New York ranks last in personal freedom

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Click here. Sorry for all of my NY OTers

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Cool place to visit though.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Wonder what OTliberals think of this

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
NYC is still the best city in the country.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
NYC is still the best city in the country.lo_Pine
It is a great city, even if it does rank low in personal freedoms.. That's why you go there for a week vacation and live it up.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
"North Dakota was ranked as the most free state, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma." lol So I guess your options are "be really free in a really dull state" or "put up with high taxes and some stupid laws to live somewhere much better"
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah, i can't lie.

i'm pretty  tempted to load up a u-haul full of cigarettes and sell them for cheap on the streets.

i wouldn't really do it because it is illegal and organized crime is already all over that market but man... the money to be made buying cartons for $45 and selling them for $140 is just insane.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]"North Dakota was ranked as the most free state, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma." lol So I guess your options are "be really free in a really dull state" or "put up with high taxes and some stupid laws to live somewhere much better"

Exactly. Republicans want to keep all the things that are killing people legal so the poor, stupid people who consume these things die off and they have to support them. Just like healthcare.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]"North Dakota was ranked as the most free state, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma." lol So I guess your options are "be really free in a really dull state" or "put up with high taxes and some stupid laws to live somewhere much better"

It's always a balancing act between personal freedoms (at least from the government angle), pragmatic solutions, and one's definition of meaningful freedom.

FDA regulation, for example, decreases freedom from the government but prevents people from getting sick and dying from dangerous consumables. Likewise, gun regulation decrease freedom from the government but many people don't place those freedoms on a high priority. There's also the sticky situation in which people's freedom can be impeded by entities other than the government.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

"The study had a catch-all category dubbed Bachelor Party Freedom. It weighed the amount of restriction on gambling, drugs, tobacco, liquor, marijuana, prostitution and fireworks. The study found New York to be a major buzzkill. Tobacco laws are extremely strict, and cigarette taxes are the highest in the country, encouraging the growth of a dangerous black market, the study said." Lol! Damn restrictions on prostitution and drugs = less freedom for NY

Tragic to be ranked last by one university studies with major emphasis on taxes.

NY has taxes. Surprise

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Gay marriage being legal is about the only liberal thing I can think of about New York. For whatever reason both sides of the spectrum in the US are really authoritarian except for the Libertarians who actually aren't a significant portion of the population despite how much they yell, they're kinda like atheists in that way.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NEWMAHAY

kingkong0124

outside of NYC and Ithaca, NY is conservative btw

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

kingkong0124
Interesting question and curious about how they will spin it?
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Hmm, well here is a link to the actual report for any inclined enough to skim through it: link

Freedom is a nebulous concept. While it tries to show how restrictive some states are in comparison to others by various factors, it doesn't do a good job of defining what it is in lieu of describing privileges citizens are entitled to and how they are restricted in those states.

I thinks it's funny how the more "freedom" a state has the less I want to live there.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
I don't know if one would classify me as an "american liberal", but fvck Bloomberg for being such an authoritarian cvnt.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Must be because its so Democrat.

[spoiler] I kid!I kid! [/spoiler]

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NEWMAHAY
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

WhiteKnight77

Did you even read the study?
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

wah! I can't have my 2 leter coke!

This is the largest injustice since slavery!

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ace6301
I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SirWander

wah! I can't have my 2 leter coke!

This is the largest injustice since slavery!

MakeMeaSammitch

Just wait until they try and take your liters bro, it hasn't even begun :p

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?Ace6301
doesn't that state have one of the highest suicide rates?

