Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) suspended from A&E

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -

@JML897 said:

Can't wait for someone (The-Apostle maybe?) to yell about freedom of speech.

Actually, I prefer keeping my mouth shut on this issue. But he does have the right to say what he wants... >_>

#152 Edited by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

A&E is being hetero-phobic but this isn't a big deal nor the first time whatever this is happened

#153 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

He stated his religious beliefs and got fired for it. EEOC act of 1964 states that a person can not be fired based on their age, gender, race, RELIGIOON, etc.

LOL. I had a friend make this exact same bullshit argument, this was my reply then.

That's not what happened though. He was fired for what he said, not for who he was. Freedom of speech does not mean you have freedom from consequence. For Example, you can't yell "BOMB" on a plane and then claim free speech. Robertsons employer had a specific trust and expectation of his statements and behavior. He broke that trust and was let go. It's the same thing that happened to Alec Baldwin. Why was there no outcry for his free speech? He acted like a dumbass, said some dumbass things, and was fired. Just as it should be.

#154 Edited by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

Shouldn't he be able to say what he believes without getting suspended from his job?

As long as he and his employer both agree on the terms of his employment, yes. No one is disallowing that.

"After all, the country is founded upon free speech."

And this issue has nothing to do with free speech.

Ah yes, it's always great when people don't understand Freedom of Speech in America

#155 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@JML897 said:

Can't wait for someone (The-Apostle maybe?) to yell about freedom of speech.

Actually, I prefer keeping my mouth shut on this issue. But he does have the right to say what he wants... >_>

Well he does, and it looks like A&E has the right to suspend him for what he said.

#156 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7740 posts) -

There is no biological evidence to prove people are born gay. If that were true being gay would be a disease which its not.

Sexual orientation is immutable. You are a degenerate.

#157 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@huggybear1020 said:

A&E is going to get in big trouble for this. He stated his religious beliefs and got fired for it. EEOC act of 1964 states that a person can not be fired based on their age, gender, race, RELIGIOON, etc. I don't agree with his views, and I don't watch his show. But I wouldn't want to take the right to watch it away from other people. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T WATCH IT.

First off, he was NOT fired. Do a little research before posting.

Secondly, this is not about his religion. This is about him publicly making disparaging remarks about people.

What research do you think I haven't done? I read what he said. In layman's terms he said, "Being gay isn't for me. I prefer women." He also said something to the effect of how he would not disrespect someone just for being different from him, but most of the slanted, biased articles like to leave that part out. I don't understand why a men's fashion magazine is asking a duck hunter for his views on polarizing, heavy-handed political issues in the first place. Duck Dynasty is about a rural Louisiana family who practices traditional Christian values. If that offends you, don't watch it.

#158 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

He stated his religious beliefs and got fired for it. EEOC act of 1964 states that a person can not be fired based on their age, gender, race, RELIGIOON, etc.

LOL. I had a friend make this exact same bullshit argument, this was my reply then.

That's not what happened though. He was fired for what he said, not for who he was. Freedom of speech does not mean you have freedom from consequence. For Example, you can't yell "BOMB" on a plane and then claim free speech. Robertsons employer had a specific trust and expectation of his statements and behavior. He broke that trust and was let go. It's the same thing that happened to Alec Baldwin. Why was there no outcry for his free speech? He acted like a dumbass, said some dumbass things, and was fired. Just as it should be.

Did you not read what I said? This has nothing to do with the second ammendment. The EEOC act is not about freedom of speech, it is an anti-discrimation policy. If he said, "I'm an atheist and the bible is a fairy tale and anyone who believes in it is mentally retarded", the people who are hating on him right now would be jumping for joy.

#159 Posted by thegerg (14855 posts) -
#160 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Right. Gay and Lesbian organizations cry foul for his religious views, A&E suspends him over expressing his religious views because they "support the gays", but sure, he wasn't fired for anyone religious belief. I'm sure that will hold up just fine in court.

#161 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7740 posts) -

Right. Gay and Lesbian organizations cry foul for his religious views, A&E suspends him over expressing his religious views because they "support the gays", but sure, he wasn't fired for anyone religious belief. I'm sure that will hold up just fine in court.

Employers have the right to suspend or release employees for breaking their code of conduct. There won't be any lawsuit.

#162 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

Employers have the right to suspend or release employees for breaking their code of conduct. There won't be any lawsuit.

So saying he's not gay and prefers women is breaking A&E's code of conduct. Interesting if true, and a lawsuit in and of itself.

#163 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Did you not read what I said? This has nothing to do with the second ammendment. The EEOC act is not about freedom of speech, it is an anti-discrimation policy. If he said, "I'm an atheist and the bible is a fairy tale and anyone who believes in it is mentally retarded", the people who are hating on him right now would be jumping for joy.

Wait, what does the right to bear arms have to do with anything?

#164 Edited by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

So saying he's not gay and prefers women is breaking A&E's code of conduct. Interesting if true, and a lawsuit in and of itself.

