Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

https://www.change.org/p/universities-suspend-social-justice-in-universities

Petition is made by Sargon of Akkad, it's his own way of trying to normalize Universities to stop making "safe spaces" and actually teach students to prepare for the real world.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Still_Vicious
Member since 2016 • 319 Posts

Agree, degrees like Womans studies or LGBT degrees hurt more than help by wasting 4 years of time and money that could be used adapting a skill.

They also seem to produce an incredible amount of ignorance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Shouldn't universities have the freedom to offer whatever courses they want to, and shouldn't people have the freedom to choose what course they want?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Is this a big deal

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@toast_burner: So its okay to burn a ton of money into degrees that hold no value after graduation?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@still_vicious said:

Agree, degrees like Womans studies or LGBT degrees hurt more than help by wasting 4 years of time and money that could be used adapting a skill.

They also seem to produce an incredible amount of ignorance.

I view those degrees the same way I view "game design" degrees or things of that nature; you're better off studying electrical engineering or computer science than game design, it is more universal.

Likewise, if you want to study LGBT instead of psychology, or woman's studies instead of anthropology, knock yourself out. Just realize you're wasting your time.

I don't have anything against people studying those things as part of a larger curriculum, but when it is your sole focus the only thing you are showing is your closed-mindedness. College is for finding out how the world works, not thinking you know how it works while simultaneously scaring incredibly smart people into not telling/teaching you the truth.

I feel sorry for teachers/professors, I really do. They've gone from imparters of knowledge to open minds, to baby sitters that tell people what they want to hear. I graduated in 2007 and things were much better back then, but I was starting to see some changes; students calling teachers on things, saying "You can't say that".

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321

@FireEmblem_Man: we all going to die anyway so might as well just not worry about such things

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321

Just live and enjoy and try to maintain what works for you for the future

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Is this a big deal

Nah. It's one of the many things that the internet makes look like a bigger deal than it really is.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Shouldn't universities have the freedom to offer whatever courses they want to, and shouldn't people have the freedom to choose what course they want?

Agreed, academic freedom and all. Even if it doesnt potentially land a career. Plenty of majors dont really land a career either. As long as there is a market for it, it deserves to exist.

I believe in a college's right to teach biblical fundamentalism or wahhabism as well. As much as I disagree with those views. As long as they are not publically funded.

Once again, the anti-SJWs prove to be just as bad as the SJWs they oppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#11 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@toast_burner said:

Agreed, academic freedom and all.

I believe in a college's right to teach biblical fundamentalism or wahhabism as well. As much as I disagree with those views. As long as they are not publically funded.

Once again, the anti-SJWs prove to be just as bad as the SJWs they oppose. Horseshoe Theory anyone?

What would you say about someone from say, Liberty University, a Christian Quack diploma mill, being able to hand people law degrees so they can promote religious tripe like creationism in violation of the constitution? I totally agree with freedom of expression, especially in colleges, but I think there needs to be a balance that makes a real Doctorate mean something. I see these sociopathic tv preachers calling themselves dr. or some anti science christian "scientist" who is trying to prove humans rode dinosaurs, and when I look up their degree, it's in divinity, or theology! Those are not proper fields!!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@toast_burner said:

Agreed, academic freedom and all. Even if it doesnt potentially land a career. Plenty of majors dont really land a career either. As long as there is a market for it, it deserves to exist.

Once again, the anti-SJWs prove to be just as bad as the SJWs they oppose.

This. Plus the idea that if you can't land a job with the degree then what good is it is coming from the rather myopic view that the only reason to take college courses is as job training for a future career. I have a high school education, but I also have a career spanning of nearly a quarter century in my field (started working at 16) with the last 14 of that in the corporate world. With that career I support my family comfortably and I actually paid off my wife's student loans. If I want to take some college courses, no matter what they are, it's not because I'm trying to make an extra buck. The idea of college courses that aren't necessarily going to get in into a good career are nothing new and -long- predate so called "SJW degrees".

Everyone wants freedom of speech, but often only when what's being said is something they agree with.

