Need recipes for cooking all next week - what are your favs OT?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -

So far I got:

Tater tot casserole

Chesse grits

Chicken and Waffles

Please, no baking recipes (like cakes, rolls, scones, women type garbage), I want stuff I can cook and have been at IU eating crap food for so long! Home cooked food is all I want for the next week!

#2 Posted by muller39 (14949 posts) -

Homemade pizza and lasagna.

#3 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

nothing wrong with a nice steak. seasoned and cooked to your choosing.

make your own burger. get some ground beef, then mix in any seasonings and things you want. i usually mix in some chopped bacon,chopped jalapenos, shredded cheese, worcerstershire sauce, salt, pepper, some seasonings. then when its done, i top it with slice of cheese, sliced jalapenos and some more bacon. ketchup and mayo. so fvcking good.

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -
Chesse grits? that sounds gross! ;p Make some chili, lady.
#5 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -
Salsa Scrambled Eggs o3o
#6 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Yick.

You're just going to buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store and some eggos, aren't you? None of that is really cooking, and tater tot casserole is a heart attack in a dish. None of this is 'from scratch' type cooking, it sounds like throwing together a bunch of stuff you bought at the store and calling it cooking, none of that is 'home cooked' besides the fact that it was prepared (partially) in your home.

Go on youtube and search foods that you like and find recipes for them. Cooking is really not THAT hard, and nor is baking. Baking is not 'feminine', baking is actually more difficult than cooking because it requires you to be far more precise and leaves less room for error.

Do you own a crock pot? If not, go buy one. You can make soup, chili, spaghetti and other sauces, roasts, pulled pork or beef and all sorts of stuff in it and it requires next to no effort and very little time. They're 20 bucks, go get one.

#7 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2793 posts) -

Wow I gotta say, I am not one that usually complains about food but since I hadn't heard about any of those 3 mentioned in the original post, I went ahead and googled it...

What the hell?

First I googled tater tots casserole and I see deep fried potatoes mixed with crap loads of cheese
Then I googled cheese grit and it seems to be a massive amount of cheese combined with some other stuff?
The third one, the chicken waffle, I was actually kinda excited about this because I was expecting something yummy because I thought to myself: "surely it's not actually what the name implies?" and I see the wikipedia picture. Waffles... Syrup... Whipped cream? And ****** chicken?

It sounds as the leftovers on Mr Creosote's shirt in the first seconds of this video...

#8 Posted by muller39 (14949 posts) -

Wow I gotta say, I am not one that usually complains about food but since I hadn't heard about any of those 3 mentioned in the original post, I went ahead and googled it...

What the hell?

First I googled tater tots casserole and I see deep fried potatoes mixed with crap loads of cheese
Then I googled cheese grit and it seems to be a massive amount of cheese combined with some other stuff?
The third one, the chicken waffle, I was actually kinda excited about this because I was expecting something yummy because I thought to myself: "surely it's not actually what the name implies?" and I see the wikipedia picture. Waffles... Syrup... Whipped cream? And ****** chicken?

It sounds as messy as the leftovers on Mr Creosote's shirt in the first seconds of this video...

xWoW_Rougex
I'm surprised he didn't put grilled cheese on his list.
#9 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

Yick.

Cooking is really not THAT hard, and nor is baking. Baking is not 'feminine', baking is actually more difficult than cooking because it requires you to be far more precise and leaves less room for error. <XilePrincess

^This :3 Baking is bamf you need to have everything measured correctly, you play with fire (in both cooking and baking) and you can be burned! Anyone who thinks cooking or baking is feminine is wrong and afraid of their own feminine side themselves o3o Also cooking isn't that hard from scratch all you have to do really is get into a recipe that you like and have fun with it. Add things you may like, experiment with it have some fun. Cut some veggies and make a chili :3 All you gotta do is get started! :D

EDIT:

Oh dear, if tater tot casserole is your idea of cooking might as well go buy some pizza bites instead.

#10 Posted by tenaka2 (17048 posts) -

Cream, bacon, fresh basil, pine nuts, pasta, onions, grated parmesan and garlic will make you a nice carbonara dish, pretty easy.

#11 Posted by johnd13 (8844 posts) -

Google some of Jamie Oliver' s recipes. That guy rocks!

