OT Car guys, quick question...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

So Im thinking of buying a car from this person.

Car is in great shape and whatever, but I think I want to spray painting the rims black.

I want to do it cuz alot of people know this person's car, and once I buy it I dont want to see like Im just driving this person's car that everyone knows him for. Its one way of personalizing it. Im not painting the car or adding graphics cuz thats too expensive and I do really want to do that anyways. Neither do I want to put stickers on the bumper or windshield.

I just want to know how to go about spray painting the rims and if it is recommend.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. I would check out Youtube videos regarding this first on how to do it.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nengo_Flow

@Xtasy26 said:

Shouldn't be a problem. I would check out Youtube videos regarding this first on how to do it.

Yeah I know, its seems pretty simple and all, but you people on youtube tend to raging fanatics that do dumb things and pass it off as if something everyone should be doing.

I just wanted to know if anyone here had done it and would tell what i should be aware of and know about, and whether or not it is actually recommended to do that.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

As somebody who works with paint a lot I will tell you this.

Do not use spray paint on a car, even as a touch up. It chemically dissimilar from car paint and this can cause appearance problems.

It will flake quickly, especially if you live in the south or near the ocean, and it can potentially weaken the pain that is already there causing a risk of rust.

If you don't have experience hand spraying paint you're gonna risk getting it in areas you don't want.

Color matching is harder than it looks, even if it's something like black on black, a simple mismatch and it will never look right.

This is off the top of my head, but my advice is don't do it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Dude don't use spray paint on a car.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Like everyone else has said, normal spray paint wont work.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You sure it's in great shape? Have you had it checked out by a mechanic?

And you must use automotive paint on any vehicle paint application. Typical spray paint won't hold up, especially on rims. Just get it done professionally and save yourself some shitty looking rims.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

first have it checked out by a mechanic, because if its fucked up the spray painted wheels will be the least of your concern. and second, its so fucking tacky to spray paint wheels, just put back the stock wheels.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nengo_Flow

to all of ya'll

my step dad is a mechanic.... chill

oK I aleady knew to take them off and sand them down and such, but you guys all seem to bring up a good point of spray paint not lasting and being worse in hot states (I live in florida, so I get heat, and Im on the coast line so the ocean spray (salt) will be a concern) I wasnt aware of those factors.

From all the youtube vids I seen it looks pretty simple, but of course they wont tell you the negatives. Thats why I made this thread asking.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

If you are going to spray paint at least purchase wheel paint. They sale it in spray paint form. It doesn't hold up as well as actual auto paint but it should do a decent job. Just keep a few cans around for when it peels. If you can afford some auto primer and a paint gun then you'd be in a much better position to paint some wheels that will last a decent amount of time.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Jesus, don't listen to any of these people as they know nothing.

Plasti Dip

Learn about it. Embrace it. Google it.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@SUD123456: i wouldn't embrace it because i believe it is pretty nasty for your skin...

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Clean them, shine them, then primer them or the paint won't stick. After primer, then spray them. Make sure you ask the store for the correct paint.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LexLas

@thegerg said:

@LexLas: Don't shine before painting or priming. You want the paint to stick. You need to sand a wheel before finishing to give the paint or primer something to stick to. Shining is the opposite of what needs to happen.

I said shine cause i saw a youtube vid one day. I think they used some kind of solution to clean them, not shine, my bad. I want to say epoxy or something ? i can't remember. But Primer sticks to anything right ? I don't know man, not an expert.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I've been a fan of truck bed liner lately. Never seen it on rims though. Also as mentioned above plastidip is fun stuff. I can confirm plastidip works great in wheels. Both are cheap and easy.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LexLas

@thegerg said:

@LexLas said:

@thegerg said:

@LexLas: Don't shine before painting or priming. You want the paint to stick. You need to sand a wheel before finishing to give the paint or primer something to stick to. Shining is the opposite of what needs to happen.

I said shine cause i saw a youtube vid one day. I think they used some kind of solution to clean them, not shine, my bad. I want to say epoxy or something ? i can't remember. But Primer sticks to anything right ? I don't know man, not an expert.

Most of the time (of course things vary with the finish and surface) you want to sand metal surfaces before applying any type of primer or paint. Scuffing up the surface gives the finish something to hold on to.

@thegerg dude, since you seem to know a bit about this stuff. I was thinking or adding some Carbon Fiber wrap on my rims, they are just alloy star rims. Will it stick ? Lol .. I was just going to order it and try it. Seems like it runs like $30 bones just to buy enough for two rims.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LexLas

@thegerg said:

@LexLas said:

@thegerg said:

@LexLas said:

@thegerg said:

Most of the time (of course things vary with the finish and surface) you want to sand metal surfaces before applying any type of primer or paint. Scuffing up the surface gives the finish something to hold on to.

@thegerg dude, since you seem to know a bit about this stuff. I was thinking or adding some Carbon Fiber wrap on my rims, they are just alloy star rims. Will it stick ? Lol .. I was just going to order it and try it. Seems like it runs like $30 bones just to buy enough for two rims.

If you're just looking to try it for fun, go for it. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and $30 stickers on your wheels are going to look like $30 stickers, not real carbon fiber.

Dang ! but it says real Carbon Fiber ? Lol ..

@Nengo_Flow sorry, didn't mean to hostel take over your blog. But this is kinda related, you might want to do this over paint. Mabye ? Lots of cool vids on youtube of how to do this. But The gerg here seems to know a bit more. I'd take his advice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-X-60-CARBON-FIBER-VINYL-WRAP-4D-GLOSS-BLACK-HIGH-GRADE-WITH-AIR-RELEASE-/141317412440?hash=item20e72c9658&vxp=mtr

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

i think black paint is a mixture of more than 2 colours.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@ycdeo said:

i think black paint is a mixture of more than 2 colours.

It's just 1 pigment.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

no, any 2 colours gives u a new colour.