NBA: Most exciting players/teams to watch?

#1 Edited by Korvus (3328 posts) -

I know we have a Sports section but not only is it kind of dead but I'm an OT guy, and there's quite a few sports threads here so I hope the mod are nice to me and let this stay =P

So Portugal is a football country and that's pretty much all we had but recently I got the basketball bug, started watching NBA and I love it. Been watching some games from some different teams and those guys can do some exciting stuff. So for you NBA fans, who are the most exciting players/teams to watch? Doesn't matter if it's fancy passing, nasty crossovers or killer dunks, just give me names =D

So far I quite enjoy watching Rose (all 3 games before he injures himself again), Nate Robinson, Griffin ("Lob City" is quite a show), Chris Paul, LeBron has some nice stuff too (although his attitude annoys me) and a few others, but I'm sure there's plenty of exciting eyes to keep my eye on so your helps would be appreciated =D

#2 Edited by jasean79 (2362 posts) -

I wish you'd asked this question in the 90's when I actually enjoyed and followed the sport. I couldn't tell you any of the players in today's league, other than the few you mentioned. I miss the days of David Robinson on the Spurs, Reggie Miller on Pacers (who was my fave team at the time), Dominique Wilkins, etc. To me, it just seemed like the sport was more fun to watch at that time. Now, it just seems boring to me.

#3 Edited by byof_america (1352 posts) -

Do like Star Wars? Do you like Jedis? Do you like jedis using their force powers? If you answered yes to any of these then you'll like Ginobli the secret jedi.

Here's a video of him force punching Dwayne Wade in the face. Unfortunately for Ginobli, the ref new he was a secret jedi and called it.

#4 Edited by Korvus (3328 posts) -

@jasean79: Back in the 90's I didn't even have a TV XD Well, now I don't again but that's by choice and now I have a pc =P

@byof_america: That was a powerful swat; the air shifting was enough to air-slap Wade.

#5 Edited by ferrari2001 (16831 posts) -

There are absolutely no good NBA teams or players to watch. College on the other hand is a different story. They still actually play basketball instead of showboating for an hour.

#6 Posted by Korvus (3328 posts) -

@ferrari2001: Well, it's the showboating and displays of skill I'm interested in. Watching sports is boring otherwise; I prefer to go out there and play it myself.

#7 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26068 posts) -

Golden State and the Wizards are teams to keep an eye on.

#8 Edited by GamerForca (7079 posts) -

There are absolutely no good NBA teams or players to watch. College on the other hand is a different story. They still actually play basketball instead of showboating for an hour.

This is pretty much how I feel. It's all about isolation plays that allow the superstars to, as you said, showboat. There's not much defense; it's not real basketball (college teams play real basketball, but suffer from a huge lack of talent due to all the good players leaving for the NBA asap).

#9 Edited by elkoldo (1012 posts) -

I ain't no basketball watcher korvus, if someday you needed advice on football ,give me a signal ;)

#10 Edited by EPICCOMMANDER (442 posts) -

I occasionally watch the teams where former Kansas Jayhawks play on, like Darrell Arthur plays for the Nuggets, Ben McLemore is a starter (I believe) for the Kings, Kirk Hinrich plays for the Bulls, Paul Pierce of course, Thomas Robinson for the Trailblazers, and now of course I'll be watching Embiid and Wiggins. Usually, I just watch whatever game is on TV.

When none of those teams are on TV though, I watch primarily the Spurs because they do literally everything. They run the fastbreak, they pass, they make threes, they defend, they block shots, they make incredible plays, and their offense is 90% plays and very little, if any iso plays. Only when a play breaks down does the ball go to Parker or others to create a shot. The Clippers are indeed another good team to watch, and I've been surprised by the improvement of Blake Griffin who has made tremendous strides in his game, particularly his jumpshot, which is downright lethal at times.

#11 Posted by dave123321 (33826 posts) -

Spurs

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

I'm a fan of Heat(yeah, start the bashing). Been a fan of them since Wade got drafted and i've been sticking to them since that. I think they play awesome ball personally

#13 Edited by Aljosa23 (24777 posts) -

LOL College basketball. If I want to see point guards jack up threes and miss lay-ups, I'll go watch the high school team down the street.

Spurs

DING DING DING

#14 Posted by Seabas989 (10136 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

This is pretty much how I feel. It's all about isolation plays that allow the superstars to, as you said, showboat. There's not much defense; it's not real basketball (college teams play real basketball, but suffer from a huge lack of talent due to all the good players leaving for the NBA asap).

NBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> College Basketball.

#15 Posted by GamerForca (7079 posts) -

@GamerForca said:
@ferrari2001 said:

(for teenagers/younger fans)

#16 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (442 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@GamerForca said:
@ferrari2001 said:

In all fairness though, the playoffs this year were amazing. The Spurs almost lost to Dallas in the first round, there were like 20 OT games...It was a crazy post-season.

#17 Posted by Seabas989 (10136 posts) -

@GamerForca said:

@Seabas989 said:

@GamerForca said:
@ferrari2001 said:

In all fairness though, the playoffs this year were amazing. The Spurs almost lost to Dallas in the first round, there were like 20 OT games...It was a crazy post-season.

Not to mention the fact that the Spurs won this year, one and done's have hurt college basketball a lot, and college basketball in general has declined so much.

This year March Madness sucked.

#18 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36784 posts) -

I'm a fan of Heat(yeah, start the bashing). Been a fan of them since Wade got drafted and i've been sticking to them since that. I think they play awesome ball personally

With James, Wade and Bosh all opting out of their contracts
Could be interesting

#19 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

Coming from someone who gives zero f*cks about basketball (other than March Madness and that's only for the money), the only team that can hold my attention for more than a few minutes is the Clippers.

#20 Posted by Korvus (3328 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas: Will do.

@EPICCOMMANDER: Great. Already had my eye on some of them and will check out the rest.

@dave123321: @Aljosa23: Spurs, huh? Have to say that one was still flying under the radar but those guys did win it all this year, so I'll keep my eyes on them.

@The_Last_Ride: No bashing; I think they're quite a team ^_^

@LZ71: Yep, they sure have the "show" part down =D

Thank you all for the suggestions =D

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

They're going to have a lot of problems next season Wade, James, Bosh, Allen, Battier, Oden, etc all have expired contracts

#22 Posted by Korvus (3328 posts) -
#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@korvus said:

@The_Last_Ride: Guess we'll just have to see what happens.

True, unless they get someone like Anthony though

#24 Posted by yokofox33 (29402 posts) -

I'm a Heat fan, but the Spurs are just magnificent to watch. The team chemistry is just beautiful. The passing, execution, coaching. Brilliant.

The Heat are certainly exciting when they're running and lobbing passes, but the Spurs are a wonderful piece of art.

#25 Posted by Korvus (3328 posts) -

@yokofox33: Since everybody seemed to agree on the Spurs I went and watched game 5 of the NBA Finals; the Spurs really did great and the Heat seemed so lost and outmatched; wasn't expecting that. In the beginning, the Heat seemed to be relying only on LeBron and Bosh, but after half-time they seemed to just give up. And the Spurs, man...the fast, precise passing, the effortless 3's, the team chemistry...only thing they seemed to not have going on for them was the fastbreak...either they were bad it it or Miami is just that fast on stopping fastbreaks...