OT Census: What field in college are you majoring in?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

I create similar census threads based on curiosity and would like to know more about the community outside the forum; recreational purposes, field of study, and so on.

What are you majoring in (or plan to)?

I'm interested in the business field because I was always interested in management and the stock market.

#2 Edited by SwagSurf (3021 posts) -

Not sure at the moment, but I'm leaning towards Biology. Hope that turns out well.

#3 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Not sure anymore.

#4 Posted by ScottMescudi (1596 posts) -

Majoring in accounting.

#5 Posted by ferrari2001 (17154 posts) -

I have a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences with an emphasis in Philosophy.

#6 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Psychology was my major. I'm considering grad school for I/O psych.

#8 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

I have a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences with an emphasis in Philosophy.

Were you successful in finding a career/job? I've heard many terrible things about finishing college with an Arts degree.

@Makhaidos said:

I'd say go for it, but find scholarships around your area. Getting your masters degree opens so many doors.

@BluRayHiDef said:

I'm majoring in the cotton field. I'm learning how to pick them. My professor tells me that I'll be sure to land a job in this field because my dark skin allows me to pick in the sun for long hours. Can't wait.

The years of African-American segregation is over and with the new emergence of technology, there are no need for workers in the field. Do you happen to have anything else in mind that requires some sort of schooling?

#9 Posted by GoogleAndroid (150 posts) -

Biology to go to Med School.

#10 Posted by lightleggy (16073 posts) -

I have never understood America's college system...

So you finish high school, and then what? You don't sign yourself up to study a specific career in college? because thats how we roll here.

If we want to study medicine, we simply go to the college we want and sign in the "medicine" career, we don't have to jump to a bunch of hoops to study it...

#11 Posted by LZ71 (10324 posts) -

Pre-Aerospace engineering currently. I'll apply to be in my major next semester.

#12 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Currently Computer Science, but depending on how much I like it after my two year degree I may switch to Software Engineering.

#13 Edited by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

Economics and probably finance.

#14 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Ackad said:

@Makhaidos said:

I'd say go for it, but find scholarships around your area. Getting your masters degree opens so many doors.

I'm actually considering a Ph.D. Cheaper.

#15 Posted by MrGeezer (56752 posts) -

Majoring in Unemployment (I'm a Photo major).

#16 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

Applied mathematics.In the second year, sophomore, and got two more years to go.

I'm already exhausted, just wish the trip was through.

#17 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Computer Science going for a AS currently and will find out whether I like it(which so far I really do), and plan to transfer to another school for a BS in Computer Science.. I'm on my 3rd semester 2nd year right now. I'm kind of late to the college party since I've been working full time since I was 15(yes I finished High School), and now here I am 24(soon to be 25) and going to college. It was a bit hard to adjust back into school after all these years, but I'm doing well now(3.92 gpa currently).

#18 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14077 posts) -

Behavioral Science, Neuroscience, Biological Psychology. Somewhere between there, although they seem the same to me.

That or computer science or some kind of engineering work. It's really hard to choose. I'll most likely figure it out once I finish my pre-reqs and get a taste of what these courses will be like.

#19 Posted by chaplainDMK (6877 posts) -

Psychology, first stage a.k.a. bachelor.

#20 Posted by johnd13 (8619 posts) -

Computer Science. 2.5 years in and so far so good.

#21 Edited by achilles614 (4865 posts) -

Electrical engineering, I'm done with all pre-reqs and working through the core curriculum, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel! The physics classes seem to never stop coming, I'm taking modern physics and we just got to time dilation which is pretty cool.

Provided my grades stay up I'll be applying for graduate school. Not sure whether Phd or Ms.

#22 Posted by redstorm72 (4606 posts) -

Criminology with a minor in Psychology, 3rd year.

#23 Posted by bforrester420 (1764 posts) -

I majored in Information Systems with a minor in Finance. After working for a few years, I went back part-time and got the credits I needed to get my second bachelor's in Finance.

#24 Posted by mindstorm (15247 posts) -

I have a Bachelors in Christian Studies and am working on my Masters of Divinity in Christian Ministry.

