Pc monitor problem. Keeps rapidly dimming and brightening.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gawado (50 posts) -

Worse, it's... it's... I'd call it flickering, it's happening right now as I type this post up and it's killing my eyes.

I don't know what the f*** happened. This was going on yesterday, so I turned the computer off and then switched it back on today and the same story.

I don't know what could have caused it. I ran both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. They detected nothing, so I don't know if it's virus related.

I'm currently running a Windows XP service pack 3 computer, been with me for just over 4 years.

This has never happened to me before, and it's not subtle pc brightness flickering, it's very noticeable and very rapid. It stops doing that for a few minutes, then resumes immediately. I don't know what could have happened.

#2 Edited by BranKetra (49512 posts) -

Go to your screen resolution settings and then advanced settings. Once there, click on to the monitor tab and change the screen refresh rate to 60 hertz if you can. I had a similar issue years ago and it was because the screen refresh rate was too high for my monitor. I was using an older computer at that time.

#3 Posted by gawado (50 posts) -

It's already 60 Hertz.

#4 Posted by BranKetra (49512 posts) -

@gawado said:

It's already 60 Hertz.

Change it a higher setting. 70 or 75 hertz is a good setting to be at if your monitor flickers like you described. If that does not fix it, take it to Geek Squad or a local computer repair shop. They will be able to help more than I can in this setting.

#5 Edited by LexLas (4460 posts) -

GAme over, your screwed, lol .. I went ahead and reprogrammed windows 7, and then mine worked again. BUt i lost all i had on there. Thats the free way out, if you want to pay, try the Geek Squad, i'm sure they should be able to recover your data and fix your screen issue. You just have the wrong driver on your program for the display. Good luck gamer dude.

#6 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13383 posts) -

Have you tried a different monitor cable? If you're still using an old CRT those cables are attached, but you can switch out cables on LCD monitors. Sounds like you may have a short.

Does it get worse/better if you grab the monitor cable and gently wiggle it? Try this both where it enters the monitor and where it's connected to the PC.

#7 Edited by plageus900 (1226 posts) -

Do you have another computer in the house you can test it on? Is it an LCD monitor? Sounds like it might be on its last legs. If you have another computer in the house, I would test it on that to see if its not a video card issue.

Don't take it to a computer repair shop, its a waste of money.

#8 Posted by -Rhett81- (3569 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Have you tried a different monitor cable? If you're still using an old CRT those cables are attached, but you can switch out cables on LCD monitors. Sounds like you may have a short.

Does it get worse/better if you grab the monitor cable and gently wiggle it? Try this both where it enters the monitor and where it's connected to the PC.

That's what I was thinking. Sounds more like the monitor or the monitor cable itself, not the OS.