Obama passes 23 executive orders on Gun control; Republicans over-react.

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Republicans have consistently painted Presidential Executive orders as tyrannical laws outside the bounds of Congress but in reality he can only pass directives into how the federal agencies operate. i.e. Obama could re-schedule Marijuana on the FDA scale or not fund prosecutions in federal court but he can't legalize it.

So today he passed 23 Executive orders on gun control that Conservative opponents of Obama have called him a dictator, a tyrant, imperial, for proposing executive actions he believes would help prevent gun violence. But all these "orders" hardly change anything monumental on Guns and really affect the bureaucracy side of background checks.

While I'm personally against gun control at a federal level immediately after a tragedy, a lot of these executive orders are just plain common sense. Unfortunately they don't seem to do a whole lot in preventing gun tragedies but they're certainly not the tyrannical crusade that republicans are painting.

Here's a quick summary of them, Actual orders can be read: here.

1. Make federal info easier to obtain for background checks
2. Address Health insurance data that prevents info from being available in background checks
3. Give incentives for states that share background info
4. Direct Attorney General to double check individuals that are banned from owning guns.
5. "Propose" a law for cops to run background checks on people returning guns.
6. Publish an ATF letter for how to run background checks.
7. Launch a responsible gun ownership Campaign
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and safes.
9. Require Federal law enforcement (FBI, CIA, etc) to trace guns recovered.
10. Require Release of DOJ reports on lost/stolen guns to law enforcement
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders and school officials with training for gun situations
13. Maximize eforcement efforts to prevent gun violence (pretty vague)
14. Direct CDC on gun research
15. Promote new gun safety technologies and challenge private sector.
16. Clarify that obamacare doesn't prohibit doctors from asking patients about their guns.
17. Clarify that No federal law prevents doctors from reporting violence to law enforcment.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop emergency response plans for schools and churches in shootouts.
20. Clarify mental health services provided under Medicaid.
21. Finalize Obamacare regulations for mental health care services
22. Commit to finalizing mental health care regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Background checks? Research? Can we impeach this dictator already?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

In terms of laws on actual guns, it's just the laws CA already has. Nothing changes here (which is good because it's strict enough).

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Wait That is what people are getting so upset about?
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]Background checks? Research? Can we impeach this dictator already?LastDay-
lol, TC's signature is win.

:lol: TC's sig goes so well with this thread.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

Background checks? Research? Can we impeach this dictator already?UCF_Knight
seriously.. ridiculous! TYRAANY@!!!!

alex-jones.jpeg&w=600&h=280&zc=1

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Some of the vague statements there could use some clarifications on how exactly they're going to go about it. That said telling people to be more careful and reminding people of what the law says are pretty sensible and I feel people could do with a reminder on a few of those things. Also I told you guys to freaking wait before having a hissy fit.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
The NRA was right, it was proof that Obama is coming after your guns because he hadn't come after your guns yet.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]Background checks? Research? Can we impeach this dictator already?comp_atkins

Make sure you go to your local store and stock up on guns and ammunition! All of these executive orders not making it more difficult to purchase guns could take effect any time!

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Obama can't legalize something but he can direct the justice department not to enforce it? Nobody has a problem with that?
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]Background checks? Research? Can we impeach this dictator already?comp_atkins

alex-jones.jpeg&w=600&h=280&zc=1

1776 will occur again, aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

From what I can see, he's not that interested in actually getting assault weapons and high capacity magazines banned. He knows full well that legislation won't make it through the house and maybe even the senate.

I was getting kind of worried about what kind of EOs he was going to pass. Though logic dictated he wasn't going to be able to pass much. Still was a little worried.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Am I understanding number 5 correctly. If I find a gun and want to return it to the police I can get prosecuted if I'm an ex-criminal?
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Ofcourse he proposed that. He knows banning certain weapons and clips is a losing battle. I think people are upset at the clowns on here spewing false information and forcing their standards of living down their throats, overall than the bill itselfs. Enforce gun responsibility, and research social changes and patterns in society and veto everything else.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Am I understanding number 5 correctly. If I find a gun and want to return it to the police I can get prosecuted if I'm an ex-criminal?

As I said I think the more vague ones need a better explanation. However it's probably just a background check and if you do have a history of something they decide is relevant they would probably ask you more questions.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

From what I can see, he's not that interested in actually getting assault weapons and high capacity magazines banned. He knows full well that legislation won't make it through the house and maybe even the senate.