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhiteKnight77
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

NEWMAHAY

No study was posted at the time I posted my reply. The fact that NY's population is decreasing and has by at least 9% seems to show that what is going on in NY isn't keeping them happy enough to stay there.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?MakeMeaSammitch

It looks pretty high but not anywhere near Alaska or Montana. Maybe it used to be higher and now all that's left is the happy people? That may explain why it's so barren.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NEWMAHAY
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]Interesting question and curious about how they will spin it?WhiteKnight77

No

I could tell
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
but fvck Bloomberg for being such an authoritarian cvnt. Rich3232
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?Ace6301

It looks pretty high but not anywhere near Alaska or Montana. Maybe it used to be higher and now all that's left is the happy people? That may explain why it's so barren.

Yeah, but comparing it to Alaska is unfair. They see little sunlight for months at a time, live in very cold conditions for half of the year, and deal with Sarah Palin.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WhiteKnight77
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"][QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"] Did you even read the study?

No

I could tell

Typical of OT liberals to take what was said out of context. No study is posted or was posted and the website showing what states have the best and worst personal freedoms shows that most of the liberal states are also the ones with the least amount of personal liberties. Gee, with all the talk about inclusiveness and acceptance, they really go out of their way to not make people feel welcome or free.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
so says a right wing rag like the NY Post, it's like printed FoxNews I'd say NYC's stop and frisk policy deserves more mention than ban on oversized sugary drinks, that's what we call white peoples problems.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?Ace6301
Yeah, it exists. I was born there and lived in a few cities there earlier in my life.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Not surprised.....
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]doesn't that state have one of the highest suicide rates?mattbbpl

Yeah, but comparing it to Alaska is unfair. They see little sunlight for months at a time, live in very cold conditions for half of the year, and deal with Sarah Palin.

Sounds similar to North Dakota, minus Sarah Palin.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Would still prefer to live there instead of some backwoods fly-over state no one cares about.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NEWMAHAY

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]No WhiteKnight77
I could tell

Typical of OT liberals to take what was said out of context. No study is posted or was posted and the website showing what states have the best and worst personal freedoms shows that most of the liberal states are also the ones with the least amount of personal liberties. Gee, with all the talk about inclusiveness and acceptance, they really go out of their way to not make people feel welcome or free.

out of context. I asked you a question. Did you read the study? Your answer was no but you can keep making assumptions about all the liberals and all the conservatives if you want. You can also call me a liberal because you clearly assumed it (based on me asking you a question about reading the study).

I had no idea strict laws on gambling, prostitution, and drugs were great ways to knock on personal freedom on NY. For you to say "how they will spin it?", I ASSUMED you know a little something about to study to make a claim (but it seems like you just read the title of the article and assumed things).

Shame on me then.

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts
Growing up in New York (the state, not the city), this does not surprise me. I came from a county with some of the highest property taxes in the nation. And the education system is literally dictated by outdated regents exams that every other state abandoned (for good reason).
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="lamprey263"] I'd say NYC's stop and frisk policy deserves more mention than ban on oversized sugary drinks, that's what we call white peoples problems.

Yes, because only white people consume soft drinks. Not to mention they're only a third of the city's population.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Typical of OT liberals to take what was said out of context. No study is posted or was posted and the website showing what states have the best and worst personal freedoms shows that most of the liberal states are also the ones with the least amount of personal liberties. Gee, with all the talk about inclusiveness and acceptance, they really go out of their way to not make people feel welcome or free.WhiteKnight77

Liberals and conservatives have a different philosophy on freedom.

If you don't believe me, look at what type of countries are generally on top of the "freest countries" lists. For a conservative, they'll probably puke at all the "restrictions" those countries "impose" on their people.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Considering NYC wanted to outlaw sodas/sugary drinks greater than 16oz, no sh!t.  Also the new gun control law basically banning hand guns

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#38 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

>wanting to live in NYC

lel

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I'm surprised Tennessee made it as one of "most free", I mean I saw this a while back, talks about Tennessee hgihway patrol taking money from drivers under the guise of suspicion of money being used for drug money, they're just taking normal citizens money though, because when it comes to their end game, there's always a significant percentage of citizens that won't take the right actions to get that money back, meaning money for the agencies, they're basically shaking down citizens for money to fatten their own pockets. I also saw specials that talk about Kentucky being just as bad.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SirWander

