New Gamespot point system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by alcatraz5953 (71 posts) -

I was browsing through my profile and discovered the "legacy gamespot points", after a bit of research i discovered that it was the old point system used before the new site came out last year and that the new point system would have rolled out in the 1st quarter of this year.

Well, the 1st quarter has passed, and still no point system (or I could just be a complete noob and there is a new system and I just cant find it) I love the idea of a point system based on user activity, as well as like achievements unlocked and so on.

Is there any new about a point system or not yet?

#1 Posted by ferrari2001 (17265 posts) -

The gamespot developers move at about the speed of sap leaking out a tree. I'd expect a points system somewhere closer to the year 2020.

#2 Posted by alcatraz5953 (71 posts) -

@ferrari2001: Well thats not too bad, at least I'll still be somewhere in my 30s by the time it happens lol

#3 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10396 posts) -

They should of just kept the level system that we had before.

SW really benefited from it with that level 10 rule.

#4 Posted by Glitter (355 posts) -

My level on GameFAQ is 20, I do not know what my level would be on here if GameSpot still had the leveling system available. But I do notice that new users or people who signed up after the website redesign do not get points at all. I also thought badges be something people keep permanently years ago or rather I did not think about badges ever going away years ago when I was on here and those ended up going away. They sure did ruin this website and they are not making any progress for whatever reason I do not know and will probably never be able to understand.

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (90544 posts) -

They dumped almost everything that made Gamespot great so they could start from scratch with the basic code (because the geniuses behind the scenes couldn't seem to fix the bugs for almost 7 years) and made a lot of promises. None of which have really been delivered on since the "upgrade".

I like the layout of the new site better than the old, but the features are lame in comparison. I used to keep my games collection up to date on a weekly basis. I tried redoing after the switch and haven't looked back since. Nothing outside of posting to a thread works.

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74220 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

The gamespot developers move at about the speed of sap leaking out a tree. I'd expect a points system somewhere closer to the year 2020.

Yup, pretty much this. I would say expect levels, emblems, etc to come in 2020 at the earliest. The new html and php were rolled out way too early

#7 Edited by hoosier7 (3955 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

And the changes to the terms of use really killed SW, it's just a free for all now. Seriously what were GS thinking? Some of the changes must have really killed their traffic, forum goers are probably some of the more reliable and consistent people to pick up hits from.

#8 Edited by alcatraz5953 (71 posts) -

A point system really is a 'must' in my opinion. It just improves the all-round feel of a community, gives you a sense of place and makes you stand out among other community members. I've only been a member here for a week, but I can see myself being actively involved for many years to come still, so hopefully somewhere in these 'many years to come' the point system will make its return.

Edit: An upvote/like system would also be quite nice for forum comments/posts

#9 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

ha ha lol

#10 Edited by always_explicit (3057 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Thats not strictly true, it never hampered your ability to spout rubbish all over system wars.

#11 Edited by JimB (332 posts) -

@alcatraz5953: I am in my late sixties and will be dead before a new point system is in place.

#12 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

I do not have any points.

#13 Posted by alcatraz5953 (71 posts) -

@mercuria1_king: You wont have any points.

The point system was canned last year, we're still expecting the new system to be rolled out

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (90544 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

And the changes to the terms of use really killed SW, it's just a free for all now. Seriously what were GS thinking? Some of the changes must have really killed their traffic, forum goers are probably some of the more reliable and consistent people to pick up hits from.

You would be very surprised just how little forum traffic meant to GS. They justified dropping unions entirely because they got more traffic from comments in a front page news article than most unions did in a week.

But then they forgot to mention that they promised to bring unions up to date since 2005 and never did, and they wonder why union traffic dropped off and people left the website for their own dedicated forums.

It was a very dumb move, especially considering there is still problems.

#15 Posted by TAMKFan (32866 posts) -

I do remember that a new point system was promised. It's already been close to a year now since the new site and still nothing. I liked the incentive that the points system had to it.

#16 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28274 posts) -

"Do you want the "last read post" button to return?"

"YES"

"..."

#17 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

@alcatraz5953 said:

The point system was canned last year, we're still expecting the new system to be rolled out

Does anyone know when they will roll it out?

#18 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@mercuria1_king said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

They were supposed to come out within a few weeks of the new site design (around the time I joined) but it has yet to happen and we haven't heard anything since

#19 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -
@vl4d_l3nin said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

They were supposed to come out within a few weeks of the new site design (around the time I joined) but it has yet to happen and we haven't heard anything since

I wonder why they haven't said anything about it since the new site design. Was the old site design bad?

#20 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@mercuria1_king: It looked fine by me..the only reason why I didn't join was because they banned you for pretty much anything back then. The main problem now is that the site is real slow, and there are some glitches. As other people have said, they rolled out the new design too early.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (90544 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

"Do you want the "last read post" button to return?"

"YES"

"..."

I still can't believe that hasn't been added in. You'd think it would be fairly easy to implement. With the "simpler code" and everything.

#22 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@mercuria1_king: It looked fine by me..the only reason why I didn't join was because they banned you for pretty much anything back then. The main problem now is that the site is real slow, and there are some glitches. As other people have said, they rolled out the new design too early.

Have they given a time table of when they will fix the glitches and other things? Or have they kept us in the dark with that as well?

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (90544 posts) -

@mercuria1_king said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Have they given a time table of when they will fix the glitches and other things? Or have they kept us in the dark with that as well?

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.

#24 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.

I guess that's a no.

#25 Posted by harry_james_pot (11160 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

I don't recall anyone saying within weeks. It was more like "in the coming months."

@mercuria1_king said:
I wonder why they haven't said anything about it since the new site design. Was the old site design bad?

Well, the "design" itself was good, but the underlying code was a disaster. The site has been only getting visual updates while the code remained the same, so it was getting really hard to deal with.. When they added new features or changed anything, more things broke. The few bugs we have now are simply nothing compared to what we had before.