lol

#55 Posted by dave123321 (33794 posts) -

Remember the several times batman wasn't Bruce

#56 Posted by thegerg (14860 posts) -

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

Everyday is a good day in America.

Oh wow Greg...did you get laid?

Regularly, but that's nothing next to America.

#57 Edited by dave123321 (33794 posts) -

I am happy that thhgerg is walking on the sunshine

#58 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

I am happy that thhgerg is walking on the sunshine

I know, right? Strangely enough, I feel happy that he's in a good mood.

#59 Posted by jasean79 (2359 posts) -

@korvus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh well I don't read comics. I just watch TV/movies. But I know they never keep an accurate history.....but they usually come back to the main character sooner or later. Can't get fussed over this TBH....it's not important. We really need to stop categorizing by skin tone.

Same here. What surprises me is that people aren't saying "But the person behind the mask is X, not Y", because that I could understand, people get used to a specific person donning the outfit, but when they're ok with it being a different person as long as it's of the same ethnicity...to me that's just weird...

I guess when Batman (in the movies for instance) has always been white, and then the next Batman is black, it throws people off a bit. "How did he go from white to black?" might be the question on their mind. Heck, even when they introduce a new white actor it threw me off too...because throughout the whole movie I was thinking, "I don't know if I like him as Batman"...I guess people just don't like radical change like that, especially when it comes to iconic superheros.

#60 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@korvus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh well I don't read comics. I just watch TV/movies. But I know they never keep an accurate history.....but they usually come back to the main character sooner or later. Can't get fussed over this TBH....it's not important. We really need to stop categorizing by skin tone.

Same here. What surprises me is that people aren't saying "But the person behind the mask is X, not Y", because that I could understand, people get used to a specific person donning the outfit, but when they're ok with it being a different person as long as it's of the same ethnicity...to me that's just weird...

I guess when Batman (in the movies for instance) has always been white, and then the next Batman is black, it throws people off a bit. "How did he go from white to black?" might be the question on their mind. Heck, even when they introduce a new white actor it threw me off too...because throughout the whole movie I was thinking, "I don't know if I like him as Batman"...I guess people just don't like radical change like that, especially when it comes to iconic superheros.

I think a black Batman would only be confusing if they replaced whichever white actor was playing him for a black actor halfway through a series of movies and pretended nothing happened. If they say "ok, Batman's dead and his (black) friend is taking over", I don't really see the confusion. I'm sure they're not going to pretend the new black Cap' is still Steve Rogers...

#61 Posted by dave123321 (33794 posts) -

@jasean79: it's not like Bruce Wayne would be all of a sudden black. You just have someone else becoming batman. A non Bruce Wayne Batman. Which has been done before.

#62 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

Remember the several times batman wasn't Bruce

Those are dark times......we don't speak of them.

#63 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (859 posts) -

#64 Posted by uninspiredcup (7865 posts) -

@jasean79: it's not like Bruce Wayne would be all of a sudden black. You just have someone else becoming batman. A non Bruce Wayne Batman. Which has been done before.

Stan Lee done an alternate version with him black.

#65 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Stan Lee done an alternate version with him black.

WTF is Stan Lee stealing off of DC....again?

#66 Posted by Jebus213 (8748 posts) -
#67 Edited by indzman (17258 posts) -

I am at a loss over all this. Need to sit down

Chillax Davey Boy =P

#68 Posted by indzman (17258 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

You claimed you were a loner ( no g.f) , so how come ? Hmmm ?

#69 Edited by uninspiredcup (7865 posts) -
#70 Posted by thegerg (14860 posts) -

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

When dd I claim that?

#71 Posted by indzman (17258 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

When dd I claim that?

some time back in a relationship status thread

#72 Edited by thegerg (14860 posts) -

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

When dd I claim that?

OK, that has nothing to do with my post, but thanks. I'm not sure I understand your questions.

Also, I've never claimed to be a loner. You're either mistaken or lying.

#73 Posted by indzman (17258 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

When dd I claim that?

OK, that has nothing to do with my post, but thanks. I'm not sure I understand your questions.

Hmmm , will try to find that post and prove you are lying.

#74 Posted by thegerg (14860 posts) -

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

@korvus said:

@thegerg said:

When dd I claim that?

Hmmm , will try to find that post and prove you are lying.

Please do. I honestly do not remember ever claiming that I am a loner. Anyway, what exactly are you asking? Your questions don't make much sense.

#75 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

They'd have to change his origin story, as the prevalent racism of the 1940s would make a black Captain America implausible.

