PewDiePie shuts off comments

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So apparantly the most popular youtuber won't allow comments anymore. Kind of strange tbh

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

And?

Why is this even posted in Games discussion? shouldn't it be in off-topic.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I hope he closes his channel and disappears.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

How is this noteworthy?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

...ok then.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

At least I won't have to see desperate YouTubers spamming/self-promoting throughout the comments section.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

And?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

YouTube comments can be a flood of awfulness with the good getting drowned out

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jacanuk

@crimsonbrute said:

You and me both.

I am still amazed that 30million people actually like his videos. It makes me so sad for the human race and reminds me of that movie where a avg joe from 2000 comes to the future and becomes the worlds smartest man.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dave123321

It's noteworthy to those who have some level of enjoyable familiarity with him or to those that have some level of care about content creators and the audience. Not everything posted here is demanding that you guys care or made in the vain to be national news

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

It makes me so sad for the human race and reminds me of that movie where a avg joe from 2000 comes to the future and becomes the worlds smartest man.

Idiocracy. Yeah, it does seem to be moving in that direction.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jacanuk

@crimsonbrute said:
@Jacanuk said:

It makes me so sad for the human race and reminds me of that movie where a avg joe from 2000 comes to the future and becomes the worlds smartest man.

lol ya thats the one :D and yep we are sure getting a lot closer.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PannicAtack

@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not really. People have been bemoaning how stupid everybody is for as long as people have been complaining about anything.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dave123321

@PannicAtack: Yup

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I don't blame him. Other major youtube channels have been closing their comments section too. The emails for self employed subscriptions like Pewdiepie are probably overwhelming and the comments themselves as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

He's probably going to lose quite a few subs because of that...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

who?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@PannicAtack said:

@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not really. People have been bemoaning how stupid everybody is for as long as people have been complaining about anything.

Not really? have you been living under a rock for the last decade and in the last few weeks? Just look at discovery even they had to turn their educational programs into more about drunken rednecks who fake run a homebrewery, or fake search for gold or fake run around and open storage spaces or all the other reality programs

I mean you would have to be literally as dumb as the ones watching those shows to not see how stupid it is today compared to a few years ago.

Not to mention all the youtubers and twitchers who become big because kids today cant form a opinion if it hit them square in the face. And thats not even taken the feminist movement in gaming and this whole Zoe Dumb and Anita Dumber debate that aparently is a big thing somewhere.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PannicAtack

@Jacanuk said:

@PannicAtack said:

@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not really? have you been living under a rock for the last decade and in the last few weeks? Just look at discovery even they had to turn their educational programs into more about drunken rednecks who fake run a homebrewery, or fake search for gold or fake run around and open storage spaces or all the other reality programs

I mean you would have to be literally as dumb as the ones watching those shows to not see how stupid it is today compared to a few years ago.

Not to mention all the youtubers and twitchers who become big because kids today cant form a opinion if it hit them square in the face. And thats not even taken the feminist movement in gaming and this whole Zoe Dumb and Anita Dumber debate that aparently is a big thing somewhere.

You're totally right. People were way smarter in the 1990s, when teen soap operas were groundbreaking television. And in the 1980s, when the most popular cartoons existed solely to sell toys. Or in the 1970s, when people decided you didn't actually have to be good at music to be in a band. Oh wait, that happened decades earlier when the musically illiterate got record deals.

But hey, I'm sure you can actually give actual, empirical evidence for people being dumber today than they were ten or twenty years ago.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:

You and me both.

I am still amazed that 30million people actually like his videos. It makes me so sad for the human race and reminds me of that movie where a avg joe from 2000 comes to the future and becomes the worlds smartest man.

Idiocracy is the movie you're thinking of. Some people think it's happening right before our eyes, but I think that's somewhat of an exaggeration...emphasis on somewhat.

EDIT: JK, they're not exaggerating.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dave123321

Rose tinted glasses or something going on here

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerguru100

@korvus said:

He's probably going to lose quite a few subs because of that...

It's not like it matters to him. He rakes in four million dollars a year. He's set for life. Hell, maybe I should get a camera, act like an idiot in front of it, and then upload it to YouTube. I might get four million dollars a year too! :P

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should edit my post that said people were exaggerating about Idiocracy coming true.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@PannicAtack said:

You're totally right. People were way smarter in the 1990s, when teen soap operas were groundbreaking television. And in the 1980s, when the most popular cartoons existed solely to sell toys. Or in the 1970s, when people decided you didn't actually have to be good at music to be in a band. Oh wait, that happened decades earlier when the musically illiterate got record deals.

But hey, I'm sure you can actually give actual, empirical evidence for people being dumber today than they were ten or twenty years ago.

All i can say is thank you for proving my point so well.

I literally had no expectation that it would take just one post after before someone went ahead and proved my fear, so i thank you from the bottom of my "honestly are you being serious" bag.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PannicAtack

@Jacanuk said:

@PannicAtack said:

I literally had no expectation that it would take just one post after before someone went ahead and proved my fear, so i thank you from the bottom of my "honestly are you being serious" bag.

