Obama To Keep 9,800 Troops in Afghanistan.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Obama To Keep 9,800 Troops in Afghanistan

I will give my thoughts later. What you think about keeping troops in Afghanistan until 2016 OT?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

democrat response: this is a good thing

republican response: this is a bad thing

tea party response: obama is a kenyan muslim

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Peace Prize Prez

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

How long do we honestly need to be in a country before we declare it safe to leave? Given that we have been over there well over a decade and still feel we can't leave as of yet I'm gonna say that this war (both wars really) were badly mishandled.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

It's the next president's problem now.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

At this point, I don't think our troops will ever leave. Obama pretty much went back on everything he promised to do in his presidency.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

So, some people think 2016 will be a good time to finally leave? There will never be a good time to leave but we have to eventually.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serraph105
@jasean79 said:

At this point, I don't think our troops will ever leave. Obama pretty much went back on everything he promised to do in his presidency.

While I'm certainly willing to criticize the president where it's due (this is one of them imo) this is still nowhere near a fair assesment of his promises as a whole.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

It would make it much easier for the rest of the army to get back in case oil were to be discovered in the future.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

It's the next president's problem now.

Funny how that works

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Master_Live

@Serraph105 said:
@jasean79 said:

While I'm certainly willing to criticize the president where it's due (this is one of them imo) this is still nowhere near a fair assesment of his promises as a whole.

Misleading, some of those "kept" promises are just gimmies. A weighted exercise would be better. OT, how much you say all the bitching Obama did during the campaign and then not closing Guantanamo should be counted against him? Or you can keep your doctor period. You can keep your plan period. Cap and Trade. You get my drift.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105

@Master_Live said:

@Serraph105 said:
@jasean79 said:

Misleading, some of those "kept" promises are just gimmies. A weighted exercise would be better. OT, how much you say all the bitching Obama did during the campaign and then not closing Guantanamo should be counted against him? Or you can keep your doctor period. You can keep your plan period. Cap and Trade. You get my drift.

Oh I get that what matters to people the most is how they are truly going to assess a president, but jasean's assertion was that Obama went back on nearly everything he promised to do. Other than the topic at hand that's a statement directly relating to the number of promises kept vs those broken. Given the limitations of the presidency you can't really criticize Obama simply by the numbers since they remain quite above average.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13  Edited By Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the Americans can stay in Afghanistan for another decade and I doubt it would make a difference, the very nature of Afghanistan , being split along ethnic and tribal lines (which in alot of cases don't like each other very much) means the country is nearly impossible to keep stable, I have a feeling someone like Karzai has no more legitimacy in that country than the Taliban did, he just appeals to a different set of tribes or groups , so to speak.

Afghanistan suffers from just about every problem that plagues most Middle Eastern countries (if one can call Afghanistan part of the Middle East) , tribalism , ethnic division and conflict, religious discord and outside interference from both its neighbors and outside powers and the result is a mess, there are really only 2 ways to stabilize it, either put in a Saddam or Gadaffi style dictator who rules by fear , or break the country up according to ethnic lines. if the Americans aren't willing to do either, there is no point in staying, just like if a doctor does not want to administer the correct medicine to his patients, there is no point in even seeing them.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

if it smells like imperialism, looks like imperialism, and acts like imperialism...........it is not imperialism

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Darkman2007 said:

the Americans can stay in Afghanistan for another decade and I doubt it would make a difference, the very nature of Afghanistan , being split along ethnic and tribal lines (which in alot of cases don't like each other very much) means the country is nearly impossible to keep stable, I have a feeling someone like Karzai has no more legitimacy in that country than the Taliban did, he just appeals to a different set of tribes or groups , so to speak.

Afghanistan suffers from just about every problem that plagues most Middle Eastern countries (if one can call Afghanistan part of the Middle East) , tribalism , ethnic division and conflict, religious discord and outside interference from both its neighbors and outside powers and the result is a mess, there are really only 2 ways to stabilize it, either put in a Saddam or Gadaffi style dictator who rules by fear , or break the country up according to ethnic lines. if the Americans aren't willing to do either, there is no point in staying, just like if a doctor does not want to administer the correct medicine to his patients, there is no point in even seeing them.

I don't think America had much interest in stabilizing the Middle East, after all we've been pumping money into their various conflicts for years. I think it's more about justifying a reason to install democracy and bring us a step closers towards globalization.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

@BossPerson said:

if it smells like imperialism, looks like imperialism, and acts like imperialism...........it is not imperialism

I don't think the Americans are doing this out of bad motives necessarily, I think its because they know that if they leave, it will be no different than Vietnam or Iraq, a waste of military and human resources that didn't amount to much, even if the reason for it were justified (and personally I think there was certainly some justification for it, even if I don't think they understood the country they were invading)

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

@Darkman2007 said:

@BossPerson said:

I don't think the Americans are doing this out of bad motives necessarily, I think its because they know that if they leave, it will be no different than Vietnam or Iraq, a waste of military and human resources that didn't amount to much, even if the reason for it were justified (and personally I think there was certainly some justification for it, even if I don't think they understood the country they were invading)

neither do I. They're just doing this because they don't want Afghanistan to look like the waste of money that it was the moment it falls apart one they leave.

