Pacino isn't even close to being as good as De Niro!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MM87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MM87
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
I hate how people even compare the two. De Niro has tons of good movies and everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. De Niro can play a cop, criminal, father, mobster. wacko. He is a great actor and Pacino is just a cop in 99% of his movies. I like Pacino but the few good films he's been in doesn't justify comparisons to the legendary Robert De Niro.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Pacino is good but I've always preferred DeNiro.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts
Agreed, Deniro is one of the best actors ever, surpassed only by Pesci.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

Agreed, Deniro is one of the best actors ever, surpassed only by Pesci.SIapshot

I hate Pesci.:x

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
I think Pacino is at his best when he plays a villain. He just has that look. As for De Niro, he can be pretty much anything.
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
I prefer Pacino over De Niro, but I haven't seen enough De Niro movies to make a fair judgement.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

[QUOTE="SIapshot"]Agreed, Deniro is one of the best actors ever, surpassed only by Pesci.Godly_Cure

Pesci will stick a pen in your neck for disrespecting his friend, eat dinner at his mother's house while you lay half dead in the trunk of his car, smack up a cowboy twice his size, take over an entire city of criminals, and still tell the bosses AND the police to stick it while flaunting his criminal lifestyle. Pesci wins by a friggin landslide.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Pacino is a great actor but I don't think he can portray the spectrum of emotions that DeNiro can.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

[QUOTE="SIapshot"]Agreed, Deniro is one of the best actors ever, surpassed only by Pesci.Godly_Cure

have u ever seen goodfellas?

easily pesci's best film, with home alone at a close 2nd :P
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

I hate how people even compare the two. De Niro has tons of good movies and everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. De Niro can play a cop, criminal, father, mobster. wacko. He is a great actor and Pacino is just a cop in 99% of his movies. I like Pacino but the few good films he's been in doesn't justify comparisons to the legendary Robert De Niro.MM87

ummm, I'd say theyre about equal. De Niro may seem better simply because he is excellent in the movies he does, and he does a lot of movies.

Pacino, however, is amazing in the movies he does, but he doesnt do a lot and he isnt great in every movie. You have HEAT, Devil's Advocate, Scent of a Woman, Scarface, Any Given Sunday, and Carlito's Way...

but then you got De Niro, who acts in all kinds of movies. I mean the guy played a gay air pirate in Stardust for pete's sake!

Idunno, I just dont like comparing the two, theyre both amazing actors.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I hate how people even compare the two. De Niro has tons of good movies and everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. De Niro can play a cop, criminal, father, mobster. wacko. He is a great actor and Pacino is just a cop in 99% of his movies. I like Pacino but the few good films he's been in doesn't justify comparisons to the legendary Robert De Niro.MM87

You really need to watch more of his movies before you completly discredit that man like you just did. I do agree that De Niro is a lot more versitile than Pacino though.

And Pacino is known for a lot more than Scarface. Maybe to the urban youth who buy up Scarface gear cuz they think it looks cool but Scarface is def. not at the top of Pacino's movies. Have you heard of Dog Day Afternoon? What about his Oscar winning role in Scent of a Woman? What about ...And Justice for All? You must have heard about The Godfather trilogy. None of those movies, by the way, has he played a cop and all of which are great movies.

EDIT: Here's a game. For every movie you name where Pacino plays a cop, I'll name 2 where he doesn't.

LazySilvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LazySilvergun
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. MM87

That actually made me laugh out loud. The vast, vast majority of people know and like Pacino for his role in the two greatest films of all time (the first and second Godfather movies.)

If you think people "know" Pacino just because of Scarface then do yourself a favor and watch the first two Godfather movies. Even if you don't dig Pacino, I'm sure you'll like the second one (Deniro is in it.)

Also, Heat is one of my favorite movies. Yep, Pacino plays a Cop in it and everything, but you should see that one as well if you haven't (Deniro is in it too, so you'll probably like it.)

I like them both, but to claim that Pacino is best known for Scarface is just hilarious. Maybe kids (as in, the younger generation who aren't too familiar with any movie over 2 decades old) these days "know" him for that movie, probably because Tony Montana is so often parodied ("say ello to my lil frien!") and references in pop culture (like hip hop culture and kids buying shirts/posters with his face on them because for some reason they think it's cool,) but Hell.... compared to Godfather (I and II) Scarface is a crap movie. Most people know Deniro from the Godfather II as well, he was made famous by that movie. Scarface is horrendously overrated as a movie, good... but not that good.

Pacino is not a Cop in the majority of movies he has been in, if anything he's better known as a Gangster/Mobster.