Typical of OT liberals to take what was said out of context. No study is posted or was posted and the website showing what states have the best and worst personal freedoms shows that most of the liberal states are also the ones with the least amount of personal liberties. Gee, with all the talk about inclusiveness and acceptance, they really go out of their way to not make people feel welcome or free.WhiteKnight77

Are you an idiot or just willingly ignorant to the most possible extreme, I posted a link to the site where the study is hosted. Don't think it's a study; too bad it's not your call to make. And stop talking with broad generalizations, it only makes you look all the more foolish when you are proven wrong.

We are thrilled to release the new edition of the Freedom in the 50 States study...Roman Hardgrave

source

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?gamerguru100
Yeah, it exists. I was born there and lived in a few cities there earlier in my life.

I must document this finding.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]I've still never met anyone from North Dakota. Which is odd because I drove through it...or at least I think I drove through it? Does it even actually exist?Ace6301

I must document this finding.

lol
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WhiteKnight77

out of context. I asked you a question. Did you read the study? Your answer was no but you can keep making assumptions about all the liberals and all the conservatives if you want. You can also call me a liberal because you clearly assumed it (based on me asking you a question about reading the study).

I had no idea strict laws on gambling, prostitution, and drugs were great ways to knock on personal freedom on NY. For you to say "how they will spin it?", I ASSUMED you know a little something about to study to make a claim (but it seems like you just read the title of the article and assumed things).

Shame on me then.

NEWMAHAY
Out of context is right as I stated:
No study was posted at the time I posted my reply.me
I quoted KK and more or less asking him how the liberals of OT would spin this. You interjected yourself into that conversation. I have now seen that study and replied in kind. Laws about drugs, prostitution and gambling are in place everywhere. That argument is baseless. It is the other laws that show how few freedoms there are in NY. Strict gun laws that prevent law abiding citizens the ability to purchase what they would like is just the tip of the iceberg. Large sodas in NYC being banned (and rightly overturned) is just another example. NY is just digging that hole deeper and will eventually be a state large in area, but small in population, much like Texas or Montana if they keep up the way they are going with such restrictive laws.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] It looks pretty high but not anywhere near Alaska or Montana. Maybe it used to be higher and now all that's left is the happy people? That may explain why it's so barren.

Sounds similar to North Dakota, minus Sarah Palin.

We may have identified the difference maker...
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]Typical of OT liberals to take what was said out of context. No study is posted or was posted and the website showing what states have the best and worst personal freedoms shows that most of the liberal states are also the ones with the least amount of personal liberties. Gee, with all the talk about inclusiveness and acceptance, they really go out of their way to not make people feel welcome or free.SirWander

Are you an idiot or just willingly ignorant to the most possible extreme, I posted a link to the site where the study is hosted. Don't think it's a study; too bad it's not your call to make. And stop talking with broad generalizations, it only makes you look all the more foolish when you are proven wrong.

We are thrilled to release the new edition of the Freedom in the 50 States study...Roman Hardgrave

source

You posted that link after I posted.  And you failed to read where I said I did read it as well as tell you about the 9% decrease in population due to what NY is up to. I read both the article and the link you posted 7 minutes after I made my post.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NEWMAHAY

Laws about drugs, prostitution and gambling are in place everywhere. That argument is baseless.WhiteKnight77
Not according to the study

Why did you assume I was a liberal? I am curious. Based on what?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

"North Dakota was ranked as the most free state, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma." lol So I guess your options are "be really free in a really dull state" or "put up with high taxes and some stupid laws to live somewhere much better"JML897

Much better? ND has something like 3% unemployment. It's ohviously a much better place to live than NY.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yes. It exists and it's cold.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
ND has Fargo (and the film), t3hrubikscube and it lacks Bloomberg so it's automatically better than NY