Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) suspended from A&E

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by lostrib (36902 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@dave123321 said:

Because asking for your age to me would suggest that they think you may be older and hold more 'traditional' views on stuff.

Probably not what you would consider "traditional". As I've said before, when I was about 15 or 16 a friend came out to me before anyone else because he knew I wouldn't make fun of him or stop being friends with him because he was gay, and I also have no problems with gay couples getting married or adopting children. But, I am also a strong supporter of both constitutional and civil rights. I don't agree with Phil Robertson's religious views, but I support his civil right to be a Christian and not get fired for it as much as I support someone's right to not be fired for being black or gay or too old.

No on is violating his civil rights nor his constitutional rights, and he didn't get fired. What about this do you not understand?

#202 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

The thing I don't get is, A&E hired this family to do a reality show knowing that they are a conservative christian family. They heavily promoted the show as being about a conservative christian family. They sell all kinds of Duck Dynasty products in Christian bookstores. And now that Phil Robertson gets asked point blank about his views on homosexuality, he expresses his views and ONLY NOW is A&E taken aback by them? It isn't like they just now suddenly learned his beliefs.

Serious Question. How old are you?

Because it would help a lot of people understand your perspective

He must be older than you then because I understood it perfectly. >_>

I'm old enough to pay federal income taxes, own a house, be married, and have a couple of kids. But of course some sniveling little shits here seem to think that if my views are different than theirs then I must be a little kid.

Pretty much... My views fall in line with Robertson anyway... >_>

And the sad thing that a lot of people on here don't realize is that my views actually DON'T fall in line with his. Hell, I had a friend in high school come out to me before anyone else because he knew he could trust me not to make fun of him for being gay. And I have no problem with gays getting married either. But, I also respect Phil Robertson's right to express his religious views when ASKED about them, and his civil right not to be fired/suspended from his job based on his religious beliefs whether or not I agree with them.

no one is violating his civil rights

I'm sure Bull Connor said the same thing

#203 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@dave123321 said:

Because asking for your age to me would suggest that they think you may be older and hold more 'traditional' views on stuff.

Probably not what you would consider "traditional". As I've said before, when I was about 15 or 16 a friend came out to me before anyone else because he knew I wouldn't make fun of him or stop being friends with him because he was gay, and I also have no problems with gay couples getting married or adopting children. But, I am also a strong supporter of both constitutional and civil rights. I don't agree with Phil Robertson's religious views, but I support his civil right to be a Christian and not get fired for it as much as I support someone's right to not be fired for being black or gay or too old.

He was not fired for being a Christian. Actually he was not fired at all. He's "on hiatus", which, honestly probably means very little. As I understand the next season has already been filmed with him.

#204 Posted by lostrib (36902 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

I'm old enough to pay federal income taxes, own a house, be married, and have a couple of kids. But of course some sniveling little shits here seem to think that if my views are different than theirs then I must be a little kid.

And the sad thing that a lot of people on here don't realize is that my views actually DON'T fall in line with his. Hell, I had a friend in high school come out to me before anyone else because he knew he could trust me not to make fun of him for being gay. And I have no problem with gays getting married either. But, I also respect Phil Robertson's right to express his religious views when ASKED about them, and his civil right not to be fired/suspended from his job based on his religious beliefs whether or not I agree with them.

Are you serious? You're comparing setting dogs on black people to suspending someone for making offensive remarks about gay people, and now it looks like he may have made some insensitive remarks about black people a well.

#205 Edited by CommandoAgent (769 posts) -

Cant anyone see this as an Publicity stunt before Christmas and the New Years? kinda like Brain the Dog from Family Guy. After Phill comes back the show will have an boost of rating.

#206 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@BranKetra said:

@plageus900 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

How dare he not believe gay marriage is ok! Not being tolerant of everything and anybody will not be tolerated!

Intolerance towards someone because of their sexual orientation is the same as intolerance towards someone because of their skin color.

Both are forms intolerance, but let us be aware that there are differences between skin pigmentation and psychology.

Correct, but both are traits that people are born with.

You can change your skin color via your environment.

Don't dare compare the social struggles on minorities to gays. You can hide being gay, but you can't hide being black in Mississippi in the 1960s.

#207 Posted by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@dave123321 said:

No on is violating his civil rights nor his constitutional rights, and he didn't get fired. What about this do you not understand?

persecution complex

#208 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@Fightingfan:

The gays will use any minorities struggle if it helps their agenda.

#209 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

Are you serious? You're comparing setting dogs on black people to suspending someone for making offensive remarks about gay people, and now it looks like he may have made some insensitive remarks about black people a well.

