Native American logos and nicknames in sports

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves, Florida State Seminoles, North Dakota Fighting Sioux, Chicago Blackhawks, etc.

Do you find the use of Native American logos and nicknames to be offensive? Should teams be encouraged to change their names and logos? If they refuse, should change be forced? Should abolition of Native references not extend to teams with support from local tribes (i.e. Florida State has permission from the Seminole tribal leaders)?

#2 Posted by GamerPro1984 (818 posts) -
Their land was stolen long ago , im sure they dont care now. Keep the names!
#3 Posted by Def_Jef88 (17441 posts) -
Freedom of Speech, lolz...
#4 Posted by quiglythegreat (16886 posts) -
I think we should step it up. Like a football team named 'Civilization Europeans Systematically Raped and Exterminated with Deceit and Guns'. CESREDG. It'd be great.
#5 Posted by FragStains (20668 posts) -
I'm pretty sure that any name given to a sports team would offend at least 1 person in the world.
#6 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152415 posts) -
Indian is not a correct term and I'd think Redskins would definitely be offensive. The other names seem okay though.
#7 Posted by g-unit248 (7197 posts) -

having just lost our mascot, (the chief), ive actually experienced this, people were really offended, at least in our case, so i was a bit pissed to see him go but completely understand why it happened, but i think the Cleavland Indians logo is way more offensive

or...

#8 Posted by quiglythegreat (16886 posts) -
Indian is not a correct term and I'd think Redskins would definitely be offensive. The other names seem okay though. LJS9502_basic
A ton of Indians I've talked with don't mind the term "Indian" at all. It's not offensive, just erroneous.
#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152415 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Indian is not a correct term and I'd think Redskins would definitely be offensive. The other names seem okay though. quiglythegreat
A ton of Indians I've talked with don't mind the term "Indian" at all. It's not offensive, just erroneous.

Which is what I said....:|

#10 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

having just lost our mascot, (the chief)

g-unit248

U of Illinois?

#11 Posted by HillyBilly (31446 posts) -
I dont find it offensive, but then again I'm not Native American so perhaps my opinion isnt as valued.
#12 Posted by g-unit248 (7197 posts) -
[QUOTE="g-unit248"]

having just lost our mascot, (the chief)

Oleg_Huzwog

U of Illinois?

yup

#13 Posted by quiglythegreat (16886 posts) -

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Indian is not a correct term and I'd think Redskins would definitely be offensive. The other names seem okay though. LJS9502_basic

Hey, I've taken to not think you've said something unless you've spelled it out in very plain English.
#14 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152415 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Indian is not a correct term and I'd think Redskins would definitely be offensive. The other names seem okay though. quiglythegreat

Hey, I've taken to not think you've said something unless you've spelled it out in very plain English.

That was not very plain English? :|

#15 Posted by YeahYes (7128 posts) -
I wouldn't mind being a Native American.
#16 Posted by Palax (2399 posts) -
I'm a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Florida State Seminoles, and I would hate to see those names changed, but if Native Americans wanted to remove such names I would have no issues with that.
#17 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

I'm a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Florida State Seminoles, and I would hate to see those names changed, but if Native Americans wanted to remove such names I would have no issues with that.Palax

Huh? You would hate to see the names change but would have no issues with a name change? How does that work?

#18 Posted by leegar88 (5307 posts) -

[QUOTE="Palax"]I'm a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Florida State Seminoles, and I would hate to see those names changed, but if Native Americans wanted to remove such names I would have no issues with that.Oleg_Huzwog

Huh? You would hate to see the names change but would have no issues with a name change? How does that work?

He wouldn't like that they did it, but also wouldn't criticise them for it.

#19 Posted by nirvana563 (2913 posts) -

Their land was stolen long ago , im sure they dont care now. Keep the names!GamerPro1984

lol, meet one bro they care.

#20 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
no. they could make a team called the Dumb Pollocks and i wouldnt care(my family is of polish decent). they need to get over it.
#21 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

no. they could make a team called the Dumb Pollocks and i wouldnt care(my family is of polish decent). they need to get over it.LoG-Sacrament

What if the Dumb Pollocks were the name used by a public university that used YOUR tax dollars?

#22 Posted by nuclear_cookout (8617 posts) -
I've had enough of all the sensitivity and political correctness. Why should Native Americans be so offended by this? By using these names, we're essentially referring to them as great warriors. Why wouldn't they want that?
#23 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]no. they could make a team called the Dumb Pollocks and i wouldnt care(my family is of polish decent). they need to get over it.Oleg_Huzwog

What if the Dumb Pollocks were the name used by a public university that used YOUR tax dollars?

id buy a Dumb Pollock T-shirt and wear it proud.