Once you have a college diploma, a high school diploma becomes obsolete

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 jerico6
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

Did you know that once you have a college degree, your high school diploma becomes useless? Meaning you can drop out of high school but go to a community college, get an associate's Degree, and transfer to a university to get a bachaler's Degree without ever getting a high school diploma.

I learned this when I had talked to a counsler at my community college and it made realize I should just go ahead and just take c lasses that will go for my associate's Degree even though I don't have a high school diploma. Ain't that interesting?

Avatar image for Silver_Dragon17
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Silver_Dragon17
Member since 2007 • 6205 Posts
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VetteMan85
Member since 2005 • 8978 Posts
That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one. And if you want to talk about worthless, talk about that AA degree you want to get. AAs will not land you any better job than a high-school diploma. Get a Bachelors or higher, or don't waste your time with college.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
There are still companies who have a High School specific requirement.. they're just a minority.

It's a "no we won't hire you, you're a quitter" type thing.
g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts
senior year is to much fun to drop out of HS
jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jerico6
That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.VetteMan85
Actually your wrong. At the community college I"m attending, your allowed to take c lasses there even if you don't have a high school diploma. The only requirement for that is that you have to be at least 18 (which I qualify).
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VetteMan85
[QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.jerico6
Actually your wrong. At the community college I"m attending, your allowed to take c lasses there even if you don't have a high school diploma. The only requirement for that is that you have to be at least 18 (which I qualify).

I guess for an AA degree they don't care since its worthless anyway. And any job that does a check you you will see you didn't graduate high school. Good luck though. You can thank you councilor when you are in the unemployment line or working at Walmart.
jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jerico6

[QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.VetteMan85

I guess for an AA degree they don't care since its worthless anyway.

I'm going for an AA so I can go to a 4 year university. Even though a high school diploma will be useless for me once I get a college degree I'm still gonna work to get a high school diploma just so I can say that I got one (math is the reason why I'm behind in high school).

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
Screw high school; just get a GED.
jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jerico6

[QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.VetteMan85

I guess for an AA degree they don't care since its worthless anyway. And any job that does a check you you will see you didn't graduate high school. Good luck though. You can thank you councilor when you are in the unemployment line or working at Walmart.

btw, you are still wrong.

g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts

[QUOTE="VetteMan85"][QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.jerico6

I'm going for an AA so I can go to a 4 year university. Even though a high school diploma will be useless for me once I get a college degree I'm still gonna work to get a high school diploma just so I can say that I got one (math is the reason why I'm behind in high school).

but why drop out in the first place, just take AP classes and get the credit you would have gotten at a comm college and go straight to the university, dropping outtakes more time and effort then just finishing high school

jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jerico6
[QUOTE="jerico6"]

[QUOTE="VetteMan85"][QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.g-unit248

but why drop out in the first place, just take AP classes and get the credit you would have gotten at a comm college and go straight to the university, dropping outtakes more time and effort then just finishing high school

Because I'm 2 years behind in high school when it comes to math. (I'm 18 btw). SO I have to go through community college and I have to go to adult school in order to finish my hs diploma.

VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VetteMan85

[QUOTE="VetteMan85"][QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.jerico6

How am I wrong? I said you are probably correct? I can ASSURE you that I am correct about the worthlessness of AA degrees. I'm just a little older and more experienced than you are kid. Believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about. Just take your time and get your high-school diploma or a GED if you can't muster that. Then go to community college and transfer to a four year university.
fordprefect294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fordprefect294
Member since 2003 • 770 Posts

Yeah, I don't get it. What kind of person is lazy enough to drop out of high school and but then somehow turns around and goes "hmmm...I think I'll go get a Bachelor's Degree"

"Community college is like a disco with books; 'Here's ten dollars; let me get my learn on!' "

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Yes, but why go to a community college when you could finish high school and attend a good university? Not to mention having much much less chances of getting a scholarship -- ie, free cash. Also, why would you want to pay to courses you could get free in High School?
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VetteMan85

Yeah, I don't get it. What kind of person is lazy enough to drop out of high school and but then somehow turns around and goes "hmmm...I think I'll go get a Bachelor's Degree"

"Community college is like a disco with books; 'Here's ten dollars; let me get my learn on!' "

fordprefect294

He said associates, not bachelors.

fordprefect294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fordprefect294

Did you know that once you have a college degree, your high school diploma becomes useless? Meaning you can drop out of high school but go to a community college, get an associate's Degree, and transfer to a university to get a bachaler's Degree without ever getting a high school diploma.

I learned this when I had talked to a counsler at my community college and it made realize I should just go ahead and just take c lasses that will go for my associate's Degree even though I don't have a high school diploma. Ain't that interesting?

jerico6
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VetteMan85
[QUOTE="jerico6"]

fordprefect294

The COUNCILER said that. He said he is shooting for an AA.
fordprefect294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fordprefect294
Although I guess You're right. He didn't say "bachelor's"
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#20 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts

there are things you might learn in high school that you might not be able to experience in college.

i dunno with you, but im talking about the slow maturity thing :p

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
its called a GED, its equivelant to a highschool diploma
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
Everyone needs to back off the AA degrees, my Admin. Assistant has one of those!
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
you wouldnt get into a college that was worth a crap without a highschool diploma
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

you wouldnt get into a college that was worth a crap without a highschool diplomainyourface_12

Actually, yes you can. If you get your GED and go to a community college you can transfer to a University.

My friend did it.

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teuvan

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]you wouldnt get into a college that was worth a crap without a highschool diplomasammyjenkis898

Actually, yes you can. If you get your GED and go to a community college you can transfer to a University.

My friend did it.

This is the way to do things properly.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]you wouldnt get into a college that was worth a crap without a highschool diplomasammyjenkis898

My friend did it.

yea I wanted to do this back when I was 16. Too bad I couldn't get my GED till I was 18 so that ruined the plan. So I drifted through HS and the first couple years of college.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts

fordprefect294
Have you earned an associate's degree from a community college? If so, which college?
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teuvan
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]you wouldnt get into a college that was worth a crap without a highschool diplomajrhawk42

My friend did it.

yea I wanted to do this back when I was 16. Too bad I couldn't get my GED till I was 18 so that ruined the plan. So I drifted through HS and the first couple years of college.

No GED till' 18? Where the hell do you live? I got mine at 16.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
your wrong. My HS diploma is a great dust magnet.8)
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
Go to CDI college
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="jerico6"]

[QUOTE="VetteMan85"][QUOTE="jerico6"][QUOTE="VetteMan85"]That counselor was full of ****. Also if you dropped out of HS and didn't have a degree, you wouldn't be allowed into a Jr. College nor a regular one.VetteMan85

How am I wrong? I said you are probably correct? I can ASSURE you that I am correct about the worthlessness of AA degrees. I'm just a little older and more experienced than you are kid. Believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about. Just take your time and get your high-school diploma or a GED if you can't muster that. Then go to community college and transfer to a four year university.

Not quite. Taken from http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18814396

While an Associates Degree still doesn't normally pay nearly as well as a bachelor's degree, it does pay better than just a high school diploma, and it also makes it easier to get a job.

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
 .Silver_Dragon17
:lol: