Old site vs. New Site

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28012 posts) 10 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Old site vs. New Site (718 votes)

Old site 80%
New Site 21%

Let's get those initial impressions in, people!

Which one do you prefer at the moment?

#151 Edited by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -
  • The default avatar is goddamn hideous, and I can't change it. (clearly the most important issue /sarcasm) (partial fix)
  • Why do we see people's avatars on the forum, instead of the active/hot thread symbol?*
  • Doesn't show the threads you've posted in.*
  • The legibility of the site has taken a nose dive; having no difference in coloration of the text in the forum, makes the stickies look ran together into the actual forum.
  • Forum isn't centered
  • Can't use colors in posts?
  • Small quotes look hideous
  • The contrast between posts is too little to make them look separated (dark)
  • avatar text width doesn't accommodate max username width.
  • Redundancy; post count and user name is in two places (which looks stupid). I think all the post information should be under the avatar (besides the # which should be top left), and add some dead space to the posts, so they have a minimum size.
  • How do I delete pictures? (related to partial fix)
  • Bold + Italic + Underline doesn't seem to work.

*What is the purpose of changing this? It adds absolutely nothing, and takes something else away.

edit: Re-ordered a little, and highlighted by the severity of the issue.

#152 Edited by anzelm (889 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898: I can see how many has voted. Right now it says 232 and 79% is for the old site. Well, I'll go out on a limb here and state that I like the new site even though 30 second commercials at the start of every video is annoying.

#153 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -

• The default avatar is goddamn hideous, and I can't change it. (clearly the most important issue /sarcasm)
  • Why do we see people's avatars on the forum, instead of the active/hot thread symbol? *
  • The legibility of the site has taken a nose dive; having no difference in coloration of the text in the forum, makes the stickies look ran together into the actual forum.
  • The contrast between posts is too little to make them look separated (dark)
  • Forum isn't centered
  • Small quotes look hideous.
  • Can't use colors in text?
  • avatar text width doesn't accommodate max username width.
  • Redundancy; post count and user name is in two places (which looks stupid). I think all the post information should be under the avatar (besides the # which should be top left), and add some dead space to the posts, so they have a minimum size.

*What is the purpose of changing this? It adds absolutely nothing, and takes something else away.

Everyone up vote this guy. and make a sig of him in honor of Gamespot failure

#154 Posted by Pressure (7 posts) -

I cannot even view my profile. Is anyone else able to view it? I can't even adjust my preferences...

#155 Posted by Assimilat0r (745 posts) -

LEVELS???????? :(

#156 Edited by TigusVidiks (244 posts) -

Like this layaout and the fresher look. Old site was... too old. Still, it would be nice to get the new one working. For now it's little more that eye candy since almost nothing works. I can't even access my profile. And can't find support/feedback forums.

#157 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14361 posts) -

Like this layaout and the fresher look. Old site was... too old. Still, it would be nice to get the new one working. For now it's little more that eye candy since almost nothing works. I can't even access my profile. And can't find support/feedback forums.

Hope this helps a bit.

#158 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

The old site, by a distance. At least it was easy to navigate, you didn't get errors, didn't look awful and you could log in straight away. The new site is just a mess.

#159 Posted by Kasceis18 (3076 posts) -

Old site man..

#161 Posted by loafofgame (424 posts) -

There's no community-made editorials on the homepage, which I miss because that's what made me make this account in the first place.

Yes! This is something that disappoints me aswell. I can pretty much deal with all the other stuff.

#162 Posted by gamefreak215jd (49 posts) -

The whole Profile feeds feel like as if your talking to yourself.Hate that we can't reply to posts like in Fuse or forums.Goodbye Fuse,you'll be missed.

#163 Edited by aaronmullan (33400 posts) -

I tried to vote for the new site and it said "something went wrong!" which is kind of ironic. But yeah, I prefer the new site because it's actually new and breathes a bit of life into GS.

#164 Posted by talent313 (2 posts) -

To answer OP - old design is far superior to this

Am I the only one that is totally bemused by the way your game collections are handled in new site. All the info they give is cover and name, games are sorted by god knows what parameter and there are no way to change anything (as far as i can figure out). The old site had that feature nailed to perfection all the info you need in one simple table that you can sort any way you like.

