Old friends don't give a **** about me anymore

#1 Posted by crazyguy111 (232 posts) -

Hey, I am about to start college, and recently graduated from high school a few months ago. I've noticed that my old friends don't care about me much anymore. For example, I was friends with this foreign exchange student from China, we used to hang out on the weekends and go to the gym often (no homo.) I've emailed him the other day and asked him when he was coming back to the US of A, and he ignored me. I've texted him, and he ignored me again. His college starts early too, and the college he is attending is in the same town where I currently live.

This other guy is going to college in the same city that I will be going to college to. We both have the same major, and both got about the same grades in high school. He even told me towards the end of the year that we should hand out and he could even hire me and we could work on some business ideas together (we are both doing business major. ) I sent him a Facebook message and he ignored me as well.

Thoughts? How to get over this?

#2 Posted by johnd13 (8145 posts) -

*ignores you*

#3 Posted by airshocker (29695 posts) -

Just get over it, dude. Some things don't work out. If you dwell on them you're going to become fucked up.

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16766 posts) -

In the case of the latter it's quite possible that your friend simply does not go on FB very much. From what he said, it didn't sound like he would intentionally shut you out. I wouldn't sweat that. As far as the first one goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. It sucks but I guess if the guy is gonna be that way towards you then you're better off without him.

Plus you're bound to make new friends in college.

#5 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

You're starting college? Fuck them, lol dude you can make friends easy in college. HS is harder to be cool due to cliquishness

#6 Posted by crazyguy111 (232 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

In the case of the latter it's quite possible that your friend simply does not go on FB very much. From what he said, it didn't sound like he would intentionally shut you out. I wouldn't sweat that. As far as the first one goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. It sucks but I guess if the guy is gonna be that way towards you then you're better off without him.

Actually it says he already read the FB message. Thanks for commenting though.

#7 Edited by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -

Find new friends?

#8 Edited by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

You are REALLY young... so let me give you some advice. People in general SUCK. They are liars, selfish pieces of crap and incredibly dishonest AND unreliable. Don't count on anyone for anything serious. Focus on yourself and be cynical regarding all people who you interact with. Also try to think about if you really want to be a business major. It may be easier to find a job, but think about what it will FEEL like to work in business. I know A LOT of business people and they are largely miserable. Maybe try doing an internship ASAP, or try to talk to someone honest (good luck finding one) about doing business stuff for a living. Good luck.

#9 Posted by BranKetra (48620 posts) -

There are seven billion human beings alive currently and that number is growing. You will find new friends. Trust me.

#10 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16766 posts) -

@crazyguy111 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Actually it says he already read the FB message. Thanks for commenting though.

Still, could be anything. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions because trust me when I say that doing so only ends poorly.

#11 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

try this trick...

#12 Posted by Korvus (3836 posts) -

@donquixote said:

You are REALLY young... so let me give you some advice. People in general SUCK. They are liars, selfish pieces of crap and incredibly dishonest AND unreliable. Don't count on anyone for anything serious. Focus on yourself and be cynical regarding all people who you interact with. Also try to think about if you really want to be a business major. It may be easier to find a job, but think about what it will FEEL like to work in business. I know A LOT of business people and they are largely miserable. Maybe try doing an internship ASAP, or try to talk to someone honest (good luck finding one) about doing business stuff for a living. Good luck.

What a miserable take on life...cheer up buddy...less complaining, more working on making your own life better.

#13 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

You're obviously going to make friends in college, so if you really want to know why they are ignoring you just ask them. Personally, i only have a handful of friends left after high school since most of them went to study abroad.

#14 Posted by Xeno_ghost (683 posts) -

Were they your only friends? Do you find it hard making new friends or did they really mean that much to you that it hurts you that they have ignored you?

In any case you made those friends so you will make more in the future.

#15 Posted by Master_Live (14647 posts) -

Fuck 'em dude. You are going to motherfucking college, you are pretty close to winning at life.

#16 Posted by indzman (17810 posts) -

Freinds come and go , only selected few becomes your best freinds if you are lucky. Life moves on without freinds also for many persons you know ( That includes me ).

#17 Posted by playmynutz (5983 posts) -

Just got out of high school lol yeah that is when your friends stop caring about you but its time to out do them in life

#18 Edited by crazyguy111 (232 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

Were they your only friends? Do you find it hard making new friends or did they really mean that much to you that it hurts you that they have ignored you?

In any case you made those friends so you will make more in the future.

I had a few other friends, but they are mostly going to college in other cities and states.

