Only 2% of companies seeking to hire liberal-arts majors.

#1 Posted by loco145 (10822 posts) -

A mere 2% of companies are actively recruiting college graduates with liberal-arts degrees, according to a new study.

“In the current economy, majoring in liberal arts won't yield good job prospects, so you have to pair a liberal arts degree with business courses in order to become a more appealing candidate,” said Dan Schawbel, founder of Millennial Branding.

The poll surveyed almost 3,000 job seekers and 281 human-resource managers.

According to the survey, 45% of companies say they find candidates on job boards. Nearly one in five said they get candidates from their company websites. An additional 17% look to employee referrals.

More than 7 in 10 HR managers said that referral candidates get high priority when in job searches.

In the brewing debate about the value of a college degree, 73% of hiring managers said colleges are only “somewhat preparing” students for the working world.

Source.

#2 Edited by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

#3 Posted by lostrib (41325 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

#4 Edited by thegerg (15779 posts) -

Odd. My fiancee and I both have liberal arts degrees (her's with a major in biology, mine in gov't studies and military science), and we both just changed jobs. We both found it quite easy, and each had a few job offers from different employers. I guess we just so happened to find that 2%

#5 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

That cat is the best response available

#6 Posted by Assassin_87 (2314 posts) -

Whether or not someone will successfully find employment is, in my experience, more about a mix of the quality of one's resume as well as interviewing skills.

Someone who interviews well and is persistent will beat out almost all other factors much of the time.

#7 Posted by BossPerson (9109 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Odd. My fiancee and I both have liberal arts degrees (her's with a major in biology, mine in gov't studies and military science), and we both just changed jobs. We both found it quite easy, and each had a few job offers from different employers. I guess we just so happened to find that 2%

i heard around here you went to law school though?

#8 Posted by thegerg (15779 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

@thegerg said:

i heard around here you went to law school though?

That's kind of a work in progress.

#9 Posted by wis3boi (31845 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jasean79 said:

#10 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2713 posts) -

A mere .1% of Gamespot users care about your constant tirade against anything and everything involving college education.

#11 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Depends what jobs you looking for I guess.