New Pope Goes Off on Capitalism

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzoWdRMl4Jk

What are your thoughts of this new liberal pope?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

Sounds less Liberal and more Christian to me

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

@Ace6301 said:

Sounds less Liberal and more Christian to me

Yeah, Republican voting Christian fundies are mad hypocritical.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

it's funny how the catholic church keeps saying that what he says doesn't reflect their views. isn't the guy supposed to be in direct communication with God?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ace6301

@Jimn_tonic said:

it's funny how the catholic church keeps saying that what he says doesn't reflect their views. isn't the guy supposed to be in direct communication with God?

Also the Catholic church is supposed to worship a dude who told people to give their wealth to others, treat everyone right regardless of where they came from, and to live without excess.

Things the Catholic church has been really bad at for a couple hundred years.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

I'm not Catholic, but I really, really like Francis. He's such a nice step away from Ratzinger. He really appears genuine, too.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

There seems to be an enormous split about this guy. In one camp (generally the younger camp), I hear a lot of people say that they find his focus refreshing. In the other camp, I hear a lot of people claim they hate him because, "he's going against the teaching's of Jesus by not focusing on homosexuality and abortion."

Regardless, I'm surprised at his specificity. Rather than lay out vague platitudes and dictates, he's discussing specific policies and issues (at least from his perspective). I mean, everyone will nod in agreement at a comment like, "We need to care about the least among us," but I imagine he'll get some grief from large numbers of people over this.

He's got some guts, I have to give him that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Awwww, is that so Poppy? Good for you.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I am not going to put myself through six and a half minutes of The Young Turks, so I'll just say that I don't see why anyone should care about Francis's opinion on economic matters.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace6301

@Barbariser said:

I am not going to put myself through six and a half minutes of The Young Turks, so I'll just say that I don't see why anyone should care about Francis's opinion on economic matters.

Because much like everyone else he may actually have a point worth hearing.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I don't agree with him nor is it that simple but I respect him: He's pretty chill for a Pope, and he's definitely not hypocritical. If you didn't know, Popes are well off but the current Pope lives modestly.

I did say he was liberal on social issues, but I was mistaken. He's still conservative with a few liberal stances but that's expected for the Catholic Pope.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

It takes a LOT of money to run the Vatican, but hey, capitalism bad right?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Did anyone actually read the encyclical or do they just quote the media who also hasn't read the encyclical? Having read the encyclical he's not opposed to capitalism nor the free market but rather says that our resources should be used to help the poor. Any form of government whether that be one founded on capitalistic principles or otherwise must be regulated in a way that ensures that the poor are not oppressed. Our focus should not be in the unlimited gain of our personal wealth but rather a recognition that ultimately that wealth does not belong to us, rather to God. As such we should share that wealth in an intelligent and charitable way. He isn't opposed to people being wealth or making money so long as, as a society, we help those who are less fortunate in an adequate way.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

Did anyone actually read the encyclical or do they just quote the media who also hasn't read the encyclical? Having read the encyclical he's not opposed to capitalism nor the free market but rather says that our resources should be used to help the poor. Any form of government whether that be one founded on capitalistic principles or otherwise must be regulated in a way that ensures that the poor are not oppressed. Our focus should not be in the unlimited gain of our personal wealth but rather a recognition that ultimately that wealth does not belong to us, rather to God. As such we should share that wealth in an intelligent and charitable way. He isn't opposed to people being wealth or making money so long as, as a society, we help those who are less fortunate in an adequate way.

He's a goddamn commie atheist thats for sure. Jerry Falwell should be the pope.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ferrari2001

@leviathan91 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

He's a goddamn commie atheist thats for sure. Jerry Falwell should be the pope.

Technically the Pope is a monarch.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl

@ferrari2001 said:

I have (at least the portions regarding the topic mentioned here). I considered pointing out that he seems to be condemning the attempt to continually move towards a more free, unregulated market, but decided that was implied (since basically every major economy on the planet uses capitalism as a base).

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

funny that anyone would get excited over the pope saying something that should be patently obvious to any practicing christian....