But when you have thousands of troops in another country, you maintain more or less "control" over that country, even if than control is weak or doesnt extend to every aspect of life there.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

@BossPerson said:

@Darkman2007 said:

@BossPerson said:

neither do I. They're just doing this because they don't want Afghanistan to look like the waste of money that it was the moment it falls apart one they leave.

But when you have thousands of troops in another country, you maintain more or less "control" over that country, even if than control is weak or doesnt extend to every aspect of life there.

well , to be honest nobody really controls Afghanistan , just like nobody really controls Yemen or Libya

as I mentioned in my previous post there are really only 2 things the Americans can do , otherwise they might as well pack up, because indeed its not good PR for them.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I don't follow the news or political things happening in the world, but I sorta expected this to happen.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21  Edited By Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Hazard pay here we come.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

And the birds go tweet.

I came home to releases from Graham that it's a disgrace that we aren't staying there until "the mission is accomplished."

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Why would anyone trust anything Obama says at this point?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Weird how the name Obama is so similar to Osama, and plus he's a black man and he still became president, wow the other candidates must have been bad. Just sayin

EDIT: I don't mean that in a racist way I just mean there's still a lot of racism about, racial stereo typing, an racial inequality in America, surprised me when he won the presidency.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

From an international point of view I don't think he really has a choice. The US has been getting a lot of flack lately with their shady doings (Guantanamo, PRISM, War on Iraq, etc...), and while it may be very unpopular in the US for troops to remain in Afghanistan, I believe it would even look worse if they just bomb a nation to ruins and leave it in anarchy. I'm not saying that Afghanistan was paradise before the US came in or anything, but now with all the rampant and abundant suicide bombings that started after the US invasion, I can't help but feel that the US is responsible to some degree for the general lack of security the people in Afghanistan are suffering. Pretty much its a case of they broke it, so now they need to try to fix it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#26 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I bet most of them are white as well... the racist son of a gun.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

America never truely leaves any place they land on.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins said:

And the birds go tweet.

I came home to releases from Graham that it's a disgrace that we aren't staying there until "the mission is accomplished."

except no one has really been able to say what accomplished means anymore

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I'm conflicted about this. On the one hand in the last four or five years I have become less optimistic about Afghanistan. The "blue on green" incidents, where Afghan police and military members that were being trained by NATO and U.S. forces have attacked those same U.S. and NATO forces has left a sour taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, I think that if the U.S. troops withdraw, then there is a strong possibility of the Taliban regaining power in much of the country and allowing their territory to become a safe haven for Al Qaeda. But perhaps Afghanistan will not matter much in this regard anyway, it seems Al Qaeda and its affiliates and allies already have plenty of strongholds: Yemen, parts of Pakistan, Libya, Mali, parts of Iraq, Syria.

Leaving the 9,800 troops for now is probably a wise move.

I think Iraq was a more winnable conflict, the terrain was more favorable and it wasn't as tribal. If we had kept a residual force in Iraq maybe we would've been able to stop Al Qaeda in Iraq from reconstituting and taking advantage of the Syrian civil war, and perhaps maybe we could've exerted more influence on that civil war by intercepting Iranian weapons and personnel heading for Syria.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darkman2007

@whipassmt said:

I'm conflicted about this. On the one hand in the last four or five years I have become less optimistic about Afghanistan. The "blue on green" incidents, where Afghan police and military members that were being trained by NATO and U.S. forces have attacked those same U.S. and NATO forces has left a sour taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, I think that if the U.S. troops withdraw, then there is a strong possibility of the Taliban regaining power in much of the country and allowing their territory to become a safe haven for Al Qaeda. But perhaps Afghanistan will not matter much in this regard anyway, it seems Al Qaeda and its affiliates and allies already have plenty of strongholds: Yemen, parts of Pakistan, Libya, Mali, parts of Iraq, Syria.

Leaving the 9,800 troops for now is probably a wise move.

I think Iraq was a more winnable conflict, the terrain was more favorable and it wasn't as tribal. If we had kept a residual force in Iraq maybe we would've been able to stop Al Qaeda in Iraq from reconstituting and taking advantage of the Syrian civil war, and perhaps maybe we could've exerted more influence on that civil war by intercepting Iranian weapons and personnel heading for Syria.

Iraq is a very tribal country, can't remember the exact number of tribes in Iraq but it was alot, not to mention the ethnic and religious problems in that country, although in Iraq a big problem was that the majority of Arabs there were Shia, so it was easy for the Iranians to more or less take the country and make the lives of the Americans rather difficult.

there are only a few countries in the region that aren't really tribal , Egypt would be one due to the urbanization that took place in that country, due in part to the Aswan dam breaking up the traditional farming in some rural areas.

in regards to Afghanistan , no amount of troops can really stabilize the country unless one looks at the causes of instability in that country.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

How long do we honestly need to be in a country before we declare it safe to leave? Given that we have been over there well over a decade and still feel we can't leave as of yet I'm gonna say that this war (both wars really) were badly mishandled.