#12 Posted by Detroit222 (5371 posts) -

Microwaveable cassorole dish. Spray a little Pam in the bottom. Take a potato (don't peel) and wash it until it looks clean (NO SOAP, just water). Cut it into bits about the size of your thumbnail. Add whatever spices you desire - I prefer seasoning, onion bits, salt and pepper. Put a few pads of butter on top. Microwave for about 5 minutes. Take it out. If the bits are still to hard, microwave for another minute or two. (You can also spinkle some cheese on top, if you have any also some ham, cut into bits.) Stir well. Eat. Simple dish but tasty. Real comfort food.

#13 Posted by tenaka2 (17048 posts) -

Microwaveable cassorole dish. Spray a little Pam in the bottom. Take a potato (don't peel) and wash it until it looks clean (NO SOAP, just water). Cut it into bits about the size of your thumbnail. Add whatever spices you desire - I prefer seasoning, onion bits, salt and pepper. Put a few pads of butter on top. Microwave for about 5 minutes. Take it out. If the bits are still to hard, microwave for another minute or two. (You can also spinkle some cheese on top, if you have any also some ham, cut into bits.) Stir well. Eat. Simple dish but tasty. Real comfort food.

Detroit222

Dear god...

#14 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Detroit222
Paula, is that you?
#15 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2793 posts) -

I'mma join in on suggestion a recipe though, it contains bearnaise which is pretty unhealthy as well! I am too lazy to write full instructions but you can google everything fairly easy!

Brined pork loin (google on how to brine pork loin!). Cook it.
Serve it with:
Grilled asparagus
a package of crayfish tails, or just a lobster tail
bearnaise sauce or a sauce choron (bearnaise + tomato puree)
optional: also add some form of potato dish, fries, a creamy potato cake, mashed potatoes...

It sounds pretty ordinary but the magic is how awesomely tender brined pork is, the slightly weird addition of crayfish/lobster tail and the tomato puree in the bearnaise sauce!

If you skip the potato dish, it's a dish that requires really little work. Although you have to prepare the pork loin many hours before, you can just place it in the oven when you're going to cook it. The only thing that requires some work is the bearnaise!

Dish also called Pork Oscar, a cheaper version of Veal Oscar!

#16 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -

Yick.

You're just going to buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store and some eggos, aren't you? None of that is really cooking, and tater tot casserole is a heart attack in a dish. None of this is 'from scratch' type cooking, it sounds like throwing together a bunch of stuff you bought at the store and calling it cooking, none of that is 'home cooked' besides the fact that it was prepared (partially) in your home.

Go on youtube and search foods that you like and find recipes for them. Cooking is really not THAT hard, and nor is baking. Baking is not 'feminine', baking is actually more difficult than cooking because it requires you to be far more precise and leaves less room for error.

Do you own a crock pot? If not, go buy one. You can make soup, chili, spaghetti and other sauces, roasts, pulled pork or beef and all sorts of stuff in it and it requires next to no effort and very little time. They're 20 bucks, go get one.

XilePrincess
No, I planned on pan frying the chicken and using my waffle maker for waffles, I am going to fallow Emiril's recipe! I've never had it and am really curious to try it!
#17 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
anything with lamb is heavenly
#18 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -
[QUOTE="Detroit222"]

XilePrincess
Paula, is that you?

My mom makes something like that, but it's scalloped potatoes and baked in the oven. I would never microwave all that unless I was in a hurry.
#19 Posted by themajormayor (25227 posts) -
I do for myself when I don't wanna spend so much time. Cook some pasta and egg white in the same pot. Then when it's finished just put olive oil, the egg yolk and season with pepper, oregano, parsil or whatever you want. No effort at all and taste great IMO.
#20 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]

Yick.

Cooking is really not THAT hard, and nor is baking. Baking is not 'feminine', baking is actually more difficult than cooking because it requires you to be far more precise and leaves less room for error. <TrainerCeleste

^This :3 Baking is bamf you need to have everything measured correctly, you play with fire (in both cooking and baking) and you can be burned! Anyone who thinks cooking or baking is feminine is wrong and afraid of their own feminine side themselves o3o Also cooking isn't that hard from scratch all you have to do really is get into a recipe that you like and have fun with it. Add things you may like, experiment with it have some fun. Cut some veggies and make a chili :3 All you gotta do is get started! :D

EDIT:

Oh dear, if tater tot casserole is your idea of cooking might as well go buy some pizza bites instead.

