North Korea flags nuke test, rockets aimed at "enemy" US

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -

North Korea said on Thursday it would carry out further rocket launches and a nuclear test that would target the United States, dramatically stepping up its threats against a country it called its "enemy".

The announcement by the country's top military body came a day after the United Nations Security Council agreed a US-backed resolution to censure and sanction the country for a rocket launch in December that breached UN rules.

"We are not disguising the fact that the various satellites and long-range rockets that we will fire and the high-level nuclear test we will carry out are targeted at the United States," North Korea's National Defence Commission said, according to state news agency KCNA.

North Korea is believed by South Korea and other observers to be "technically ready" for a third nuclear test, and the decision to go ahead rests with leader Kim Jong-un who pressed ahead with the December rocket launch in defiance of the UN sanctions.

The North was banned from developing missile and nuclear technology under sanctions dating from its 2006 and 2009 nuclear tests.

The concern now is that Pyongyang, whose only major diplomatic ally, China, endorsed the latest UN resolution, could undertake a third nuclear test using highly enriched uranium for the first time, opening a second path to a bomb.

Its previous tests have been viewed as limited successes and used plutonium, of which the North has limited stocks.

North Korea gave no time-frame for the coming test and often employs harsh rhetoric in response to UN and US actions.

Its long-range rockets are not seen as capable of reaching the United States mainland and it is not believed to have the technology to mount a nuclear warhead on a long-range missile.

"The UNSC (Security Council) resolution masterminded by the US has brought its hostile policy towards the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea (North Korea) to its most dangerous stage," the commission was quoted as saying.

Link

Err.. thoughts, OT?

#2 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -
kablamo!
#3 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

they can't do ****

#4 Posted by hummer700 (10154 posts) -
Not worried. America's military can dominate any country.
#5 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

They got me wetting my pants.

#6 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

UI55B.jpg

#7 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

UI55B.jpg

Blazerdt47

Yes I do

#8 Posted by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

The part of me that secretly hopes everything gets worse would like to see NK attack the USA.

Make it happen, Jesus.

#9 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

The part of me that secretly hopes everything gets worse would like to see NK attack the USA.

Make it happen, Jesus.

The__Kraken

I don't think some guys on rafts with flintlock pistols constitutes an "attack", though.

#10 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

It will be interesting to see how fast the US can squash that tiny country called North Korea.

#11 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

[QUOTE="The__Kraken"]

Make it happen, Jesus.

THE_DRUGGIE

I don't think some guys on rafts with flintlock pistols constitutes an "attack", though.

haha Kim Jong Un will come over on a raft waving a chicken leg at us.

#12 Posted by Aljosa23 (24620 posts) -

It will be interesting to see how fast the US can squash that tiny country called North Korea.

hoola

Yes, it's definitely interesting to see innocent people die who are already struggling enough. /sarcasm

#13 Posted by ristactionjakso (5666 posts) -

Red Dawn.

#14 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Aljosa23

Yes, it's definitely interesting to see innocent people die who are already struggling enough. /sarcasm

We've all seen how the US operates in foreign nations, there is nothing interesting about that. They'll destroy the government and in the process of doing so will end up killing many innocents as well. We all know it will happen. What is unknown, however, is how long it will take, and that is what I was referring to.

#15 Posted by indzman (16956 posts) -

North Korea said on Thursday it would carry out further rocket launches and a nuclear test that would target the United States, dramatically stepping up its threats against a country it called its "enemy".

The announcement by the country's top military body came a day after the United Nations Security Council agreed a US-backed resolution to censure and sanction the country for a rocket launch in December that breached UN rules.

"We are not disguising the fact that the various satellites and long-range rockets that we will fire and the high-level nuclear test we will carry out are targeted at the United States," North Korea's National Defence Commission said, according to state news agency KCNA.

North Korea is believed by South Korea and other observers to be "technically ready" for a third nuclear test, and the decision to go ahead rests with leader Kim Jong-un who pressed ahead with the December rocket launch in defiance of the UN sanctions.

The North was banned from developing missile and nuclear technology under sanctions dating from its 2006 and 2009 nuclear tests.

The concern now is that Pyongyang, whose only major diplomatic ally, China, endorsed the latest UN resolution, could undertake a third nuclear test using highly enriched uranium for the first time, opening a second path to a bomb.

Its previous tests have been viewed as limited successes and used plutonium, of which the North has limited stocks.

North Korea gave no time-frame for the coming test and often employs harsh rhetoric in response to UN and US actions.

