New YouTube layout...Yay or Nay?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (10500 posts) -

I liked the old layout more. What does YT get out of changing its layout? Was this at the request of a lot of people in a poll or something? Dafuq R U doin YouTube? :P

#2 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Nay but alas, nothing we can do now.

*sigh* This is going to take a while to get used to.

#3 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
Thread about this already ;) But I kinda like it so far.
#4 Posted by champion837 (1447 posts) -

It looks a little small, it needs some screen size modifications. Other than that, it doesn't look that bad.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
"yay or nay" Gay
#6 Posted by Jebus213 (8742 posts) -
#7 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
#8 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
What as$hole at Google is learning Dreamweaver?
#9 Posted by gamerguru100 (10500 posts) -
"yay or nay" Gay Fightingfan
I would like to add that option but the mods would probably bite my ass over that. :P
#10 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

I've had this layout for like 2 months, not really new.

Overall, I feel its a step in the right direcection, but not there yet.

#11 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

I hate the new homepage. It doesn't show my subscriptions and doesn't remember to leave it on uploads only either.

The new player and layout is nice though, it just needs to scale better.

#12 Posted by Jebus213 (8742 posts) -

I fixed it by zooming in 50%...

#13 Posted by RahXephon101 (501 posts) -

Same as when facebook updates its layout, it sucks. Not sure why these websites feel the need to fix things that are not a problem, but hey obviously I am going to keep using the site so can't complain that much.

#14 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I've had this layout for like 2 months, not really new.

Overall, I feel its a step in the right direcection, but not there yet.

dercoo

I've seen the layout from time to time, this is the first time though that it's probably official.

Sucks though that just a few hours ago I had the old one up and felt like YouTube finally got their head on straight.

Nope, @#$% you.

#15 Posted by kudols (211 posts) -
#16 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I hate it, I have my monitor slightly to the left of where I sit so I'm basically staring at white when I'm on youtube now.

#17 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

Why do they change their layout so often? I really don't like it.

#18 Posted by Blue-Sky (10315 posts) -

Still no default video settings.

#19 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

46242273.jpg

Jebus213

I don't like the left side of the player's window either, just wasted space. I think the video frame should be able to get to, at least, 1280x720 in the browser.

The homepage I don't like having to click extra tabs to get it to what I want, why would those be hidden in tabs, when it doesn't waste any extra screen space just to show it?

And minimalist white is the wrong thing for watching videos, too bright.

#20 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

I don't care for it.

#21 Posted by 1Rob-E (114 posts) -

Nay

#22 Posted by ButaDujo (331 posts) -

I don't care for it.

Pffrbt

Its tough to be irritated at the grammatical error in the gif on the right when theres cottage cheese in a bag shaking its arse at me.

#23 Posted by Slashless (10090 posts) -
What as$hole at Google is learning Dreamweaver?Fightingfan
ROFL. My thoughts exactly after seeing that pic.
#24 Posted by organic_machine (9685 posts) -

I don't mind them changing the layout as much as I mind them removing features. I would like more customizability with my home page, not less. I really hate it when I watch one video about something random like llamas or something and for the next 2 months I have "youtube recommends another llama video even though you've listened to none of our suggestions" dominating my home feed. I remember being able to remove unwanted suggestions, I no longer have that feature.

#25 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I don't mind them changing the layout as much as I mind them removing features. I would like more customizability with my home page, not less. I really hate it when I watch one video about something random like llamas or something and for the next 2 months I have "youtube recommends another llama video even though you've listened to none of our suggestions" dominating my home feed. I remember being able to remove unwanted suggestions, I no longer have that feature.

organic_machine
I hate that $#!+. I remember months ago watching the Nostalgia Critic's response to Kony 2012 and yet even though I watched it MONTHS ago YouTube still recommend me videos because I watched it.....months ago; then they take off the way to remove that cluster@$#% of videos? You are something else YouTube, you are something else.
#26 Posted by organic_machine (9685 posts) -

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

Goyoshi12

I hate that $#!+. I remember months ago watching the Nostalgia Critic's response to Kony 2012 and yet even though I watched it MONTHS ago YouTube still recommend me videos because I watched that video months ago; then they take off the way to remove that cluster@$ of videos? You are something else YouTube, you are something else.

I mean, you can just click on the "my subscriptions" tab and have the suggestions go away, but I wish you could choose to have "my subscriptions" be the default home page. Now that I would love!

#27 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

organic_machine

I hate that $#!+. I remember months ago watching the Nostalgia Critic's response to Kony 2012 and yet even though I watched it MONTHS ago YouTube still recommend me videos because I watched that video months ago; then they take off the way to remove that cluster@$ of videos? You are something else YouTube, you are something else.