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ferrari2001

@mattbbpl said:

@ferrari2001 said:

I have (at least the portions regarding the topic mentioned here). I considered pointingout that he seems to be condemning the attempt to continually move towards a more free, unregulated market, but decided that was implied (since basically every major economy on the planet uses capitalism as a base).

Yep he definitely supports a well and responsibly regulated market. However he also points out many times that the free will of the people must also be protected. Many of his ideals that he lays out in the document are not, I think, actually possible to obtain but they are something that we can at least strive for.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mattbbpl

@comp_atkins said:

funny that anyone would get excited over the pope saying something that should be patently obvious to any practicing christian....

The weird mixing of social and economic issues in the US have kind of gotten a large segment of the Christian population in that region to associate free market capitalism with Christianity. That tie seems to be coming undone a bit in the younger generations, though.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Makhaidos:

That's silly. Francis has said that he admires Benedict XVI numerous times.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whipassmt

@Jimn_tonic said:

Not really. The Pope is guided by the Holy Spirit and can infallibly define dogmas on faith and morals, but he only does so rarely.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@whipassmt said:

The Pope is guided by the Holy Spirit

I lol'd.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makhaidos

@whipassmt said:

@Makhaidos:

It's one thing to admire and quite another to emulate.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 whipassmt

@mattbbpl said:

There seems to be an enormous split about this guy. In one camp (generally the younger camp), I hear a lot of people say that they find his focus refreshing. In the other camp, I hear a lot of people claim they hate him because, "he's going against the teaching's of Jesus by not focusing on homosexuality and abortion."

Regardless, I'm surprised at his specificity. Rather than lay out vague platitudes and dictates, he's discussing specific policies and issues (at least from his perspective). I mean, everyone will nod in agreement at a comment like, "We need to care about the least among us," but I imagine he'll get some grief from large numbers of people over this.

He has made pro-life statements while Pope. As far as not focusing on abortion and homosexuality, those are topics that are probably more obsessed over by Americans and other Westerners, and in general popes don't talk about those things that much. It's just what our media over here tend to pick up.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whipassmt

@Makhaidos said:

@whipassmt said:

@Makhaidos:

It's one thing to admire and quite another to emulate.

I'm unsure what you mean. He hasn't done anything radically different from Benedict XVI or John Paul II.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Pope Francis is an idiot.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins said:

The weird mixing of social and economic issues in the US have kind of gotten a large segment of the Christian population in that region to associate free market capitalism with Christianity. That tie seems to be coming undone a bit in the younger generations, though.

Yep. I like Christianity on its own merits, but it can get pretty ugly and contradictory when mixed with rightwing politics.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ace6301

@Laihendi said:

Yet he has more fame, notoriety and influence than you ever will. He's also probably passed on more money than you will ever come into. Maybe he's an idiot, never met the guy. What he's saying isn't idiotic though and his past doesn't give me any real indications of idiocy.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreySeal9

Laihendi doesn't even deserve to be compared to Pope Francis. I don't agree with a lot of what Pope Francis thinks, but he's worthy of respect whereas Laihendi is just some know-nothing kid with a childish worldview/philosophy.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ace6301

@GreySeal9 said:

Laihendi doesn't even deserve to be compared to Pope Francis. I probably don't agree with a lot of what Pope Francis thinks, but he's worthy of respect whereas Laihendi is an uneducated kid with a childish worldview/philosophy.

I wouldn't say its really a comparison so much as straight up unabashed mockery.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@Laihendi said:

You should really finish up that book and get it on the market. Otherwise people might start to think you're just an idiotic kid who's all talk but no substance.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ace6301
@worlock77 said:

@Laihendi said:

You should really finish up that book and get it on the market. Otherwise people might start to think you're just an idiotic kid who's all talk but no substance.

Self publishing a book isn't going to change that.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Makhaidos

@Ace6301 said:
@worlock77 said:

@Laihendi said:

Self publishing a book isn't going to change that.

If anything, it'll just confirm it for the masses.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

@whipassmt said:

@mattbbpl said:

He has made pro-life statements while Pope. As far as not focusing on abortion and homosexuality, those are topics that are probably more obsessed over by Americans and other Westerners, and in general popes don't talk about those things that much. It's just what our media over here tend to pick up.

