Politifact: Lie of the Year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
Lie of the Year: the Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney-Jeeps-China/
#2 Posted by Aljosa23 (25131 posts) -

Should have been the one where Romney said Obama went on an "apology tour" when he was first elected. It's hilarious how many times he parroted that yet all the fact checking sites said it was a lie countless times.

#3 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.
#4 Posted by Blue-Sky (10333 posts) -

I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Laihendi

Can you link me to when he said that? And which budget was he referring to?

#5 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -

Should have been the one where Romney said Obama went on an "apology tour" when he was first elected. It's hilarious how many times he parroted that yet all the fact checking sites said it was a lie countless times.

Aljosa23
Mitt Romney kept saying that there's a government takeover of healthcare: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/dec/16/lie-year-government-takeover-health-care/
#6 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Laihendi
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/07/barack-obama/obama-says-budget-plan-cut-deficits-4-trillion/ Looks like we're going need to wait 10 years.
#7 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Blue-Sky

From the first debate.

#8 Posted by Aljosa23 (25131 posts) -

Whoa, you must be a time traveler. How is life in 2022?

#9 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
Lets revisit this thread in ten years
#10 Posted by Blue-Sky (10333 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Laihendi

From the first debate.

From Politifact's analysis:

"To the extent that long term predictions hold up, the presidents big number is accurate, but he takes credit for changes that took place outside of his budget proposal."

Basically the numbers are correct, but he's taking credit for savings that will happen whether his budget passes or not. You're saying that this deserves the lie of the year award over Romney's Jeep statement?

#11 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

It must be an honor for Romney to receive such a prestigious award.

#12 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Aljosa23

I don't have to time travel to be able to read.

#13 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Blue-Sky

From the first debate.

"To the extent that long term predictions hold up, the presidents big number is accurate, but he takes credit for changes that took place outside of his budget proposal."

Basically the numbers are correct, but he's taking credit for savings that will happen whether his budget passes or not. You're saying that this deserves the lie of the year award over Romney's Jeep statement?

No I said it deserves an honorable mention.
#14 Posted by GreySeal9 (24500 posts) -

It was the Jeep lie that made me question the notion that Romney and his camp were confident. To me, a lie of such magnitude that it has Chrystler and GM CEOs calling you out can only be intense desperation. In this case, it was desperation to move the numbers in Ohio.

#15 Posted by Aljosa23 (25131 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.Laihendi

I don't have to time travel to be able to read.

I'm not reading that, just give me a breakdown.

#16 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

From the first debate.

Laihendi

No I said it deserves an honorable mention.

OT's reading comprehension is lacking lai
#17 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

There were so many of them I'm surprised they could only pick one lie of the year

#18 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

How is it a lie when that budget has never existed in reality? Both parties won't let the budget either side wants pass and exist...

If Obama got all the spending cuts he wanted and all the tax increases he wanted then you can argue the merits or demerits of them... But to argue he lied when his budget has never been put into effect is laughable.

#19 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I think Obama's "My budget will cut the deficit by $4 Trillion over 10 years." deserves an honorable mention.C2N2

How is it a lie when that budget has never existed in reality? Both parties won't let the budget either side wants pass and exist...

If Obama got all the spending cuts he wanted and all the tax increases he wanted then you can argue the merits or demerits of them... But to argue he lied when his budget has never been put into effect is laughable.

It's a lie because he's claiming trillions of dollars in spending cuts as part of his budget plan that will happen (or already have happened) regardless of his budget plan and have nothing to do with his budget plan.
#20 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

It's a lie because he's claiming trillions of dollars in spending cuts as part of his budget plan that will happen (or already have happened) regardless of his budget plan and have nothing to do with his budget plan.

Once again because you don't seem to comprehend the words I just typed... President Obama's budget, as in the one that his staff created and wrote, has never and will never be passed in our congress... The budget that Republicans have written collectively, has never and will never pass our congress... Our budget as it is now has been a series of small negotiated trimmings taken one at a time to the previous years' budgets.

What Obama promises is based on HIS budget, with HIS spending cuts, and HIS tax increases. So once again I ask, how is he lying when that budget has never existed anywhere other than on paper? Do you think the president unilaterally creates and imposes budgets on this country? I fail to see where the basis of your argument is? His budget HASN'T passed nor will it ever so long as Republicans control the House... I don't know where it is you are coming from in regards to his budget plans being reality and already in existance... Because they most certainly are not... If they were we would have tax rates and budget cuts akin to Clinton's second term, which we do not.

#21 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="C2N2"]

C2N2

Once again because you don't seem to comprehend the words I just typed... President Obama's budget, as in the one that his staff created and wrote, has never and will never be passed in our congress... The budget that Republicans have written collectively, has never and will never pass our congress... Our budget as it is now has been a series of small negotiated trimmings taken one at a time to the previous years' budgets.

