Plan to split California into 6 states advances

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

There are very few states with the same name as a major city within the state. There's New York and Oklahoma (Oklahoma City.) Somehow a state named San Diego (where I live) wouldn't sound right, sounds a little off. The great state of San Diego. No that's sounds funny. So who can come up with a name for the state for the San Diego region?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd rather they not waste time and resources on something this stupid. How about instead, they start addressing their massive state debt?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@XaosII said:

@The-Apostle said:

I'm not seeing the problem.

You don't see the problem in the fact that since its becoming so difficult for a party to win that instead of changing people's hearts and minds, its better to change the system so that it's more beneficial to them?

You would be gaming the election system rather than actually following any kind of democratic process. You don't see that as problematic?

Actually, I heard the guy who proposed it is an Independent.

I'm aware of that. Splitting up California into 6 states allow either party to pick up more senate and house seats by gerrymandering the subdivided states further. But i wasn't asking the person who introduced the bill; i was asking you: You don't see a problem when the most effective way for a party to win is to game the election process instead of winning over people's minds?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@XaosII said:

@The-Apostle said:

@XaosII said:

@The-Apostle said:

You don't see the problem in the fact that since its becoming so difficult for a party to win that instead of changing people's hearts and minds, its better to change the system so that it's more beneficial to them?

You would be gaming the election system rather than actually following any kind of democratic process. You don't see that as problematic?

Actually, I heard the guy who proposed it is an Independent.

I'm aware of that. Splitting up California into 6 states allow either party to pick up more senate and house seats by gerrymandering the subdivided states further. But i wasn't asking the person who introduced the bill; i was asking you: You don't see a problem when the most effective way for a party to win is to game the election process instead of winning over people's minds?

No, I don't. As long as the new state I'm living in at the time of the split (which TBH I don't ever see happening) is Conservative, I'm happy. I can't stand California as it is now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Another Republican gerrymandering scheme only now they want to re-draw state lines. Funny shit indeed.

If the lines more accurately represent each state, why not?

"If" they do then that's fine. No reason for me to think this is anything more than GOP vote cheating as of now though.

What are you talking about? Creating different states would bring two more senators a piece. Not to mention representatives for states specifically.

That's pretty damn good odds for either party to pick up more seats.

I was talking more about the electoral college. The GOP knows they will never win California so the next best thing is to split the state up so they at least get something.

But the fact remains that there are certain parts of California that ARE Republican. This would attempt to correct that. As well as create competition between the six states.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@XaosII said:

@The-Apostle said:

That's exactly what the GOP just got busted for in Florida

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Hope it passes. I'll be voting yes if it's on the ballot.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I have been a Californian (SF Bay Area) for my entire life and intent to stay here for my entire life. I don't support this.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@sonicare said:

I'd rather they not waste time and resources on something this stupid. How about instead, they start addressing their massive state debt?

Politicians addressing actual problems? In America? You're in the wrong dimension. :P