Pope canning some bishops

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Pope Francis Removes U.S. Cardinal Popular with Conservatives from Powerful Vatican Position

December 17, 2013 By Allen Clifton Leave a Comment

You can bet this is going to get a reaction from quite a few conservatives. Pope Francis has removed U.S. Cardinal Raymond L. Burke, popular with many conservatives for his outspoken stance against abortion and same-sex marriage, from a powerful position within the Vatican.

Cardinal Burke was taken off the Congregation for Bishops, which is the group most responsible for deciding who becomes a bishop in the future. He is being replaced by the far more moderate Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington. With this move, it’s a clear sign that Pope Francis wants a change in the ideological base with which the church chooses its Bishops.

This seems to be yet another step the Pope has taken to move the Catholic Church toward a more accepting platform of religious tolerance. It’s been clear from the get-go that Pope Francis had a goal to change the environment within the Vatican. An environment that had driven many away from the Catholic Church in recent years.

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/pope-francis-removes-u-s-cardinal-popular-with-conservatives-from-powerful-vatican-position/

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Pope Francis announced changes in the influential Vatican office that evaluates and nominates candidates for bishop around the world.

Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington was appointed Monday to the Congregation for Bishops. The pope also reconfirmed Cardinal William Levada, the former archbishop of San Francisco and former head of the Vatican's orthodoxy watchdog office.

Some members of the congregation were very conspicuously not retained. Cardinal Raymond Burke, former Archbishop of St. Louis, will no longer serve in the office.

Burke is considered an outspoken critic of abortion and same-sex marriage and a favorite of conservative Catholics. He has also been publicly critical of Francis's changes in the direction of the church. Burke retains his position as the head of the Vatican high court, the Apostolic Signatura.

Burke drew attention in the U.S. in 2004 when he said he would deny Communion to Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, a Roman Catholic who supports abortion rights.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

I wonder what JoeRatz thinks.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, there is a tradeoff. Pope risk alienating those that have been with Church a long time, sometime the most fervent for a chance to appeal to a more liberal audience. Well, that's is his prerogative but what if with all those changes those more moderate don't come either way? Religion is just loosing adepts a cross the board and no amount of pandering if going to get them back. And that is that.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

this major change affects nearly zero people.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

You're an idiot.

It's not meant to affect anybody in the short term. It's meant to try and make the Roman Catholic church more tolerant. The sooner they forget about gay marriage, the sooner gay Catholics won't feel so alienated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Master_Live said:

Well, there is a tradeoff. Pope risk alienating those that have been with Church a long time, sometime the most fervent for a chance to appeal to a more liberal audience. Well, that's is his prerogative but what if with all those changes those more moderate don't come either way? Religion is just loosing adepts a cross the board and no amount of pandering if going to get them back. And that is that.

Americans are the most moderate Catholics, so I don't think he's alienating anybody.

I very much doubt he thinks this will have people flocking back to the Church. He's playing the long game.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Master_Live

@airshocker said:

@Master_Live said:

Americans are the most moderate Catholics, so I don't think he's alienating anybody.

You really think that? Good for you.

@airshocker said:

@Master_Live said:

I very much doubt he thinks this will have people flocking back to the Church. He's playing the long game.

There is no long game, religion is going down.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Ahhh. I love Cardinal Burke. I've met him and he is a very awesome person, it was a privilege to hear him speak. Although, it's not uncommon for popes to remove previous appointments and put new people in their place. It has little to do with Burke's stance on theological issues as Pope Francis agrees with everything that Burke does. He's already said he's going to change Vatican leadership, suppose he had to start with someone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Master_Live said:

@airshocker said:

@Master_Live said:

You really think that? Good for you.

@airshocker said:

@Master_Live said:

There is no long game, religion is going down.

What are hardcore Catholics going to do? Absolutely nothing.

Just because you don't think there is one doesn't mean there isn't. Everything points to this Pope trying to make the church more moderate. That's a long process.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How horribly painful that must be. And to be sealed up in a small, dark metal tin on top of that?

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

For some reason I initially misread the title as: "Pope caning some bishops".