Considering we are still in Germany, Japan, and South Korea I'd say 100 years is a pretty good measurement of time for military forces in a particular country. On a serious note, pulling the major forces out and still leaving a token force behind is a good decision on behalf of the White House.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@comp_atkins said:

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins said:

And the birds go tweet.

except no one has really been able to say what accomplished means anymore

Yes, how convenient...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105

@ferrari2001 said:

@Serraph105 said:

Considering we are still in Germany, Japan, and South Korea I'd say 100 years is a pretty good measurement of time for military forces in a particular country. On a serious note, pulling the major forces out and still leaving a token force behind is a good decision on behalf of the White House.

yeah good point, I just don't know what we expect to accomplish in a place like Afghanistan, are we going to forever keep the pretend peace? We certainly don't have high tensions with Japan or Germany, but perhaps we are accomplishing something non-war related over there.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#34  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@GazaAli said:

It would make it much easier for the rest of the army to get back in case oil were to be discovered in the future.

Yea because we still have all the oil we stole from Iraq to use..............oh wait.

Also funny is tools like you would never admit that we are not profiting at all from the contracts China is getting for Afg's rich mineral deposits. If we went there to conquer and exploit resources why did we not force them to give us the contracts? Fucking American hating tools on this forum, such simpletons. We invaded Afg for one reason, 9/11 was orchestrated from there as a Taliban led government providing safe haven to Al Qaeda. Just stfu with your bs already.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Master_Live

Meh, not much to talk about. The public is tire, I'm tired, of all the fighting. Sadly it looks like all the blood and treasure was all for naught, and Obama wants to end the war by 2016, in part, for political reasons. And that is that.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli

@vfibsux said:

@GazaAli said:

Yea because we still have all the oil we stole from Iraq to use..............oh wait.

Also funny is tools like you would never admit that we are not profiting at all from the contracts China is getting for Afg's rich mineral deposits. If we went there to conquer and exploit resources why did we not force them to give us the contracts? Fucking American hating tools on this forum, such simpletons. We invaded Afg for one reason, 9/11 was orchestrated from there as a Taliban led government providing safe haven to Al Qaeda. Just stfu with your bs already.

It was largely meant as a joke tough murican, settle down.

In essence, Obama and his administration decided to leave behind American forces in Afghanistan because they know that the place is as unstable as it gets and they're to blame for that to an extent at least. They know that if they just pack up and leave at this point all hell will break loose in there and people around the world, specially Americans, will begin to wonder if all the resources that were poured into that war and the staggering death toll turned out to be all for nothing. In short Obama wants to save face and to at least try to maintain the current shitty status quo in there, with the fallacious promise that things will eventually get better.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@GazaAli said:

@vfibsux said:

@GazaAli said:

In essence, Obama and his administration decided to leave behind American forces in Afghanistan because they know that the place is as unstable as it gets and they're to blame for that to an extent at least. They know that if they just pack up and leave at this point all hell will break loose in there and people around the world, specially Americans, will begin to wonder if all the resources that were poured into that war and the staggering death toll turned out to be all for nothing. In short Obama wants to save face and to at least try to maintain the current shitty status quo in there, with the fallacious promise that things will eventually get better.

I think you have the reason correct (instability), but I don't think it's about saving face - I think it's about Pakistan and their nukes falling into terrorist hands.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

They just picking up the empty crisp packets and beer cans that got left over.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GazaAli

@mattbbpl said:

@GazaAli said:

@vfibsux said:

@GazaAli said:

I think you have the reason correct (instability), but I don't think it's about saving face - I think it's about Pakistan and their nukes falling into terrorist hands.

Hmm yes you're right. It's not really in the U.S' best interest to have instability proliferate and extend in that region. But I still think that it would undermine the ability of the U.S to wage any wars in the future if the American public reaches the conclusion that Afghanistan turned out to be yet another Vietnam. I mean in recent history, the U.S was involved in a number of wars that turned out to be a disaster more or less. Think Vietnam, Cuba, Somalia, Iraq and now Afghanistan. I think it has become exceedingly hard to sell the idea of a war to the American electorate.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mattbbpl

@GazaAli said:

Hmm yes you're right. It's not really in the U.S' best interest to have instability proliferate and extend in that region. But I still think that it would undermine the ability of the U.S to wage any wars in the future if the American public reaches the conclusion that Afghanistan turned out to be yet another Vietnam. I mean in recent history, the U.S was involved in a number of wars that turned out to be a disaster more or less. Think Vietnam, Cuba, Somalia, Iraq and now Afghanistan. I think it has become exceedingly hard to sell the idea of a war to the American electorate.

Agreed. But shouldn't that be the case? Iraq was an odd situation in which it's still difficult to rationalize why it started in the first place, and the Afghan war was probably ill suited to a true war considering the enemy isn't a defined state but a mobile, hidden, and amorphous target. Some increased pragmatism in starting wars is probably warranted.

I think for something like an attack on us or our allies (in which it's a slam dunk case of defense), the support will be there. Beyond that, there may be less chest beating and more caution.