#19 Edited by bforrester420 (1604 posts) -

The friends you'll make in college typically end up being the friends you have for life. Much more so than kids you grow up with in primary school, strangely.

#20 Posted by Renevent42 (5277 posts) -

@donquixote said:

This is great advice...that is if you are looking to live out a miserable existence.

#21 Posted by magicalclick (22685 posts) -

As a homo, I didn't even have the courage to ask a guy to hangout in a gym. You are brave.

#22 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

Don't worry about old friends. People will want to be your friend if you look like you're having fun even by yourself. I think this is a good opportunity for you to go get some new friends and do some things you wouldn't be able to do with your old friends. Highschool friends don't really last anyways because people go their separate ways.

I mean there's gotta be something you can do since you don't have people to work with right? You should put all your efforts into your major maybe or look for people who bring the best out of you.

#23 Posted by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

@Renevent42: I am telling it as it is. Maybe you are delusional.

#24 Edited by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

@bforrester420: Really? I made 0 friends in college and so did everyone else I was already friends with. I kept two friends I made in high school... sort of.

#25 Edited by Renevent42 (5277 posts) -
@donquixote said:

Not delusional. I'm happy, which is probably why I have better experiences with people than you do. Your outlook on this topic blows, and is a recipe for a sad life. Hey, your entitled to it of course, but as advice it stinks.

#26 Edited by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

@Renevent42: My life is mediocre at the moment... not that bad. So you are telling me that people in general do not suck and can be trusted? Really?

#27 Posted by Master_Live (14647 posts) -

@Renevent42 said:
@donquixote said:

I'm happy, which is probably why I have better experiences with people than you do.

So being happy is a pre-requisite to have better experiences with people?

#28 Edited by Renevent42 (5277 posts) -
@donquixote said:

@Renevent42: My life is mediocre at the moment... not that bad. So you are telling me that people in general do not suck and can be trusted? Really?

Not sure what kind of people you generally interact with, but no, that's not my experience at all. Obviously there are shitty people in the world and it would be unwise to trust every person you ever meet. But the world is also filled with tons of awesome people as well. I think a person's outlook/attitude actually fosters your personal circle. If you walk around with a really cynical and negative attitude it doesn't surprise me that is what you see and what surrounds you. Conversely, people who are happy/trustworthy/positive tend to attract other happy/trustworthy/positive so your social circle I think is kind of a reflection of that.

Anyways I hope whatever is causing your life to be merely mediocre at the moment changes for the better...I mean that.

#29 Posted by Renevent42 (5277 posts) -
@Master_Live said:

@Renevent42 said:
@donquixote said:

I'm happy, which is probably why I have better experiences with people than you do.

So being happy is a pre-requisite to have better experiences with people?

Pre-requisite, maybe not, but yeah your outward attitude absolutely affects your social life and how you are perceived/treated and who you attract etc.

#30 Posted by PS2fweak (146 posts) -

They never were your friends, based on how you described them. Some people just hang out with each other in HS, because that's what you need to do, similar to prison. Nobody wants to be a loner. I had a good amount of friends, but it seemed like I had a lot more. Many were just people who grouped together for whatever reason. If you're being honest, you already know who your actual friends are/were. With me, it wasn't people who said we would hang out, because we never stopped hanging out. There's no awkward break. You just turned 18 and it's summer, so why would you stop hanging out because of lack of school?

Either way, don't worry. You will probably make many more friends in college and work. That's when I found people who are actually just like me and into the same stuff, or completely different, but mature enough to be secure about our differences. I tried to be the cool kid in HS and I missed out on people who were gamers like me. I met most of my gamer friends at college and work.

#31 Edited by bforrester420 (1604 posts) -

@donquixote said:

@bforrester420: Really? I made 0 friends in college and so did everyone else I was already friends with. I kept two friends I made in high school... sort of.

Did you live in the dorms for any extended period?

#32 Posted by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

@bforrester420: Nope, but some of the people I knew did and they also made no friends... lol. Not to say that NOBODY made any real friends. I am still glad I went to college. There is HUGE difference between people with a higher education and those without one. I also loved the first two years of college... the last two were awful... but oh well.

#33 Edited by lamprey263 (23951 posts) -

oh, that's life, you'll make new friends in college, ones you'll probably not talk to much after graduating, and then you'll make new friends and the cycle continues

#34 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Fuck 'em dude. You are going to motherfucking college, you are pretty close to winning at life.

Lol. Yup. So close. Final stretch. A very, very, very long stretch.