I haven't heard his remarks about black people, but if you have proof and aren't just pulling it out of nowhere, feel free to share. Bull Connor was totally insistent that what he was doing was not discrimination, he was just doing what he thought was right, which is was led to the civil rights act of 1964. Funny thing about it, people think that the civil rights act only applies to black people. It doesn't; it applies to all races, religions, genders, orientations, etc.

#210 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@dave123321 said:

He was not fired for being a Christian. Actually he was not fired at all. He's "on hiatus", which, honestly probably means very little. As I understand the next season has already been filmed with him.

That would be a smart move on the part of A&E. The suspension meant they hadn't totally decided to do with him yet, but it was still a knee jerk reaction to pressure from fringe organizations, and a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

#211 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

#212 Posted by lostrib (36902 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

I haven't heard his remarks about black people, but if you have proof and aren't just pulling it out of nowhere, feel free to share. Bull Connor was totally insistent that what he was doing was not discrimination, he was just doing what he thought was right, which is was led to the civil rights act of 1964. Funny thing about it, people think that the civil rights act only applies to black people. It doesn't; it applies to all races, religions, genders, orientations, etc.

There are no civil rights issues here

#213 Posted by The-Apostle (12189 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

Right... And I'm sure if he said something that was offensive to Christians he'd still get suspended, mirite? /sarcasm

#214 Edited by dave123321 (34058 posts) -

Freedom from consequence is not a civil right.

#215 Posted by dave123321 (34058 posts) -

His statement about the area in the Jim Crow days:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

#216 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@BranKetra said:

@plageus900 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

How dare he not believe gay marriage is ok! Not being tolerant of everything and anybody will not be tolerated!

Intolerance towards someone because of their sexual orientation is the same as intolerance towards someone because of their skin color.

Both are forms intolerance, but let us be aware that there are differences between skin pigmentation and psychology.

Sexual attraction has a psychological component, but is biological in nature--just like skin pigmentation.

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@plageus900: I do believe it's a choice that's made. I'm not going to argue though with all the ppl that may quote me. Just my belief.

Your belief is wrong and you should update it to a correct belief.

People aren't born gay period, stop kidding yourself lol. It's a choice. My uncle was married for the longest and had two kids. They got divorced and his ex CHOSE to turn lesbian.

#217 Edited by chernoalpha527 (165 posts) -

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

I love this second comment by him. He says that we are ALL created by god including homosexuals but says that homosexuality is "Not right". If homosexuality is not right and all homosexuals are sent to hell then why would god even create homosexuals if he hates them so much?Like what is the point? Then he also says that god loves ALL of humanity but sends homosexuals to eternal punishment in hell for simply being attracted to the same sex. This makes no sense.

But honestly I could care less about his views its exactly what I expected from him.

#218 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

LOL this thread is cancer

I am so glad you people don't exist in my country

#219 Posted by lostrib (36902 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

Right... And I'm sure if he said something that was offensive to Christians he'd still get suspended, mirite? /sarcasm

That's entirely irrelevant. It's not a civil rights issue. And it's quite possible he would be suspended if he made offensive comments about Christians

#220 Edited by lostrib (36902 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Freedom from consequence is not a civil right.

Plus, it is more than likely that he has a morals clause in his contract (it's rather common for celebrities)

#221 Posted by thegerg (15215 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage: What leads you to believe that she made a choice to be a lesbian?

#222 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage:

I don't think its a choice. I mean one can get married to the opposite sex and still have bisexual and homosexual tendencies. I do however believe its a disorder for the most part just like people attracted to children, animals as well as a lot of the crazy fetishes out there. But because gay people think there is nothing wrong with them, we are not allowed to think like that.

#223 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage: What leads you to believe that she made a choice to be a lesbian?

Why stay married 22 years living a lie? Plus after they divorced she lived with another guy for two years. After that her CHOICE was to turn lesbo. Not that hard to figure out really.

#224 Posted by BranKetra (48602 posts) -

This thread needs science.

#225 Edited by thegerg (15215 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage: You have yet to give any evidence that she made a choice about her sexuality. You can make assumptions all day, but they don't mean shit.

#226 Posted by Chutebox (37209 posts) -

A&E are idiots and that's all really.

Why people don't grow a pair and stop being offended by every fucking thing anyone says is beyond me.

#227 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@thegerg: LOL, common sense is the evidence. It's cool though brah think what you want, doesn't bother me.