-Byshop

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I thought parents were also supposed to raise their kids to be ready for the world out there...

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Hahaha, it does not take a genius(or college degree to get a job). Also it depends on the institution a "useless degree" from a good uni is better then any degree from some small community college. College is more then just gearing up to be another cog in the machine. Also looking at the tc, bro I dont like uber sjws but you sound like a broken record.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Most United States universities have a liberal curriculum and environment. Therefore, most liberal students go through the process without having their views challenged like conservative students. If college is meant to expose students to a variety of worldviews, it is thus that liberal students get the least out of a college education compared to conservative students.

You can see that with these safe spaces and disinviting speakers simply because students disagree with them. It is intellectually stagnant to act this way, but the trend is continuing and is projected to increase to all colleges and universities in the U.S. in the coming years.

Further, I think that claiming social justice for its title can be shameful because it is often an arbitrary, uncoordinated form of justice except for the redistribution of wealth.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Most folks at the age of a college freshman don't really know what they really want. College guidance consular's should really tell these kids what their degrees are worth before letting them go tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

What would you say about someone from say, Liberty University, a Christian Quack diploma mill, being able to hand people law degrees so they can promote religious tripe like creationism in violation of the constitution? I totally agree with freedom of expression, especially in colleges, but I think there needs to be a balance that makes a real Doctorate mean something. I see these sociopathic tv preachers calling themselves dr. or some anti science christian "scientist" who is trying to prove humans rode dinosaurs, and when I look up their degree, it's in divinity, or theology! Those are not proper fields!!!

I dont like those colleges, but like I said, they have a right to exist. I dont like Full Sail University either. But I support its right to exist.

@Byshop said:

This. Plus the idea that if you can't land a job with the degree then what good is it is coming from the rather myopic view that the only reason to take college courses is as job training for a future career. I have a high school education, but I also have a career spanning of nearly a quarter century in my field (started working at 16) with the last 14 of that in the corporate world. With that career I support my family comfortably and I actually paid off my wife's student loans. If I want to take some college courses, no matter what they are, it's not because I'm trying to make an extra buck. The idea of college courses that aren't necessarily going to get in into a good career are nothing new and -long- predate so called "SJW degrees".

Everyone wants freedom of speech, but often only when what's being said is something they agree with.

-Byshop

True, I can think of quite a few users on this board who got degrees who didnt land them careers, yet... they are very happy they went.

I was one of those people who only wanted freedom of speech for my views. But then I admitted I had a problem, challenged my double standards and grew up.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I wish I had gone to college.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

This is getting ridiculous...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Hahaha, it does not take a genius(or college degree to get a job). Also it depends on the institution a "useless degree" from a good uni is better then any degree from some small community college. College is more then just gearing up to be another cog in the machine. Also looking at the tc, bro I dont like uber sjws but you sound like a broken record.

That's a good point, too. Within my corporate world, many of the people who do have degrees often have them in even unrelated fields. They mostly just care if you either have experience in our field or -any- degree to show that you can buckle down and get something done, but an unrelated degree from a better quality school will go over better than a related degree from University of Phoenix or DeVry. The expectation is that you're going to learn 90% of what you need to know from us because if you had the skills to do the job just from getting a 4 year degree at -any- university, then the skills to do this job would not be in such high demand.

-Byshop

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

And the stupidity has finally gone in a full circle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@toast_burner: So its okay to burn a ton of money into degrees that hold no value after graduation?

Who are you or I to dictate how other people spend their money?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Colleges should be able to offer whatever courses they choose to. I also don't believe that any course's value should be just based on how much money one makes after taking it. There can be many reasons why one may want to take any particular course of study and it's value is dependent on the individual. The world in general is much better off having a wide variety of things to study that are outside of simple financial gain.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

that's up to the student to decide

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I don't think that petition will go anywhere to be honest. If that actually took effect, expect a huge protest towards colleges over it and a drop in student enrollments.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man:

Unbelievable, Sargon of Akkad, the crusader against the regressive left is becoming a leftist regressive himself.