So you can't actually pull out something in support of your argument, and resort to "lol it's obvious, I'm done."

Nice job, by the way, insulting me simply because I disagreed with you. Funnily enough, if anything were to support your argument, it would be your behavior. Not mine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@gamerguru100 said:

It's not like it matters to him. He rakes in four million dollars a year. He's set for life. Hell, maybe I should get a camera, act like an idiot in front of it, and then upload it to YouTube. I might get four million dollars a year too! :P

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should edit my post that said people were exaggerating about Idiocracy coming true.

He might care soon enough...he's 5 million subs lower than last time I checked (about a week ago). No subs, no money.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Don't even know who that guy is.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#28 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Don't even know who that guy is.

la;ksdjflaksjd;f. Dur Dur Dur Hur Hur Hur alksdf;asld. I think that's what he does all day.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:

You and me both.

Why would you care? I'm sure you like to watch something that many others would hate. You should be happy for his success and for the viewers enjoyment of it. The only sad thing about the human race is all the hate, judgements of others and self righteous superiority attitudes that some have and repeatedly continue to make sure everyone hears about it, over and over as if looking for constant high fives....this is likely a good theory as to why he closed them.

The humorous yet strange part of this is, all you have to do is ignore his channel if you don't like it, but yet you want it to disappear? I never even heard of this guy so it's obviously really easy to overlook channels I would have no interest it, so I don't understand the excuse for your selfish desire to see his channel dissapear.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@dave123321 said:

YouTube comments can be a flood of awfulness with the good getting drowned out

There is no good in the the youtube comments section.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I don't blame him. The Youtube comments are one of the worst places on the internet.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dave123321

@JangoWuzHere: there is some good, but yeah the bad can drive away much of the good. Especially when there are other avenues like twitter and Facebook to communicate with the content creator

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

I don't care about pewdiepie but the YouTube community is a freaking cesspool of trolls anyway so I think all channels should do the same. Almost every channel has a little group of people who troll the channel every single day, then we have the YouTubers who shamelessly use other people's channels to promote their own, YouTuber feuds over petty crap, etc... The whole community is toxic.

And I'm so tired of hearing people talk about free-speech. First of all, these people don't have any idea how free speech works. You don't have the right to say anything you want at anytime and anywhere. For example, in the United States the first amendment ONLY prevents the government from creating laws that would prevent you from expressing yourself on public property. You have no free speech when you are part of a private business. There is no right to free speech on sites like YouTube or Twitter... PERIOD. So stop thinking they are infringing on your rights.

And the guy in this video sounds like a conspiracy theorist when he asks what people are hiding when they close comments. What are you hiding? You must be doing something wrong!! I bet you're part of the illuminati!! LOL

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PannicAtack

@hailtothequeen said:

I don't care about pewdiepie but the YouTube community is a freaking cesspool of trolls anyway so I think all channels should do the same. Almost every channel has a little group of people who troll the channel every single day, then we have the YouTubers who shamelessly use other people's channels to promote their own, YouTuber feuds over petty crap, etc... The whole community is toxic.

And I'm so tired of hearing people talk about free-speech. First of all, these people don't have any idea how free speech works. You don't have the right to say anything you want at anytime and anywhere. For example, in the United States the first amendment ONLY prevents the government from creating laws that would prevent you from expressing yourself on public property. You have no free speech when you are part of a private business. There is no right to free speech on sites like YouTube or Twitter... PERIOD. So stop thinking they are infringing on your rights.

And the guy in this video sounds like a conspiracy theorist when he asks what people are hiding when they close comments. What are you hiding? You must be doing something wrong!! I bet you're part of the illuminati!! LOL

Some stupid Let's Player checked off a box in his Youtube account options menu. Surely a sign of scandal.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

I like some of his videos. I don't get why he gets so much hate. Sure, some of his other videos are ridiculous and stupid but I just ignore those.

About the only thing I'm critical about his for is he must have been using some kind of bot view generator, and maybe still does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

Perhaps this is the first step in a gradual shift from the limelight. Perhaps he's content with the millions he's made and wants to go back to being a normal citizen again.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

There was a time when YouTube comments were friendly and engaging.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

@PannicAtack said:

@Jacanuk said:

@PannicAtack said:

So you can't actually pull out something in support of your argument, and resort to "lol it's obvious, I'm done."

Nice job, by the way, insulting me simply because I disagreed with you. Funnily enough, if anything were to support your argument, it would be your behavior. Not mine.

I never insulted you in any way. All i said is thanks for proving my point, if you take that as a insult thats on you.

Also could it be that my comment wasn't meant to start a debate about whether or not its true that the human race is deteriorating and becoming more like idiocracy? but was meant as a joke about the crazy amount who actually like to watch some swedish muppet scream his head of while pretending or playing whatever it is he do. Anyways i should probably have pointed that out when you first tried to go all mr.literal but i didn't actually think you were being serious and wanted to begin a serious debate on the human race´s intelligence.