Its long-range rockets are not seen as capable of reaching the United States mainland and it is not believed to have the technology to mount a nuclear warhead on a long-range missile.

"The UNSC (Security Council) resolution masterminded by the US has brought its hostile policy towards the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea (North Korea) to its most dangerous stage," the commission was quoted as saying. meconate

Link

Err.. thoughts, OT?

I wish a war breaks out and US vanquishes N.K once and for all.

#16 Posted by alim298 (1148 posts) -

I hate them

#17 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7297 posts) -

Toy_rocket_launcher_c.jpg

Their equipz I assume.

#18 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -

Toy_rocket_launcher_c.jpg

Their equipz I assume.

Bikouchu35
Dear God... we're done for.
#19 Posted by Hakumen21 (342 posts) -

If it actually happens,

on the bright side, it would be an interesting, fun way to die. No lie.

#20 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Aljosa23

Don't nationalize yourself with Murica you F-ing moose lover.
#21 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

UI55B.jpg

Blazerdt47

#22 Posted by magicalclick (22389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

UI55B.jpg

Masenkoe

If I remember correctly, they are originally Chinese, but, that would not sell to rich Chinese market.
#23 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

[QUOTE="The__Kraken"]

Make it happen, Jesus.

THE_DRUGGIE

I think the British gave up their nuclear ambitions against the US in the 1700s.

#24 Posted by Stesilaus (3293 posts) -

In view of the ongoing depredations of the US throughout the Middle East, it's unsurprising that North Korea would want an effective deterrent against the possibility of wanton aggression on the part of a world-bestriding bully.

#25 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -
[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

UI55B.jpg

magicalclick

If I remember correctly, they are originally Chinese, but, that would not sell to rich Chinese market.

Same with the new Red Dawn movie.
#26 Posted by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

Nothing to get your panties soaked over, they don't have enough slaves to lthrow the rocket that far

#27 Posted by tocool340 (20471 posts) -
Can we just blow North off the map before they actually manage to do something stupid?....
#28 Posted by Doolz2024 (9604 posts) -

North Korea won't do sh*t. But if they are stupid enough to actually go through with this, they will be obliterated within days.

#29 Posted by darkmark91 (2851 posts) -
Can we just blow North off the map before they actually manage to do something stupid?....tocool340
I agree 104% with this post
#30 Posted by lamprey263 (22851 posts) -

[QUOTE="The__Kraken"]

Make it happen, Jesus.

THE_DRUGGIE

I wouldn't necessarily be so concerned about the the damage they could inflict on the US mainland, but any military action that significant would certainly mean they'd attempt to invade South Korea, something that they may actually be capable of inflicting massive casualties if attempted. They outnumber both South Korean and US military forces and are committed to fighting to the death, they've 10,000 hidden artillery placements pointed at Seoul and an estimated dozen underground tunnels sneaker under the boarder that can move vast amounts of troops, only 4 have been discovered. It's nuclear weapons might be used against South Korea and Japan. And lets not forget that China has been an ally of North Korea for decades, and things could be very different depending on how they decide to get involved.
#31 Posted by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="The__Kraken"]

Make it happen, Jesus.

lamprey263

I wouldn't necessarily be so concerned about the the damage they could inflict on the US mainland, but any military action that significant would certainly mean they'd attempt to invade South Korea, something that they may actually be capable of inflicting massive casualties if attempted. They outnumber both South Korean and US military forces and are committed to fighting to the death, they've 10,000 hidden artillery placements pointed at Seoul and an estimated dozen underground tunnels sneaker under the boarder that can move vast amounts of troops, only 4 have been discovered. It's nuclear weapons might be used against South Korea and Japan. And lets not forget that China has been an ally of North Korea for decades, and things could be very different depending on how they decide to get involved.

Yeah, if sh!t ever did get stirred up, Seoul might sadly end up looking like the surface of the moon. Remember it was only a year or two ago when NK randomly blasted a SK village island with arty barrages

#32 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14368 posts) -

North Korea's missle defense system has beem EXPOSED!

[spoiler] looney8.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks of this when it comes to hearing about them doing a missile test? [/spoiler]

#33 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

they can't do ****

kingkong0124
Umm, they have the worlds 4th largest active Military (1st if you include reserves and paramilitary) and Nukes along with allegedly having more submarines than anyone else. They couldn't defeat the US, but they could certainly do ****.
#34 Posted by resevl4rlz (3256 posts) -

HAHAHAHA i wish they would try and then crash it into the ocean. North Korea are all talk. they wont do anything. they will beannihilated with one bomb

#35 Posted by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

North Korea's missle defense system has beem EXPOSED!

