Obnoxious IGN Star Wars vs Star Trek article

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -

Juding Star Trek by Star Wars standards, FTW

SWVSST.jpg

Star Trek isn't about heros and villans.  The weapons are secondary.

'Films?'  What about 'TV Show' -- there's a Star Wars show and this catagory would make more sense than ... Robots?! Clearly a catagory favoring Star Wars.

#2 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

They should not be compared.

#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

They should not be compared.

Lance2500

this.

you can't compare sci fi vs fantasy.

#4 Posted by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

Both are awesome

#5 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -

1337043677145.jpg

If that's how they wanted to compare the series...(and the Imperium haven't got sh!t on some other spacefaring races...)

Star Trek has many merits that Star Wars does not. Space Opera is a legitimate form of soft science fiction, but I don't really find them so comparable. 

#6 Posted by Big_Pecks (5240 posts) -

Neither side wins.

#7 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
trekkies mad that star wars is better
#8 Posted by MetroidPrimePwn (12399 posts) -

Lets add some more arbitrary categories while we're at it.

J. J. Abrams:

Star Wars(1) Star Trek (1)

#9 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Both are awesome

Ballroompirate
#10 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

I think this thread is more obnoxious than th IGN article. It's clear Star Wars wins hands down and you're just trying to ignore that by brushing off the obvious robot lead it has.

#11 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Both are awesome

Ballroompirate

Agreed.  I'll be in my ready room.  

#12 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

I think this thread is more obnoxious than th IGN article. It's clear Star Wars wins hands down and you're just trying to ignore that by brushing off the obvious robot lead it has.

WiiCubeM1

:lol:

I love Star Wars, but let's face it.. Star Trek has about 100 awesome episodes and 4-5 great movies.  Star Wars has 3 good movies.  Also..

tumblr_mk4f0t4FUi1rw2uyvo8_1280.jpg

and..

-Seven-of-Nine-alias-Jeri-Lynn-Zimmerman

and..

Zoe-Saldana-CK-Lingerie-1.jpg

#13 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

Both are awesome

Ballroompirate

#14 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18334 posts) -
Star Wars is superior. #dealwithit
#15 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
All I know is I saw the 2009 star trek movie and couldn't believe anyone thought it was good.
#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Both are awesome

hartsickdiscipl

Agreed.  I'll be in my ready room.  

Make it so number one

#17 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

In terms of a who would win in a battle, Star Wars seems a more likely choice given it is less constrained to be grounded in the idea of plausibility that Star Trek is.

#18 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

ign is biased

#19 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

In terms of a who would win in a battle, Star Wars seems a more likely choice given it is less constrained to be grounded in the idea of plausibility that Star Trek is.

dercoo

well yeah, what can you fight space wizards with?

maybe the doctor could make a cure for that  sexually transmited blood disease that gives you wizard powers or something is all i can think of.

#20 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

What a dumb article

how about, plots, writing, dialogue, influence... i'd say things like that would be a better way of comparing then whatever type of random generic lazer gun either movies use...Why are the prequels nowhere to be mentioned, yet they show nemesis?...

#21 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Why are the prequels nowhere to be mentioned, yet they show nemesis?...

VendettaRed07

GOOD question.

#22 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -
Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi. And Star Trek is like generic fantasy universe in space. You have your Vulcans which are space elves, they're wise and live forever and have self control, and mystical powers, and pointy ears. Romulan are dark elves. Klingon or orcs, brute and ugly. And humans are humans, short lives that lead to unpredictable behavior, naive in the world, have tremendous weakness, physically and in spirit.
#23 Posted by jetpower3 (11614 posts) -

I'm not much of a Trekkie, but I will say that Star Wars works have the tendency to be poorly written. At the end of the day, the quality of work in both of the series is highly uneven. 

#24 Posted by Buckhannah (293 posts) -
trekkies mad that star wars is bettercheese_game619
warsies are mad that they still have to pretend the prequels didn't all suck.
#25 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi. And Star Trek is like generic fantasy universe in space. You have your Vulcans which are space elves, they're wise and live forever and have self control, and mystical powers, and pointy ears. Romulan are dark elves. Klingon or orcs, brute and ugly. And humans are humans, short lives that lead to unpredictable behavior, naive in the world, have tremendous weakness, physically and in spirit.lamprey263

Where do all the other races fit in?  Andorians?  Tellarites?  Jem'Hadar?  Vorta?  I know that the Cardassians are space Nazis and the Bajewans are their victims.