Like these neo-liberals like to point out, being liberal is accepting liberal ideologies. That means accepting that even the SJW idiots have the right to be heard and institutionalize.

Akkad's going down hill, he used to be a forward thinker. YouTube has a severe lack of reductionists, so much subjective rhetoric.

Besides, suppressing college education is a dangerous road...

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@still_vicious: I take it you took some of these classes, that would explain the amount of ignorant crap you spout.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I'm all for potential students choosing what they want to study, even if it's a load of crap. I can't stand SJWs, but I'd rather have them learn the hard way than be spoon-fed.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Still_Vicious

@zeroyaoi said:

@still_vicious: I take it you took some of these classes, that would explain the amount of ignorant crap you spout.

No, I took science courses and even studied on my free time (still do) so I could make a good living.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Still_Vicious

@Sweetbackhair said:

I don't think that petition will go anywhere to be honest. If that actually took effect, expect a huge protest towards colleges over it and a drop in student enrollments.

Would those taking classes like that even really benefit? They'd probably be better not going to college.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Still_Vicious

@Archangel3371 said:

Colleges should be able to offer whatever courses they choose to. I also don't believe that any course's value should be just based on how much money one makes after taking it. There can be many reasons why one may want to take any particular course of study and it's value is dependent on the individual. The world in general is much better off having a wide variety of things to study that are outside of simple financial gain.

Is it better though? Many people end up with incredible amounts of debt because they don't get degrees that actually teach them anything useful.

Society may have to pay all that non-sense back, imagine if the SJW have their way and all that debt is forgiven? Guess who has to pay that bill? The middle class, probably you.

It doesn't increase productivity in the U.S. Does that person's net output increase after those courses? Probably not. They wasted time and money that could have been used better elsewhere, they could have gained skills or been productive. Meanwhile in China they are learning useful skills.....

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371

@still_vicious: Yeah, I think it is better.

Reborn_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Reborn_Sigma
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

It can go farther. The staff of these colleges should also be investigated and removed as necessary.

What you are looking at is the fruit of a long-term Soviet plan to bring down the West by infecting academics with toxic ideologies. The planters may have died, but the memetic seeds lived and spread on their own.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Still_Vicious

@Archangel3371 said:

@still_vicious: Yeah, I think it is better.

I disagree cause reasons

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371

@still_vicious: No problem.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#38 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:

I thought parents were also supposed to raise their kids to be ready for the world out there...

lol really? have you met the parents? the parents that came out of the generation "ME me ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME and more me"

But ya i was so naive once as well, today parents expect the colleges to groom their little prince/Princess into a king/queen.

But as to the colleges/uni´s, well it´s a free market so if someone wants to spend money on a LBGT or social justice course, it´s all good, after all if there is a market it would be stupid not to tap into it.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Feminism and SJW are cancer, and its fucking real that they infest our colleges.

IDK about how you go about banning it since le free speech and such, but there should be a case in spreading lies as facts and that these classes are essentially part of the curriculum and treated as actual real classes (in which many have to take as a requirement).

Its like having a bible stumper courses. Like having conspiracy theories course. And treating those subjects as facts and requirements.

No. They can have their clubs and organizations in the schools, whatever, but they are far too many millitant feminist professors out there preading feminist propaganda. I already experienced it this semester and reported a professor of mine for taking a Social Perspective course and essentially turning it into a Women are Victims Feminism course.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Still_Vicious

@kend0_kap0ni:

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KEND0_KAP0NI
@still_vicious said:

@kend0_kap0ni:

Feminis is filled with BS.

Lacy Green put out a video saying the samething about a week ago. "We should always believe women when they claim rape. We should always believe all victims or rape. etc." So everyone started posting and sending her and MTV msgs that they were raped by Lacy Green.

Did you see the latest bitch that put out a video about how all white people are racist, all men are rapist, and everyone one is transphobic. She's been getting destroyed all week.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

You become what you hate, as they say.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The irony is fucking hilarious here. GG groups argue about "SJWs" limiting freedoms and causing "censorship," but look what we have here. A whiny petition by those groups trying to take away options and suppress unwanted behavior.

