New York man mauled by tiger faces trespass charge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Aljosa23 (25891 posts) -

A man who was mauled by a Siberian tiger after jumping into the animal's den atNew York's Bronx zoo will be charged with criminal trespassing, New York City police said on Saturday.

David Villalobos, 25, was riding the zoo's elevated monorail Friday afternoon and leapt from a car, clearing a fence around the tiger enclosure, according to a statement from the zoo.

Villalobos was taken to a local hospital in critical condition, which was upgraded to stable later in the day, a spokeswoman for the Jacobi Medical Center said. She could provide no further information Saturday, at his family's request.

A law enforcement source, who did not wish to named, on Saturday confirmed a report that the man told police he had wanted to be "one with the tiger."

Zoo and fire officials said Villalobos received bites or puncture wounds on his arms, legs and shoulder during the roughly 10 minutes he was alone with the tiger.

"One leg was severely injured," said Frank Dwyer, a fire department spokesman.

In rescuing the man, the zoo's emergency workers used a fire extinguisher to repel the tiger, then ordered the man to roll under an electrified perimeter wire to safety. The staff had been prepared to use deadly force if necessary, zoo director Jim Breheny told a televised news conference on Friday.

"If not for the quick response by our staff and their ability to perform well in emergency situations, the outcome would have been very different," the zoo director said.

The tiger involved is an 11-year-old, 400lb male named Bachuta, Breheny said. The director said the zoo would review the incident but would not put the tiger down or take it out of the exhibit.

Breheny said the incident was "just an extraordinary event that happened because somebody was trying to endanger themselves."

"The tiger did nothing wrong in this case at all," he said.

In July, tigers at a zoo in Copenhagen killed a man who scaled a fence and crossed a moat to get into their den, and wolves at Sweden's largest zoo killed a zookeeper in their enclosure in June.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/22/bronx-zoo-man-tiger-trespass

LOL what a dumbass. Glad to hear the tiger won't be getting put down.

#2 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Good to see that for once the idiot is getting punished and not the adorable kitty

#3 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
damn, that tiger has a good lawyer.
#4 Posted by Kickinurass (3357 posts) -

Sounds like natural selection was par the course, until the zoo staff got involved.

Glad no one is faulting the tiger, though.

#5 Posted by ExoticAnimal (39796 posts) -
Good to hear that the tiger will not be put down. Seriously, what was the guy thinking by doing that?
#6 Posted by JohnF111 (14107 posts) -

Good to see that for once the idiot is getting punished and not the adorable kitty

TheFallenDemon
Yeah was going to post the same thing but "adorable"... Yeah maybe that's why the guy trespassed in the first place :lol: Nice to know the Tiger won't be burned at the stake because of this, I came in here far expecting the tiger to have been killed in rescuing an idiot whom god chose to punish and take into his glorious palace(mauled to death).
#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

What a dumbass. Glad nothing will happen to the tiger.

#8 Posted by SteverXIII (3829 posts) -
You mess with the bull, you get the horns
#9 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34287 posts) -

damn, that tiger has a good lawyer.LoG-Sacrament

I heard its lawyer was ggggggggREEEAAAT!

#10 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15672 posts) -
Finally a case where an animal wasn't punished for an idiotic human going inside their pens
#11 Posted by WiiMan21 (8189 posts) -

Funny thing, the guy who went into the cage doesn't regret his dicisions either. :P

#12 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4146 posts) -

I just love the word mauled. Also I'm glad he's being punished and not the tiger.

#13 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I'm kind of neutral on whether the guy should be charged, I mean...I would think he learned his lesson, but I'm very happy the tiger won't be getting put down, after all he did nothing wrong.

#14 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]damn, that tiger has a good lawyer.DJ-Lafleur

I heard its lawyer was ggggggggREEEAAAT!

tony the tiger Pictures, Images and Photos indeed
#15 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

You mess with the bull, you get the hornsSteverXIII

At least get the damn animal right, Steve.

siberian-tiger_707_600x450.jpg

#16 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I'm kind of neutral on whether the guy should be charged, I mean...I would think he learned his lesson, but I'm very happy the tiger won't be getting put down, after all he did nothing wrong.

TacticalDesire
Same. He already got Rodney King'd by a cat, I wouldn't throw in the charge.
#17 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

I feel the guy should get charged (not a felony), but not punished beyond community service.

The mauling I feel is enough of a puishment for his idiocy.

#18 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...
#19 Posted by sSubZerOo (43952 posts) -
.... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud..
#20 Posted by Aljosa23 (25891 posts) -

My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...The-Apostle
He didn't die, though.

#21 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
.... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. sSubZerOo
I think it's necessary. After all, you can't charge him for public stupidity...
#22 Posted by sSubZerOo (43952 posts) -
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. The-Apostle

But he already was punished by.. You know.. Getting mauled..
#23 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...Aljosa23

He didn't die, though.

Give him an honorary one then?
#24 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. sSubZerOo

I say the courts should punish him for the lulz....
#25 Posted by Aljosa23 (25891 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...The-Apostle

He didn't die, though.

Give him an honorary one then?

Naw, bro. You gotta go big or go home.

#26 Posted by moneymatterz (1139 posts) -

Good riddance. One less Obama voter.

#27 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -
:lol: I love cats.
#28 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

moneymatterz
That only counts if he dies... >_>
#29 Posted by DavesAlt (950 posts) -
[QUOTE="moneymatterz"]

The-Apostle
That only counts if he dies... >_>

how funny Ha ha
#30 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. sSubZerOo

That's like saying he was already punished by feeling guilty.

#31 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...The-Apostle
You have to die and not have any biological children to qualify.

#32 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6861 posts) -
This is good news.
#33 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6122 posts) -

At first, I was like:

.... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. sSubZerOo
Then I read this
he had wanted to be "one with the tiger."Aljosa23

#34 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]My title was better... >_> I still say he deserves a Darwin Award...BuryMe

You have to die and not have any biological children to qualify.

Fine... Future Darwin Award recipient. As in, he'll probably do something else to get himself killed before having kids. >_>
#35 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

How does the result of his stupity take away from the crime he committed? Him being mauled was the tiger's punishment to him, not the laws.

#36 Posted by sonicare (53607 posts) -

What would possess a man to jump into a tiger cage?

#37 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15672 posts) -

sonicare
Maybe he wanted to recreate the "Wizard of OZ" moment, and already seen the lions, and bears?
#38 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10934 posts) -
I'm glad the tiger is fine, and that they only used fire extinguishers to scare him away.
#39 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

sonicare

supposedly, to be one with it.

#40 Posted by DavesAlt (950 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].... Is the charge really necessary? He got mauled for crying out loud.. Pirate700

How does the result of his stupity take away from the crime he committed? Him being mauled was the tiger's punishment to him, not the laws.

I can only imagine how he would be rewarded and apologized to if this happened in California.
#41 Posted by Darthkaiser (12447 posts) -
One with the tiger what an ass
#42 Posted by GazaAli (23614 posts) -
Normal course of action really. The man caused such worry and disturbance to many people, including the zoo staff and the rescue workers. Time and money have been wasted for the man's stunt so yea I understand the administration's legal actions.
#43 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

So if someone breaks into your home and you kick their ass they shouldn't be criminally charged?

#44 Posted by 67gt500 (4623 posts) -
In addition, a charge of 'being an unmitigated idiot' seems appropriate as well...