What Obama promises is based on HIS budget, with HIS spending cuts, and HIS tax increases. So once again I ask, how is he lying when that budget has never existed anywhere other than on paper? Do you think the president unilaterally creates and imposes budgets on this country? I fail to see where the basis of your argument is? His budget HASN'T passed nor will it ever so long as Republicans control the House... I don't know where it is you are coming from in regards to his budget plans being reality and already in existance... Because they most certainly are not... If they were we would have tax rates and budget cuts akin to Clinton's second term, which we do not.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/07/barack-obama/obama-says-budget-plan-cut-deficits-4-trillion/
#22 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="C2N2"]

C2N2

:lol:

First of all, it (Obama's budget plan) includes about $1 trillion in cuts that have already occurred, pursuant to last years budget deal with Congress. The administration doesnt hide this the new campaign economic booklet notes that The President has already signed $1 trillion in spending cuts into law. But signed into law does not equal due only to me. Congress, specificallycongressional Republicans, had something to do with those reductions as well.

Second, a big chunk of the future reductions are due to the end of major combat operations inIraqandAfghanistan. About $848 billion of the cuts come from this category, to be precise.

Washington Postfact checkerGlenn Kesslerjudges this to be phantom savings, akin to claiming credit for a tuition-size reduction in your household budget the year after your child graduates from college.

source

Obama's proposed budget plan is largely based on things that have already happened or are going to happen regardless of his budget plan. This criticism has nothing to do with Republicans, so I don't know why you are trying to blame them.

#23 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] It's a lie because he's claiming trillions of dollars in spending cuts as part of his budget plan that will happen (or already have happened) regardless of his budget plan and have nothing to do with his budget plan.dave123321

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/07/barack-obama/obama-says-budget-plan-cut-deficits-4-trillion/

From the very article you linked:

"Jason Peuquet, the committees research director, says it delivers about $2.4 trillion in new savings." - From the bi-partisan committee the article uses as a baseline.

Just after that:

"In order to get to $4 trillion, you need to add the savings that stem from spending cuts in 2011, both from the budget deal and earlier in the year. Obama includes those in his tally but they did not originate with his budget proposal." - So their basis of it being a "half-truth" are that Obama didn't untilaterally create the cuts. Imagine that, a democratic government where power is separated and one branch didn't act independent... Revolutionary.

#24 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="C2N2"]

C2N2

"Jason Peuquet, the committees research director, says it delivers about $2.4 trillion in new savings." - From the bi-partisan committee the article uses as a baseline.

Just after that:

"In order to get to $4 trillion, you need to add the savings that stem from spending cuts in 2011, both from the budget deal and earlier in the year. Obama includes those in his tally but they did not originate with his budget proposal." - So their basis of it being a "half-truth" are that Obama didn't untilaterally create the cuts. Imagine that, a democratic government where power is separated and one branch didn't act independent... Revolutionary.

Stay on point
#25 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] It's a lie because he's claiming trillions of dollars in spending cuts as part of his budget plan that will happen (or already have happened) regardless of his budget plan and have nothing to do with his budget plan.Laihendi

First of all, it (Obama's budget plan) includes about $1 trillion in cuts that have already occurred, pursuant to last years budget deal with Congress. The administration doesnt hide this the new campaign economic booklet notes that The President has already signed $1 trillion in spending cuts into law. But signed into law does not equal due only to me. Congress, specificallycongressional Republicans, had something to do with those reductions as well.

Second, a big chunk of the future reductions are due to the end of major combat operations inIraqandAfghanistan. About $848 billion of the cuts come from this category, to be precise.

Washington Postfact checkerGlenn Kesslerjudges this to be phantom savings, akin to claiming credit for a tuition-size reduction in your household budget the year after your child graduates from college.

source

Obama's proposed budget plan is largely based on things that have already happened or are going to happen regardless of his budget plan. This criticism has nothing to do with Republicans, so I don't know why you are trying to blame them.

Woah, the Christian Science Monitor sounds like a very non-partisan and unbiased place to receive news on a Democrat president.

#26 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"] http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/07/barack-obama/obama-says-budget-plan-cut-deficits-4-trillion/dave123321

Just after that:

Stay on point

What point? NOTHING the President says or does in regard to law is done by him alone. Unless it is a time of total war mobilization and congress gives the president war powers, the president president has no power to pass anything himself. In fact if one party can achieve a two-thirds supermajority in the senate and a majority in the house, the President of the United States can be shut out of the entire democratic process all together... To call him a liar because he claimed credit for cuts that he participated in negotiating is ridiculous.

#27 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

C2N2

source

Woah, the Christian Science Monitor sounds like a very non-partisan and unbiased place to receive news on a Democrat president.

Don't judge based on name alone. Provide actual arguments for a major conservative bias.
#28 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="C2N2"]

Just after that:

C2N2

Stay on point

What point? NOTHING the President says or does in regard to law is done by him alone. Unless it is a time of total war mobilization and congress gives the president war powers, the president president has no power to pass anything himself. In fact if one party can achieve a two-thirds supermajority in the senate and a majority in the house, the President of the United States can be shut out of the entire democratic process all together... To call him a liar because he claimed credit for cuts that he participated in negotiating is ridiculous.

Fine
#29 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

C2N2

source

Actually the CS Monitor is one of the most non-biased, even-balanced news publications in this country. Don't the name fool you.
#30 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
See, worlock is open minded and doesn't make snap judgements
#31 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -
See, worlock is open minded and doesn't make snap judgementsdave123321
Unfortunatly that journalistic integrity is probably why the CS Monitor struggles financially.