:|

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

Not right now, but this is going to snowball into something a lot bigger.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

He is going casual. It worked out for a certain game company.... for a short period of time. ;)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

As a friend said to me once, "This is a Pope who knows how to Pope". So glad to finally see a Christian who at least makes an honest attempt to actually act like Jesus. If Jesus was a historical man and the bible is an even remotely accurate description of his teachings, he would be appalled by how much his teachings have been twisted and mangled by modern day "Christians", especially in the USA. But let's be honest, not one elected Republican in this country is an actual Christian.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Is this thread suppose to make LGBT community and Atheist happy?

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

The real story here is that the position of pope still exists and people actually give a shit what he does.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

@airshocker said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

You're an idiot.

It's not meant to affect anybody in the short term. It's meant to try and make the Roman Catholic church more tolerant. The sooner they forget about gay marriage, the sooner gay Catholics won't feel so alienated.

Religion is pointless as a whole so my point still stands. No real problems will be solved by this decision.

Also, it's rude to call people names. I expect better from you, honestly. Next time, eliminate the insult and stick to just the reply. It'll make OT suck less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@4myAmuzumament said:

@airshocker said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

You're an idiot.

Religion is pointless as a whole so my point still stands. No real problems will be solved by this decision.

Also, it's rude to call people names. I expect better from you, honestly. Next time, eliminate the insult and stick to just the reply. It'll make OT suck less.

Until you're the end all, be all authority, no, your point doesn't stand.

Waaaaaah, cry more about it. If you say something stupid, I'm going to tell you so.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Now if only he'd excommunicate those priests who love children...

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

@airshocker said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

@airshocker said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

You're an idiot.

Until you're the end all, be all authority, no, your point doesn't stand.

Waaaaaah, cry more about it. If you say something stupid, I'm going to tell you so.

What real problems have been solved by this decision? None. You're on the losing end of an uphill battle here.

Surely you can see that this helps absolutely zero people.

Also, it looks like you have a problem with respect and civil discussion.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

Dave you are honorable

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

Has anyone else been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer from this website's re-design?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Stesilaus:

Same here, I was l thinking Francis was going all badass in a cruel and unusual punishment sort of way.

Anyways making a group of people more moderate overall is a decent way to bring more people into and back into the fold.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

so long as this can lead into removing pedophile priests and bishops, i'm not totally sure what this does

cool that the pope is moving towards a more accepting church, but frankly, i don't really care for Burke; his removal seems totally inconsequential

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 4myAmuzumament

@supa_badman: exactly. if the pope really wanted to do something, he'd bring up their names and order manhunts for the scum in their religion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Pope is flexin' that's gangster, good for Catholics.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Master_Live

Since he is so cool and hip, how about he says he would wish there would be a woman Pope before 2050.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@junglist101 said:

The real story here is that the position of pope still exists and people actually give a shit what he does.

True.

Its a shame we live in a world that is still ruled by something as purely false and fictitious as religion. Id have hoped by the year 2013 we would live in an age of science, fact and reality.

Loading Video...

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Why is a religious denomination, with their own city-state and such influence over the world, allowed to exist?

That's what I want to know.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

@Master_Live said:

And? Nothing is lost. It won't stop those Christians from being Christians. There's nothing they can do about it. Now if they want to preach they can start their own religion and do it to like minded people. I'm glad their being silenced, because those people aren't actually with the Church as far as I a concerned.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Until this actual institution changes its immoral stances on social issues, among other things, this is meaningless

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Live

@LightR said:

@Master_Live said:

And? Nothing is lost. It won't stop those Christians from being Christians. There's nothing they can do about it. Now if they want to preach they can start their own religion and do it to like minded people. I'm glad their being silenced, because those people aren't actually with the Church as far as I a concerned.

What the hell are you talking about, the most fervent are usually those that give more money to the Church, those who attend religiously (mind the pun), those who give more of their time to the Church. Yes, they would continue to be Christians but not with the Catholic Church, so how is that helping the Catholic Church? And I laugh because I don't give a flying **** about the Catholic Church or any church for that matter but you really think that "liberalizing" the Church on the margins will make liberals go to the Church? If I had to bet they won't get one or the other.

And is anyone here, in GS forums, sincerely willing to say that after the Pope comments had they already or will they in the future start going to church, a Catholic one mind you, every Sunday? I'm many things but I'm not a hypocrite. The church has nothing to offer me, did this "change in tone" did it for you? If it did, good you.