, there is more or less backwards compatibility, but the PS3-specific library alone is great. Plus, featuring a Blu-Ray drive, it doubles as a film player. Finally, DVDs are less expensive than Blu-Rays, but businesses often sell them discounted. Also, Black Friday is only a few months away and so places like Target, Amazon, and Best Buy will be having even greater deals for those. In addition, being traditionally a multi-console gamer, I have made a habit of finding good deals for electronics which I recommend everyone does.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@whipassmt said:

I can't be the only one: did anyone else here usually like the villains better than the rangers themselves? I did. My favorite character of each season was usually a villain, except for Lost Galaxy when my favorite character was the Magna Defender.

I rooted for the villians.

@jasean79 said:

Power Rangers was one of the cheesiest television shows ever made. It goes along the lines of those movies that you loved as a kid, but if were to watch now you'd say, "WTF was I thinking???"

cartoons/kid shows from your childhood are actually funny TV. A lot of these shows had hidden messages that you didn't notice as a child.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whipassmt

@BranKetra said:

@whipassmt: All versions of the Microsoft Xbox 360 feature DVD 9 drives. The previous video game generation was in part a competition between formats. Blu-Ray won instead of HD-DVDs and now 1080p is the standard (4K is still very expensive to many people).

Even though DVDs continue to be relevant, the way of progress is for new things to replace the old and that remains true while basic ideas remain the foundation (data storage, data processing speeds, etc.). That said, versions of the PlayStation 3 are under $300 now and collectively as one system, its library consists of hundreds of good games. Depending on the version, there is more or less backwards compatibility, but the PS3-specific library alone is great. Plus, featuring a Blu-Ray drive, it doubles as a film player. Finally, DVDs are less expensive than Blu-Rays, but businesses often sell them discounted. Also, Black Friday is only a few months away and so places like Target, Amazon, and Best Buy will be having even greater deals for those. In addition, being traditionally a multi-console gamer, I have made a habit of finding good deals for electronics which I recommend everyone does.

So does that mean the 360 can play DVDs, but not blu-rays. I don't think blurays will totally replace DVDs, I don't plan on getting any bluray player any time soon, and something else will probably come along and supersede the bluray in a while anyway.

@PSP107 said:

@whipassmt said:

I rooted for the villians.

@jasean79 said:

cartoons/kid shows from your childhood are actually funny TV. A lot of these shows had hidden messages that you didn't notice as a child.

Yeah, my favorite characters for each of the main seasons that I watched were:

Power Rangers in Space: Darkonda

Lost Galaxy: Magna Defender

Lightspeed Rescue: Diabolico

TImeForce: Ransik

Wild Force: Master Org

Ninja Storm: Lothor

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

@BranKetra said:

@whipassmt: [...] Plus, featuring a Blu-Ray drive, it doubles as a film player. [...]

Most technophiles recommend against using a game console as a movie machine for the fact it puts unnecessary stress on the disc drive. While running a game, it spins less than 5% of the time (mostly). While running a movie, it's always spinning.

Apparently it significantly degrades the lifespan of the disc drive. And Blu-ray players are as cheap as $50 these days, so I'd personally recommend getting one in addition to the console.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 branketra

@whipassmt said:

So does that mean the 360 can play DVDs, but not blu-rays.

Yes.

It is your choice, of course.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@whipassmt:

Power Rangers in Space: Darkonda

Lost Galaxy: Magna Defender

Lightspeed Rescue: Diabolico

TImeForce: Ransik

Wild Force: Master Org

Ninja Storm: Lothor

I stop watching the Rangers after the 1st movie. So I'm not familiar with the later series.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 branketra

@foxhound_fox said:

@BranKetra said:

@whipassmt: [...] Plus, featuring a Blu-Ray drive, it doubles as a film player. [...]

Most technophiles recommend against using a game console as a movie machine for the fact it puts unnecessary stress on the disc drive. While running a game, it spins less than 5% of the time (mostly). While running a movie, it's always spinning.

Apparently it significantly degrades the lifespan of the disc drive. And Blu-ray players are as cheap as $50 these days, so I'd personally recommend getting one in addition to the console.

I would not call that stress incurred upon it unnecessary because one of its original selling points was that it was an less expensive Blu-Ray player and video game console in one designed as a media platform more versatile than traditional video game consoles. I expect that to have been under consideration by the engineers who originally designed the Sony PlayStation 3. To be sure, I am considering asking Sony.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@BranKetra said:

I would not call that stress incurred upon it unnecessary because one of its original selling points was that it was an less expensive Blu-Ray player and video game console in one designed as a media platform more versatile than traditional video game consoles. I expect that to have been under consideration by the engineers who originally designed the Sony PlayStation 3. To be sure, I am considering asking Sony.

It's pretty well known across most of the tech communities. It's a "rule of thumb" for them.

Also, how many original fat PS3's are still kicking around? I've heard from most people who owned one either it had gross hardware failure (YLOD) or the disc drive crapped out. Build quality on the Slims is probably much better, but if someone wants their console to last 10-15 years, I don't think using it as a primary Blu-ray player is a good idea.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By branketra
@foxhound_fox said:

@BranKetra said:

It's pretty well known across most of the tech communities. It's a "rule of thumb" for them.

I know about it, yet I still would like to know from the maker, officially.

Also, how many original fat PS3's are still kicking around? I've heard from most people who owned one either it had gross hardware failure (YLOD) or the disc drive crapped out. Build quality on the Slims is probably much better, but if someone wants their console to last 10-15 years, I don't think using it as a primary Blu-ray player is a good idea.

You must mean the 60 GB version. I sold mine to a relative. He plays it every day.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@whipassmt: I get your point and I understand for some DVD is still Relevant but considering I've had a Blu Ray player for 7years and HDTV's have been pretty much the standard way to watch programs for the majority, and as it stands now you can buy a blu ray player for around 100 if not less, depending on what currency and where your from, as i'm from the UK I got a cheap blu ray player for £60 so there pretty common practice for most now, So I just don't understand why not make a Blu Ray Release, I mean I just won't touch DVDs anymore due to watching most things in HD nowa days.

I still remember when everything changed from VHS to DVD, it pretty much happened over night in my eyes.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#30 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

They knew the diehards would buy the DVDs and the Blurays, but only if the releases were staggered.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 branketra

@foxhound_fox: A moment ago, I communicated with a representative of Sony about what we talked about. He said, "The information available to our Consumer Services Department does not suggest that this is a problem PlayStation(R) owners are likely to experience. Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC (SCEA) strongly supports the quality of its products and backs them with full confidence. If it is not advised by us please rest assure that it is just a rumor." It was quite a basic response.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Let it rot in the past.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points