New YouTube layout...Yay or Nay?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by blangenakker (2447 posts) -
There's a couple of features that a cool, but thats about it
#52 Posted by Blade8Aus (1819 posts) -

It looks nice, but the new front page layout is silly compared to the old one.

Why should recomended and subscribed videos be in the same section? Why should the subscribed videos (in this section) not in reverse-chronological order?

#53 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

What can I say. I'm tired of getting updates that makes me "get used to it", rather than impress me. No other site in my personal experience has been so drawn toward disappointment in aesthetic appeal, function, and feature handling. & on such a recurring level at that. Google, in combination with their bs force feeding services, has miraculously made it even more annoying. Who'd thought that to be possible. In any case, I'll "get used to it" soon enough.

mccoyca112

Wow....I hadn't thought of it like that before but, you're right.

The whole point of these new revisions and upgrades to the website is to improve YouTube in meaningful ways and a small portion is also, I would guess, to impress people with the new designs and how good these updates are getting. Of course there will always be complainers (in many ways rightfully so) but the worst part might actually be from the people who don't mind it and will "get used to it." In reality, that's perhaps the worst thing one can say about a design/website especially one like YouTube that has been changed constantly to get people to like it.

When people say with every update that they'll simply "get used to it," that in itself is pretty much a confirmation that YouTube is not doing it's job at all if people still have to get used to it with every update.

#54 Posted by Blade8Aus (1819 posts) -

[QUOTE="mccoyca112"]

What can I say. I'm tired of getting updates that makes me "get used to it", rather than impress me. No other site in my personal experience has been so drawn toward disappointment in aesthetic appeal, function, and feature handling. & on such a recurring level at that. Google, in combination with their bs force feeding services, has miraculously made it even more annoying. Who'd thought that to be possible. In any case, I'll "get used to it" soon enough.

Goyoshi12

The whole point of these new revisions and upgrades to the website is to improve YouTube in meaningful ways and a small portion is also, I would guess, to impress people with the new designs and how good these updates are getting. Of course there will always be complainers (in many ways rightfully so) but the worst part might actually be from the people who don't mind it and will "get used to it." In reality, that's perhaps the worst thing one can say about a design/website especially one like YouTube that has been changed constantly to get people to like it.

When people say with every update that they'll simply "get used to it," that in itself is pretty much a confirmation that YouTube is not doing it's job at all if people still have to get used to it with every update.

I'm not so sure that is true. I think I read a theory that Facebook has a deliberately large amount of updates (though idk if that's still a fair statement) so that people adjust to the new updates instead of getting bored and looking for alternative services. It's possible that the YouTube managers try this.

#55 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

They just keep getting worse and worse. It was bad enough when they stuck everything in a single column so people with cell phones could view it easier, and people with actual computers could just scroll and scroll and scroll to get to things that used to be conveniently placed horizontally across the screen. Now they taken all the f***ing subscriptions and recommended videos and jammed them all together into a one huge mess of a single column.

Good grief :roll:

#56 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="mccoyca112"]

Blade8Aus

I'm not so sure that is true. I think I read a theory that Facebook has a deliberately large amount of updates (though idk if that's still a fair statement) so that people adjust to the new updates instead of getting bored and looking for alternative services. It's possible that the YouTube managers try this.

I was taking a guess at that statement, I don't really know why YouTube does these revisions and updates but you'd think that after years of complaints they'd get a clue on the updates that maybe it's for the best for YouTube to just stay the way it is. This isn't CoD, staying the same is perfectly fine especially when the changes are this bad.

#57 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

I HATE HATE the new YT layout. Stupid,stupid. You don't FIX what aint broke.

#58 Posted by CountBleck12 (23169 posts) -
[QUOTE="CountBleck12"]

I hate it... yet there is nothing we can do and that "give feedback" crap won't matter anyway.

ShadowsDemon
btw who made your sig? It's ultra-sexy :o

A friend of mine at the Randomness Union.
#59 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6725/46242273.jpg

TrainerCeleste
Mines not like this :lol:

mine is
#60 Posted by ButaDujo (331 posts) -

[QUOTE="ButaDujo"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

I don't care for it.

Pffrbt

Its tough to be irritated at the grammatical error in the gif on the right when theres cottage cheese in a bag shaking its arse at me.

Why can't I adblock your sig?

I cant adblock yours either, so I guess we are even ;)
#61 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

Is it me or is the Youtube screen seems to be shifted more to left now?

#62 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6836 posts) -
I really don't notice anything different. It looks fine to me.
#63 Posted by Diablo-B (4051 posts) -
Looks the same to me as it did last week
#64 Posted by _Colossus_ (1704 posts) -

For crying out loud, Google. Center it at least! Even the most basic websites these days are able to make a seperate design for the tablets/smartphones. People on PC/Mac/Linux ... console, even, don't need to suffer because of it.

#65 Posted by tonitorsi (8489 posts) -

I've been messing around with it, and Im luvin this flaw-free layout already.

#66 Posted by tomo90 (2244 posts) -

I'm really liking it. Seems simple and clean.

#67 Posted by wis3boi (31601 posts) -

the ratio is completley off, all the positioning sucks

#68 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

god i fvcking hate this.

#69 Posted by wis3boi (31601 posts) -

khRkg.jpg.