Wasdie
I'd say he'd love to do so if he could, but knows that it's a practical impossibility with the current makeup of Congress.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
This may surprise ot liberals, but I am fine with Obama on this. Nothing threatening here folks.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nocoolnamejim

I'd say he'd love to do so if he could, but knows that it's a practical impossibility with the current makeup of Congress.

Actually I don't think he cares one bit. Biden on the other hand...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

ron-paul.gif.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Actually I don't think he cares one bit. Biden on the other hand...

^This. Also, those bans are pretty useless (and unnecessary), to be honest. It's more of a symbolic thing than anything else.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
I may have to tune into Fox for funsies.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ace6301

Aljosa23
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

ron-paul.gif.

Aljosa23

doom%20paul%201.png

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Ace6301

If you add a few more colors this could pertain to gay marriage.
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

While I'm personally against gun control at a federal level immediately after a tragedy, a lot of these executive orders are just plain common sense. Unfortunately they don't seem to do a whole lot in preventing gun tragedies but they're certainly not the tyrannical crusade that republicans are painting.

Blue-Sky

That's just frustrating right there. All of these EO's are things that should have already been set in place. It's just sad it takes tragedyafter tragedy to bring common sense into action. I mean WTF?

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
Seems pretty fair, just don't mess w/ my 2nd amendment because of 2 psycho douchebags that had to shoot up places last year. I have a better chance of getting killed by so many other things, god damn fear culture!
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I'm Ok wuth these.

Its good to see Obama does know his limits.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -RocBoys9489-

I'm Ok wuth these.

Its goo to see Obama does know his limits.

dercoo
Now if only he can stop being a hypocrite and quit drone striking the **** outta children half way across the world
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I'm sure that this is just to pacify the masses who are most upset about the shooting, so that the aministration can look like it's doing something, without actually doing something. And without pissing off most gun owners.

I'm sure that Obama would rather be deaing with that other fun situation, you know, the debt ceiling and sequester.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -RocBoys9489-

I'm sure that this is just to pacify the masses who are most upset about the shooting, so that the aministration can look like it's doing something, without actually doing something. And without pissing off most gun owners.

I'm sure that Obama would rather be deaing with that other fun situation, you know, the debt ceiling and sequester.

jimkabrhel
Oh, you mean the ACTUAL important stuff the media should be covering. ;)
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JML897

Seems pretty fair, just don't mess w/ my 2nd amendment because of 2 psycho douchebags that had to shoot up places last year. I have a better chance of getting killed by so many other things, god damn fear culture!-RocBoys9489-

2? In what country?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

jimkabrhel
Hah. How much has the media been covering the idea of a one trillion dollar coin over there? Read a few articles about it on zerohedge. Such silliness.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -RocBoys9489-

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Seems pretty fair, just don't mess w/ my 2nd amendment because of 2 psycho douchebags that had to shoot up places last year. I have a better chance of getting killed by so many other things, god damn fear culture!JML897

2? In what country?

James Holmes and w/ever the Sandy guy's name is. Honestly, if Obama were smart, he would propose legislation where it makes it illegal for the media to say the name/show pics of whoever committed the shootings. Fame is what drives these guys, it worked when TV stopped showing streakers at sports games. The # of cases went way down.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

MrPraline
Hah. How much has the media been covering the idea of a one trillion dollar coin over there? Read a few articles about it on zerohedge. Such silliness.

Obama ruled out that idea a couple of days ago. Said there was "no magic button solution" or something like that and then insisted that Congress raise the debt ceiling because "the United States is not a deadbeat nation" and "the full faith and credit of the United States is not a bargaining chip to achieve political aims" and "we pay our bills that we have already racked up".
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JML897

Honestly, if Obama were smart, he would propose legislation where it makes it illegal for the media to say the name/show pics of whoever committed the shootings. -RocBoys9489-

And infringe on their first amendment rights? You're all about the second amendment but not the first one huh?

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Seems pretty fair, just don't mess w/ my 2nd amendment because of 2 psycho douchebags that had to shoot up places last year. I have a better chance of getting killed by so many other things, god damn fear culture!-RocBoys9489-

2? In what country?

James Holmes and w/ever the Sandy guy's name is. Honestly, if Obama were smart, he would propose legislation where it makes it illegal for the media to say the name/show pics of whoever committed the shootings. Fame is what drives these guys, it worked when TV stopped showing streakers at sports games. The # of cases went way down.

Maybe, but I'm thinking that what motivates people to go streaking and what motivates them to go shoot up their school may be a touch different.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Republicans have consistently painted Presidential Executive orders as tyrannical laws outside the bounds of Congress but in reality he can only pass directives into how the federal agencies operate. i.e. Obama could re-schedule Marijuana on the FDA scale or not fund prosecutions in federal court but he can't legalize it.