I'm making a tater tot casserole but with my own twist i.e. using lots of sauteed veges, italian sausage perhaps, and fresh grated cheese. MMMM!
#21 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

anything with lamb is heavenlyMrPraline

#22 Posted by heytheredarlin (869 posts) -

Chesse grits? that sounds gross! ;p Make some chili, lady.KiIIyou

Why you been callin' everyone lady, lady?

#23 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Chesse grits? that sounds gross! ;p Make some chili, lady.heytheredarlin

Why you been callin' everyone lady, lady?

I got tired of saying man.
#24 Posted by Cataclism (1537 posts) -
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"] Chicken and Waffles

This is a thing???
#25 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"] Chicken and WafflesCataclism
This is a thing???

Yep

#26 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

Please, no baking recipes (like cakes, rolls, scones, women type garbage)

-RocBoys9489-

women type garbage?

#27 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

I'm making a tater tot casserole but with my own twist i.e. using lots of sauteed veges, italian sausage perhaps, and fresh grated cheese. MMMM!-RocBoys9489-
BUT THE CALORIES! If it's anything like the google images theres sooo much cheese, and adding sausage to that mix too? o o and then more MORE cheese. Epic meal time that Shi- Also Baking is still a manly sport only the truly manly men can take. Can't handle it? Not a man obviously. Continue eating the man garbage of cheesey carbs.

#28 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]

Please, no baking recipes (like cakes, rolls, scones, women type garbage)

Oleg_Huzwog

women type garbage?

I took baking in highschool, I was the only guy in there (not necessarily a bad thing ;) ) and I HATED it! Too much room for error just for sweets, which I don't like.
#29 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]I'm making a tater tot casserole but with my own twist i.e. using lots of sauteed veges, italian sausage perhaps, and fresh grated cheese. MMMM!TrainerCeleste

BUT THE CALORIES! If it's anything like the google images theres sooo much cheese, and adding sausage to that mix too? o o and then more MORE cheese. Epic meal time that Shi- Also Baking is still a manly sport only the truly manly men can take. Can't handle it? Not a man obviously. Continue eating the man garbage of cheesey carbs.

It's Thanksgiving break, not exactly a time to eat healthy dude!
#30 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]I'm making a tater tot casserole but with my own twist i.e. using lots of sauteed veges, italian sausage perhaps, and fresh grated cheese. MMMM!-RocBoys9489-

Man garbage talk
#31 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] BUT THE CALORIES! If it's anything like the google images theres sooo much cheese, and adding sausage to that mix too? o o and then more MORE cheese. Epic meal time that Shi- Also Baking is still a manly sport only the truly manly men can take. Can't handle it? Not a man obviously. Continue eating the man garbage of cheesey carbs.TrainerCeleste

Man garbage talk

It's not like I'm fat, I'd say I'm pretty in shape w/ decent amount of muscle from free weights lol
#32 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -

lasagna.

muller39
Lasagna!
#33 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"]

lasagna.

Swanogt19
Lasagna!

Yes, homemade lasagna w/ some Fazoli's breadsticks sounds great!
#34 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -
anything with lamb is heavenlyMrPraline
But theyre so cute!
#35 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6336 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]anything with lamb is heavenlyCapitan_Kid
But theyre so cute!

Guess you've never ate a Gyro... MMMmmmm another idea!
#36 Posted by edgewalker16 (2286 posts) -

nothing wrong with a nice steak. seasoned and cooked to your choosing.

make your own burger. get some ground beef, then mix in any seasonings and things you want. i usually mix in some chopped bacon,chopped jalapenos, shredded cheese, worcerstershire sauce, salt, pepper, some seasonings. then when its done, i top it with slice of cheese, sliced jalapenos and some more bacon. ketchup and mayo. so fvcking good.

konvikt_17

I've found that putting a bit of Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, and salt on each side of the patty makes the taste 100% better. It's a marinade that takes less than a minute.