Next Captain America will be african american

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

ARTICLE

Thoughts OT ?

Personally i'll stop following Captain America comics or movies from henceforward ( Also THOR as it will be a woman ) , call me racist , sexist or not I really don't fancy my fav super heroes i grew up reading getting colour or sex change to appeal to masses, sorry. Next what ? Batman or Superman as black guys or a Iron Woman ?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

who cares

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

...Captain America is a persona. Like Batman. ANYONE can don the outfit and use the name, and still be and represent that PERSONA. Any objection to this is fucking moronic.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I think Obama should be Captain America.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Quite like the look of that picture. Like Thor, it's a pretty cool update.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Cool

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Ahem... I've heard Captain America's sidekick, who is African-American, is the new Captain America, so it works. Thor being a woman doesn't work though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It's just the Falcon taking over as captain america

You do realize that Steve Rogers hasn't always been Captain America.

Plus, it's comic books so most likely the original characters will return, just like when Cap died. Or the other times Bruce Wayne has been replaced as batman

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I really hate all these classic super hero changes they have been doing for the last couple of years.

Hey lets make this iconic dude a girl so feminist wont cry that we have a misogynist agenda.

Hey lets de-feminize Wonder Woman, and give her pants, becuz women can stand strong blah blah blah.

Hey lets make an Arab hero, but not just an Arab hero, lets make it a Female Arab Super Hero to make us look like we definitely do not have stereo types.

Hey, let make this guy Black, becuz thats hip now and we dont want to look like we belong to the republican party.

Whats next, making Super Man gay, becuz gay kids need some one to look up to and represent them? And Batman transsexual becuz kids should learn that sexuality and gender is what ever you want it to be?

The truth is, they know no one cares about comics anymore, but they want to play the "we want to change and challenge societies' norms and standards, to reach a progressive future cuz we are good people yo". But its all just to stay relevant, and have people talking about them again. It worked, we are talking about a dead medium again.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

I really hate all these classic super hero changes they have been doing for the last couple of years.

Hey lets make this iconic dude a girl so feminist wont cry that we have a misogynist agenda.

Hey lets de-feminize Wonder Woman, and give her pants, becuz women can stand strong blah blah blah.

Hey lets make an Arab hero, but not just an Arab hero, lets make it a Female Arab Super Hero to make us look like we definitely do not have stereo types.

Hey, let make this guy Black, becuz thats hip now and we dont want to look like we belong to the republican party.

Whats next, making Super Man gay, becuz gay kids need some one to look up to and represent them? And Batman transsexual becuz kids should learn that sexuality and gender is what ever you want it to be?

The truth is, they know no one cares about comics anymore, but they want to play the "we want to change and challenge societies' norms and standards, to reach a progressive future cuz we are good people yo". But its all just to stay relevant, and have people talking about them again. It worked, we are talking about a dead medium again.

I relate to this post so much , my thoughts exactly !!!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@Nengo_Flow said:

This didn't start happening in the last few years.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintLeonidas

@Nengo_Flow said:

YEAH! Fucking progression! Lets stick to those classic heroes that were created in a time when white men ruled all and any deviation from that was a threat to the great RED WHITE AND BLUE! Unless you haven't noticed, we live in a very diverse world. It only makes sense that these characters, after so many years of being the same, begin to change to better represent that world and their readers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

Time has a really great article on this.

http://time.com/3001549/marvel-thor-female/

So the challenge for comics is how to retain the existing audience and also grow new readers. How do you keep the attention of someone who has read thousands of stories and also take advantage of the visibility and familiarity that the movies and TV shows have brought to the characters? (Interestingly, in recent years, more girls and women have started reading superhero comics again, perhaps lured to the comics by the popular movies and TV series.)

One of the answers is to make seemingly radical changes in a character, such as having Thor become a female (or to have a black man become Captain America). The Internet buzz indicates that as many fans are outraged by the gender switch as there are those who are intrigued. And the very fact that The View and many other media outlets that generally don’t cover comics have picked up the story means that people who may have forgotten about comic books, or who never knew much about them to begin with, now know that to read about how Thor becomes a woman, they will have to go to a brick-and-mortar or online comic book store in order to find out the inside scoop.

