NYC public schools to close for two Muslim holidays

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

New York City Public Schools will get two new days off in 2015, as Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the city will incorporate the Muslim holidays of Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha into its academic calendar. It will be the largest US school district to do so.

good idea??

http://rt.com/usa/237737-nyc-schools-close-muslim-holidays/

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I'm sure the students are happy for more days off regardless of the reason.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GamingTitan

@fenriz275 said:

where do you draw the line though? Shouldn't ALL religious holidays for every religion be taken off then?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

Kids wont care one way or another. Only people it will effect are nut jobs scared of a Muslim invasion.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts

Fun fact: In my military days a lot of the lads suspiciously embraced Islam in order to take advantage of the tonne of religious holidays you get out of it.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

Welcome to Obama's America.

It's disgraceful for this once great country to turn it's back on the Christian Ideals it was founded upon and wholeheartedly embrace Hussein Obama's Muslim rule.

Look, a troll.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts
@plageus900 said:

@repub4liberty said:

It's disgraceful for this once great country to turn it's back on the Christian Ideals it was founded upon and wholeheartedly embrace Hussein Obama's Muslim rule.

Look, a troll.

Why is he a troll?

Dragoon4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

#9 Dragoon4life
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea. What makes those 2 holidays more important then others from the same or even different religions?

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamingTitan

@Dragoon4life said:

I don't think it's a good idea. What makes those 2 holidays more important then others from the same or even different religions?

yeah, my thinking was along those lines. How are you gunna cherry pick holidays. Equality is out the window at that point and that's a problem. I was trying to think of christian holidays that are taken off but I seriously couldn't think of any. National holidays are observed but that's not a religous thing. Xmas falls during Winter break but the break isn't done specifically to honor christmas. Am I missing something or are there none?

It seems like a slippery slope.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I fully support all efforts which could lead to me receiving additional days off of work :P

@GamingTitan said:

@fenriz275 said:

where do you draw the line though? Shouldn't ALL religious holidays for every religion be taken off then?

That's an interesting point. Where do you draw the line in a secular nation? Does it begin and end with Christian holidays? Do we exclude Christian holidays as well to avoid drawing an arbitrary line?

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I fully support all efforts which could lead to me receiving additional days off of work :P

@GamingTitan said:

@fenriz275 said:

That's an interesting point. Where do you draw the line in a secular nation? Does it begin and end with Christian holidays? Do we exclude Christian holidays as well to avoid drawing an arbitrary line?

Fairest way is to set threshold of a percentage of students enrolled are of a certain religion then there are days off for that religion's holidays or my personal preference no religious holidays of any kind.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I don't think any school kids are going to be complaining. It won't be changing teacher salaries. I imagine the day of school will likely be made up earlier or later in the year.

Still, I get the feeling to allow for this is largely based around the break school kids get for Christmas, which on its face is a religious holiday, and a national one, so this action seems largely to avoid a double standard, but I don't see it that way. I see Xmas more as a secular holiday in practice, and its roots come before Christianity. The idea of spending time with people important to you, exchanging gifts, having fun, religion doesn't own that.

If you ask me I'm against it though, mainly because doing so may open a can of worms, soon people will be asking for Satanic holidays and Spaghetti Monster holidays, even going to court for it.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@GamingTitan said:

@Dragoon4life said:

yeah, my thinking was along those lines. How are you gunna cherry pick holidays. Equality is out the window at that point and that's a problem. I was trying to think of christian holidays that are taken off but I seriously couldn't think of any. National holidays are observed but that's not a religous thing. Xmas falls during Winter break but the break isn't done specifically to honor christmas. Am I missing something or are there none?

I think we need to look at this from a different perspective. The issue stems more from how many students are generally absent those days. If a large percentage of students are gone those days, due to, in this case a religious event, it may be more beneficial to just make that a holiday and just add another school day to the year.

Regarding Christian holidays, Easter is generally given a day off if I remember right.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@D3nnyCrane said:

Fun fact: In my military days a lot of the lads suspiciously embraced Islam in order to take advantage of the tonne of religious holidays you get out of it.

I never got any holidays off in the military. -_-

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Private schools can choose, but the Constitution doesn't really allow this kind of thing. Eroding the wall between government and religion is at odds to the Constitution.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BSC14 said:
@plageus900 said:

@repub4liberty said:

Look, a troll.

Why is he a troll?

