Possible Nominees for Best Picture?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I've been really excited about the 2012 Academy Awards (although there's always a trollololol moment), so I've been thinking about what might win Best Picture. I'm expecting something like The Tree of Life to win Best Picture, but how I hope this is at least nominated:

What do you want to see nominated, or win, Best Picture?

Author_Jerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Author_Jerry
Member since 2006 • 568 Posts
I haven't seen any movies that were released in theaters this year, but I have heard buzz surrounding these three movies: - The Tree of Life - Take Shelter - The Artist I wouldn't be surprised if The Help was also nominated. Michael Fassbender in Shame and Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn may be nominated for their performances in those movies. I haven't heard much else, yet. Likely nominations will be made clearer by January as the rest of the anticipated art films start rolling out in the next few weeks.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
'Super 8' has about zero chance of being nominated for Best Picture. The front runners at the moment are 'The Artist', 'Hugo', 'War Horse', 'The Descendants', 'The Help', 'Moneyball' and 'The Tree of Life' with the Award most likely going to 'The Artist'.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
War Horse looks so manipulative, even for Spielberg. I can't help but cringe whenever those TV spots come on.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
'Super 8' has about zero chance of being nominated for Best Picture. The front runners at the moment are 'The Artist', 'Hugo', 'War Horse', 'The Descendants', 'The Help', 'Moneyball' and 'The Tree of Life' with the Award most likely going to 'The Artist'. SaintLeonidas
I still need to see The Help and Moneyball.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Cowboys and Aliens is a clutch for the win. A flawless masterpiece.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I haven't seen My Week with Marylin yet but I bet Michelle Williams will be nominated. Take Shelter is a great film so I hope that is gets some nominations. I know it probably won't get any nominatons, but I would like to see Tyrannosaur get some recognition. Especially for Olivia Colman's fantastic performance. It's not exactly a very well known film though I doubt it.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I think this deserves to win

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
Cowboys and Aliens is a clutch for the win. A flawless masterpiece.chessmaster1989
:D I actually really liked that movie. My guess is, "The Help" will win the big one. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good and the nominating committee loves movies involving racial tensions.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Either The Tree of Life or Hugo could take it and I'd be content. I doubt either of them have a very strong chance though.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Either The Tree of Life or Hugo could take it and I'd be content. I doubt either of them have a very strong chance though. raven_squad
Dear Lord I hated Hugo. An incredibly boring albeit pretty film.
Author_Jerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Author_Jerry
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Cowboys and Aliens is a clutch for the win. A flawless masterpiece.Serraph105
:D I actually really liked that movie. My guess is, "The Help" will win the big one. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good and the nominating committee loves movies involving racial tensions.

My opinion, for what little it's worth: The Academy also loves art-house films, and The Artist is the epitome of art-house, from what I've heard. The King's Speech earlier this year won the award over the more popular Social Network, and the year before, Hurt Locker (the lowest grossing film to win Best Picture) won the award over the more popular Avatar. Now, I'm not arguing that the better film necessarily won or lost in any of these cases, but I wouldn't bet that The Help would beat the critical darling The Artist merely because of racial tension present in it. More likely, it would lose for not being as good as The Artist in the eyes of the Academy. Further, there is still Tree of Life that will certainly be in the same field, and we know critics love that film as well. While I think The Help will be nominated and win an award or two, I don't think it stands much chance for Best Picture, based off of the critical reception for these three films.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

EVOLV3

I was coming here to post that. 50/50 will most likely be the darkhorse nomination.

MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

Not a Nolan film.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Cowboys and Aliens is a clutch for the win. A flawless masterpiece.Author_Jerry

My opinion, for what little it's worth: The Academy also loves art-house films, and The Artist is the epitome of art-house, from what I've heard. The King's Speech earlier this year won the award over the more popular Social Network, and the year before, Hurt Locker (the lowest grossing film to win Best Picture) won the award over the more popular Avatar. Now, I'm not arguing that the better film necessarily won or lost in any of these cases, but I wouldn't bet that The Help would beat the critical darling The Artist merely because of racial tension present in it. More likely, it would lose for not being as good as The Artist in the eyes of the Academy. Further, there is still Tree of Life that will certainly be in the same field, and we know critics love that film as well. While I think The Help will be nominated and win an award or two, I don't think it stands much chance for Best Picture, based off of the critical reception for these three films.

and I haven't seen any of those films so I can't really argue with you.
DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

EVOLV3

No way it's going to win, but it does deserve a screenplay nomination

Author_Jerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Author_Jerry
and I haven't seen any of those films so I can't really argue with you. Serraph105
I'm more uninformed, for I haven't seen any of the above mentioned films. I can only honestly say what I think the critics will choose, not what I would choose. It's not terribly hard, though, to follow what the critics are saying and predict which films will be nominated and win. I doubt there are many Best Picture upsets, after all, except in retrospect (Citizen Kane being the most obvious example). The most recent "upset" I can remember, if one can call it that, was when Crash won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain. Having seen Crash earlier this year, I definitely can't say that it was undeserving of the merit it received, looking at the list of the other nominations . . .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#19 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
'Super 8' has about zero chance of being nominated for Best Picture. SaintLeonidas
I know, but I'll go nuts for a Best Picture mention :P
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Cowboys and Aliens is a clutch for the win. A flawless masterpiece.Author_Jerry

I thought The social Network was incredibly overrated. Glad The King's Speech won. I havent seen any of the art house stuff this year though.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
2012? ron paul! oh' er what is this thread about?
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

My vote for Best picture,

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Hugo and The Help could be possible nominees.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

War Horse.

Why

Speilberg + World War drama= going to be a front runner.

Not saying its goining to be amazing, just facts