...except that's not what he said.

#165 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Yes, he said he prefers a woman's vagina over a man's butthole. I was using laymen's terms.

#167 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

There is no biological evidence to prove people are born gay. If that were true being gay would be a disease which its not.

Why would being born gay be a disease? You really are a moron aren't you?

#168 Posted by Brain_Duster (389 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

You are hopeless.

#169 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Are you a retarded person? Employers can dismiss employees that break their code of conduct or express opinions that they find don't fit in line with their brand or image. You understand that the 1st amendment doesn't apply to the private sector like it does to the public, right?

Again, EEOC act of 1964 has nothing to do with free speech. Firing over religious beliefs is the equivalent of firing over race, age, gender, or sexual preference. Do a little research before you resort to personal insults.

#170 Edited by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Yes, he said he prefers a woman's vagina over a man's butthole. I was using laymen's terms.

Uh you're missing the portion where he considers homosexuals as sinners and that homosexual behavior leads to bestiality

#171 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7740 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Are you a retarded person? Employers can dismiss employees that break their code of conduct or express opinions that they find don't fit in line with their brand or image. You understand that the 1st amendment doesn't apply to the private sector like it does to the public, right?

Again, EEOC act of 1964 has nothing to do with free speech. Firing over religious beliefs is the equivalent of firing over race, age, religion, gender, or sexual preference. Do a little research before you resort to personal insults.

He wasn't fired for being a Christian he was fired for being an asshole. You can't walk into your employers office and say, 'Hey my religion says that brown people are sub-human pieces of shit!'. Your employers can't fire you for simply BEING of a certain faith, but they can certainly can your ass if you say derogatory or hateful comments.

Hiding behind the guise of religion won't hold up in court. What you're saying is absurd.

#172 Edited by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Again, EEOC act of 1964 has nothing to do with free speech. Firing over religious beliefs is the equivalent of firing over race, age, gender, or sexual preference. Do a little research before you resort to personal insults.

You should do some research. That's not what is happening.

#173 Edited by Brain_Duster (389 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Uh you're missing the portion where he considers homosexuals as sinners and that homosexual behavior leads to bestiality

And every other sin as well.

#174 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Again, religious views. He also considers premarital sex a sin. I don't agree with him but that still doesn't mean he should be fired. What if A&E fired someone for being atheist or muslim? The media would be all over that shit.

#175 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Again, he wasn't fired for his religious beliefs. He was fired for his statements. My religious beliefs could hold that blacks are degenerate animals worthy of nothing but contempt, but that doesn't mean I could go around saying making disparaging remarks about blacks in public and expect to keep my job. You employer can't fire you for being a Christian, but they sure as shit can fire you for telling your customers that they're going to Hell.

#176 Posted by Brain_Duster (389 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Again, religious views. He also considers premarital sex a sin. I don't agree with him but that still doesn't mean he should be fired. What if A&E fired someone for being atheist or muslim? The media would be all over that shit.

Beyond hopeless.

#177 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@lostrib said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

They're not firing him, they simply suspended him because of his statements. You do realize that it is pretty standard for celebrities to sign a Morals Clause, right? Which would allow them to fire/suspend him due to what he says

#178 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

The thing I don't get is, A&E hired this family to do a reality show knowing that they are a conservative christian family. They heavily promoted the show as being about a conservative christian family. They sell all kinds of Duck Dynasty products in Christian bookstores. And now that Phil Robertson gets asked point blank about his views on homosexuality, he expresses his views and ONLY NOW is A&E taken aback by them? It isn't like they just now suddenly learned his beliefs.

#179 Posted by Brain_Duster (389 posts) -

The thing I don't get is, A&E hired this family to do a reality show knowing that they are a conservative christian family. They heavily promoted the show as being about a conservative christian family. They sell all kinds of Duck Dynasty products in Christian bookstores. And now that Phil Robertson gets asked point blank about his views on homosexuality, he expresses his views and ONLY NOW is A&E taken aback by them? It isn't like they just now suddenly learned his beliefs.

There was money to be made.

#180 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

What's funny to me is how people get all butthurt over stuff like this when these reality channels aren't doing anything but pretty much exploiting southern people to begin with by using the most stereotypical cast members possible. Networks like A&E would do the exact same thing to gay people or even black people if only they could get away with it.

And most people aren't even pissed to begin with. They may act like they are but in reality, the so called shock & awe of words like this are nothing more than TMZ style celebrity entertainment.

Shows like Family Guy and South Park bash on the gays, blacks, Jews, etc all the time yet nobody has a problem with Seth Mcfarlane, Trey Parker or Matt Stone. But get a face like Phil Robertson in the spotlight and he is oh so horrible. Meanwhile I bet South Park is working on a show as we speak just as they did Michael Richards in the N***** Guy episode. If our soceity doesn't have some celeb in the hot seat, what ever would they have to talk about at work, on Facebook and on the off topic section of video game message boards.

