old people are so jealous of gamers LOL

  • 88 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by GazaAli (22962 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

I'm not trying to defend Golf or anything, God knows how much disregard and mockery I have for it. But I think it wouldn't be fair to claim that physical fitness has absolutely no effect on one's performance in the game. Having an exceptionally fit, lean, muscular and flexible physique can certainly make your swing much superior to someone that is lacking in any or all of these physical attributes.

#52 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

I'm not trying to defend Golf or anything, God knows how much disregard and mockery I have for it. But I think it wouldn't be fair to claim that physical fitness has absolutely no effect on one's performance in the game. Having an exceptionally fit, lean, muscular and flexible physique can certainly make your swing much superior to someone that is lacking in any or all of these physical attributes.

Not saying you wrong as I am not an expert in Golf. But I doubt a lean fit person would have a SUPERIOR advantage.

#53 Posted by GazaAli (22962 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

I'm not trying to defend Golf or anything, God knows how much disregard and mockery I have for it. But I think it wouldn't be fair to claim that physical fitness has absolutely no effect on one's performance in the game. Having an exceptionally fit, lean, muscular and flexible physique can certainly make your swing much superior to someone that is lacking in any or all of these physical attributes.

Not saying you wrong as I am not an expert in Golf. But I doubt a lean fit person would have a SUPERIOR advantage.

I don't know jack about the game myself so who knows. Also it would be a superior advantage when coupled with high degree of talent and skill in the game, that's what I was trying to say.

#54 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@GazaAli:

And I'm saying that a fat guy could be just as talented in Golf.

#55 Posted by GazaAli (22962 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

And I'm saying that a fat guy could be just as talented in Golf.

-_-

#56 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

And I'm saying that a fat guy could be just as talented in Golf.

probably not. you gotta be able to shift your body weight just right in golf, in order to make an accurate shot.

in my exp. bigger dudes can hit further, but they also get in rough, sandtraps and water a lot more often.

#57 Posted by deeliman (2440 posts) -

I don't know, if chess and darts are considered sports, then why not gaming?

#58 Posted by GazaAli (22962 posts) -

@deeliman said:

I don't know, if chess and darts are considered sports, then why not gaming?

The idea is to try and reduce the number of improperly or falsely claimed sports not add to them one more ha! An attempt to promote proper semantics and language usage instead of whimsical and inconsistent applying of terminologies and definitions.

#59 Posted by Thessassin (1819 posts) -

pro gaming as competitive as it is isnt a sport. Pro Gamers arent "athletes" as there's nothing athletic about it

#60 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151386 posts) -

@deeliman said:

I don't know, if chess and darts are considered sports, then why not gaming?

It's not athletic? Who considers chess and darts sports?

#61 Edited by Chutebox (37351 posts) -

Um, Hell no it shouldn't.

@JustSignedUp said:

pro gaming should be considered as a sport.

#62 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5385 posts) -

"It's still not a sport, it's a game" - Old lady.

Idiot confirmed.

#63 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5385 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

#64 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16323 posts) -

@helwa1988 said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

Chess doesn't require you to leave the couch. Yet it is considered a sport.

True. Yet, in all chess tournaments, the players still have to physically interact with the chess pieces, not watch from some screen. I haven't seen a chess tournament yet where chess players play electronically even though the latter is widely available.

Video game tournaments not being considered a sport is not really a bad thing. They're still fun to watch and players do make money off them if they're good enough.

#65 Edited by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

And I'm saying that a fat guy could be just as talented in Golf.

probably not. you gotta be able to shift your body weight just right in golf, in order to make an accurate shot.

in my exp. bigger dudes can hit further, but they also get in rough, sandtraps and water a lot more often.

There's a lot of fat people who play baseball/softball.

The getting into sand traps is just lack of experience.

#66 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

Its looks like you completely ignored the half skill part.

#67 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Can't say that I think of any e-sports player as an athlete.

#68 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5385 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

Its looks like you completely ignored the half skill part.

It looks like you don't understand the nature of "luck". If a whopping 50% of succeeding in golf was down to luck, you wouldn't have someone dominating for such a long period of time, because you have to factor in the random nature of luck, which I'm assuming applies equally to everyone - unless you believe some people are luckier than others.

#69 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -

Why are you obsessed with what they call it? The competitors are getting paid. The crowds are having fun and being entertained. The sponsorship are blossoming. The games are getting played.

