Noah the movie, not based on bilbe facts ?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for LexLas
#1 Edited by LexLas (6710 posts) -

So my church had a special event last night, they rented out the entire theater, and we watched what we thought was going to be a biblical story about Noah. Little to our knowledge, the story was made up by the director in a way that took the biblical portion right into a Michael Bay type movie. It was disappointing, and improper. Mel Gibson did not do that with The passion of the Christ. It should say under the title of the movie, not based on the actual bible, lol .. I was like why are transformers building the ARC, lol .. And the story has so much added to it. I should have known that it was going to be something way different then a bible based movie. I don't know why i expected it to be a actual story from the bible. I don't know why any of us thought it was, lol ..

by the way, before it becomes a ugly religious thread. I am not saying anything in the bible is real, or that they should have based it on the bible. I just automatically assumed, because of the name, and some of the films copies of the bible itself, that it would be more based on the bible facts. But yes, he is the director, and he can twist it however he feels best. From the trailers i saw, it was not what i expected. Especially rock monsters destroying humans, like a lord of the rings movie, lol ..

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#2 Posted by Perfect_Blue (28125 posts) -

I heard a lot of religious folks are raging over it, which just makes me lol even if I don't care for the film. Should have researched it properly before watching you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#3 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

What's a bilbe?

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#4 Edited by comp_atkins (33454 posts) -

my guess would be a true account of the biblical record would be utterly ridiculous. even in the context of a fictional movie.

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#5 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

What's a bilbe?

TOPIC: After hearing Glen Beck lose his shit over the "rock people" in the movie, I knew it was a shameless cash in.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#6 Edited by Boddicker (4243 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

my guess would be a true account of the biblical record would be utterly ridiculous. even in the context of a fictional movie.

Spot on.

Avatar image for lostrib
#7 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

my guess would be a true account of the biblical record would be utterly ridiculous. even in the context of a fictional movie.

It would probably be pretty boring as well.

But if you've seen the trailer, it would seem pretty obvious that they are going outside the biblical story

Avatar image for kenocratic
#8 Posted by Kenocratic (123 posts) -

Sort of on topic, it's the way they show the facts. The movie making realism of the ark story. This isn't the first high tech CGI ark movie imo because Evan Almighty although it's a comedy had a version of the ark and all the animals complete with fancy computer animation. Closer to the topic Noah's star Russell Crowe said the criticism of the movie is irrational so that must mean the movie is correct for the most part right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/03/27/russell-crowe-calls-noah-criticism-irrational/6969677/

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#9 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

Way I hear it, Aronofsky approached it like the fantasy story it is. Seems he realizes the stories in the bible aren't true, but can still work as parables. I personally have little interest in the film, though I'll see it; but I find the outrage towards it hilarious. Mirrors that outrage from other fandoms when films make changes to the original story.

Avatar image for korvus
#10 Posted by Korvus (10152 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

TOPIC: After hearing Glen Beck lose his shit over the "rock people" in the movie, I knew it was a shameless cash in.

I never had any interest in the movie, but because of this thread I went ahead and watched a trailer. One of the comments also said the movie got adapted to graphic novel and here's a cover.

Definitely promising and realistic =P

Avatar image for hailtothequeen
#11 Posted by HailtotheQueen (290 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

What's a bilbe?

What's a biblical FACT? lol Never heard of such a thing existing.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@LexLas said:

So my church had a special event last night, they rented out the entire theater, and we watched what we thought was going to be a biblical story about Noah. Little to our knowledge, the story was made up by the director in a way that took the biblical portion right into a Michael Bay type movie. It was disappointing, and improper. Mel Gibson did not do that with The passion of the Christ. It should say under the title of the movie, not based on the actual bible, lol .. I was like why are transformers building the ARC, lol .. And the story has so much added to it. I should have known that it was going to be something way different then a bible based movie. I don't know why i expected it to be a actual story from the bible. I don't know why any of us thought it was, lol ..

Thanks for the report. I was interested in seeing it until I read your post. I lost all interest in it now. Sucks too because I was really wanting to watch it.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#14 Posted by lamprey263 (32832 posts) -

Well, you bring up it offended your religious sensibilities? How does this compare to the Biblical account?

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#15 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

1.) As people pointed out, a "Bilbe" isn't a thing.