These people are the scum of the internet. No consistency to anything they propagate.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI

@JangoWuzHere said:

The irony is fucking hilarious here. GG groups argue about "SJWs" limiting freedoms and causing "censorship," but look what we have here. A whiny petition by those groups trying to take away options and suppress unwanted behavior.

These people are the scum of the internet. No consistency to anything they propagate.

I know... i forgot wha they said though because their is alot of details to go over and no one is doing so just looking at the tittle and going by that.

i think it was something about public universities funding these types of courses. Public schools should stick to truths, fact, objectivity and to teach students the necessary knowledge, not these types of silly matters.

Feminist and SJW's can preach all their bullshit but not by hijacking publicly funded institutions in which the general public needs. They can have their clubs and organizations, and in Private schools if the want to.

Why should we treat SJW course like Maths, Sciences, Arts, Language? One is subjective nonsense, the rest consist of facts and objectivity.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JangoWuzHere

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

I know... i forgot wha they said though because their is alot of details to go over and no one is doing so just looking at the tittle and going by that.

i think it was something about public universities funding these types of courses. Public schools should stick to truths, fact, objectivity and to teach students the necessary knowledge, not these types of silly matters.

And college students are smart enough to weed out the lies from the facts.

It's extremely arrogant to think that college students need this kind of babying. It's super fucking lame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

It's extremely arrogant to think that college students need this kind of babying. It's super fucking lame.

No, they are not. When you're attending college classes, you assume that you're being told the truth. That is were the main problem lies.

The social sciences are infested with leftist cancerous teachings. There are COUNTLESS of examples of this. Maybe this is not a big problem in the US, but in Europe were most universities are financed by the state, this is a major problem. There is literally no room for debate regarding the conclusions drawn by the leading leftist figures in these fields.

How is it not possible to get this? I honestly don't understand...

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dave123321

@jointed: doubt it

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JangoWuzHere

@jointed said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

No, they are not. When you're attending college classes, you assume that you're being told the truth. That is were the main problem lies.

You seriously sound like someone who has never gone to college if that's what you think.

Students question and argue with their professors all the time. It's called critical thinking. If people blindly believe everything they are told, then they don't belong in college.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI

@JangoWuzHere said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

Oh... but how wrong you are (and sort of dodging the real matter here)

1. People can be incredibly stupid and gullible, in all sorts of ways. You're incredibly gullible right now for thinking people arent that stupid.

2. Its not about baby sitting students. Its not about protecting them or censoring them away from certain thoughts, because they can do it and have access to all that out side of schools. Its simply not promoting it in schools. A professor is a devil worshiper, he likes for his students to be into devil worshiping, a student can go learn more about devil worshiping at home, through groups, internet, and partake in all that. But the fucking issue here is the professor fucking feeding the students that bullshit. And then there are Universities that then have courses on it. Why? why is that needed as college courses? You and you professor can start a Devil Worshiping club, but to have courses, and in many cases mandatory required course, about nonsense subjective non-factual matters is something that should be fucking regulated in schools.

Again, the problem is in SCHOOL. Just like fucking TEXAS now putting in religion (of course Christianity) in public schools and even substituting science classes for religion classes. That shit cant be. Get that out of schools. You cant have it at home, clubs, organizations, whatever, but not in schools. No one is censoring you from your believes, you just arent gonna hijack the schools and push a silly narrative there, you cant have that luxury.

Schools man...

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: I'm sorry, but YOU sound like a person who's never set foot on a college campus before. If you seriously think that people are going to stand up and argue with their professors on topics that are already loaded with political stigma, infront of a class were the most vocal students have no qualms with throwing around labels...you must be living on a different planet. Also keep in mind that a person who's already politically predisposed to lean left have less reasons to question what the professor is saying, since it won't mentally stand out as much as it would have if a right wing professor said something equally crazy.

Why do I bother though? You're obviously a leftist.