Oh and I noticed that game expansion packs are no longer considered to be a separate games. Example - Doom 3 RoE can't no longer be found by searching and when i try to access it from my game list it just links to doom 3 review.

Anyway the navigation and forum problems were mentioned by others so I won't repeat them.

I can see myself getting used to the new design in the future but if they aren't bringing good features from old site that people liked, I won't be staying around here long.

#165 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

I almost never like change right away. But I'm sure I'll get used to the new site after a while, and after they work out all these dang glitches.

#166 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

It's good.

Yeah it's broken right now (because guess what happens when you launch an entirely new website, guys) but so was the old one. They've already completed job #1, get rid of the decrepit 2005 web design. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

#167 Posted by aaronmullan (33400 posts) -

It's good.

Yeah it's broken right now (because guess what happens when you launch an entirely new website, guys) but so was the old one. They've already completed job #1, get rid of the 2005 web design. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Totally agree. I think they're doing this so they can add new (probably pointless) features that they couldn't with the old website code.

#168 Posted by helsou (19 posts) -

Gamespot was great for game lists. Lots of information in one place and easy to use. Game stack as is right now is useless. Nice to the eye but impractical. In my launch hour I will search for alternatives.

#169 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Once (a.k.a IF) they fix the bugs and make everything functional, I prefer the new site.

#170 Edited by TheRealTimeplitter (12 posts) -

I think its fine. I love the new forums. So much that i"m gonne start posting.

Like others have said, once they fix the site it will be good:)

#171 Edited by mep69 (1828 posts) -

This is sooooo sluggish. Bring the old site back please :(

#172 Posted by Duck_Zero (55 posts) -

@awptical said:

This site isnt even done yet. This is merely a shell of whats to come. Relax, people. This is much cleaner and more "modern", if such a term can be used for this. Cant wait to see whats in store.

^ This

#173 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69814 posts) -

i prefer the older site

#174 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Old site! I liked the dark old site, this is too white--is there an option here like there was before? And the new site is slooooow. Also, gonna miss colors, gifs, etc. LAME!

#175 Posted by Random-Target (174 posts) -

The look is nice, but it loads slower than before, stuff is harder to find now. Also it feels now like a generic videogame website, not Gamespot anymore...

#176 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Old site! I liked the dark old site, this is too white--is there an option here like there was before? And the new site is slooooow. Also, gonna miss colors, gifs, etc. LAME!

There's the option in the top right.

#177 Edited by Oil_Rope_Bombs (2671 posts) -

Complete, utter shit. Takes way longer to load, super hard to navigate, and it's just... all over the place. Hate it.

#178 Posted by Oil_Rope_Bombs (2671 posts) -

Holy crap, refreshing takes you back to the first page, and you can't change your avatar from this incredibly ugly default one. Good job, gamespot.

#179 Edited by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

@1oh1nine1 said:

There's the option in the top right.

Thank you very much for posting this I couldn't find it until you mentioned it.

#180 Posted by DJMist (90 posts) -

Why are you ruining your sites? GameTrailers site also had the same abuse... I never ever used it since.

You say that you are changing GS site after 17 years... 17 years means that the old site was functional and easy to use and therefore lasted so many years.

So the right move would be to Update/Upgrade the old one. This new site is so confusing, my head spins just to find the right order of the latest news, reviews etc.

Its all so messed up! Anarchy at its finest!

If this sorry excuse for a site stays, I am certainly out!

#181 Edited by ricardo-sene (767 posts) -

Does anyone knows where the Daily News link was placed?

#182 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I hate that you can't jump back to Off Topic from the bottom of the page

#183 Posted by tysonwritesel (2261 posts) -

Logging in was a little tricky but it should be fine once we get our avatars and sigs.

#184 Edited by xsubtownerx (10705 posts) -

*cough* Tablet friendly, PC unfriendly?

#185 Posted by Sporks_Calamity (6 posts) -

In the words of Harry Hill. "I like the old site, but I also like the new site. But which is better?. Well, there's only one way to find out......FIGHT!!!!!".

#186 Posted by DarknautXXX (119 posts) -

I actually like the new site more than I thought I would, so far. Having said that, I'm not sure if I like it more than the old one, so I'll wait to vote.

#187 Posted by blangenakker (2184 posts) -

The old site was fine the way it was.