EDIT: That being said, nothing against Deniro as I love 'em both... and I do think Deniro is the more "flexible" actor, I can't see Pacino pulling off the range of performances you get from Taxi Driver to Brazil to The King of Comedy (three classics you should also see if you yet haven't.) However, they're both fantastic actors.

darkminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkminus
Member since 2003 • 5912 Posts
I like both actors but Pacino has always been my favorite of the two.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. MM87
...and The Godfather.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I haven't seen too many Pacino movies. All of the De Niro movies I've seen, I've enjoyed.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

[QUOTE="MM87"]everyone just loves Pacino for Scarface and that's it. Bloodbath_87
...and The Godfather.

Nah i think people idolise De Niro and Pacino for their badassness. He's more respected for his acting ability in the Godfather.

LazySilvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LazySilvergun
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

What are you talking about? Michael Corleone is the ultimate badass.

Pacino is easily best known for his role in the Godfather movies, the first two are perhaps two of the greatest and most famous movies of all time.

azizalbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 azizalbaker
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

IpreferDe Niro over Pacino ANYTIME man! I think Pacino got more popular because of his role as Tony Montana in Scarface which is an overrated movie to be honest. Plus, his acting in the Godfather II was much better than Pacino's acting IMO

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

For me its Pacino over De Niro any day, yes they are both amazing, two of the best ever but I think Pacino is a much better actor. In the Godfather 2 he was so freaking unbelievably good. And its not just Scarface, he is great in

Devils Advocate

Insomnia

The Insider

Heat

Scent of a Women

Donnie Brasco

Dog Day Afternoon

rom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rom11
Member since 2005 • 2049 Posts
DeNiro ftw!
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
Both are exceptional actors, both have done some of the greatest films ever made... but both have done crap...
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
i love both but prefer Pacino more
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

I think they are both very good actors.

But I like De Niro more.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaintLeonidas

Both are exceptional actors, both have done some of the greatest films ever made... but both have done crap...Samwel_X

yes, they both have their movies that suck. I hope that Righteous Kill doesnt fall into this category, although the newest trailer gives me hope that it could actually be a good movie.

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Samwel_X

yes, they both have their movie that suck. I hope that Righteous Kill doesnt fall into this category, although the newest trailer gives me hope that it could actually be a good movie.

SaintLeonidas

The first trailer had me very worried... I hope its as good as Heat...

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

yes, they both have their movie that suck. I hope that Righteous Kill doesnt fall into this category, although the newest trailer gives me hope that it could actually be a good movie.

Samwel_X

The first trailer had me very worried... I hope its as good as Heat...

this is the newer trailer, i think its much better then the first which must have been thrown together to give people an idea of what the film will be like, but this gives me hope. I hope it can live up to Heat, but I dont think will be able to surpass it

http://www.righteouskill-themovie.com/

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Samwel_X

this is the newer trailer, i think its much better then the first which must have been thrown together to give people an idea of what the film will be like, but this gives me hope. I hope it can live up to Heat, but I dont think will be able to surpass it

SaintLeonidas

Yeah it looks pretty decent. The acting talent alone should make it watchable.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

Samwel_X

yeah, and the fact that its written by the guy who wrote Inside Man is an added bonus, if it ends up as bad as people say 88 minutes then I will have to start agreeing with many critics who have been saying they both have been "corrupted" you can say by money and are going after stupid roles. Even Coppola said he didnt like how they have turned out.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

[QUOTE="Samwel_X"]Both are exceptional actors, both have done some of the greatest films ever made... but both have done crap...SaintLeonidas

yes, they both have their movies that suck. I hope that Righteous Kill doesnt fall into this category, although the newest trailer gives me hope that it could actually be a good movie.

The irony, IMO is the fact that Pacino's most famous role as Scarface was among one of his worst movies.

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Samwel_X

yeah, and the fact that its written by the guy who wrote Inside Man is an added bonus, if it ends up as bad as people say 88 minutes then I will have to start agreeing with many critics who have been saying they both have been "corrupted" you can say by money and are going after stupid roles. Even Coppola said he didnt like how they have turned out.

SaintLeonidas

I think Pacino is worse in that respect... at least DeNiro follows his own projects like "The Good Shepard"

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Samwel_X

The irony, IMO is the fact that Pacino's most famous role as Scarface was among one of his worst movies.

Boba_Fett_3710

You wouldn't say Michael Corleone was Pacino's most famous role?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Samwel_X"]Both are exceptional actors, both have done some of the greatest films ever made... but both have done crap...Boba_Fett_3710

His worst? I would have to disagree, I think its pretty good, but defiantly been overrated especially because of the whole "gangsta" following. But acting wise I think he was good in it,defiantly not his best.

His best films in my opinion in order are 1) The Insider, 2)Heat and 3) The Godfather I and II.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

Samwel_X

I really liked that trailer, though it looks dangerously close to a generic police movie."You become a cop because you got respect... respect for the badge."

Let's just hope it doesn't. :P