People familiar with root canals, fillings and crowns I need your help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -

I went to an endodontist who was supposed to only do a root canal but then the dude all of a sudden finds a cavity that apparently my regular dentist didnt find in the xrays and he did a filling while my mouth was open and I couldn't talk. He tells me I had a cavity and he did the filling after it was all done so I couldn't say yes or no to the filling. I also had a crown which was in great condition before this but now he says my regular dentist needs to give me a new crown and all of this is getting really ****ing expensive. I have dental insurance but still, I don't like to pay for stuff I didn't need before. My question is since the endodontist did a filling and charged me an extra 200+ bucks for it, would that go to waste if I got a new crown?

#2 Posted by Nuck81 (5839 posts) -

Getting a crown on the tooth you just had a root canal on is a necessity.

Essentially with a root canal your tooth is nothing but an empty shell. They removed everything in the tooth except for the outer layer and now there is a big gaping hole in your tooth filled with gauze all the way to the bone.

You have about a month to get a crown before things will start to rot in there and your entire face swells. Then you're talking major bucks.

This link may help

#3 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

I went to an endodontist who was supposed to only do a root canal but then the dude all of a sudden finds a cavity that apparently my regular dentist didnt find in the xrays and he did a filling while my mouth was open and I couldn't talk. He tells me I had a cavity and he did the filling after it was all done so I couldn't say yes or no to the filling. I also had a crown which was in great condition before this but now he says my regular dentist needs to give me a new crown and all of this is getting really ****ing expensive. I have dental insurance but still, I don't like to pay for stuff I didn't need before. My question is since the endodontist did a filling and charged me an extra 200+ bucks for it, would that go to waste if I got a new crown?

SolidSnake2011-
I'm not sure i understood you correctly , if the crown was damaged during the procedure then yes they do need to replace it , I'm guessing he had to fill the cavity because otherwise the bacteria would have kept destroying tooth structure underneath that crown . Let me know if you have anymore questions (I'm a dental student)
#4 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
Ok let me explain everything again. I already had a root canal and crown done around 7-8 yrs ago. I go to my new dentist about a few weeks ago and he does a bunch of x rays and found that that the root canal was only half done. Dentist refers me to an endodontist to do a proper root canal. So I go to the endodontist and was supposed to only do a root canal. First thing he does is drills an area of tooth #14 to work on the root canal, not take out the entire crown. In the middle of the procedure while i had my mouth still open and can't talk because of the thing they out on my teeth to keep it open, they decide to do a filling on the same tooth without telling me and asking for my permission to do so. So now I'm charged an extra $200 bucks for that. Then they patch up the area they drilled and tell me they also did a filling. They said it's better to get a new crown. So my question is if I get a new crown would the new filling need to be removed? And was the endodontist right to do what he did? If I really had a cavity on that tooth my dentist would've told me.
#5 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
Forgot to add that tooth did not hurt at all within the 7-8 yrs I first had my crown and that partial root canal.
#6 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"]Ok let me explain everything again. I already had a root canal and crown done around 7-8 yrs ago. I go to my new dentist about a few weeks ago and he does a bunch of x rays and found that that the root canal was only half done. Dentist refers me to an endodontist to do a proper root canal. So I go to the endodontist and was supposed to only do a root canal. First thing he does is drills an area of tooth #14 to work on the root canal, not take out the entire crown. In the middle of the procedure while i had my mouth still open and can't talk because of the thing they out on my teeth to keep it open, they decide to do a filling on the same tooth without telling me and asking for my permission to do so. So now I'm charged an extra $200 bucks for that. Then they patch up the area they drilled and tell me they also did a filling. They said it's better to get a new crown. So my question is if I get a new crown would the new filling need to be removed? And was the endodontist right to do what he did? If I really had a cavity on that tooth my dentist would've told me.

The thing is , some teeth sometimes have an extra canal or two inside , when general dentists do root canals sometimes they end up missing the extra canal , which means the original root canal treatment was not successful and has to be redone . sometimes having a crown on a tooth that you're supposed to operate on (as a dentist) makes it difficult to drill through , there is a chance of drilling in the wrong spot because crowns don't replicate tooth anatomy perfectly and during a root canal , you're supposed to drill in a specific spot . If your tooth had a cavity underneath that crown then yes , the Endodontist was absolutely right . as for replacing the crown , like i said , maybe it had to be damaged in order to redo your RCT , if that's the case then you should get it replaced , although he could have removed it and re-cemented it back in place after the RCT was done , if the filling he used is a permanent one then it will stay in place and the new crown will cover the entire tooth . I hope that answers your questions .
#7 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"]Ok let me explain everything again. I already had a root canal and crown done around 7-8 yrs ago. I go to my new dentist about a few weeks ago and he does a bunch of x rays and found that that the root canal was only half done. Dentist refers me to an endodontist to do a proper root canal. So I go to the endodontist and was supposed to only do a root canal. First thing he does is drills an area of tooth #14 to work on the root canal, not take out the entire crown. In the middle of the procedure while i had my mouth still open and can't talk because of the thing they out on my teeth to keep it open, they decide to do a filling on the same tooth without telling me and asking for my permission to do so. So now I'm charged an extra $200 bucks for that. Then they patch up the area they drilled and tell me they also did a filling. They said it's better to get a new crown. So my question is if I get a new crown would the new filling need to be removed? And was the endodontist right to do what he did? If I really had a cavity on that tooth my dentist would've told me. ultrapc
The thing is , some teeth sometimes have an extra canal or two inside , when general dentists do root canals sometimes they end up missing the extra canal , which means the original root canal treatment was not successful and has to be redone . sometimes having a crown on a tooth that you're supposed to operate on (as a dentist) makes it difficult to drill through , there is a chance of drilling in the wrong spot because crowns don't replicate tooth anatomy perfectly and during a root canal , you're supposed to drill in a specific spot . If your tooth had a cavity underneath that crown then yes , the Endodontist was absolutely right . as for replacing the crown , like i said , maybe it had to be damaged in order to redo your RCT , if that's the case then you should get it replaced , although he could have removed it and re-cemented it back in place after the RCT was done , if the filling he used is a permanent one then it will stay in place and the new crown will cover the entire tooth . I hope that answers your questions .

