Only 23% of Obamacare's enrollees are "Young Invincibles".

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (13505 posts) -

It's an older, costlier crowd that's signing up for health insurance under President Barack Obama's law.

Only 24 percent of ObamaCare's enrollees are young people according to the new data, well below the 40 percent benchmark set by the administration for the critical 18- to 34-year-old age group.

To keep premiums affordable, experts say it is vital that the law attract young and healthy "invincibles" unlikely to need critical care as well as uninsured people who are older and sicker.

A failure to improve on the numbers means insurers would need to raise prices next year, strengthening the position of Republican opponents who say Obamacare is not financially sustainable.

The administration struck a confident tone during a conference call with reporters, arguing that the law will work fine at present demographic levels. Officials said they expect young adults to sign up in higher numbers before open enrollment ends on March 31, as many observers expected younger and healthier people to put off enrolling until the last second.

Delew said the early demographics are in line with what the Massachusetts exchange experienced when it launched under then-governor Mitt Romney in 2007.

Still, the administration’s pushback Monday against the expectation that it needs 40 percent of the risk pool to be comprised of young adults might provoke critics to accuse them of once again moving the goalposts on what qualifies as a successful implementation.

Last year, the CBO estimate of 7 million ObamaCare enrollees by the end of March became the de facto benchmark, and was cited by some members of the Obama administration as the official goal.

But the botched rollout has left the administration well behind that target, and the White House has in recent weeks downplayed the importance of the number, and claimed that it was never a stated goal.

In addition, a Kaiser Family Foundation study released last year said that if 18 to 34-year olds made up only 25 percent of the pool of enrollees, as they do now, it would be a “worst case” scenario that could lead to higher premiums.

Kaiser also said the administration’s target for 18 to 34-year-olds should be 40 percent, because that’s the proportion of young adults in the potential market for private plans on the exchanges.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/195283-hhs-one-quarter-of-obamacare-signups-are-young

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/13/us-usa-healthcare-idUSBREA0C1GM20140113?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=992637

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/obamacare-numbers-_n_4590995.html

-----------------------------

Nothing to see here, everything is ok, your government is handling it. Move along.

#3 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

Yup, Obamacare is a complete failure. We should tell those 2.2 million people who have enrolled so far to vote Republican and make sure that Obamacare gets repealed. Then they can...

#4 Edited by Nuck81 (5727 posts) -

We're not even halfway through the enrollment period.

The same thing happened in Massachusetts with the Romney's plan. These same "Young Invincibles" also happen to be "Young Procrastinators"

They'll sign up when it is closer to the end of Open enrollment.

#5 Edited by Master_Live (13505 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

The same thing happened in Massachusetts with the Romney's plan. These same "Young Invincibles" also happen to be "Young Procrastinators"

Yep, either that or the built in bailout the law has written in case costs get out of control during the first 2 years of the law kicks in.

#6 Posted by Nuck81 (5727 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Yep, either that or the built in bailout the law has written in case costs get out of control during the first 2 years of the law kicks in.

I'm not concerned. I'm still too busy trying to hide my grandmother's from the roving bands of Death Panels

#7 Edited by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Master_Live: insurance companies would need a bailout sooner or later with or without OBcare, their business models have been screwed with by having artificially low interest rates. ZIRP is not just bad for your average saver, the poor and middle class, but it also impacts companies that work their margins around "safe investments" like insurance.

#8 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I want them to simply increase taxes across the board, and use that revenue to offer me something similar to UK/Canada.

I just don't like women getting free birth control; they won't pay for my vasectomy, or give me good name brand condoms...

The problem with America it's hard to convince the people to pay more taxes (Without losing your place in office), and it's hard to mandate things on the US people. We're capitalist after all; it's my best interest before the interest of others.

I'd increased taxes for all, and mandate basic physicals. There's no reason someone should have stage 2+ cancer in America when our GDP is greater than almost all of Europe combined.