2.) If you'd meant to write "Bible" which is probable, I'll remind you there is no such thing as a "bible fact". The bible is a collection of fictional stories, designed to make you think a certain way. Usually it's interpretation is shown by a "pastor" or "priest", but that in no way makes the teaching of the bible, facts. And while one can state facts associated with the bible ex: "The bible contains scripture about Moses", that doesn't mean the characters portrayed in the stories, ever existed, or did the things it says they did.

TLDR version: Saying Noah the Movie isn't based on "Bible facts", is like saying the new TMNT movie isn't based on "TMNT facts"

Avatar image for jimkabrhel
#16 Posted by jimkabrhel (15621 posts) -

It's one thing to decry a movie that takes fantastical liberties with the life of Jesus (which I imagine would never make it to theaters), but it's another to really criticize a story from the Bible that is already incredibly fantastical. There is no way to make the story of Noah close to realistic.

Perhaps they should have tried to age Anthony Hopkins more, you know, closer to 900 years.

Avatar image for alim298
#17 Edited by alim298 (2746 posts) -

You didn't see the trailers did you?

Avatar image for -Sun_Tzu-
#18 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

It's one thing to decry a movie that takes fantastical liberties with the life of Jesus (which I imagine would never make it to theaters)

Never seen Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ have you?

Great movie, very sacrilegious

Avatar image for jimkabrhel
#19 Posted by jimkabrhel (15621 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jimkabrhel said:

It's one thing to decry a movie that takes fantastical liberties with the life of Jesus (which I imagine would never make it to theaters)

Never seen Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ have you?

Great movie, very sacrilegious

No, I haven't. Perhaps I should. I'm sure it's a lot better than the pseudo-snuff film that is The Passion of the Christ.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
#20 Edited by Infinite_Access (2483 posts) -

It was directed by an atheist. It probably has more things in the bible than you realize.. just no one ever actually cares to read or they "skip over"

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117182/darren-aronofsky-noah-review

Here's a reviewer that justifies the liberties taken in the movie.

Avatar image for wis3boi
#21 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

The noah story never happened to begin with, so the director could do whatever he wanted I spose

Avatar image for Master_Live
#22 Posted by Master_Live (18417 posts) -

When I first heard the movie was been directed by Aronofsky I was excited, then I learned about the source material, then the trailer. Not excited anymore, looks like junk.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
#23 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (8715 posts) -

Well the first red flag should have been white people playing the roles of ancient Mesopotamians.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#24 Edited by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -

http://youtu.be/M03fZaSzll8?t=2m59s

Avatar image for chaoscougar1
#25 Edited by chaoscougar1 (37596 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@LexLas said:

So my church had a special event last night, they rented out the entire theater, and we watched what we thought was going to be a biblical story about Noah. Little to our knowledge, the story was made up by the director in a way that took the biblical portion right into a Michael Bay type movie. It was disappointing, and improper. Mel Gibson did not do that with The passion of the Christ. It should say under the title of the movie, not based on the actual bible, lol .. I was like why are transformers building the ARC, lol .. And the story has so much added to it. I should have known that it was going to be something way different then a bible based movie. I don't know why i expected it to be a actual story from the bible. I don't know why any of us thought it was, lol ..

Thanks for the report. I was interested in seeing it until I read your post. I lost all interest in it now. Sucks too because I was really wanting to watch it.

lol

Avatar image for lamprey263
#26 Edited by lamprey263 (32832 posts) -

the Mesopotamian great flood story has quite a few variants, maybe he borrowed something from other versions

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#27 Edited by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -

@LexLas said:
rock monsters destroying humans,..

Are you serious? That's actually in the movie? O_o

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

We so need a Gilgamesh movie.

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#29 Posted by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

We so need a Gilgamesh movie.

no we don't

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#30 Posted by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -

@Infinite_Access said:

It probably has more things in the bible than you realize.. just no one ever actually cares to read or they "skip over"

Like what?

Avatar image for Some-Mist
#31 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@Infinite_Access: reminds me of some of the reviews of the brick bible lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1616084219?pc_redir=1395857394&robot_redir=1

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#32 Posted by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -

Will Noah's nakedness be uncovered? That is the real question I have. <_<

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#33 Posted by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -

@Some-Mist said:

@Infinite_Access: reminds me of some of the reviews of the brick bible lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1616084219?pc_redir=1395857394&robot_redir=1

I have that. It's censored compared to what's on the authors website though. He needs to release a "complete" edition.