Just to be clear, I have a regular dentist but he referred me to an endodontist which did the new root canal and new filling on the same tooth. Anyways, wouldn't my dentist tell me if I have a cavity when he looked at the x rays? And why couldn't he tell me that I had a cavity there before doing the filling? To a patient who has no idea what's going on and my dentist never told me about the cavity, it seems like the endodontist was just trying to get more money. His assistant did mention I got a permanent filling. So that means if I get a new crown, that filling would stay in place and wouldn't need to get a new filling right?

#8 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -

Also they sealed the place they drilled to make a hole, how long would that last before I need a new crown?

#9 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

Also they sealed the place they drilled to make a hole, how long would that last before I need a new crown?

SolidSnake2011-
I can't really be sure as i haven't seen the tooth or the x-ray , but it is possible that the cavity was a small one and your dentist missed it , or the cavity developed after the old RCT , you should ask your dentist about it as he has seen your tooth before the new RCT was done . as for crown placement , the tooth is generally weak after a RCT , however , not all teeth are indicated for a crown after a RCT , it depends on the extent of damage that tooth sustained during the treatment . seeing that you've had a crown placed before , it's a good idea to replace it as soon as possible , like the user above said , your tooth is an empty shell now , getting a crown will prevent its fracture . for the mean time try to avoid exerting too much pressure on the tooth . let me know if you have more questions .
#10 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

This thread has reminded me/scared me into remembering that I should probably get a crown on the tooth I had a root canal done to two years ago.

#11 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"]

ultrapc

I can't really be sure as i haven't seen the tooth or the x-ray , but it is possible that the cavity was a small one and your dentist missed it , or the cavity developed after the old RCT , you should ask your dentist about it as he has seen your tooth before the new RCT was done . as for crown placement , the tooth is generally weak after a RCT , however , not all teeth are indicated for a crown after a RCT , it depends on the extent of damage that tooth sustained during the treatment . seeing that you've had a crown placed before , it's a good idea to replace it as soon as possible , like the user above said , your tooth is an empty shell now , getting a crown will prevent its fracture . for the mean time try to avoid exerting too much pressure on the tooth . let me know if you have more questions .

Would taking out the old crown for a new one damage the new root canal and filling? Also I think you answered this question in a previous post but I just wanna be 100% clear about this. The new permanent filling is gonna stay even after getting a new crown right? That is my main concern because as someone who don't know much about dental stuff, I would think the filling is part of the surface of my tooth/crown and therefore need to get the new filling removed.

#12 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultrapc"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"]

SolidSnake2011-

Would taking out the old crown for a new one damage the new root canal and filling? Also I think you answered this question in a previous post but I just wanna be 100% clear about this. The new permanent filling is gonna stay even after getting a new crown right? That is my main concern because as someone who don't know much about dental stuff, I would think the filling is part of the surface of my tooth/crown and therefore need to get the new filling removed.

The permanent filling will stay in place and the new crown will cover the entire filled tooth . your dentist will decide if the tooth needs more preparation for the new crown or not , but seeing that the old one is 7-8 years old , a new preparation is necessary to fit the new crown , like i said , your dentist should decide that . a new crown will not damage your root canal , it will simply give support to the weak tooth .
#13 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"]

[QUOTE="ultrapc"] I can't really be sure as i haven't seen the tooth or the x-ray , but it is possible that the cavity was a small one and your dentist missed it , or the cavity developed after the old RCT , you should ask your dentist about it as he has seen your tooth before the new RCT was done . as for crown placement , the tooth is generally weak after a RCT , however , not all teeth are indicated for a crown after a RCT , it depends on the extent of damage that tooth sustained during the treatment . seeing that you've had a crown placed before , it's a good idea to replace it as soon as possible , like the user above said , your tooth is an empty shell now , getting a crown will prevent its fracture . for the mean time try to avoid exerting too much pressure on the tooth . let me know if you have more questions . ultrapc

The permanent filling will stay in place and the new crown will cover the entire filled tooth . your dentist will decide if the tooth needs more preparation for the new crown or not , but seeing that the old one is 7-8 years old , a new preparation is necessary to fit the new crown , like i said , your dentist should decide that . a new crown will not damage your root canal , it will simply give support to the weak tooth .

Removing the old crown will be easy and won't affect that area? And thanks for answering all my questions. I was really worried about this whole thing but now I can sleep a little bit better.
#14 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

Removing the crown is easy , it shoudln't take more than a minute using a crown remover and it will not damage the tooth . Glad i could help .