Name a band (or bands) with awesome riffs.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Self-explanatory.

It is impressive when a band makes a spectacular riff, but a band that consistently makes spectacular riffs is even more impressive.

Aerosmith is my choice. Aerosmith's first four albums in the 70s were diabolical riff machines. Every song, every album had awesome riffs. They even have three of my favorite riffs like the dual-guitar riff of "Last Child", the infamous "Walk This Way", and the 'holier than thou' "Sweet Emotion."

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Why bother? it's a generational thing. The younger folks now will just say older stuff are overrated. Later on, the younger folks after them will say the music now is overrated. Never-ending cycle.

That said, I like some of Montrose's stuff (although it's from dad's era):

Loading Video...

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Led Zeppelin and Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits consistently made awesome riffs.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Can't go wrong with a bit of The Sword.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Iron Maiden

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Mother Mother - Hayloft

Loading Video...
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Pantera, Kansas, Jeff Beck just to name a few.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Carcass

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Evile and Havok are insane.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jun_aka_pekto

More Montrose

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Black Sabbath

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto

I'm also a big Status Quo fan......courtesy of the RAF folks I used to work with. ☺

Loading Video...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

To me, Defeated Sanity is the king of riffs. While your usual rock or metal song has a few riffs per song, sometimes up to 6....Defeated Sanity is always rocking at least a dozen good ones in their songs. And unlike your usual rock or metal band...Defeated Sanity actually writes the music around the riffs, rather than writing riffs to back up with that lead singer is doing (majority of rock music). They always take the extra step to make a riff more technical, varied, and interesting. Their guitarist plays with more vigor than anyone I've heard. The usual Black Sabbath song would take me a couple of days to learn to play. The usual Defeated Sanity song would take me a couple of weeks, if not over a month.

Loading Video...

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

Faunts.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Lamb of God has pretty sick riffs all the time.

Otherwise Kyuss, Alice in Chains, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Melvins, Carcass, Black Sabbath, Arctic Monkeys (lol), Dead Kennedys, Dire Straits etc.

@KHAndAnime said:

To me, Defeated Sanity is the king of riffs. While your usual rock or metal song has a few riffs per song, sometimes up to 6....Defeated Sanity is always rocking at least a dozen good ones in their songs. And unlike your usual rock or metal band...Defeated Sanity actually writes the music around the riffs, rather than writing riffs to back up with that lead singer is doing (majority of rock music). They always take the extra step to make a riff more technical, varied, and interesting. Their guitarist plays with more vigor than anyone I've heard. The usual Black Sabbath song would take me a couple of days to learn to play. The usual Defeated Sanity song would take me a couple of weeks, if not over a month.

Loading Video...

Most rock bands (especially the more riffy ones) make a song first and put lyrics over them later. You can listen to the demos when they just have random humming and weird stupid ryhmes over parts of songs as stop-gaps before they finish up the lyrics.

Also god I can't stand modern brutal death, it's getting way too random and ungroovy just to stay edgy. It's just a random mish-mash of various riffs that sometimes barely even make sense together, with a awfully generic breakdown in the middle, and just random grunting over it, totally disconnected from the music. Old stuff like Infecting the Crypts always feels so much heavier and more brutal than this stuff, this just feels like it's trying too hard. /rant /nothingpersonal /nooffense :D

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@chaplainDMK said:

Lamb of God has pretty sick riffs all the time.

Otherwise Kyuss, Alice in Chains, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Melvins, Carcass, Black Sabbath, Arctic Monkeys (lol), Dead Kennedys, Dire Straits etc.

@KHAndAnime said:

Most rock bands (especially the more riffy ones) make a song first and put lyrics over them later. You can listen to the demos when they just have random humming and weird stupid ryhmes over parts of songs as stop-gaps before they finish up the lyrics.

Also god I can't stand modern brutal death, it's getting way too random and ungroovy just to stay edgy. It's just a random mish-mash of various riffs that sometimes barely even make sense together, with a awfully generic breakdown in the middle, and just random grunting over it, totally disconnected from the music. Old stuff like Infecting the Crypts always feels so much heavier and more brutal than this stuff, this just feels like it's trying too hard. /rant /nothingpersonal /nooffense :D

How exactly does random and ungroovy relate to edginess?

The thing is, when the rock bands write their songs first, they mostly use the same song structure (verse-chorus), and anything composed with that song structure isn't going to be riff-centric.

As for this song, the riffs make perfect sense together. Composition-wise, everything ties together amazingly. There is no breakdown in the song, but I'm guessing you're referring to a slam. A breakdown is one-note down-tuned chugging, slams are basically just riffs played slower. Essentially, this is Infecting the Crypts taken to the next-level. Defeated Sanity, to most of its fans, is the band Suffocation would be if they didn't get old and tired. If it's too fast for you, that's understandable, but the song isn't repeating itself throughout, so it's essentially like a really dense "story". Infecting the Crypts has a really identifiable song structure, and is actually a really basic song on paper. This maintains the heaviness that Infecting the Crypts brings, but adds way more intricacy. If intricacy isn't your thing, then Defeated Sanity will go over your head. There are a ton of different rhythms and riffs in each song, so much so that people accustomed to less will think the music is just random noise.

Most people wants music that treads similar grounds - this music doesn't. If you want Suffocation - there are a million Suffocation clones. But there are bands that are trying to take what Suffocation did, put a spin on it, and that's how you get a band like Defeated Sanity.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#25 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

AC/DC.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points