Its also like George Zimmerman. Talking about and crying racism is is certainly a bigger issue than the people killed and wounded in the marathon bombing or three poor little girls raped and held captive for all those years. Is Phil Robertson really a bigger demon than Ariel Castro? People are sure talking about him more on television and social media.

#181 Posted by thegerg (14855 posts) -

@huggybear1020: Once again, he WAS NOT FIRED. You really have no idea what you're talking about, huh?

#182 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (857 posts) -

Shows like Family Guy and South Park bash on the gays, blacks, Jews, etc all the time yet nobody has a problem with Seth Mcfarlane, Trey Parker or Matt Stone. But get a face like Phil Robertson in the spotlight and he is oh so horrible. Meanwhile I bet South Park is working on a show as we speak just as they did Michael Richards in the N***** Guy episode. If our soceity doesn't have some celeb in the hot seat, what ever would they have to talk about at work, on Facebook and on the off topic section of video game message boards.

Family guy and south park bash everything, so there is no bigotry there. Everyone is fair game.

and as for everyone saying 'the LGBT community is intolerant of Christianity', that intolerance is reactive; they reject Christianity because Christianity rejects them.

#183 Edited by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

Family guy and south park bash everything, so there is no bigotry there. Everyone is fair game.

and as for everyone saying 'the LGBT community is intolerant of Christianity', that intolerance is reactive; they reject Christianity because Christianity rejects them.

Why would anyone be all that tolerant of a group that repeated calls them an abomination?

#184 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

There's a difference between satire, and bigotry.

#185 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin:

I see. So as long as they bash everybody, its ok? Well I hate everybody too but im sure if I went to Plesent Ridge Michigan or San Francisco California and started making fun of gay people, I would be a bigot.

And like I said. Reality television is exploiting the south by making these shows to begin with.

And you really believe that The Bible should be changed to cater to modern day politically correct Murica?

#186 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

Serious Question. How old are you?

Because it would help a lot of people understand your perspective

#187 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

How old do you think I am and why does it matter?

#188 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Mental age, or physical age?

#189 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

He must be older than you then because I understood it perfectly. >_>

#190 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm old enough to pay federal income taxes, own a house, be married, and have a couple of kids. But of course some sniveling little shits here seem to think that if my views are different than theirs then I must be a little kid.

#191 Posted by dave123321 (33773 posts) -

@huggybear1020: I think they would go the other way in giving you a false age

#192 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm old enough to pay federal income taxes, own a house, be married, and have a couple of kids. But of course some sniveling little shits here seem to think that if my views are different than theirs then I must be a little kid.

Pretty much... My views fall in line with Robertson anyway... >_>

#193 Edited by bigfootpart2 (91 posts) -

He's just lucky he said those things in America. In many other developed countries, hate speech is not protected under free speech laws. You can be jailed and fined for hate speech in Germany or France for instance. After The Holocaust, most European countries decided they weren't going to put up with that crap anymore. Can't say I blame them. Hate speech is worthless and inflammatory, and nothing good comes of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

#194 Edited by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

So people who believe being gay is a choice are mad about a guy being suspended by his employer for choosing to make statements that could cause a shit storm.

I'm looking at the people in here getting upset and taking note for next time they get all pissed off at unions and regulation on firings.

#195 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

And the sad thing that a lot of people on here don't realize is that my views actually DON'T fall in line with his. Hell, I had a friend in high school come out to me before anyone else because he knew he could trust me not to make fun of him for being gay. And I have no problem with gays getting married either. But, I also respect Phil Robertson's right to express his religious views when ASKED about them, and his civil right not to be fired/suspended from his job based on his religious beliefs whether or not I agree with them.

#196 Posted by dave123321 (33773 posts) -

Because asking for your age to me would suggest that they think you may be older and hold more 'traditional' views on stuff.

#197 Edited by dave123321 (33773 posts) -

@Ace6301: they want freedom of consequence

#198 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@huggybear1020 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@Nuck81 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

And the sad thing that a lot of people on here don't realize is that my views actually DON'T fall in line with his. Hell, I had a friend in high school come out to me before anyone else because he knew he could trust me not to make fun of him for being gay. And I have no problem with gays getting married either. But, I also respect Phil Robertson's right to express his religious views when ASKED about them, and his civil right not to be fired/suspended from his job based on his religious beliefs whether or not I agree with them.

no one is violating his civil rights

#199 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Because asking for your age to me would suggest that they think you may be older and hold more 'traditional' views on stuff.

Probably not what you would consider "traditional". As I've said before, when I was about 15 or 16 a friend came out to me before anyone else because he knew I wouldn't make fun of him or stop being friends with him because he was gay, and I also have no problems with gay couples getting married or adopting children. But, I am also a strong supporter of both constitutional and civil rights. I don't agree with Phil Robertson's religious views, but I support his civil right to be a Christian and not get fired for it as much as I support someone's right to not be fired for being black or gay or too old.

#200 Posted by dave123321 (33773 posts) -

I completely support Phil's rights to make whatever statements he wants to make as well.