Oh, I'm not arguing. That's just the perception that one of the camps has. I was merely describing the split that I'm seeing.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Lol can't wait for some right wing lunnie to label him a Communist.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreySeal9

@chaplainDMK said:

Lol can't wait for some right wing lunnie to label him a Communist.

Sarah Palin all ready made some comment about him making "liberal statements." She apologized for it, but still...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

HE might as well be declared as attacking capitalism when looking at the United States.. We basically have large portions of the Christian population being preached to by a select few popular speakers suggesting that material success is the goal.. We also have a entrenched extreme in one of the parties that wears their religion on their sleeves while attacking the poor class in classifying them as drains to every body else and lazy. In their minds this is exactly that, because the garnering of wealth basically has turned from what you suggest, to what ever the costs.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl

@sSubZerOo said:

@ferrari2001 said:

HE might as well be declared as attacking capitalism when looking at the United States.. We basically have large portions of the Christian population being preached to by a select few popular speakers suggesting that material success is the goal.. We also have a entrenched extreme in one of the parties that wears their religion on their sleeves while attacking the poor class in classifying them as drains to every body else and lazy. In their minds this is exactly that, because the garnering of wealth basically has turned from what you suggest, to what ever the costs.

That has even entered the mainstream discourse when discussing businesses. There is no shortage of those who believe that companies have no responsibility but to earn the highest profit possible even if it means their workers toil in poverty and they cause external damage/costs by their actions.

We still teach business ethics, but we really just give it lip service while claiming that policies meant to curb these shortcomings (like the minimum wage and environmental regulation) just get in the way and prevent further profit making.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Granted I don't view the Pope as an authority figure on pretty much ANYTHING, its a bit refreshing to see the new one mix it up a bit with a little controversy. Gives me a little tickle to see some conservatives getting squeamish as he says some of these things.

Although it doesn't take a brainiac to see that completely unregulated capitalism, ala Ayn Rand style, is quite opposite to the main teachings of the NT.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By whipassmt

@GreySeal9 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins said:

Yep. I like Christianity on its own merits, but it can get pretty ugly and contradictory when mixed with rightwing politics.

Or leftwing politics for that matter.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins said:

Or leftwing politics for that matter.

Or any politics really.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

I really like this new pope. He's definitely making a lot of progress.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

@Ace6301 said:

@Laihendi said:

Yet he has more fame, notoriety and influence than you ever will. He's also probably passed on more money than you will ever come into.

None of these things are actually signs of intelligence. The Pope is an idiot... and not incidentally most of his followers are as well.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 worlock77

@Laihendi said:

@Ace6301 said:

@Laihendi said:

Yet he has more fame, notoriety and influence than you ever will. He's also probably passed on more money than you will ever come into.

None of these things are actually signs of intelligence. The Pope is an idiot... and not incidentally most of his followers are as well.

What exactly make Francis an idiot?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

If it wasn't for Capitalism they wouldn't be where they are today.................so what kind of shoes does Francis like? Prada or Gucci?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 worlock77

@X360PS3AMD05 said:

If it wasn't for Capitalism they wouldn't be where they are today.................so what kind of shoes does Francis like? Prada or Gucci?

If not for capitalism none of us would be where we're at today. Doesn't mean we can't comment on the negatives of it however.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Who pays attention to the Pope anymore?

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

@worlock77 said:

@Laihendi said:

What do you mean START to think, anyone who thinks atlas shrugged is good reading material is fvcking coo coo for coco puffs.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Almost as if he is saying that we need to take care of each other. I identify with Christianity, but I don't consider myself Catholic and despite that I really like the tone Pope Francis is striking. I don't believe you should allow some person millions of miles away who has never met you nor knows that you exist to direct the actions you take in life. However since many people do so I suggest picking a person who's main focus is to spread love and tolerance rather than someone who tries to tell you what is okay, and what sort of people you let into your little group.

All that being said I understand that I am agreeing with the new pope largely because he syncs up with my views making him little better than my choice of politician. I find it worth noting though that the reason I agree with his style is because it largely reflects the values I learned growing up in church which are not at all in sync with the extreme views that I see many talking about today.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

The Pope should start a new crusade!

Off with thee head Obama!