Obama frustated with frequent school shootings in US

• 138 results
#1 Edited by indzman (16956 posts) -

During a live Tumblr forum at the White House, President Obama expressed his frustration over the frequent school shootings in America. 'We're the only developed country on Earth where this happens,' he said. 'And it happens now once a week. And it's a one-day story. There's no place else like this.'

ARTICLE

What do you think Obama going to do on this issue ? Make gun law more strict in US ?

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14049 posts) -

I'm sure he gets frustrated a lot by the limits the Constitution places on him, it must be such a miserable existence.

#3 Posted by alim298 (1148 posts) -

The man was and still is a visionary.

#4 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

I'm sure he gets frustrated a lot by the limits the Constitution places on him, it must be such a miserable existence.

LOL

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

I like Obama. He's black. We don't get many black presidents.

#6 Posted by Korvus (2959 posts) -

Must be really sad for a President to be forced to admit all of this about his own country. I really have no opinion about US politicians but reading that article made me feel bad for the guy =/

#7 Posted by Kevlar101 (6009 posts) -

I don't understand those who say that Obama needs to do something about the violence in the USA, and yet, oppose his gun restrictions. What the hell other option does he have?

#8 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

This is the mentality of most of his supporters. Hence, why he was elected a second term.

#9 Edited by toast_burner (21344 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

I don't understand those who say that Obama needs to do something about the violence in the USA, and yet, oppose his gun restrictions. What the hell other option does he have?

He should end all violence while not limiting any rights to own guns or other tools of violence. It's pretty simple.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

This is the mentality of most of his supporters. Hence, why he was elected a second term.

You guys are lucky. I'm front Britain. it's upper class Eton educated white people from the bullington club who have never lived a days worth of an average joes life, yet see fit to dictate it. Most of British politics is earned through social entitlement.

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

You guys are lucky. I'm front Britain. it's upper class Eton educated white people from the bullington club who have never lived a days worth of an average joes life, yet see fit to dictate it. Most of British politics is earned through social entitlement.

I was being sarcastic! And I certainly didn't mean it in a positive light. Obama bares similar traits to this upper class you talk about. He too never worked a real job in his life, yet sees fit to dictate. The color of his skin has little to do with how he operates as a politician.

#12 Posted by evildead6789 (7282 posts) -

Americans are dumb asses

#13 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Americans are dumb asses

Takes one to know one.

#14 Posted by evildead6789 (7282 posts) -

Americans are dumb asses

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

Americans are dumb asses

Takes one to know one.

I'm european

#15 Posted by Korvus (2959 posts) -
#16 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@korvus said:

@evildead6789: I think he meant dumb asses, not Americans =)

Which serves to prove my point even more! lmao!

#17 Edited by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Takes one to know one.

I'm european

lol

#18 Posted by indzman (16956 posts) -
#19 Posted by evildead6789 (7282 posts) -

@indzman said:

@evildead6789 said:

Americans are dumb asses

oooh, thats cold =P

No your country is cold and I'm not talking about the weather.

If you only knew the bliss of a peacefull society

#20 Edited by joehult (361 posts) -

Right to bear arms is every Americans right, and over 50% of those that vote, support it. So he needs to move on to the next issue, or his gun control buddies in congress will get slaughtered in November, just like Clinton in '94. They will never win on this issue. You have union workers supporting republicans solely because of this issue.

#21 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -

those that criticize him believe the solution is give everybody guns

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

Then do something about it. Put more funding into the detection and prevention of mental illness.

#23 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17380 posts) -
#24 Posted by pyro1245 (444 posts) -

Yeah... he has to deal with many stupid people doing stupid things.

#25 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

lol any american who doesnt appreciate school shootings is a fucking communist

#26 Posted by comp_atkins (31213 posts) -

when robot citizens become mainstream, will they be allowed gun rights as well? i want to get out ahead of that debate and say they deserve the right to protect themselves as well.

