This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Coffee_Blade
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

So gamespot is filled with metal lovers. However, most metal lovers hate korn. People also say they went way to soft and mainstream especially after head left. When they were first created you would never see songs like twisted transitor and word up.I just wanted to see the general opinion about one of my favorite bands with great songs like freak on a leash, here to stay, hey daddy, and clown. I don't think its a band thats just for hot topic shoppers, pot heads, and goths but what do you think?

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
I FREAKING love Korn! Seriously, of all the "metal" out there, they re my favourite... well, maybe a tie with Smashing Pumpkins, but they're alt rock.... Edit: and for the record, I'm a nerd/jock, take that stereotypes!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

I don't like korn. I find them uninteresting.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
My friend's cousin is the drummer for that band.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
tyey are ok. i can listen to really anything out there. one of the things that i listen to.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
their are better vegetables out there. but when popped korn is pretty good especially at movies.
Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coffee_Blade
I FREAKING love Korn! Seriously, of all the "metal" out there, they re my favourite... well, maybe a tie with Smashing Pumpkins, but they're alt rock.... Edit: and for the record, I'm a nerd/jock, take that stereotypes!Setsa
Glad to see im not the only fan. I also love the smashing pumpkins but they really went downhill. Now even the drummer left and billy is the only remaining original member. billy said they would never release a studio album again after zeitgeist and I dunno he just seemed to have warped view about things. Billy isn't trent reznor and I guess he thinks he is.
Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coffee_Blade
My friend's cousin is the drummer for that band.AAllxxjjnn
David silveria or their new drummer ray luzier
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
[QUOTE="Setsa"]I FREAKING love Korn! Seriously, of all the "metal" out there, they re my favourite... well, maybe a tie with Smashing Pumpkins, but they're alt rock.... Edit: and for the record, I'm a nerd/jock, take that stereotypes!

what's the stereotype?
Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
They are an average band, nothing special. They do have a few good songs, like Freak on a Leash (as you mentioned already). In the long run they are just another band that isn't amazing but isn't terrible either.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]My friend's cousin is the drummer for that band.Coffee_Blade
David silveria or their new drummer ray luzier

David Silveria. but i guess he's not the drummer anymore.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103607

Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts

I love koRn they are one of my favorite bands

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
[QUOTE="Setsa"]I FREAKING love Korn! Seriously, of all the "metal" out there, they re my favourite... well, maybe a tie with Smashing Pumpkins, but they're alt rock.... Edit: and for the record, I'm a nerd/jock, take that stereotypes!Coffee_Blade
Glad to see im not the only fan. I also love the smashing pumpkins but they really went downhill. Now even the drummer left and billy is the only remaining original member. billy said they would never release a studio album again after zeitgeist and I dunno he just seemed to have warped view about things. Billy isn't trent reznor and I guess he thinks he is.

Yeah... that's the main reason why I stopped caring about their new stuff. After they fell apart and tried to get new people to replace the oldies, it just wasn't the same sound anymore. Yes, they were still good, albeit not as good as they used to be. The same can kinda be said about Korn though, while I still love them and a lot of Johnny's solo works (Got money was actually a decent cover by him), the fact that they lost Head was a real downer :(
epayps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 epayps2
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts
Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>Darth-Caedus
What makes something nu-metal? Is System of a Down nu-metal?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>epayps2

The genre of music and yes SOaD is nu metal.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

They're OK. I don't own any of their CDs, but I like some of their songs.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Eh...its almost like they tried to be Marilyn Manson's children but then ended up somewhere between Slipknot and ICP. They have some good songs especially on Untouchables but I don't listen to them anymore.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>Darth-Caedus

deftones are good.

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coffee_Blade

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>epayps2

Ive seen system of a down placed in the category. Bands like slipknot and limp bizkit are often categorized as nu metal. Id consider them more of alt. metal though

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

I cant stand them and other similar bands...