So Marvel’s comics division—the source of the much-better-known media versions of the characters—has scored a major publicity coup. Outraged longtime Thor readers—and many lapsed ones—will buy the comic to see if their worst fears or best hopes for the storyline will come true. New readers, who otherwise would never have ventured into a comics shop, will go out of their way to find the issue, and may be induced to try some other comics they find there, as well. Thor comics sales will temporarily rise, and perhaps some of the sales increase will become permanent if readers enjoy what’s in the comic’s pages.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dave123321

You peeps be weird about this stuff

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@dave123321 said:

Hey, keeps the forum going at least. Place wouldn't exist if people didn't throw temper tantrums over the most inconsequential things.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nengo_Flow

@uninspiredcup said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

I know its been a trend in the last couple of years.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nengo_Flow

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

YEAH! Fucking progression! Lets stick to those classic heroes that were created in a time when white men ruled all and any deviation from that was a threat to the great RED WHITE AND BLUE! Unless you haven't noticed, we live in a very diverse world. It only makes sense that these characters, after so many years of being the same, begin to change to better represent that world and their readers.

I know my post makes me seem like a White Supremacist All American **** Yeah Boy, but

1) Im not American

2) Im not white

What I didnt come across in that post was that if they want to make all these multicultural and whatever gender characters.... um... why not make new heroes instead of taking well establish icons and ruining them? What wrong with doing that?

Oh wait... its a dead medium and making new characters wont get anyone's attention, so taking something already established is way easier.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Nengo_Flow said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

I know its been a trend in the last couple of years.

Redesign and concepts have been happening for 60+ years

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nengo_Flow

Also, has anyoe ever heard of this old Mexican Comic? (I've always wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of it)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

That you would say such things is perplexing. Similar to how the title Superman represents the strength of morality and Green Lantern represents the strength of will, Captain America personifies the virtues of the United States of America. Steve Rogers is Captain America, but the same can be said for Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson. As a long-time ally of Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson has proven himself to be a worthy stand-in for Rogers. I hope the writers make a good story about him.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
@lostrib said:

Plus, it's comic books so most likely the original characters will return, just like when Cap died. Or the other times Bruce Wayne has been replaced as batman

well, that explains a lot, guess TC isn't as much as a comic buff as he pretends to be

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SaintLeonidas

We are all ignoring the most interesting part of this change, the new (not really) Falcon!

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

wonder woman wearing pants oh nooooooooooooo

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Oh look this time the racists/sexists in the thread even include TC

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Nengo_Flow said:

You know if you actually bothered to read the comics, the new Wonder Woman and Ms Marvel series are actually really good

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintLeonidas

@commonfate said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

wonder woman wearing pants oh nooooooooooooo

Fucking practicality, ruins everything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup
@dave123321 said:

You think these guys are taking it seriously you should see the (ever) pretentious guardian readers.

This is patently ridiculous. Thor is a person (i.e. the Asgardian son of Odin), not a title. Yes, while Thor may be unworthy to wield Mjolnir (due to his father's spell), he still is STILL an Asgardian prince, with many innate powers (super strength, near-immortality, etc). The hammer simply augments his already present powers and grants him a few more- which is all that the inscription ""Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor" means. When Captain America lifted Mjolnir, he didn't become Thor- he remained Steve Rogers, albeit with more power.

I have absolutely no problem with Marvel introducing more important female heroes... but co-opting one of the most classic Marvel characters, who is defined not by a pseudonym or a title, but rather his real name and characteristics, is a very stupid move that smacks of a desperate attempt to earn new readers and earn PC cred by irreverently trashing a character that has been beloved since his creation by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby over 50 years ago

Random asshole -

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

In other news, the next new ROBOCOP is an Asian American (rumored to be Donnie Yen, the guy who played Ip Man) with special Martial Arts skills, with a deadly cybernetic KungFu grip! He not only carries nun-chucks but also 2 Kitana Blades. Also he doesn't use a pistol, he uses a heavily modified "infinite" Shuriken, just one, he throws it, and works like a boomerang, made of special alloys, not even artillery shells can destroy it.

"ha...ha....ha...funny, funny...!" - Short Round quote

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
@lostrib said:

Also, Robin replaced Batman a couple times. Robin also became Nightwing a couple times. There was even a female Robin at one point. I'm not even a real comic book fan. I just enjoy the games and movies. But I also don't live under a rock.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@BranKetra said:

That you would say such things is perplexing. Similar to how the title Superman represents the strength of morality and Green Lantern represents the strength of will, Captain America personifies the virtues of the United States of America. Steve Rogers is Captain America, but the same can be said for Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson. As a long-time ally of Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson has proven himself to be a worthy stand-in for Rogers. I hope the writers make a good story about him.