#70 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
As Wiseboi pointed out, the huge empty space is what bothers me most. I got a 21.5" monitor and it feels awkward to have half of the website filled with...a white space.
#71 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

Is there a way to get the subscription box to show a new video as it comes out rather than youtube just showing you random crap from your subscriptions in no coherent order?

#72 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Hate it.

#73 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10169 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="CountBleck12"]

I hate it... yet there is nothing we can do and that "give feedback" crap won't matter anyway.

CountBleck12
btw who made your sig? It's ultra-sexy :o

A friend of mine at the Randomness Union.

I'll need to investigate. ;)
#74 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Yay! It is actually good. But people always whine about change.
#75 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23676 posts) -
i like it comments show avatars now
#76 Posted by TheFlush (5582 posts) -

I hate the new homepage. It doesn't show my subscriptions and doesn't remember to leave it on uploads only either.

metroidfood

Pretty much this, annoying!!

#77 Posted by bobbetybob (19296 posts) -
It's pretty dumb, the stupid "What to watch" should NOT be your default home page because nobody gives a s*it what an algorithm wants them to watch, it's like they don't realise that people subscribe to channels for a reason. Luckily I got around that by just changing my bookmark to the URL for subscriptions and then uploads only. Also on the videos there seems to be way more white space to the right of the videos, it's not that big a deal but I use a 32 inch TV as a monitor so it's pretty off putting, it didn't seem as bad before, the videos used to be more centred or something. I don't care about the rest of the changes, they're just stuff you get used to after about 2 days.
#78 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

The Playlist Viewer is the best thing about the new design. I hated the ugly playlist bar at the bottom in the old design. It got in the way and was very laggy.

#79 Posted by GazaAli (23299 posts) -
What as$hole at Google is learning Dreamweaver?Fightingfan
Spot on :lol:
#80 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

Quick tip for you guys:

To see the top videos, just go to youtube.com/charts.

#81 Posted by TwoFace-BS (10395 posts) -
meh....I'll adapt to the new one,and the next after that, and the next one after that without really caring TBH
#82 Posted by Gorillanator (784 posts) -

Good googly mooglies what were they thinking?

Seriously, everything's so doggone small; it's way too freaking crowded, and there's white space where this isn't supposed to be white space.

#83 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Good googly mooglies what were they thinking?

Seriously, everything's so doggone small; it's way too freaking crowded, and there's white space where this isn't supposed to be white space.

Gorillanator

There's a "that's what she said" joke in there somewhere....I know it...

#84 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

Hate it.

sexyweapons

+1

#85 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Cosmic Panda was the best.

#86 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -
Don't see much of a difference to be honest
#87 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
How the hell do you browse like the most watched videos and stuff with this new layout?
#88 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -
How the hell do you browse like the most watched videos and stuff with this new layout?V4LENT1NE
YouTube is trying to be more like a social network, so you only see videos and actions of people you subscribe to.
#89 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

It does look much better centered.

2vhzxb8.png

#90 Posted by cheetahman91 (214 posts) -

Doesn't look like much but I'll get used to it eventually. I do like how it shows the avatars in the comments section though.

#91 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

Doesn't look like much but I'll get used to it eventually. I do like how it shows the avatars in the comments section though.

cheetahman91
Yeah. I like that too. And how the titles of the video are under the player. Looks cleaner.
#92 Posted by cheetahman91 (214 posts) -

46242273.jpg

Jebus213

I don't have any problems with white space on mine. Looks like this design was created with smaller screens in mind.

#93 Posted by MistressMinako (45922 posts) -
When I first saw it I was like wtf did my Firefox just crapped out on YouTube and then after refreshing I was like hmm well okay I guess they changed it. Looks too weird, kinda liked it better when you couldn't see everyone's avatars in the comments.
#94 Posted by Boston_Boyy (3982 posts) -

It's no better or worse than the last layout but I missed the way it looked back in 2008-2009 when they had an actual "most viewed" section where you could watch the most viewed videos posted within the past 48 hours or so along with options to see the most watched from "this week", "this month" and "all time". Today's "popular on youtube section" is a mess.

#95 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Avatars in comments is the only good thing about it.

#96 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

46242273.jpg

cheetahman91

I don't have any problems with white space on mine. Looks like this design was created with smaller screens in mind.

Let's be honest, who doesn't have a wide screen monitor now?

It's time for them to go wide, people without wide screen monitors are just going to have to cope scrolling sideways as they're in the minority.

#97 Posted by organic_machine (9686 posts) -

The Playlist Viewer is the best thing about the new design. I hated the ugly playlist bar at the bottom in the old design. It got in the way and was very laggy.

PinkiePirate

I am still a bit annoyed with a lot of the new design, but you're absolutely right. I'll give credit where credit is due here, the playlist viewer is vastly improved.

#98 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]How the hell do you browse like the most watched videos and stuff with this new layout?PinkiePirate
YouTube is trying to be more like a social network, so you only see videos and actions of people you subscribe to.

Why the hell did they do that?!?!
#99 Posted by AtlasScar (9 posts) -
At first sight it was okay, but then after ten seconds I couldn't stand it.
#100 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

As expected, everyone hates it. This is exactly what happened with the last change. I think it's a big improvement. The last design was clunky and looked dated. Everything is cleaner and it feels like a more unified experience.

PinkiePirate

I don't mind the design, I just hate them hiding all my subscriptions behind a massive wall of cluttered recommendations and comments.