What difference does it make what those people call it?

#70 Edited by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

Its looks like you completely ignored the half skill part.

It looks like you don't understand the nature of "luck". If a whopping 50% of succeeding in golf was down to luck, you wouldn't have someone dominating for such a long period of time, because you have to factor in the random nature of luck, which I'm assuming applies equally to everyone - unless you believe some people are luckier than others.

I was getting at is that you only ripped me on the luck part. It almost if I have said 10% you still will attack me.

#71 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5385 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

Its looks like you completely ignored the half skill part.

It looks like you don't understand the nature of "luck". If a whopping 50% of succeeding in golf was down to luck, you wouldn't have someone dominating for such a long period of time, because you have to factor in the random nature of luck, which I'm assuming applies equally to everyone - unless you believe some people are luckier than others.

I was getting at is that you only ripped me on the luck part. It almost if I have said 10% you still will attack me.

Not at all, 10% is a much more reasonable sounding percentage. Still, I bet luck accounts for an even smaller amount in pro golf.

Just curious - what is it about golf that makes you think luck plays a bigger role in winning than any other sport? Or do you think all sports require a lot of luck?

#72 Posted by deeliman (2440 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@deeliman said:

I don't know, if chess and darts are considered sports, then why not gaming?

It's not athletic? Who considers chess and darts sports?

Chess and darts aren't athletic either. And the International Olympic Committee considers chess a sport, not sure about darts though.

#73 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma:

"Just curious - what is it about golf that makes you think luck plays a bigger role in winning than any other sport? Or do you think all sports require a lot of luck?"

If someone hits a hole in one, how much is that actual skill?

#74 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5385 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma:

"Just curious - what is it about golf that makes you think luck plays a bigger role in winning than any other sport? Or do you think all sports require a lot of luck?"

If someone hits a hole in one, how much is that actual skill?

It takes a lot of skill just to get the ball anywhere near the hole, but I'll give it to you that getting the ball right into the hole first go takes a bit of luck, but it's not a 50/50 skill/luck scenario like you originally said. Regardless, hole in ones aren't required to win golf, so it's not a major aspect of the game.

#75 Posted by VanDammFan (4285 posts) -

young people are loud,rude,ungrateful,all knowing,self righteous,and feel entitled to everything without working and trying to be responsible and an important positive influence to society..There,..how does that make you feel TC?

#76 Edited by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@PernicioEnigma:

"Just curious - what is it about golf that makes you think luck plays a bigger role in winning than any other sport? Or do you think all sports require a lot of luck?"

If someone hits a hole in one, how much is that actual skill?

It takes a lot of skill just to get the ball anywhere near the hole, but I'll give it to you that getting the ball right into the hole first go takes a bit of luck, but it's not a 50/50 skill/luck scenario like you originally said. Regardless, hole in ones aren't required to win golf, so it's not a major aspect of the game.

Maybe I went to far with the 50/50.

#77 Posted by Ugalde- (3653 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Pro gaming is competitive and that's all that it is. An activity that has competitive aspects and high potential of competitiveness is not automatically a sport. By that definition, scramble, bingo, Sudoku and card games are all sports.

Its pretty straightforward that its mind boggling to see many people out there argue otherwise. An activity that is competitive AND relies on physical exertion and skill is a sport. Anything else is just a competition of some sort. I don't see how pro gaming not being considered a sport discredits it or devalues it, and its pretty stupid to call those who do nothing but mashing buttons and waving their mouses and motion controllers sportsmen.

I agree with this and I love competitive gaming.

#78 Posted by AFBrat77 (24135 posts) -

@JustSignedUp said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Box01YzekaQ

theyre so mad that they have to talk out of their ass. they should be FUCKING embarrassed that the younger generation are putting them in their place.

pro gaming should be considered as a sport. In sports you use strategy and thinking to win, same shit. You dont win fights in the UFC by having big arms, you think of a strategy to open up your opponent. What fucking losers these old fucks are.

rot in hell u fucking crypt keepers

the younger generation is a bunch of arrogant asses without respect to those who have been there and done that. They think they know it all, when truth is, they know pretty much nothing yet. Thats my beef with the younger generation, they are largely clueless about life yet think they have it all figured out by age 20.

