My new painting...Thoughts?

#1 Edited by danlevm (193 posts) -

Thoughts on my new oil painting?

#2 Edited by Serraph105 (27930 posts) -

That's quite a talent you have there, the hair in particular is incredible. A part of me wished the neck was really veiny or something though, the hair is so incredibly detailed that I wish their was another aspect that was similar.

bravo

#3 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10154 posts) -

^ maybe the painting is not finished?

#4 Posted by Shadow4020 (1957 posts) -

I really like it, but his neck seems a bit long.

#5 Posted by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

You definitely have talent... but David? And it's missing the most important part.

#6 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10154 posts) -

@Shadow4020 said:

the proportions should match the original David's and i believe they do.

#7 Posted by Korvus (3525 posts) -

That looks amazing; well done!

#8 Posted by Iszdope (9865 posts) -

Choice!

#9 Posted by MrGeezer (56219 posts) -

@Shadow4020 said:

1) This painting is awesome. You do this stuff really well.

2) However, as talented as you are as a painter, I have to say that I find the image a little bit boring. Your comment seems to reinforce that. You seem to be focusing a lot on being tchnically proficient, and from what I can tell, you absolutely are technically proficient. That is an excellent painting of part of Michelangelo's sculpture of David. You've got the trechnical proficiency down. Now comes the part where you stop copying stuff verbatim and start making things YOURS.

3) Remember how I said this was a little bit boring? That's because we already have a David and the world doesn't need another. If you're gonna make another, make it yours, don't just try to copy what has already been done. It's okay to start out doing that in order to build up skills, but you've clearly got the skills which means that it's really time to move onto the next level. Now comes the hard part: what are you trying to SAY?

#10 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10154 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@VaguelyTagged said:

@Shadow4020 said:

1) This painting is awesome. You do this stuff really well.

2) However, as talented as you are as a painter, I have to say that I find the image a little bit boring. Your comment seems to reinforce that. You seem to be focusing a lot on being tchnically proficient, and from what I can tell, you absolutely are technically proficient. That is an excellent painting of part of Michelangelo's sculpture of David. You've got the trechnical proficiency down. Now comes the part where you stop copying stuff verbatim and start making things YOURS.

3) Remember how I said this was a little bit boring? That's because we already have a David and the world doesn't need another. If you're gonna make another, make it yours, don't just try to copy what has already been done. It's okay to start out doing that in order to build up skills, but you've clearly got the skills which means that it's really time to move onto the next level. Now comes the hard part: what are you trying to SAY?

Geezer, i was just defending the painting. i'm not the one who painted it! however, since i'm a painter as well, i think i'm still able to clear something up; painting is not always about making something different or Ineffaceable. sometimes the whole point is reaching the technical proficiency of a master and that's where you get your satisfaction.heck, some painters dwell on that point for the rest of their career. they'll probably never be going to follow the footsteps of masters who grasp both the technical and creative levels, but that doesn't mean they enjoy their work any less.

#11 Posted by Master_Live (14401 posts) -

My man, you should do an OT-inspired painting.

#12 Posted by Master_Live (14401 posts) -

BTW, it looks pretty good, keep 'em coming.

#13 Posted by danlevm (193 posts) -

@MrGeezer: I do get understand what your saying and your totally right. Copying can be quite a bit boring at times.. When I paint a picture that has never been done before I feel much closer to the piece... But I had to do a David for some reason. I would never copy another painting, that would be ultra boring! But David is a sculpture and my goal with this is to bring it To a totally 3d level.. Its Still not finished though..

#14 Posted by comp_atkins (31328 posts) -

You definitely have talent... but David? And it's missing the most important part.

#15 Posted by Korvus (3525 posts) -

@danlevm said:

my goal with this is to bring it To a totally 3d level.. Its Still not finished though..

You're definitely going to show it to us again when it's done, right? =D

#16 Edited by bforrester420 (1431 posts) -

It's very good, but not my personal style. I'm an impressionist/post-impressionist fan. Landscapes, mostly.

#17 Posted by themajormayor (25739 posts) -

Impressive

#18 Posted by harry_james_pot (10767 posts) -

Looks really good.

#19 Edited by danlevm (193 posts) -

Added a few things today....Shadows and started the hand, fixed the neck slightly too ...but more to do on the weekend

#20 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26156 posts) -

Not enough boobs. Next time, more boobs.

#21 Posted by brimmul777 (1178 posts) -

@danlevm said:

Added a few things today....Shadows and started the hand, fixed the neck slightly too ...but more to do on the weekend

I have to say,you have real talent.Well done.I think you have what it takes to go real far with this talent of yours.

#22 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16199 posts) -

Good stuff. You totally nailed the 3D look.

#23 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71180 posts) -

Looks good to me

#24 Posted by MrGeezer (56219 posts) -

Geezer, i was just defending the painting. i'm not the one who painted it! however, since i'm a painter as well, i think i'm still able to clear something up; painting is not always about making something different or Ineffaceable. sometimes the whole point is reaching the technical proficiency of a master and that's where you get your satisfaction.heck, some painters dwell on that point for the rest of their career. they'll probably never be going to follow the footsteps of masters who grasp both the technical and creative levels, but that doesn't mean they enjoy their work any less.

Oh, sure. People do artistic stuff for all sorts of reasons, and that's fine as long as it makes them happy.

HOWEVER...the act of showing art to an audience means that it's now no longer just about what the artist wants. And I'm just saying that as far as audiences tend to go, technical mastery is viewed as a good thing, but it can easily get boring if the audience feels like they've seen the same thing before. If having the technical proficiency of a master is enough for you, then go right ahead. Just be aware that when the audience says "it's great, but it's also kind of boring", there's really no way to dispute that. That's just where the goals of the artist and the goals of the audience diverge, and the artist either needs to adapt or cater to a different audience.