#188 Edited by Geon106 (118 posts) -

The new website has lots of potential. But certainly needs work

My main concerns are the following:

• Videos are no longer playing - I can see the video controls but that's it. I have tried multiple browsers and re-installing Flash Player
  • Unable to change my avatar pic - Clicking the "Select Image" buttons does nothing
  • Unable to re-do my stacks/lists - Changes don't take effect, I get a message saying "Choose valid template" yet cannot see any option for a template
  • Slow responsiveness - The new style looks quite nice but even on Virgin 120MB broadband each page can take about twice as long as the old site to load
  • Not much personalization - One thing I think they[Gamespot] are trying to do is make your profile more personal and more of a social hub, but right now feels quite limited. I still cannot find a way of changing how the site looks like in the FAQ(i.e the darker theme etc)

I think this new style has potential and I really am looking forward to what it will be like when it's finished. But until then it feels like we are using it in Beta or preview rather than a fully released re-skin. But I am sure Gamespot will get it resolved in good time :)

Edit: I voted new site as I do like the new look and don't think it will take much to improve it/fix it

#189 Edited by supermajic (105 posts) -

Aesthetically this is nicer. It's easier to look at. But it's incredibly buggy and I can't view my past ratings.

Edit: Now that I've been browsing for a little while, I feel like this site was prematurely released.

• Can't view a list of my ratings.
  • Can no longer rate the same game per platform.
  • My ratings have been rounded.
  • Platform pages dead?

Will obviously abandon gamespot if I can no longer view a history of my ratings. Imagine if IMDB suddenly fucked with its users' ratings without warning? And there was no warning. I was told explicitly that old ratings with half points would remain unchanged, but the site shows they have been rounded.

#190 Posted by helsou (19 posts) -

The old site. I am Amish !!

-> without the game collection functionality like it was, this is just another videogame site.

#191 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

This new site seems a bit cluttered.

#192 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

I think people are a bit harsh here, the new site looks nice and intuitive but obviously it is not yet complete and i am sure gamespot are getting complaints about the issues already, but overall i think this new look would grow on me

#193 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10080 posts) -

was this crappy look absolutely necessary?

#194 Posted by Macutchi (3968 posts) -

page load times are around 3-4 times longer now.

the forums look utterly devoid of character. bland, lifeless and insipid.

dead links everywhere.

404 errors abound.

and so on... why on earth have they launched this mess without finishing the damn thing first?

they seemed to have completely ignored the feedback and opinions of the forum regulars - the lifeblood of the site - who've been here for years and made it the site that it is / was. i'm not happy... :/

#195 Edited by Iridion-II (1343 posts) -

Thundercats.... Ho!!!11111

#196 Edited by Jmcdo1998 (1 posts) -

So far, I think the old site was better. I can't seem to change my avatar picture and everyone has the same as me. I can't save stacks either, there's some error when i try it. WTF IS GOING ON?!?!?@#$%^&*((()?!@

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#197 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

This is beyond skewed at this point. The new site has been up for a few hours. People shouldn't judge at this point.

This is weak. When will it be "acceptable to judge" then?

It's dumb to judge the site based on things such as load times or missing subforums, I agree. I'm sure the site will run quicker down the line. However, I'm assuming the general layout of the forums is going to more or less stay the same. Why can't we judge that aspect?

#198 Posted by Derek3143 (78 posts) -

The old Gamespot website provided average user scores for each version of a game. The new website doesn't seem to have any option to see this - you get one average for all user scores for a given game.

So if, for example, 500 users give a great PS3 game a 9.2, and then the creators of the game come out with a crappy PSP version, which gets 500 users giving it a 7.2, you know what you're going to see? 1000 users with an 8.2 average score. This renders user reviews for cross-platform games pretty useless if there's any quality difference between the versions. This sucks ass if you rely on user scores at all, which I do.

#199 Posted by John_Aguilera (494 posts) -

@thegerg: Remember, this is a gaming site. There's always going to be immature kids whining and bitching about everything. Sad to say that some adults also act like immature 12 year old morons. Anyways have a nice day.

#200 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Launch seems premature. Too many functions are missing or non working. The forums are mainly where I go and it's difficult to see who is posting what with the generic avatars and shortened user names. The board selection is more limited.

Old by far at this stage.....and I doubt that will change with the smaller sig anyway.