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#23 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="epayps2"][QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>Coffee_Blade

Ive seen system of a down placed in the category. Bands like slipknot and limp bizkit are often categorized as nu metal. Id consider them more of alt. metal though

You really can't categorize SoaD, they're all over the place as far as sound goes.
Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
Garbage.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Slipknot > Korn
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nimatoad2000
st anger album > miley cirus > slipknot > korncyberdarkkid
Fixed
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

Horrible band.

GTA_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTA_dude
Member since 2004 • 18358 Posts
I like KoЯn, I own all of these CDs
Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Coffee_Blade
[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]st anger album > miley cirus > slipknot > kornnimatoad2000
Fixed

Blasphemy!
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts

Nu metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal that emerged in the mid-1990s which combines grunge music, alternative rock, and alternative metal with hip hop and various heavy metal genres, such as funk metal, industrial metal, groove metal and thrash metal.

Nu metal bands often feature aggressive vocals that range from melodic singing similar to pop and rock, guttural screaming and shouting from various forms of metal, hardcore punk and, like funk metal, rapping is often used. Some distinction is usually maintained between bands who use rap vocals prominently, and those that do not. Bands featuring almost prominently rap vocalization are sometimes loosely called "rap metal," while the less common term rapcore is used to describe bands who use a combination of singing, screaming, and/or rapping (for example, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Slipknot and P.O.D. have songs that combine the ****). Distortion and other post-production effects are often added to vocals in the nu metal genre. Korn's Jonathan Davis, Deftones's Chino Moreno, Chevelle's Pete Loeffler, Slipknot's Corey Taylor, Taproot's Stephen Richards, Disturbed's David Draiman, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, and Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst, have all cited Maynard James Keenan's signature ****as their main influence, with Durst also calling the band Tool (in general) both his biggest musical influence and favorite band.[5] Mike Patton of Faith No More is also credited for vocally influencing nu metal, particularly Jonathan Davis of Korn. Some bands have vastly different vocal ****, such as reggae influences on P.O.D.'s album Testify, most notably those songs featuring Matisyahu.

Guitar

Unlike traditional metal, the overall defining trait of nu metal guitar playing is the emphasis on mood, rhythm and texture over melody and complex instrumentation, achieved largely through performance or effects. However, guitar playing in nu metal still often varies vastly in complexity, sound, usage and riffs. Bands take elements from several forms of music when composing the riffs for their guitars, causing a high variance between the bands. One common trait of most nu metal bands, however, is to emphasize the guitar as a rhythmic instrument. Riffs often consist of only a few different notes or power chords played in rhythmic, syncopated patterns. To emphasize this rhythmic nature, nu metal guitarists generally make liberal use of palm muting, a technique inherited from thrash metal that is often widely spaced out and blend easily into the surrounding riffs, in a manner similar to grunge and hip hop. Another common technique with nu metal guitarists is the use of detuned strings whose lower pitch creates a thicker, more resonant sound. Strings down-tuned in this way are often drop-D or lower, sometimes adding a seventh string. When Korn first began its career, members of the band stated that guitar solos had become saturated and too boring in the rock industry, thus they felt no need for them. However, some Nu Metal bands, such as Drowning Pool and Godsmack, occasionally used guitar solos in their older Nu metal material.

Bass guitar

The speed and skill of a bassist in traditional heavy metal plays a large role in the band's sound, complementing percussive tempos (and occasionally the guitar riffs) and adding strong rhythmic pulse to the band. Nu metal bass parts are often reminiscent of hip hop or funk grooves, and in some songs, slap bass technique is used to give the music a funk groove. The bass in nu metal is occasionally the driving force behind the music, such as in certain Mudvayne or Korn songs. However, almost all Nu Metal bassist use 5 string over a 4 string bass.

Turntables

Many notable nu metal bands feature a DJ for additional rhythmic instrumentation (especially for music samples, scratches, and electronic backgrounds). Examples of nu metal DJs include DJ Lethal of Limp Bizkit, St1tch of Mushroomhead, Sid Wilson of Slipknot and Mr. Hahn of Linkin Park.