So today he passed 23 Executive orders on gun control that Conservative opponents of Obama have called him a dictator, a tyrant, imperial, for proposing executive actions he believes would help prevent gun violence. But all these "orders" hardly change anything monumental on Guns and really affect the bureaucracy side of background checks.

2. Address Health insurance data that prevents info from being available in background checks
4. Direct Attorney General to double check individuals that are banned from owning guns.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders and school officials with training for gun situations
16. Clarify that obamacare doesn't prohibit doctors from asking patients about their guns.
17. Clarify that No federal law prevents doctors from reporting violence to law enforcment.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Blue-Sky

I don't get it. Those things all seem... positive.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

nocoolnamejim

Obama ruled out that idea a couple of days ago. Said there was "no magic button solution" or something like that and then insisted that Congress raise the debt ceiling because "the United States is not a deadbeat nation" and "the full faith and credit of the United States is not a bargaining chip to achieve political aims" and "we pay our bills that we have already racked up".

Thanks. Have to agree with Obama on that one (the trillion dollar coin).
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Seems pretty fair, just don't mess w/ my 2nd amendment because of 2 psycho douchebags that had to shoot up places last year. I have a better chance of getting killed by so many other things, god damn fear culture!-RocBoys9489-

2? In what country?

Fame might have been an influnece in the James Holmes situation, but I'm pretty sure the other guy was just focused on taking as many people with him as he could. Kinda hard to enjoy being famous when you put a bullet in your brain.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -RocBoys9489-

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Honestly, if Obama were smart, he would propose legislation where it makes it illegal for the media to say the name/show pics of whoever committed the shootings. JML897

And infringe on their first amendment rights? You're all about the second amendment but not the first one huh?

Ehhhh it's more of a gray area and not so black and white. The media still can't say WHATEVER they want.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Leejjohno

I don't get it. Those things all seem... positive.

It's a leftist plot. Don't let it fool you. Slippery slope to tyranny. This is just to soften up resistance to take away your 2nd Amendment Rights, which Obama is definitely going to do sometime in his 3rd term.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -RocBoys9489-

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="JML897"]

2? In what country?

Yusuke420

Fame might have been an influnece in the James Holmes situation, but I'm pretty sure the other guy was just focused on taking as many people with him as he could. Kinda hard to enjoy being famous when you put a bullet in your brain.

Perhaps, but we'll never know. We can't interview the guy obviously lol
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Leader of the house makes decision, opposition disagrees.

Oh my days!!!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I'm waiting for a GOP member of Congress to get so opposed to gun control that they declare that the Sandy Hook massacre was an Obama conspiracy to get rid of guns, I mean the Operation Fast and Furious lead to the same thing, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrPraline
I'm waiting for a GOP member of Congress to get so opposed to gun control that they declare that the Sandy Hook massacre was an Obama conspiracy to get rid of guns, I mean the Operation Fast and Furious lead to the same thing, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.lamprey263
Obeyme is most likely capable of it. Like F&F. Not convinced Sandy Hook was a false flag, though. There's still random attacks and inexplicable events. One danger of being more open to alternative theories is that everything could eventually seem as being a set up.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -RocBoys9489-
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]I'm waiting for a GOP member of Congress to get so opposed to gun control that they declare that the Sandy Hook massacre was an Obama conspiracy to get rid of guns, I mean the Operation Fast and Furious lead to the same thing, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.MrPraline
Obeyme is most likely capable of it. Like F&F. Not convinced Sandy Hook was a false flag, though. There's still random attacks and inexplicable events. One danger of being more open to alternative theories is that everything could eventually seem as being a set up.

:lol: You guys cwack me up
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]I'm waiting for a GOP member of Congress to get so opposed to gun control that they declare that the Sandy Hook massacre was an Obama conspiracy to get rid of guns, I mean the Operation Fast and Furious lead to the same thing, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.-RocBoys9489-

:lol: You guys cwack me up

To be honest, one thing that really bothers me about Sandy Hook (and the Sikh Temple thing too) is the reported on second shooter that always seems to disappear from the news after a few hours. Who knows though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

To be honest, one thing that really bothers me about Sandy Hook (and the Sikh Temple thing too) is the reported on second shooter that always seems to disappear from the news after a few hours. Who knows though.MrPraline
Probably because there is no second shooter. In chaotic events like that eye witness reports aren't always accurate, even more so in the Aurora theatre shooting where it's a dark movie theatre with the patrons in disguises.