#9 Posted by deeliman (2198 posts) -

I want them to simply increase taxes across the board, and use that revenue to offer me something similar to UK/Canada.

I just don't like women getting free birth control; they won't pay for my vasectomy, or give me good name brand condoms...

The problem with America it's hard to convince the people to pay more taxes (Without losing your place in office), and it's hard to mandate things on the US people. We're capitalist after all; it's my best interest before the interest of others.

I'd increased taxes for all, and mandate basic physicals. There's no reason someone should have stage 2+ cancer in America when our GDP is greater than almost all of Europe combined.

Except it isn't.

#10 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Fightingfan: you could increase taxes to 100% on everyone and still not close the deficit, revenues are not a problem, spending is.

#11 Posted by Nuck81 (5727 posts) -

You don't get free name brand Birth Control from Insurance. I have damn good Insurance and my wife still pays close to $35 a month.

Also most decent insurance plans would cover a Vascectomy. I'm not sure about Plans bought from the exchanges, since I'm ineligible to buy from there. But my plan would cover one.

#12 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan: you could increase taxes to 100% on everyone and still not close the deficit, revenues are not a problem, spending is.

If we're talking a collective pool similar to SS outside spending doesn't matter.

#13 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Fightingfan said:

Except it isn't.

It's almost higher than the entire European Union, which consist of all rich countries. Which is comical because America's one nation.

#14 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Fightingfan: but SS was desegregated long ago, there is no trust, there is no pool, there are projected liabilities, but no savings, and yes spending of any kind by government matters, especially when it is not paid for.

being dumb with your currency ends badly every time, and we have a government that has been so dumb with printing and spending that in 2013 alone 23% of world trade has moved away from dollar reconciliation. another year or two like 2013 and the dollar will no longer be the defacto world reserve currency.

#15 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@surrealnumber5 said:

@Fightingfan: but SS was desegregated long ago, there is no trust, there is no pool, there are projected liabilities, but no savings, and yes spending of any kind by government matters, especially when it is not paid for.

being dumb with your currency ends badly every time, and we have a government that has been so dumb with printing and spending that in 2013 alone 23% of world trade has moved away from dollar reconciliation. another year or two like 2013 and the dollar will no longer be the defacto world reserve currency.

That won't happen. Everyone who tries to mess with OPEC gets a dose of "Freedom".

You want oil you need USD, and historically when you try to purchase oil without the USD you get bombed.

#16 Posted by metal_zombie (2284 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Fightingfan said:

Except it isn't.

if he meant EU then he might be right if projections hold true

#17 Edited by mattbbpl (10551 posts) -

Unless you're referring to the Laffer curve and it's projected net revenue of $0 at the 0% and 100% marks, I'm not seeing your math as the 2013 deficit was about $560 billion and the US GDP is over $15 trillion.

Unless you're using the Laffer curve endpoints to insinuate that any rise in taxes wouldn't result in a closure of the deficit as a general rule, but that would be a particularly dishonest line of reasoning unless you are privy to the apex point of the Laffer curve.

Not to mention that this line of reasoning would discount the fact that, while such a system would raise taxes on the front end, it would also decrease the spending on the back end as a UK style system, as he proposed, would largely replace the significant private insurance company expenditures we currently make.

#18 Posted by Serraph105 (27538 posts) -

You gotta love how Master_Live is basically diddling himself at thought of 2.3 million people (and growing) losing their health insurance. He gives republicans a good name.

#19 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Fightingfan: the US is not the super power it was in 2000, this was proven when russia stopped the US from going to war in iran last year. all of the neo-cons and progressives were full steam ahead for war, in the past that meant war.

the world changes every second of every day, i dont know about you, but i will listen to her, instead of telling her how wrong i think she is.

#20 Posted by Master_Live (13505 posts) -

You gotta love how Master_Live is basically diddling himself at thought of 2.3 million people (and growing) losing their health insurance. He gives republicans a good name.