[spoiler] looney8.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks of this when it comes to hearing about them doing a missile test? [/spoiler]

Hallenbeck77

Too late, they already started

funny-gifs-north-korean-rocket-launch.gi

#37 Posted by PannicAtack (20945 posts) -
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

they can't do ****

Jacobistheman
Umm, they have the worlds 4th largest active Military (1st if you include reserves and paramilitary) and Nukes along with allegedly having more submarines than anyone else. They couldn't defeat the US, but they could certainly do ****.

That military is also very poorly trained and very poorly equipped.
#38 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
Umm, didn't they successfully launch a satellite into space using roughly the same long range rocket? Like, a month ago?
#39 Posted by DJ419 (997 posts) -
#40 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14368 posts) -
#41 Posted by gamerguru100 (10463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Umm, didn't they successfully launch a satellite into space using roughly the same long range rocket? Like, a month ago?DJ419

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/world/asia/north-korean-satellite.html?_r=0

Deemed a failure. NK can't succesfully detonate a nuke, they can't succesfully launch a long range rocket. Thank you media for the daily dose of fear mongering.

Yeah, didn't that one rocket they launched blow up over the ocean? ROFLMAO Epic Failure
#42 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4100 posts) -

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Aljosa23

You could look at this from a different angle though. If the U.S. went in a took out the North Korean government South Korea could annex the north, and while it would take a lot of time, the people would be better off. Of course I would never support attacking Korea (unless they attack first) but you can't just look at the negatives and ignore the positives.
#43 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4100 posts) -
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

they can't do ****

Jacobistheman

Yeah, they have a lot of people, but they lack the proper technology to stay relevant. Everything they have is severely outdated, they wouldn't stand a chance even with superior numbers.
#44 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Umm, didn't they successfully launch a satellite into space using roughly the same long range rocket? Like, a month ago?DJ419

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/world/asia/north-korean-satellite.html?_r=0

Deemed a failure. NK can't succesfully detonate a nuke, they can't succesfully launch a long range rocket. Thank you media for the daily dose of fear mongering.

Its clear that the rocket part of this mission worked very well for the North Koreans, Dr. McDowell said in an interview. They ended up in the right orbit. But the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the satellite failed either during the ascent or shortly afterwards.article

Which was my point.
Numerous news articles have stated to launch a satellite into orbit requires the same long range rocket technology as they'd require to have ICBM's.
Not sure if it's true, but if it is?

#45 Posted by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

they can't do ****

Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah, they have a lot of people, but they lack the proper technology to stay relevant. Everything they have is severely outdated, they wouldn't stand a chance even with superior numbers.

They'd put 25 million people in Seoul at risk if war started up again, they have hundreds of artillary pieces aimed at the city ready to fire at any moment, plus an insane number of hidden ungerground passages. The problem is obviously not their tech, but their ability to incinerate Seoul in minutes and their desire to fight to the death

#46 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

they can't do ****

PannicAtack

That military is also very poorly trained and very poorly equipped.

So was Russia in WW2 and they did a lot of harm to the nazis.
#47 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Toxic-Seahorse

You could look at this from a different angle though. If the U.S. went in a took out the North Korean government South Korea could annex the north, and while it would take a lot of time, the people would be better off. Of course I would never support attacking Korea (unless they attack first) but you can't just look at the negatives and ignore the positives.

The problem with that is that countries like the US pretend to know what other people's "better off" means. When the US supported a coup in Chile and they killed the democratically elected president, people went to the streets to protest and Kissinger and Nixon were clueless because they couldn't understand why people were unhappy. I think it is time for the US to stop pretending to know what's "best" for others.
#48 Posted by Aljosa23 (24620 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Toxic-Seahorse

The South annexing the North would destroy the South's economy. It's just not viable right now. They'll reunite one day but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

#49 Posted by ad1x2 (5485 posts) -
Sometimes I wonder if the Kims believe the bullsh!t that comes out of their mouths. The worst part of the war would be the beginning since a lot of innocent people on both sides of the border may die. I wouldn't expect an insurgency to rise after Pyongyang falls like in the Middle East because unlike in the ME the North Koreans aren't full of fanatics who follow (or fear) the Taliban. I would expect it to suck for the first few years since North and South Korea are farther apart in technology and economics than West and East Germany were when they reunited.
#50 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18334 posts) -
I really get annoyed when the UN says something, another country defies it and does it anyway and then nothing happens. It's just another case of showing why the UN is useless as no one listens to the UN.