Not only of the virtues of the USA, but the old ideals of the 1940s where there was a clear line of who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. And Rogers represent the old ideals of true freedom, being truthfully, and severing fair and equal justice to all. These ideas still exist today in America, but it has been buried under people taking advantage of the system, unjustifiably spying, and taking things to far (like extreme torture and killings). This new person taking the handle of Captain America could still lead the examples of the first (which would be fine and faithful). But I think a more interesting approach were if he was pressured by his hero and government peers to apply himself of the new philosophys of fighting terror in the world today. It could make for a more realistic, scary, and philosophy ride for Cap.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Anything that pisses off stupid racist fucks, intentionally or not, is fine by me.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

I'm really sick of people like you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#33 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I think it's great! I'd rather see NEW superheroes but since that's not going to work it'll have to be good enough that they change old ones. We don't really need 50 blonde, blue-eyed males as superheroes, do we?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

...Captain America is a persona. Like Batman. ANYONE can don the outfit and use the name, and still be and represent that PERSONA. Any objection to this is fucking moronic.

Eh I don't agree with that. The character in the suit matters as well...unless it's superficially written I guess.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Meh. Who cares? I don't read comics, so I wouldn't know the difference between Captain America of 50 years ago and the one of today. Second, if I don't find the movie to be appealing, I just don't go see it. No one is forcing you to "like" the changes. Let them do whatever they want, if it's not received well by the comic community, they'll stop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Eh I don't agree with that. The character in the suit matters as well...unless it's superficially written I guess.

I don't think Leonidas was saying the character in the suit doesn't matter, only that "but this sucks!! Captain America is not black!!" comments are a bit narrow-minded. Steve Rogers isn't black, but that doesn't mean the Cap' can't be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

While I somewhat agree, I want to play devils advocate, partly because I believe it.

But Western Society, is undergoing a self-blame culture.... while we cater to every race, gender and apologise time and time again for being white males, people take advantage of this, feminism has taken a herrendous route in the west... they are starting to take advantage of their situation and REVERSING it not Equalising it. No male pill? hypocritical assholes.

More over certain religions are trying to get their horrendous laws passed in the UK/US that goes against everything these countries stand for... I wouldn't be suprised if we eventually give in "because us white male have hurt enough people, lets keep bending over to be abused".

And while we deal with these challenges, while we bend over, over and over again. the eastern countries will not follow suit. we are the gullible smucks being domesticated and too afraid to be white males... that eventually the opposite will occur and the same mercy won't be shown.

Paranoa? meh.... you can't defend a white male in any situation now, any movements, any rights... we are not eligible for positive effects, just negative.

Point is, why do we have to destroy our image... to mix it up? why do we have to apologise and bend to others wills.

I dont care about the super hero thing that much. I liked the black green lantern...

But, if its such a problem, why don't woman and other race people just make their own heroes to go alongside the big "white" ones... why is it that the white ones have to friggin transform losing their original identity...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I dont mind the next captain america being black. I just dont like that they are making the Falcon into captain america. The falcon is pretty cool, and I'd rather have him stay as the falcon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@thegerg said:

As long as he's American...

But he's Captain America, not Captain American. Couldn't he be Asian and fight for America?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@thegerg: Then no need to worry; no matter where he (or she) comes from, they'll always be American ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

@MBirdy88: pretty much

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dave123321

Hey you guys who's world is crumbling around them, did you shake in fear or anger when this stuff occurred

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/columns/4291/the-many-faces-of-captain-america/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@thegerg: Someone's in a good mood today =D

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@korvus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I don't think Leonidas was saying the character in the suit doesn't matter, only that "but this sucks!! Captain America is not black!!" comments are a bit narrow-minded. Steve Rogers isn't black, but that doesn't mean the Cap' can't be.

Oh well I don't read comics. I just watch TV/movies. I know they never keep an accurate history.....but they usually come back to the main character sooner or later. Can't get fussed over this TBH....it's not important. We really need to stop categorizing by skin tone.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dave123321

Were you guys also pissed off when James Rhodes was Iron Man?

Do you guys even have awareness of the history of these guys?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh well I don't read comics. I just watch TV/movies. But I know they never keep an accurate history.....but they usually come back to the main character sooner or later. Can't get fussed over this TBH....it's not important. We really need to stop categorizing by skin tone.

Same here. What surprises me is that people aren't saying "But the person behind the mask is X, not Y", because that I could understand, people get used to a specific person donning the outfit, but when they're ok with it being a different person as long as it's of the same ethnicity...to me that's just weird...