#27 Posted by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

Americans are dumb asses

Weren't you the guy who was fine with 21 year olds dating 15 year old girls?

#28 Posted by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

And yet gun violence has gone down drastically over the past two decades...

#29 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

"live Tumblr forum at the White House"

That sounds like something that never should have happened

#30 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

Then do something about it. Put more funding into the detection and prevention of mental illness.

what like force people to get mental wellness checkups? if we cant even outlaw 120 round drum mags because its an invasion of personal freedom, how do you think people are gonna take being forced to visit a psychologist?

And in the case of sandy hook, adam lanzas mother was a crazy anti government conspiracy theorist stockpiling weapons for the apocalypse. While that seems crazy to sane people, to gun rights enthusiasts... thats considered ordinary common sense. So they would deny the fact she and her son were mentally ill in the first place and would oppose gun restrictions on them.

#31 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@indzman said:

@evildead6789 said:

Americans are dumb asses

oooh, thats cold =P

...and where do you live?

#32 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@evildead6789 said:

@indzman said:

@evildead6789 said:

Americans are dumb asses

oooh, thats cold =P

I believe he lives in 'Pleasantville'.

#33 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@lostrib said:

@evildead6789 said:

@indzman said:

@evildead6789 said:

Americans are dumb asses

oooh, thats cold =P

I believe he lives in 'Pleasantville'.

if you saw that movie, it was anything but peaceful

#34 Posted by PannicAtack (20937 posts) -

Hey, maybe if enough mass shootings happen, eventually one of them will be stopped by a Good Guy With a Gun(tm)!

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

what like force people to get mental wellness checkups? if we cant even outlaw 120 round drum mags because its an invasion of personal freedom, how do you think people are gonna take being forced to visit a psychologist?

And in the case of sandy hook, adam lanzas mother was a crazy anti government conspiracy theorist stockpiling weapons for the apocalypse. While that seems crazy to sane people, to gun rights enthusiasts... thats considered ordinary common sense. So they would deny the fact she and her son were mentally ill in the first place and would oppose gun restrictions on them.

Universal health care and proper detection protocols for young children seeing the doctor would make a hell of a difference (lack of empathy, history of torturing animals, etc).

And then there is the bullying issue.

It isn't the guns causing these shootings.

#36 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@BeardMaster said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Universal health care and proper detection protocols for young children seeing the doctor would make a hell of a difference (lack of empathy, history of torturing animals, etc).

And then there is the bullying issue.

It isn't the guns causing these shootings.

Ok and what if students and various school officials suspect a student of being mentally ill, but their batshit anti-government conspiracy theorist parents wont consent to a mental health evaluation?

You cant be diagnosed with a mental health issue if you refuse to be diagnosed with one. The state cant compel you until after you break the law.

All your neighbors, relatives, and friends can think you are insane... but unless you willingly subject yourself to a psychiatric evaluation, you cant be categorized as having a mental health issue. And thus crazy people will always have full access to firearms, and be fully capable of mass murder.

#37 Edited by Aljosa23 (24617 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Pretty sure the onus is on the parents to do that because the systems for people to get help are already in place. I know it's an easy talking point to just say "herp derp more mental illness funding" but it's more complicated than that since mental illnesses isn't the only cause for shootings. Mental illness is already stigmatized enough as it is and statistically, the mentally handicapped are victims of violence WAY more than they are prepetrators of it.

#38 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (374 posts) -

lol any american who doesnt appreciate school shootings is a fucking communist

The kids should at least have guns so they can shoot back.

#39 Posted by chaplainDMK (6680 posts) -
#41 Posted by airshocker (28843 posts) -

Too bad there hasn't been any real steps to crack down on illegal firearms or the criminals that use them. Just more background checks that only affect those of us who obtain our firearms legally.

#42 Posted by Aljosa23 (24617 posts) -

Too bad there hasn't been any real steps to crack down on illegal firearms or the criminals that use them. Just more background checks that only affect those of us who obtain our firearms legally.