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

Some stupid Let's Player checked off a box in his Youtube account options menu. Surely a sign of scandal.

Yep, scandals everywhere! Some of these scandals are probably to distract people from the other scandals. And pretty soon we will have scandals within scandals within scandals, like Inception.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamerguru100

@korvus said:

@gamerguru100 said:

He might care soon enough...he's 5 million subs lower than last time I checked (about a week ago). No subs, no money.

But he's already set for life. He has millions of dollars. He won't go broke unless he pisses all of his money away on expensive houses, cars, and vacations.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@korvus said:

@gamerguru100 said:

What are you talking about? i hate that i actually had to go check but he has gained over 1mill subs in the last 30 days but nice trolling and hahaha you got someone to go check.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gamerguru100

@Jacanuk said:

@korvus said:

@gamerguru100 said:

What are you talking about? i hate that i actually had to go check but he has gained over 1mill subs in the last 30 days but nice trolling and hahaha you got someone to go check.

I checked too. He has 30.3 million subs. Last time I checked he had 29.8 or 29.9 million subs. Damn, people jump on PewDiePie's dick in droves. It's like the whole population of Minneapolis (400,000) just subscribed to his channel overnight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Jacanuk said:

You do realise his is the fastest growing channel in the internet, right? Just because he has more subs than a month ago doesn't mean he doesn't have less than last week. It just means he's been getting subs like crazy. Last week he was at 33m; yesterday when I checked it was at 28m. Now it's at 30m, so either either people regretted unsubbing and it back bounced up or YT crapped out on me yesterday and showed me the wrong number.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

@crimsonbrute said:

It makes me so sad for the human race

Overreaction much? Dude's just someone who runs a Youtube channel who has found a very successful audience.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I hope people like pewdiepie stop getting millions for most stupidest videos EVER while children and women from india, africa, cambodia struggle and starve to death.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

I hope people like pewdiepie stop getting millions for most stupidest videos EVER while children and women from india, africa, cambodia struggle and starve to death.

It's not his fault people enjoy his videos. And that "children are starving to death" argument is crap. If you cycled instead of driving, didn't have internet, and other luxuries that starving people don't have maybe you could save a couple yourself. Compared to them, you're a millionaire as well.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@korvus said:

@indzman said:

It's not his fault people enjoy his videos. And that "children are starving to death" argument is crap. If you cycled instead of driving, didn't have internet, and other luxuries that starving people don't have maybe you could save a couple yourself. Compared to them, you're a millionaire as well.

Please don't tell me a smart and intelligent person like you enjoy pewdiepies videos HeHe.Still if you like him, i respect that. I personally find him very overrated , tons better gamers out there with better gameplay videos and comments which are actually helpful to gamers ( see those *** guys who shows how to beat Dark Souls Bosses easily) , yet they earn nothing compared to pew.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

Please don't tell me a smart and intelligent person like you enjoy pewdiepies videos HeHe.Still if you like him, i respect that. I personally find him very overrated , tons better gamers out there with better gameplay videos and comments which are actually helpful to gamers ( see those *** guys who shows how to beat Dark Souls Bosses easily) , yet they earn nothing compared to pew.

No, I can't stand his videos but I have nothing personal against the guy himself. If 30 million people get entertained by him so be it. I find it as bad as Arrested Development and that thing has a 9.1 rating in IMDb...Then again I find most gaming channels annoying...the only ones I watch regularly are Chris Smoove for his NBA2K videos and Jacksepticeye because he's funny and really nice to his subbers.

But more in point, I think it's wrong to say "hope he doesn't make any more money because there are people starving". Well, we could all contribute more to end world hunger and PewDiePie probably contributed more than all of us OTers combined...

From Wikipedia:

Charitable drives

PewDiePie is involved in charity fundraising drives. In February 2012, PewDiePie ran for King of the Web, an online contest. He lost the overall title, however still became the "Gaming King of the Web" for the 1–15 February 2012 voting period.[45] During the following voting period, PewDiePie won and donated his cash winnings to the World Wildlife Fund.[46][47] He has raised money for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.[14][46]

PewDiePie also began a "Water Campaign" charity, where his fans could donate money, in honor and celebration of reaching 10 million subscribers.[48] PewDiePie had the goal of raising US$250,000, however at the end of the drive, the amount raised was $446,462.[46][49][50]

In June 2014, PewDiePie, announced that a fourth charity drive for "Save the Children" raised over $630,000, surpassing a $250,000 goal.[51] Combining all the charity funds raised by PewDiePie and his fan base, a total amounting to over $1 million has been donated.[52]

So I don't think it's fair to wish someone's success ends because you don't like the (legitimate) way he's making his money...

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm being too serious, I know you meant it lightheartedly)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd turn off comments as well, the amount of derp comments specially on youtube is just....ugh...no faith