#25 Posted by Storm_Marine (11802 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

So you finish high school, and then what? You don't sign yourself up to study a specific career in college? because thats how we roll here.

If we want to study medicine, we simply go to the college we want and sign in the "medicine" career, we don't have to jump to a bunch of hoops to study it...

That would make too much sense.

#26 Posted by comp_atkins (31717 posts) -

BS in engineering

#27 Edited by bforrester420 (1764 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

Our system is more flexible and is intended to give a broader base of knowledge. Many people don't end up working in the career field under which they studied. For example, I have a buddy that has a bachelor's in psychology but works in marketing. A psych degree is almost useless, in the field of psychology, unless you have a Master's or Doctorate.

#28 Posted by PonchoTaco (2316 posts) -

Cisco Networking Professional. In my final semester.

#29 Edited by 35cent (925 posts) -

I've a BSc in Medicinal Chemistry.

#30 Posted by Marth6352 (48 posts) -

I'm aerospace engineering, will l be finished next may! Grad school hopefully

#31 Posted by ExtremeGamer93 (271 posts) -

Computer Science and Math. 1.5 years to go!

#32 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@marth6352 said:

I'm aerospace engineering, will l be finished next may! Grad school hopefully

I dreamed about studying aerospace engineering back in the day.But I was made to study mathematics.The fate shattered that dream of mine , as it shattered my every other dream.

#33 Posted by Marth6352 (48 posts) -

@elkoldo: Well you could use your math knowledge to go for a masters somewhere at a school.

#34 Posted by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@marth6352: Everybody just keeps telling me to use my mathematical artillery to change my filed into engineering for master's .But the thing is , I'm now so uninterested that I just want to get my B.S and just walk away from this damn university and hopefully erase all of its nightmarish memories.
It now feels like a hundred years ago when I loved aerospace engineering.But it was only two years ago.barely two years ago.

#35 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -
@elkoldo said:

@marth6352: Everybody just keeps telling me to use my mathematical artillery to change my filed into engineering for master's .But the thing is , I'm now so uninterested that I just want to get my B.S and just walk away from this damn university and hopefully erase all of its nightmarish memories.

It now feels like a hundred years ago when I loved aerospace engineering.But it was only two years ago.barely two years ago.

Do you enjoy physical sciences (Chemistry, Physics)? Since you have a lot of knowledge in math, why won't you get your bachelors in Petroleum Engineering?

#36 Posted by bforrester420 (1764 posts) -

@Ackad said:
@elkoldo said:

Do you enjoy physical sciences (Chemistry, Physics)? Since you have a lot of knowledge in math, why won't you get your bachelors in Petroleum Engineering?

Petrochemical Engineers make serious bank.

#37 Edited by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -

nearly done with an undergrad degree in the Writer's Program at UCLA, its technically Creative Writing with an Emphasis in Fiction.

#38 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@Ackad said:
@elkoldo said:

Petrochemical Engineers make serious bank.

Either of the two are ideal for the higher pay, but yes you're right lol.

#39 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (219 posts) -

I'm majoring in Geology. On my last semester, then off to field camp I go.

#40 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@Ackad said:
@elkoldo said:

Nah my university doesn't allow the students to change their field.I've been in mathematics for two years and got two more years to go.After that I'll get my bachelors in math .

I ain't really interested in physics, chemics or petroleum either, to be honest.

#41 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

Electrical Engineering.My first exam period is next month.

#42 Posted by magicalclick (23257 posts) -

computer science long time ago. Working now.

#43 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -

you mean.. people go to school for a reason other than to get laid?

#44 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Most high end paying jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in a specific field.

#45 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

We sure got a lot of math geniuses on this here forum.

#46 Edited by lostrib (40000 posts) -

I have a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

And now I'm working on a Ph.D

#47 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

...you must have been a strange kid on the first day of kindergarten

#48 Edited by bforrester420 (1764 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

God I miss college (and being single)...

#49 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10172 posts) -

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts and Science with a dual major in Film Studies and Creative Writing.

#50 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon: hows that novel doing?