#26 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

My parents used to watch Star Trek a lot when I was very young. Seeing as I didn't understand it, it bored me stiff and I would moan and complain every time they turned it on. Ever since then I've always had a sour thought of Star Trek.

#27 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -

DS9 is a ship now?  :roll:

#28 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -

1337043677145.jpg

If that's how they wanted to compare the series...(and the Imperium haven't got sh!t on some other spacefaring races...)

Star Trek has many merits that Star Wars does not. Space Opera is a legitimate form of soft science fiction, but I don't really find them so comparable. 

Saturos3091

What are those green things?

#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The Wrath of Khan mops the floor with almost all the Star Wars films. But yeah, lol @ comparing the two.
#30 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi. And Star Trek is like generic fantasy universe in space. You have your Vulcans which are space elves, they're wise and live forever and have self control, and mystical powers, and pointy ears. Romulan are dark elves. Klingon or orcs, brute and ugly. And humans are humans, short lives that lead to unpredictable behavior, naive in the world, have tremendous weakness, physically and in spirit.hartsickdiscipl

Where do all the other races fit in?  Andorians?  Tellarites?  Jem'Hadar?  Vorta?  I know that the Cardassians are space Nazis and the Bajewans are their victims.

the show has been on for years they gotta come up with new stuff my favorite would be when they found God
#31 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi. And Star Trek is like generic fantasy universe in space. You have your Vulcans which are space elves, they're wise and live forever and have self control, and mystical powers, and pointy ears. Romulan are dark elves. Klingon or orcs, brute and ugly. And humans are humans, short lives that lead to unpredictable behavior, naive in the world, have tremendous weakness, physically and in spirit.lamprey263

the show has been on for years they gotta come up with new stuff my favorite would be when they found God

That was either the worst or second worst Star Trek movie.  Hilarious though.  

#32 Posted by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi. And Star Trek is like generic fantasy universe in space. You have your Vulcans which are space elves, they're wise and live forever and have self control, and mystical powers, and pointy ears. Romulan are dark elves. Klingon or orcs, brute and ugly. And humans are humans, short lives that lead to unpredictable behavior, naive in the world, have tremendous weakness, physically and in spirit.hartsickdiscipl

Where do all the other races fit in? Andorians? Tellarites? Jem'Hadar? Vorta? I know that the Cardassians are space Nazis and the Bajewans are their victims.

Bajorans?

#33 Posted by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

The Wrath of Khan mops the floor with almost all the Star Wars films. But yeah, lol @ comparing the two.Zeviander

I prefer Star Trek overall......but Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are superior to any Star Trek MOVIE. Now there are double-part Star Trek episodes on par with the best of Star Wars.

#34 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

Hexagon_777

The large one is a battleship of the Imperium of Man (40k). They can be any color, really. The necron Cairn-Class tomb ships mop the floor with them and are much larger, though.

Here's a pretty cool, detailed black and white scan of an imperial ship. 

#35 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]trekkies mad that star wars is betterBuckhannah
warsies are mad that they still have to pretend the prequels didn't all suck.

Or return of the Jedi

Yeah I went there

#36 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

But Star Trek is not about the weapons or heroes and villians though. 

#37 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
Star Trek is probably a better franchise overall, but Star Wars has a more interesting universe. The Utopian vision of humanity's future has always struck me as silly and contrived. Roddenberry's world lacked something very fundamental IMO.
#38 Posted by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

I find it hilarious and actually sad/pathetic when people don't realize Star Wars and Star Trek are sci fi, they've both won multiple sci fi awards. A complete idiot can tell you they're both sci fi, so whoever says they aren't are below idiot status.

#39 Posted by KHAndAnime (13299 posts) -
Star Trek is probably a better franchise overall, but Star Wars has a more interesting universe. The Utopian vision of humanity's future has always struck me as silly and contrived. Roddenberry's world lacked something very fundamental IMO.Rhazakna
Hardly a utopian future, but I actually find the aspect of humanity transcending their weaknesses to be quite intriguing.
#40 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

Saturos3091

The large one is a battleship of the Imperium of Man (40k). They can be any color, really. The necron Cairn-Class tomb ships mop the floor with them and are much larger, though.

Here's a pretty cool, detailed black and white scan of an imperial ship. 

Ahhh, thank you. Cool! Have a picture of the other one too? :P

#41 Posted by themajormayor (25677 posts) -
Both are garbage
#42 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

I like both.