NAACP joins lawsuit against NYC's Soda Ban

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by whipassmt (14267 posts) -

I saw it on "the five" a little while ago. I guess some groups are suing against a New York City law that prohibits certain businesses from selling soda cups that are over a certain size.

Apparently the NAACP has joined the lawsuit because they feel the law would have a disproportionate impact on minority owned businesses, which tend to be smaller businesses.

So what do you guys think about this, is NYC's soda law harmful to black businesses?

#2 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -

Ya I think it is. I mean, what if someone really wanted an oversized soda? Why should it be illegal? Is buying a pack of cigarettes illegal? No it's not.

Its all about whatever your cup of tea man. But I guess its the law of the land now, (at least in NY) so we have to obey.

#3 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

It's harmful to all business. I don't think it's the government's (local, state, or federal) decision on what people choose to drink. It is in fact a choice after all. If they really wanted to curb the consumption of soda, and make money at the same time, they should tax the crap out of it like they do tobacco products.

#4 Posted by whipassmt (14267 posts) -

I wonder if this would be a good business idea: get a little cart full of soda that is larger than allowed by NYC's laws, sell them on the outskirts of NYC and then flee to a nearby city when the cops show up. Would neighboring cities and towns bother enforcing NYC's law?

#5 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -

I wonder if this would be a good business idea: get a little cart full of soda that is larger than allowed by NYC's laws, sell them on the outskirts of NYC and then flee to a nearby city when the cops show up. Would neighboring cities and towns bother enforcing NYC's law?

whipassmt
That wouldn't work, the surrounding cities will just pass the same laws in their municipalities. But i guess it would work temporarily as it wouldn't be against the law.
#6 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -
[QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]

That wouldn't work, the surrounding cities will just pass the same laws in their municipalities. But i guess it would work temporarily as it wouldn't be against the law.

What exactly are the penalties for selling "oversized" soft drinks?
#7 Posted by outworld222 (2498 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]

I don't know. All I heard was about the NYC law.
#8 Posted by DroidPhysX (17093 posts) -
Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity rates
#9 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I'm more surprised the NAACP still exists.
#10 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

It's harmful to all business. I don't think it's the government's (local, state, or federal) decision on what people choose to drink. It is in fact a choice after all. If they really wanted to curb the consumption of soda, and make money at the same time, they should tax the crap out of it like they do tobacco products.

lowkey254
tobacco, alcohol, soda and other products similar to them should be taxed, but there is a fine line between a "sin" tax and taxing for the sake of taxing. After a while, taxes begin to lose their effectiveness and the state/city actually begin to lose revenues.
#11 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity rates

I couldn't say "irresponsible", but maybe ignorant instead.
#12 Posted by thegerg (15776 posts) -
Well, civilians really don't need such large sodas. What's the problem?
#13 Posted by whipassmt (14267 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

outworld222

Would they? Also though If I were to get fined in NYC for selling large soda, and I lived in another town and didn't pay my fine, I'm guessing New York state authorities would summon me to court for not paying the fine. So I guess I'de have to be in another state.

Maybe what a good business would be is to sell the large soda's off a boat and then high-tail it into Connecticut waters and then be totally out of New York's jurisdiction.

#14 Posted by whipassmt (14267 posts) -

Well, civilians really don't need such large sodas. What's the problem?thegerg
Do soldiers?

#15 Posted by BossPerson (9109 posts) -

Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity ratesDroidPhysX
soda is hardly the main reason for obesity. one can of coke is something like 160 calories. One big mac, 700 calories

food and exercise are the main reasons.

#16 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity ratesBossPerson

soda is hardly the main reason for obesity. one can of coke is something like 160 calories. One big mac, 700 calories

soda plays a role. dat refined sugar acts as a drug, and you're essentially consuming fvcktons of calories without it filling you up like a big mac.
#17 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Ya I think it is. I mean, what if someone really wanted an oversized soda?

outworld222
You could just buy a 12-pack at the store and go through the whole thing if you really want to consume that much soda. If the city really wants to curb obesity and high sugar intake, it'll have to do more than just banning a certain size of drinks.
#18 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9227 posts) -

The ban is dumb to begin with. If someone really wants a lot of soda they will just buy two. Making the entire law a big waste.

#19 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity ratesRich3232

soda plays a role. dat refined sugar acts as a drug, and you're essentially consuming fvcktons of calories without it filling you up like a big mac.

Not just that, but soda contains a lot of sugar, and high sugar intake has been associated with a variety of health problems like diabetes, depressed immune system, hypoglycemia, and poor cholesterol.
#20 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Damn, you can spin just about anything into a racial issue if you need to remain relevant, can't you?

#21 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4432 posts) -

The Irony is that black people are actually more obese than any other race.

If anything, this ideology is shortening the lives of black people.

sad and funny at the same tiime.