#76 Edited by BranKetra (48182 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

YEAH! Fucking progression! Lets stick to those classic heroes that were created in a time when white men ruled all and any deviation from that was a threat to the great RED WHITE AND BLUE! Unless you haven't noticed, we live in a very diverse world. It only makes sense that these characters, after so many years of being the same, begin to change to better represent that world and their readers.

While I somewhat agree, I want to play devils advocate, partly because I believe it.

But Western Society, is undergoing a self-blame culture.... while we cater to every race, gender and apologise time and time again for being white males, people take advantage of this, feminism has taken a herrendous route in the west... they are starting to take advantage of their situation and REVERSING it not Equalising it. No male pill? hypocritical assholes.

More over certain religions are trying to get their horrendous laws passed in the UK/US that goes against everything these countries stand for... I wouldn't be suprised if we eventually give in "because us white male have hurt enough people, lets keep bending over to be abused".

And while we deal with these challenges, while we bend over, over and over again. the eastern countries will not follow suit. we are the gullible smucks being domesticated and too afraid to be white males... that eventually the opposite will occur and the same mercy won't be shown.

Paranoa? meh.... you can't defend a white male in any situation now, any movements, any rights... we are not eligible for positive effects, just negative.

Point is, why do we have to destroy our image... to mix it up? why do we have to apologise and bend to others wills.

I dont care about the super hero thing that much. I liked the black green lantern...

But, if its such a problem, why don't woman and other race people just make their own heroes to go alongside the big "white" ones... why is it that the white ones have to friggin transform losing their original identity...

Yes, paranoia. It absolutely is if you actually believe that.

#77 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

They'd have to change his origin story, as the prevalent racism of the 1940s would make a black Captain America implausible.

Or they could you know not make it be the original but someone taking over today. Not that hard really. It's done all the time.

#78 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9520 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

I really hate all these classic super hero changes they have been doing for the last couple of years.

Hey lets make this iconic dude a girl so feminist wont cry that we have a misogynist agenda.

Hey lets de-feminize Wonder Woman, and give her pants, becuz women can stand strong blah blah blah.

Hey lets make an Arab hero, but not just an Arab hero, lets make it a Female Arab Super Hero to make us look like we definitely do not have stereo types.

Hey, let make this guy Black, becuz thats hip now and we dont want to look like we belong to the republican party.

Whats next, making Super Man gay, becuz gay kids need some one to look up to and represent them? And Batman transsexual becuz kids should learn that sexuality and gender is what ever you want it to be?

The truth is, they know no one cares about comics anymore, but they want to play the "we want to change and challenge societies' norms and standards, to reach a progressive future cuz we are good people yo". But its all just to stay relevant, and have people talking about them again. It worked, we are talking about a dead medium again.

You know if you actually bothered to read the comics, the new Wonder Woman and Ms Marvel series are actually really good

lol i never cared to read any comics. I was born in '92, comics werent even popular then anymore.

Im slightly trolling, but for a reason. What I do is try to come up with a raging opposing views (even tho it may not be my own whole-heartedly views) just for the purpose of creating discussion and to rustle some feathers. I do this often. I like being the guy who brings up things people dont want to talk about or an unpopular view just to see how much discussion can happen and how it will be taken by the good people of OT.

I know it could be confused with trolling but i do it to get to a point.

#79 Edited by Korvus (3228 posts) -

lol i never cared to read any comics. I was born in '92, comics werent even popular then anymore.

Im slightly trolling, but for a reason. What I do is try to come up with a raging opposing views (even tho it may not be my own whole-heartedly views) just for the purpose of creating discussion and to rustle some feathers. I do this often. I like being the guy who brings up things people dont want to talk about or an unpopular view just to see how much discussion can happen and how it will be taken by the good people of OT.

So basically you share your honest opinion, and if most people disagree with what you're saying, you claim to be playing devil's advocate. Got it =D

#80 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

So basically you share your honest opinion, and if most people disagree with what you're saying, you claim to be playing devil's advocate. Got it =D

How I read it as well.....;P

#81 Edited by Aljosa23 (24756 posts) -

Perfectly fine. Pretty much anyone can become Captain America with the help of some WW2-era medical testing anyway. Steve Rogers was a bag of bones before the US military worked on him. It makes no sense to me why readers get upset by character changes when DC and Marvel are already a clusterfuck of continuity and retconning.

#82 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9520 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

eh... no quite...

For example when i first read the thread my react action was just "Um... ok.. why tho?". Thats literally was just it, but i took that and exaggerated it on purpose to get reactions.