Drums

Nu metal drumming often consists of hip hop, funk, and heavy metal influences. Double bass drumming is not very common in the **** except in certain bands such as Ill Niño, Disturbed and Slipknot. But unlike the long passages of double bass that death metal and black metal drummers utilize, most nu metal drummers use double bass in "stop-go" bursts. However the drumming in nu metal varies.Many bands in the genre apply a commonly used hard rock and metal technique which involves a swift double-kick roll before and between snare hits. Soulfly has also integrated certain aspects of middle eastern and tribal music in its ****

Song structures

A popular format is to have a song structure of instrumental introduction, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. The bridge is often a climax to the song, has a relatively different sound to the previous two and sometimes is just one line repeated, getting gradually louder. It is generally louder in the instrumental parts and the choruses than in the verses. Nu metal shares most of these characteristics with grunge. And yes, they are.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]st anger album > slipknot > korn> insert anything here>Miley Cirusnimatoad2000
Fixed

Fixed
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]st anger album > slipknot > korn> insert anything here>Miley Ciruscyberdarkkid
Fixed

Fixed

woah so are you saying st anger album is the best album ever, slipknot is the best band other than metallica's st anger album and korn is the 2nd best band?
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nimatoad2000

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] Rust In Peace > insert anything here > st anger album > slipknot > Miley Ciruscyberdarkkid
Fixed

Fixed

fixed

TheZ3nMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 TheZ3nMan
Member since 2007 • 2658 Posts

Slipknot > Korncyberdarkkid

You forgot to put "pretty much everything else >" in front of Slipknot and "> Hollywood Undead" behind Korn.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WhiteSnake5000

[QUOTE="epayps2"][QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>LJS9502_basic

The genre of music and yes SOaD is nu metal.

Sorry no, SOAD isn't Nu Metal... They are Alternative Metal.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WhiteSnake5000

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>im_really_rich

deftones are good.

Deftones aren't Nu Metal either. They are considered to be Alternative Rock/Metal. I don't know people keep getting their genres wrong.

Nu-Metal bands are bands like Slipknot, Korn, Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D, Static-X, Sevendust, etc.

While many of these are also alternative, they have certain qualities that make them Nu-Metal more than the last 2 bands I said that weren't.

CreepingDeath_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CreepingDeath_
Member since 2007 • 3342 Posts
[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>WhiteSnake5000

deftones are good.

Deftones aren't Nu Metal either. They are considered to be Alternative Rock/Metal. I don't know people keep getting their genres wrong.

Deftones are more like Tool than nu metal.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteSnake5000

[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"][QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

deftones are good.

CreepingDeath_

Deftones are more like Tool than nu metal.

Tool is alternative metal as well. But they have a far more progressive metal edge to it.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre. >.>Darth-Caedus
Pretty much this. The whole genre of nu metal is just meh to me.

gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Hate em, along with the entire nu-metal genre, tis a bastardization of real metal if you ask me >.>WhiteSnake5000

deftones are good.

Nu-Metal bands are bands like Slipknot, Korn, Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D, Static-X, Sevendust, etc.

While many of these are also alternative, they have certain qualities that make them Nu-Metal more than the last 2 bands I said that weren't.

Deftones have a couple of songs that'd be considered Nu-Metal. Plus they have a DJ.

Forumposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 Forumposter
Member since 2008 • 847 Posts
i like it, you add some hot sauce, lemon, hot powder, cream and then you've got yourself a nice snack! D: and about the band Korn ah welllllllllllllllllll theyre not my cup of tea
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WhiteSnake5000

[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

deftones are good.

gasmaskman

Deftones have a couple of songs that'd be considered Nu-Metal. Plus they have a DJ.

Yeah, their first album. I know.. After that it's straight up Alternative.

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coffee_Blade
Well this is pretty much what I expected. Everyone has their own opinion. Im sure there are bands I hate that many of you like