#22 Posted by airshocker (30715 posts) -

Some people like being told what to do.

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31840 posts) -

1946900_o.gif.

#24 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

Ya I think it is. I mean, what if someone really wanted an oversized soda? Why should it be illegal? Is buying a pack of cigarettes illegal? No it's not.

Its all about whatever your cup of tea man. But I guess its the law of the land now, (at least in NY) so we have to obey.

outworld222

But cigarettes are taxed heavily and provide good revenue. Whereas soda has no restrictions at all. And obviously you can't apply a surgeon's warning to a soda bottle, and/or tax the sh** out of a coke

#25 Posted by Legend002 (7425 posts) -

Banning of sodas, lol.

#26 Posted by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -
I saw it on "the five" a little while agowhipassmt
You watch that garbage?
#27 Posted by thebest31406 (3489 posts) -
Just put age restrictions on them, we do the same for cigarettes and alcohol and those aren't banned.
#28 Posted by comp_atkins (31822 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]

death
#29 Posted by DroidPhysX (17093 posts) -

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Well It's clear given the opportunity to consume soda, people are irresponsible with it given the massive obesity ratesBossPerson

12 pack of soda = 1 big Mac when it comes to cost for people 12 x 160 = 1920
#30 Posted by whipassmt (14267 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]I saw it on "the five" a little while agoJebus213
You watch that garbage?

what you talking about, that show is funny. Yeah yesterday they were talking about smoking, and they mentioned that Greg and Bob both smoke, than Greg said that Dana smokes crack (they were joking of course). Don't call the Five garbage or else Bob Beckel will come and sit on you.

#31 Posted by DroidPhysX (17093 posts) -
Also, soda is an insane toxin. Derived from coal tar. The same substance used in road building. Enlarges organs, weakens bones, increases depression symptoms, accelerated aging, etc.
#32 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1614 posts) -

I love the NAACP. They're always late for the party but they are not afraid to be the loudest when they get there.

#33 Posted by VoodooHak (15989 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]soda is hardly the main reason for obesity. one can of coke is something like 160 calories. One big mac, 700 calories

1PMrFister

Not just that, but soda contains a lot of sugar, and high sugar intake has been associated with a variety of health problems like diabetes, depressed immune system, hypoglycemia, and poor cholesterol.

I think that's all irrelevant. If I want to buy a 100 oz soda, I should be able to. It's no one else's business.

Maybe Bloomberg should push harder on physical fitness and nutrition awareness. Maybe finding other ways to encourage healthy lifestyles. Maybe make so that healthy food isn't more expensive than junk food... I know that's a real problem. I know many schools have done away with recess and phys ed for the sake of more academics. Maybe that should be addressed somehow.

A ban on soda size is just arbitrary for the sake of saying Bloomberg did something.

#34 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
because they feel the law would have a disproportionate impact on minority owned businesseswhipassmt
LOOOOOL F*cking knew it.
#35 Posted by AFBrat77 (24190 posts) -

I'm more surprised the NAACP still exists.Zeviander

agreed, it was important at one time, but that time is past.

#36 Posted by thebest31406 (3489 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'm more surprised the NAACP still exists.AFBrat77

agreed, it was important at one time, but that time is past.

In principle, an organization like the NAACP is still needed but the very organization itself is a waste.
#37 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="Rich3232"] soda plays a role. dat refined sugar acts as a drug, and you're essentially consuming fvcktons of calories without it filling you up like a big mac. VoodooHak

I think that's all irrelevant. If I want to buy a 100 oz soda, I should be able to. It's no one else's business.

Maybe Bloomberg should push harder on physical fitness and nutrition awareness. Maybe finding other ways to encourage healthy lifestyles. Maybe make so that healthy food isn't more expensive than junk food... I know that's a real problem. I know many schools have done away with recess and phys ed for the sake of more academics. Maybe that should be addressed somehow.

A ban on soda size is just arbitrary for the sake of saying Bloomberg did something.

I agree. I find bans to be silly and often a knee jerk "solution" to problems.
#38 Posted by majadamus (10269 posts) -
They underestimate the determination of the obese. Not allowing businesses to sell a certain size of soda will only make those willing to get their fill of sugary satisfaction by just buying two or more drinks.
#39 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4432 posts) -

airshocker

sometimes it's for the best.

the gov't says no drunk driving for instance.

#40 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -
It must be an Obama conspiracy....
#41 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

MakeMeaSammitch

But shouldn't one be able to drunk drive in they own bak-yhard?
#42 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4432 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

MetalDogGear

But shouldn't one be able to drunk drive in they own bak-yhard?

nope, same with soda pop.

logic.

#43 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4301 posts) -

Seems kinda legitimate. The soda size ban is stupid anyways. How can they justify a soda ban but you can still buy however many cigarettes as you want? That doesn't seem logical. What's next? No more large bags of potato chips?