"hussein obama's muslim rule"

"tyrant administration"

"great countries Christian downfall"

"Grab your bible and pray. This was foretold in the great book and Jesus is coming to take back what is his"

I mean, he's either a troll or a nutjob who actually believes stuff from the Fox News talking heads

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

Wow, it's hard to believe that there are some people who still think that the President runs this country. Obama and the 43 other dudes are just puppets on a string.

Except for JFK, but we all know what happen to him when he tried to cut those strings.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 D3nnyCrane

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

Yah but I was in the NZ military. Your guys' military actually does stuff.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GamingTitan

@D3nnyCrane said:

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

NZ? Neutral Zone?...I think maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek. :)

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D3nnyCrane

@GamingTitan said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

New Zealand. Don't stress, we're left off about 7 out of 10 world maps and are only famous for our recent Orc infestation.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I... don't know? I mean...Okay? It's not a big deal to me. Don't know why people are happy/angry.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:

@GamingTitan said:

@Dragoon4life said:

I think we need to look at this from a different perspective. The issue stems more from how many students are generally absent those days. If a large percentage of students are gone those days, due to, in this case a religious event, it may be more beneficial to just make that a holiday and just add another school day to the year.

Regarding Christian holidays, Easter is generally given a day off if I remember right.

Easter is always on a Sunday. And Christmas is always during winter holiday.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

Easter is always on a Sunday. And Christmas is always during winter holiday.

Correct... Of course Easter is on a Sunday, but that's not the point I was going for. What I was going for is that school districts often give the Friday and/or Monday off because of Easter while naming it "Easter break" or "Spring break".

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Lets get rid off of all religious holidays officially sanctioned by the state. There. Done.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

@plageus900 said:

@repub4liberty said:

Look, a troll.

If you think it's coincidence that this tyrant administration's rise has directly influenced our great countries Christian downfall then the joke is on you.

Grab your bible and pray. This was foretold in the great book and Jesus is coming to take back what is his

Troll harder....

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@D3nnyCrane said:

@GamingTitan said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

New Zealand. Don't stress, we're left off about 7 out of 10 world maps and are only famous for our recent Orc infestation.

Our sheep shagging cousins across the ditch! :)

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

What? Theres no holiday for lunar new year, but this gets two? These holidays better allow smoking and drinking.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Respecting religious diversity in a religiously diverse nation is a step in the right direction. Picking and choosing which religions the First Amendment applies to would be unconstitutional. That is not to say that violence is ever justified and that is the truth whether it be for religious reasons or based on philosophical thought.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

Really? I got the 4th of July off.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#34 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Lets get rid off of all religious holidays officially sanctioned by the state. There. Done.

Exactly. Thomas Jefferson would be behind that. And so should all true Americans.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@BSC14: lol

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Personally, kids need to stay their asses in school. It's ridiculous how many days off kids in my area are getting that aren't even based on holidays.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

When was that during slavery? or when segregation was the norm when most people that where so racist that they didn't even respect black churches and blew them up?

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

No religious holidays should be acknowledged.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 D3nnyCrane

@THUMPTABLE said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

@GamingTitan said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

Our sheep shagging cousins across the ditch! :)

Our dollar is worth more than yours, I'll be the one making the disparaging comments here.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Well as an athiest is say it is a great idea because you show you have respect for muslim traditions by acknowledging it as a official holiday.

Respect is the first step to acceptance...

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@alchemist007 said:

This is a disgrace to George Washington and everything he stood for, the people must object.

How come?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@mjorh: Don't try to talk to the redneck

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@airshocker said:

@D3nnyCrane said:

Your unit never took "training holidays" ??

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Pain in the arse for any non-muslim parents now having to pay somebody to care for their children while they're at work.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

@repub4liberty: Hmmm. The constitution, the document upon which our nation was founded, contains 4,543 words, none of which are Jesus, Christianity, or the bible. Would you mind explaining how you believe this nation was built upon Christian values?

Also, which part of the bible directly references the state of New York allowing Muslim holidays as part of the educational school system's holiday and the punishment we are to receive from Jesus because of it?

Oh, and in your response, please spare me from your stock propagandic statements.

jbc7343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jbc7343
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts

@repub4liberty: While Lincoln was a Republican, he didn't just issue the Emanciaption Proclamation because of the goodness of his heart. The blacks were recruited to fight with the North against the South. The United States were in a state of turmoil and war. The Emanciaption Proclamation was issued to keep the country from falling apart because the North and the black people were fighting for what's right.

I wonder how many people would still be racist if they knew Jesus wasn't white?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

Too much

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#50  Edited By BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

the terrorists have won apparently