Avatar image for darkmark91
#34 Edited by darkmark91 (3016 posts) -

Can anyone provide a pic of these rock monsters? This just sounds hilarious! :P

Avatar image for Minishdriveby
#35 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

It's Aronofsky. he wasn't trying to make it accurate to the bible; he was trying to make it personal and what he envisioned since his childhood. You should probably know who's directing the film before going to see it. This is the same guy who did Requiem for a Dream, Pi, The Wrestler, and Black Swan.

Avatar image for The-Apostle
#36 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

Question: Is the movie about sin against GOD or sin against NATURE? Because I haven't seen it since I heard the latter.

Avatar image for Qixote
#37 Posted by Qixote (10839 posts) -

The bible story of Noah is very short. You try making a movie over 2 hours about it.

Interesting thread title. . ."bible facts". The bible exists, that is a fact. But all the things that are told in the bible have never been proven as fact. The whole concept of organized religion being faith based., not fact based.

Thousands of years ago a scroll was found in a cave with a children's story about a man and his ark, and gets interpreted as nonfictional documentary. Makes its way into the bible. And now here we are.

Avatar image for Riverwolf007
#38 Edited by Riverwolf007 (25823 posts) -

christians are pissed that they took all the dong out.

what's the noah story with no dong?

nothing, that's what.

PUT THE DONG BACK IN!!!!!!

Avatar image for El_Zo1212o
#39 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

Lemme see if I've got this right: the Nephilim- offspring of the angels who abandoned heaven to get jiggy with human babes; giants, bullies and overall troublemakers- are recast as stone giants who protect the ark? Protect it from who? I mean, the whole point o the flood was to kill all the wicked people- if any of the wicked were able to escape the flood, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a flood of divine retribution in the first place, no?

O, and that article where the dude tried to justify the artistic license made a couple of good points, but he missed one big point: Noah wasn't faced with standing by and watching all of humanity die out- as he was building the ark, he was charged with warning people that the flood was coming and inviting everyone to come on board with him and his family. Everyone was all, "there's the crazy preacherman with the boat," until the rain started coming down, but by then it was too late.

Avatar image for Storm_Marine
#40 Posted by Storm_Marine (12914 posts) -

@Qixote said:

The bible story of Noah is very short. You try making a movie over 2 hours about it.

Less rock monsters, more nakedness being uncovered.

Avatar image for TheFlush
#41 Posted by TheFlush (5829 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

It's Aronofsky. he wasn't trying to make it accurate to the bible; he was trying to make it personal and what he envisioned since his childhood. You should probably know who's directing the film before going to see it. This is the same guy who did Requiem for a Dream, Pi, The Wrestler, and Black Swan.

I wasn't interested in the movie, but now I am. I love ALL of those films!

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#42 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

Got back from seeing it, solid B. Really is nothing like it has been advertised to be. Much darker and a whole lot of fantasy elements. If you are going to make films about stories in the bible, you might as well take the approach Aronofsky did. They are parables/fables that are already pretty ridiculous, so you might as well make them exciting by smashing them together with The Lord of the Rings. I was glad it wasn't preachy, they never use the word 'God' once. More spiritual than religious and definitely pushes an environmentalist agenda. Not that I cared.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#43 Posted by Master_Live (18417 posts) -

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#44 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (11906 posts) -

It's a fictional movie based on a fictional book. Of course it's not going to realistic.

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#45 Posted by Perfect_Blue (28125 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

You prefer them to be awful?

Ben-Hur is the only religious film one needs to see.

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#46 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

bible facts?

Avatar image for The-Apostle
#47 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

You prefer them to be awful?

Ben-Hur is the only religious film one needs to see.

No, we prefer them to be good. As in closer to the scriptures that inspired them.

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#48 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

You prefer them to be awful?

Ben-Hur is the only religious film one needs to see.

No, we prefer them to be good. As in closer to the scriptures that inspired them.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

You prefer them to be awful?

Ben-Hur is the only religious film one needs to see.

No, we prefer them to be good. As in closer to the scriptures that inspired them.

Which translation of scripture? Or are you talking about the originals?

Avatar image for The-Apostle
#50 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@The-Apostle said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

I prefer my religious movie to be like The Ten Commandments or The Passion of the Christ.

You prefer them to be awful?

Ben-Hur is the only religious film one needs to see.

No, we prefer them to be good. As in closer to the scriptures that inspired them.

Which translation of scripture? Or are you talking about the originals?

You know what I mean...