Didn't bother watching the video, but given the statements you made minus having seen the video you sound extremely arrogant. You will be older some day so don't think things will be different for you, because they won't be.

#79 Edited by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

asdfgasgaergarfga

#80 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Pro gaming is competitive and that's all that it is. An activity that has competitive aspects and high potential of competitiveness is not automatically a sport. By that definition, scramble, bingo, Sudoku and card games are all sports.

Its pretty straightforward that its mind boggling to see many people out there argue otherwise. An activity that is competitive AND relies on physical exertion and skill is a sport. Anything else is just a competition of some sort. I don't see how pro gaming not being considered a sport discredits it or devalues it, and its pretty stupid to call those who do nothing but mashing buttons and waving their mouses and motion controllers sportsmen.

I dunno, I think moving thumbs and fingers might be considered physical exertion.

I'm joking though...

#81 Edited by GreySeal9 (24407 posts) -

"Old people are so jealous of gamers"

I very much doubt that.

#82 Edited by platinumking320 (667 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@JustSignedUp said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Box01YzekaQ

theyre so mad that they have to talk out of their ass. they should be FUCKING embarrassed that the younger generation are putting them in their place.

pro gaming should be considered as a sport. In sports you use strategy and thinking to win, same shit. You dont win fights in the UFC by having big arms, you think of a strategy to open up your opponent. What fucking losers these old fucks are.

rot in hell u fucking crypt keepers

A fucking couch potato is a fucking couch potato. That's what these gamers are. Until they're actually in the game instead of watching from a screen, that's all they will be: a bunch of fucking couch potatoes.

Hmmm Sounds like the matrix to me. 'In the game' is a little too close for comfort. The freedom of switching off'd still be important. Don't want to end up getting farmed in the real world and not know about it the whole time.

#83 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

If that was true, then how come Tiger Woods was able to dominate in golf for so long? Is he just a lucky guy?

I think it was also said that Tiger Woods competition was weak during his run.

#84 Edited by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

I don't think they're jealous...maybe they're just mad at people who play video games.

#85 Posted by geraldwillkill (1134 posts) -

Pro gaming is a sport I mean its the 21st century not the stone age where cave men tossed around balls like a bunch of animals

#86 Posted by Welkabonz (1681 posts) -

Are board games sports?

#87 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I personally don't really give a fuck. Anyone who is too adamant on either side of the issue is annoying imo. I mean I have no real problem if someone doesn't want to consider it a sport, though I found the discussion on what is supposed to be a pretty forward thinking and interesting show (Real Sports) sadly narrowminded.

Again though, I could see why people would not consider it a sport - hell I'm not sure I do either, but I think you could certainly have a discussion about it. That is what annoyed me, the way several of those commentators just brushed it aside as a preposterous idea, when really it is hardly any crazier than ESPN airing Billiards, Poker, the Spelling Bee, or even Bowling as professional sports.

#88 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

I'm not trying to defend Golf or anything, God knows how much disregard and mockery I have for it. But I think it wouldn't be fair to claim that physical fitness has absolutely no effect on one's performance in the game. Having an exceptionally fit, lean, muscular and flexible physique can certainly make your swing much superior to someone that is lacking in any or all of these physical attributes.

Not saying you wrong as I am not an expert in Golf. But I doubt a lean fit person would have a SUPERIOR advantage.

For what it's worth during the middle of Tiger's career he was arguably one of the most fit golf players to ever play the game. He was built, and in quite good shape. Is that the sole reason for his success? Of course not, otherwise fitness models would excel at golf, but it probably didn't hurt.

#89 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@TacticalDesire said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli said:

@PSP107 said:

@GazaAli:

Golf is half skill and half luck.

I'm not trying to defend Golf or anything, God knows how much disregard and mockery I have for it. But I think it wouldn't be fair to claim that physical fitness has absolutely no effect on one's performance in the game. Having an exceptionally fit, lean, muscular and flexible physique can certainly make your swing much superior to someone that is lacking in any or all of these physical attributes.

Not saying you wrong as I am not an expert in Golf. But I doubt a lean fit person would have a SUPERIOR advantage.

For what it's worth during the middle of Tiger's career he was arguably one of the most fit golf players to ever play the game. He was built, and in quite good shape. Is that the sole reason for his success? Of course not, otherwise fitness models would excel at golf, but it probably didn't hurt.

Wasn't his competition old enough to be his father during that span?