But... James Holmes and Elliot Rodger bought their guns legally. How would you stop individuals like that buying guns without background checks?

#43 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@airshocker said:

yea dude where do you think criminals get guns? I can go buy 50 handguns tomorrow, and sell them to street gangs legally, as long as i dont inquire about their criminal history.

You really think criminals illegally import guns through russia and china?

#44 Posted by Master_Live (14049 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

But... James Holmes and Elliot Rodger bought their guns legally. How would you stop individuals like that buying guns without background checks?

Elliot Rodger passed a background check. 3 times.

#45 Posted by airshocker (28843 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

The background checks didn't stop them, Aljosa. And I didn't say anything about doing away with background checks, but I see no point in expanding them when the system needs to be fixed in the first place.

#46 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (374 posts) -

It's not about the guns, it's about the control.

#47 Posted by airshocker (28843 posts) -

@airshocker said:

yea dude where do you think criminals get guns? I can go buy 50 handguns tomorrow, and sell them to street gangs legally, as long as i dont inquire about their criminal history.

No, you can't. At most you can buy two or three before NICS starts denying your sales. More often than not you'll actually be put on a waiting list for about a week while NICS digs even deeper. You could do that. Then you'll go to jail. You can't willy-nilly sell a handgun in most states. The person you do a private sale to has to have a permit for said handgun, and you still have to follow the laws set by the local counties.

It would behoove you to do your due diligence before you sell somebody a handgun. Because if that person does use that gun in a crime and you didn't transfer that weapon over to them legally, you will be held responsible.

Criminals mostly get guns by stealing them. Not from legal owners selling them. I'm a cop, I know the statistics.

#48 Edited by Aljosa23 (24617 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

The background checks didn't stop them, Aljosa. And I didn't say anything about doing away with background checks, but I see no point in expanding them when the system needs to be fixed in the first place.

Okay I read it like you wanted to take out background checks, my mistake. But yes I do agree they need to be fixed, how that will happen I have no idea. It's the only issue that I think every single option should be discussed extensively to see what is the best course of action since no other country has a gun situation quite like the US.

#49 Posted by airshocker (28843 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Okay I read it like you wanted to take out background checks, my mistake. But yes I do agree they need to be fixed, how that will happen I have no idea. It's the only issue that I think every single option should be discussed extensively to see what is the best course of action since no other country has a gun situation quite like the US.

I'm all for fixing them. I won't support something that seeks to take away rights before exhausting all other options, though. There needs to be a way for NICS to identify people that have mental illness issues. I think it does a fairly good job at it, but the real problem is when these people's issues aren't reported. NICS doesn't call the relatives or friends of someone buying a gun. All it can do is search state and federal databases.

#50 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@BeardMaster said:

@airshocker said:

No, you can't. At most you can buy two or three before NICS starts denying your sales. More often than not you'll actually be put on a waiting list for about a week while NICS digs even deeper. You could do that. Then you'll go to jail. You can't willy-nilly sell a handgun in most states. The person you do a private sale to has to have a permit for said handgun, and you still have to follow the laws set by the local counties.

It would behoove you to do your due diligence before you sell somebody a handgun. Because if that person does use that gun in a crime and you didn't transfer that weapon over to them legally, you will be held responsible.

Criminals mostly get guns by stealing them. Not from legal owners selling them. I'm a cop, I know the statistics.

Well its true, in my state which is progressive we have closed alot of the loopholes. But in some states there are no limits on handgun purchases, and no regulations on private sales.

And if criminals get most of their guns by stealing them, whats the point of owning a gun? if criminals can just walk up in your joint and take yur guns? Whats all this talk of home defense, if criminals are just getting their guns from peoples homes by simply stealing them. Isnt that the point of owning guns, to prevent criminals from breaking into your house and stealing shit?

So you admit guns dont protect you from crime or theft? as a cop...