#228 Posted by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@thegerg said:

Why stay married 22 years living a lie? Plus after they divorced she lived with another guy for two years. After that her CHOICE was to turn lesbo. Not that hard to figure out really.

Peer pressure is a hell of a drug. Don't be an idiot, it isnt a choice

#229 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@thegerg said:

Didn't know you met her, man. Small world huh?

#230 Edited by thegerg (15215 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage: No, it's not. People change. It's not common sense to believe that those changes are all by choice. It's also not common sense to believe that she wasn't attracted to women earlier.

Ignorance FTL.

#231 Posted by Chutebox (37209 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage: Don't bother, bud.

#233 Posted by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@wis3boi said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@thegerg said:

Didn't know you met her, man. Small world huh?

Must be fun living on another planet.

#234 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -
@Chutebox said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage: Don't bother, bud.

haha yup.

#235 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@Makhaidos said:

@BranKetra said:

@plageus900 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

Sexual attraction has a psychological component, but is biological in nature--just like skin pigmentation.

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@plageus900: I do believe it's a choice that's made. I'm not going to argue though with all the ppl that may quote me. Just my belief.

People aren't born gay period, stop kidding yourself lol. It's a choice. My uncle was married for the longest and had two kids. They got divorced and his ex CHOSE to turn lesbian.

How do you know her being lesbian wasn't the reason they got a divorce?

Plus how in the flying fuck are you going to tell me you know for a fact they aren't born gay? Are you in their shoes? Every homosexual must be lying when they say they've felt their attraction to the same sex since they can remember, huh?

#236 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@Makhaidos said:

@BranKetra said:

@plageus900 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

How do you know her being lesbian wasn't the reason they got a divorce?

Plus how in the flying fuck are you going to tell me you know for a fact they aren't born gay? Are you in their shoes? Every homosexual must be lying when they say they've felt their attraction to the same sex since they can remember, huh?

I know for a fact their divorce was bc she was having an affair with another guy. Not going to argue though it's pointless.

#237 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@thegerg said:

yeah, why on earth would someone who lives in a homophobic culture pretend to be straight or ignore their homosexual urges? Up until recently, being openly gay was social suicide.

also, if you didn't know, there is such a thing as bisexuality. She could have easily only gone for men intentionally.

your anecdote of "she used to be with guys, but now she's with girls" is meaningless without knowing her reasons and emotions.

#238 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage: 'I know for a fact their divorce was bc she was having an affair with another guy. Not going to argue though it's pointless.'

So?

How many wieners your aunt went after doesn't change the fact that homosexuals have a natural attraction to the same sex. Just like you're naturally attracted to women.

Jesus Christ I feel like I'm talking to this right now:

#239 Edited by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@Makhaidos said:

@BranKetra said:

@plageus900 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

Uncle must not have been a very good lover.

#240 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

A&E are idiots and that's all really.

Why people don't grow a pair and stop being offended by every fucking thing anyone says is beyond me.

When you're in charge of a large media corporation or company feel free to enforce or not enforce what you want.

#243 Edited by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

Have you always been an atheist or against religion based on it being against homosexuality?

#244 Edited by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

I'm beginning to think that 90% of the people in off topic are in fact homosexual.

why?

I dunno about 90%, but those who heavily fight against this type of stuff many times end up being closeted gays anyways. Ted Haggard is my favorite example on the bigger scale

#246 Posted by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@wis3boi:

Or what about the people who go out of their way straight to their defense? Now I don't hate the gays. I actually feel sorry for them. I also however don't feel that their agenda should get in the way of my right to be an asshole. I'm tired of this sensitivity shit that our country has forced us into. Freedom of speech has been replaced with politically correct. Being gay is a disorder anyway. But for some reason its normal and they were just "Born that way" and everybody is supposed to love them regardless of morals or religious beliefs.

what sort of nonsense is this?

#247 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@wis3boi:

Why is it nonsense?

#248 Posted by wis3boi (31367 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@wis3boi:

Why is it nonsense?

- gay isn't a 'disorder', its normal in all of nature, thousands of species have it

- freedom of speech protects you from government action based on some things you say. If I open a shop I can refuse service to you just because I want to. This duck guy said something ignorant and bigoted and felt the wrath of his employer, it's in their power to so.

#249 Posted by deeliman (2432 posts) -

Are people still going on about this? The duck dynasty people are FAKES. They're not really rednecks, they're just pretending to be for the show. Everyone who has their panties in a bunch for their right to free speech is an idiot.

#250 Posted by thegerg (15215 posts) -

@mrxboxone: Keep in mind that not all religion is against homosexuality.