Except I'm not a Republican, buddy.

#21 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12640 posts) -

A non sustainable healthcare system proposed within a non sustainable economy.

It's genius I say.

You might not be able to find a job, but hell atleast you'll get that tetanus shot after digging through the garbage dump looking for scrap metal.

We are truly living within a magical time.

#22 Posted by deeliman (2198 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Fightingfan said:

Except it isn't.

It's almost higher than the entire European Union, which consist of all rich countries. Which is comical because America's one nation.

Not really that comical, considering the US is a very big country.

#23 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@surrealnumber5 said:

@Fightingfan: the US is not the super power it was in 2000, this was proven when russia stopped the US from going to war in iran last year. all of the neo-cons and progressives were full steam ahead for war, in the past that meant war.

the world changes every second of every day, i dont know about you, but i will listen to her, instead of telling her how wrong i think she is.

Valid point, but I think America's currently in a "Vietnam war" type state.

Americans won't support a war when the majority of the nation can barely get 20 hours a week, and put food on the table. Think the people stopped America's current war hungry Agenda, and not Putin.

It's about time to switch our monetary policy, usually happens every 40 years.

#24 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Fightingfan: putin definitely played a huge role, it caused a pause in the propaganda machine, but i also agree the american people finally standing up and saying no more was the other key factor.

#25 Edited by Serraph105 (27538 posts) -

@Master_Live:

You still seem to be jacking it to the idea of people losing their access healthcare.

#26 Edited by Master_Live (13505 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@Master_Live:

You still seem to be jacking it to the idea of people losing their access healthcare.

Nah, I'm jacking at the fact of seeing that Obama is failing because he is are trying to force people to buy something they might not want. If people knew upfront what the law would do it wouldn't had passed in the first place. "If you like your plan, you can keep it". Mandating plans to cover things people don't want or need.

#27 Edited by RushKing (1720 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

You wouldn't need to raise taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

#28 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23040 posts) -

@Master_Live: technically it never did pass, there was a bill passed in the senate and one in the house, both parts of congress never agreed to a bill, this is why obama "deemed pass" the senate bill, that kinda also throws a screwdriver in the cogs because of the supreme court ruling OBcare's tax provision a tax, taxes having to start off in the house.

#29 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

I never understood vasectomies.

I don't wanna get someone inside my junk like that unless it's something life-threatening.

#30 Edited by Master_Live (13505 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I don't wanna get someone inside my junk like that unless it's something life-threatening.

Basically, ejaculating inside your wife or partner/s and not having to worry about impregnating them.

#31 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

Basically, ejaculating inside your wife or partner/s and not having to worry about impregnating them.

But if you can do that freely, then it takes away the magic.

#32 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

IDK if I can say the word now cuz they change the TOS ever 60 days....

Cuz I wanna CP someone >.>

#33 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

IDK if I can say the word not cuz they change the TOS ever 60 days....

Calling the feds immediately.

#34 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

Go ahead, I hope to god they give me a Rodney King beat down so I can own the US :D

#35 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

Go ahead, I hope to god they give me a Rodney King beat down so I can own the US :D

Can we just reach a compromise and have me lick whipped cream off your abs?

#36 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@RushKing said:

@Fightingfan said:

You wouldn't need to raise taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

That's another issue, which is why I import my drugs from Mexico, Canada, and Turkey to my home.

#37 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@Fightingfan said:

Can we just reach a compromise and have me lick whipped cream off your abs?

I need about 6g of Testosterone Cypionate, and a pack of Dianabol and we have a deal.

#38 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

#

@Nuck81 said:

Ding ding ding. The number's aren't alarming. These younger ones will enroll closer to the deadline. That's one thing. The other is the same Kaiser rep said that if younger ones make up 25% of enrollees, he expects premiums to go up only 2-3%. Not that bad.