I mean, you can just click on the "my subscriptions" tab and have the suggestions go away, but I wish you could choose to have "my subscriptions" be the default home page. Now that I would love!

Eh, might be able to bookmark it at least but the fact that it isn't default already (which, honestly, by now it should be) is just ridiculous.
#28 Posted by Celldrax (14563 posts) -

There is something strange about the new layout...

Hmm....new fonts?....new colours?.....oh wait, everything is over to one f*cking side.

As least center that sh*t.

#29 Posted by -Toshy- (1349 posts) -
Not really a fan of it. Main thing that riles me up is how, on the front page, they replaced recommended videos with recommended channels. That's honestly how I came across ~95% of the videos that I've watched. Now it's in a format similar to your news feed on facebook.

Half tempted to remove all of my subscriptions so I don't have to sift through the stuff I don't care about.
#30 Posted by svengalis (54 posts) -

ALL companies do this (new remodels) to try and stay fresh and bring in new users/ customers.

#31 Posted by roulettethedog (10947 posts) -

I hate the new layout, but truthfully, I just need the search box for music videos.

#32 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Not for me. Looks like ish on my 24" monitor. I don't always use youtube, but when I do, I want it centered.

#33 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

As expected, everyone hates it. This is exactly what happened with the last change. I think it's a big improvement. The last design was clunky and looked dated. Everything is cleaner and it feels like a more unified experience.

#34 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

I've been a part of Youtube for almost 5 years now. I've been through many layout changes: 5 homepage renovations, 2 channel renovations, getting rid of bulletins, moving descriptions from the side of the page to below the video, subscription changes, the removal of the friends list, the addition (and subsequent removal of) personal groups, getting rid of moving avy's, etc.

Everytime it's changed, people complain, people moan, people cry, people b*tch, people just generally don't shut up. Even right now, every couple of videos, the top comment is someone complaining about the changes and their 100+ likes.

I don't mind the new layout. I never do. Give me a day or two, and I'll know it just as well as the old layout and there will be no complaints because I'll find some new convenience I like, I always do.

#35 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

I don't care for it.

ButaDujo

Its tough to be irritated at the grammatical error in the gif on the right when theres cottage cheese in a bag shaking its arse at me.

Why can't I adblock your sig?

#36 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

I've been a part of Youtube for almost 5 years now. I've been through many layout changes: 5 homepage renovations, 2 channel renovations, getting rid of bulletins, moving descriptions from the side of the page to below the video, subscription changes, the removal of the friends list, the addition (and subsequent removal of) personal groups, getting rid of moving avy's, etc.

Everytime it's changed, people complain, people moan, people cry, people b*tch, people just generally don't shut up. Even right now, every couple of videos, the top comment is someone complaining about the changes and their 100+ likes.

I don't mind the new layout. I never do. Give me a day or two, and I'll know it just as well as the old layout and there will be no complaints because I'll find some new convenience I like, I always do.

WiiCubeM1
Yep. I've been using it for a few months already, so I'm already used to it.
#37 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
I guess it looks nicer...
#38 Posted by the_phenom_ (2992 posts) -
HUGE Nay. These layouts seem to always get worse and worse
#39 Posted by CountBleck12 (22649 posts) -

I hate it... yet there is nothing we can do and that "give feedback" crap won't matter anyway.

#40 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
The old one. And I mean the one that was around years ago.
#41 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
meh, got used to it already.
#42 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

I hate it... yet there is nothing we can do and that "give feedback" crap won't matter anyway.

CountBleck12
btw who made your sig? It's ultra-sexy :o
#43 Posted by lloveLamp (2890 posts) -
this is their best versio yet
#44 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
It only takes like half of my screen up...But the player is a lot smoother and faster. The old player used to get stuck and glitch all the time for me.
#45 Posted by gameofthering (10126 posts) -
#46 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

Doesn't look too bad, so I don't mind it.

#47 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

WiiCubeM1

It can get annoying but this time I agree 100% with the complaint. It's just bad all around and a lot of the issues from before are still here and haven't been fixed; I'm not saying go onto every video and complain but this time I understand completely and can definitely get behind the complaints this time.

#48 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -
#49 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

What can I say. I'm tired of getting updates that makes me "get used to it", rather than impress me. No other site in my personal experience has been so drawn toward disappointment in aesthetic appeal, function, and feature handling. & on such a recurring level at that. Google, in combination with their bs force feeding services, has miraculously made it even more annoying. Who'd thought that to be possible. In any case, I'll "get used to it" soon enough.

#50 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
If I move my desk 3 feet to the right it looks ok.