My neighbor has a pool in their garage

#1 Edited by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

I know how silly it sounds, but it's true. Whether or not there is water in the pool, I have no idea. But, I was walking by the other day and they have an above ground, 12 foot pool set up in their one car garage.

I'm no zoning expert, but I'm pretty sure that goes against a few city codes when it comes to setting up a pool in your yard, considering they have electrical wired in the garage.

Should I place a call to the city to notify them of this or mind my own business?

This is what it looks like:

#2 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (364 posts) -

don't be a narc

#3 Posted by toast_burner (21133 posts) -

Why do you care?

#4 Posted by Master_Live (13622 posts) -

How neighbor-ish is he? I mean is his house next to yours? Sounds like a fire hazard.

#5 Posted by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

How neighbor-ish is he? I mean is his house next to yours? Sounds like a fire hazard.

It's three houses down from me. I live a row in the city, so their property is pretty close to mine. The neighbors themselves I don't know personally (they're a non-English speaking Hispanic family), but I do know that they rent the property. I'm just curious if the property owner is aware of what's going on considering the potential hazard they may be causing?

#6 Posted by Master_Live (13622 posts) -

I would probably leave it alone.

#7 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

"Whether or not there is water in the pool, I have no idea."

Maybe your neighbor is just storing the pool in there? In any case I'm not sure if it warrants you being a tattletale.

#8 Posted by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Maybe your neighbor is just storing the pool in there? In any case I'm not sure if it warrants you being a tattletale.

Yeah, I know. I would confirm first if there was water before notifying anyone. The fact that they set up the pool though is odd. Surely, it would leave more room in the garage to keep it broken down though?

#9 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

Yeah, I know. I would confirm first if there was water before notifying anyone. The fact that they set up the pool though is odd. Surely, it would leave more room in the garage to keep it broken down though?

Maybe there is something wrong with the pool that would render it unusable if it was to be broken down? Or maybe they intended to use it later that day or the following one? You have so little information to reach a verdict whether to notify the authorities or not.

#10 Posted by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

Maybe there is something wrong with the pool that would render it unusable if it was to be broken down? Or maybe they intended to use it later that day or the following one? You have so little information to reach a verdict whether to notify the authorities or not.

All valid points. But, their yard is not large enough for a pool (and certainly can't have one set up due to electrical wires and trees taking up most of it). I'll keep an eye on it. These people haven't been the best neighbors and I question their behavior most times.

#11 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Leave this one alone. Not worth causing a ruckus over really.

#12 Edited by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

I agree. I guess I just look at stuff that people do and think, "WTF is wrong with you?" I seriously question the mentality of some people.

#13 Edited by thegerg (14404 posts) -

Get over it.

#14 Edited by SolidSnake35 (57947 posts) -

I would knock on their door and call the police in front of them.

#15 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@mattykovax said:

I agree. I guess I just look at stuff that people do and think, "WTF is wrong with you?" I seriously question the mentality of some people.

Oh, there are some winners out there.

#16 Posted by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Get over it.

I was never "under" it. :D

#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149515 posts) -

Grammar in topic sucks.....on topic....mind your own business. Glad I don't have neighbors like you....

#18 Posted by Serraph105 (27579 posts) -

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why you would care TC.

#19 Posted by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

Grammar in topic sucks.....on topic....mind your own business. Glad I don't have neighbors like you....

Maybe you do and you just don't know it.

#20 Edited by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

Same reason for if someone starts an electrical fire in their house due to questionable practices and/or negligence and ends up burning down half the block because our firewalls didn't stop it.

I care because they don't. Plain and simple.

#21 Posted by Serraph105 (27579 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Serraph105 said:

Same reason for if someone starts an electrical fire in their house due to questionable practices and/or negligence and ends up burning down half the block because our firewalls didn't stop it.

Except this doesn't have potential consequences anywhere near as severe as that. Worst case scenario is a moldy garage.

#22 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

They sound real cool, I'd introduce myself if I were you (maybe a good way to learn spanish or them to learn english).

#23 Posted by GoogleAndroid (139 posts) -

I'd mind my own business and let it go. A pool in the garage sounds awesome. Then it would still be usable in the winter.

#24 Edited by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

I'd mind my own business and let it go. A pool in the garage sounds awesome. Then it would still be usable in the winter.

It does in theory...lol

#25 Edited by SaintLeonidas (25708 posts) -

Not sure how city zoning codes would apply to something that is technically in someone's house.

#26 Edited by megagene (22973 posts) -

Wow! That's cuckoo bananas! Do they park their cars in the backyard?? :v

#27 Posted by XilePrincess (13102 posts) -

There's electricity in the bathroom... And if their garage did happen to flood, why would it be any different than any other room? If anything it might be EASIER to fix than the flooding of a basement.

You also need an extension cord to run the pumps of those things, so there's electricity coming in even outside.

You're making up far-fetched stories as to what *could* happen to back up you being nosy. Stay out of it.

#28 Posted by MrGeezer (55942 posts) -

Don't listen to these guys. Rat on that family. If they're not doing anything wrong, then nothing bad will happen to them. But if they are doing something wrong, then by snitching on them you might save some lives.

#29 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

Tell the neighbors you know their secret, and see just how much they're willing to pay to keep the city from finding out.

#30 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

Remember, T.C..........

Snitches get stitches, bitches..............

#31 Edited by hippiesanta (9733 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

Why do you care?

he's jealous coz he cant afford it ... i guess

jasean .. I'm joking

#32 Edited by always_explicit (2630 posts) -

How could this possibly be against any laws?

If it was a bathtub in his garage would it be an issue?

#33 Posted by Revelation34 (546 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Serraph105 said:

Get a better internet security program like Kaspersky if you're worried about firewalls.

#34 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10101 posts) -

Not the most concerning of issues, to be honest.

#35 Edited by coasterguy65 (5733 posts) -

Why concern yourself about what other people are doing in their private homes? As long as it doesn't hurt or threaten you, it's not really your business.

#36 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15791 posts) -

If the pool is full of water and the water leaks into my property, I'd rat them out in a heartbeat.

If there's no leaks or anything else intruding into my property, then I'd leave the neighbors alone. If they want to risk dying by electrocution, that's their perogative. F-em.

#37 Posted by Brain_Duster (380 posts) -

Kill them.

#38 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16473 posts) -

What kind of jackass calls the cops over something that is of no concern to them? Don't be a dick. How they live their lives is none of your business.

#39 Posted by LexLas (4163 posts) -

Heck no, don't call the popo. Who cares about his freakin pool, let them do what they want. I think its pretty retarted to have a pool in the garage ? Thats just dumb, but don't call the police. Just stay out of it, i would hate to have neighbors that call police on stuff like that, thats absurd.

#40 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6190 posts) -

They sound like dangerous Liberals. Call the cops.

#41 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24231 posts) -

Why would think of reporting such a thing? Indoor pools are not exactly a new thing and, barring some very specific local laws involving pools above or below ground, there little chance of any legal issues. In fact usually there are more laws pertaining to putting an above ground pool in your backyard then there are putting them in your house due to very evil they should be banned community standard laws and all that.

#42 Edited by jasean79 (2225 posts) -

What kind of jackass calls the cops over something that is of no concern to them? Don't be a dick. How they live their lives is none of your business.

Not me, I didn't call anyone.

I only asked for opinions. No need to get testy.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6596 posts) -

You think that's bad? My neighbor was out sunbathing in a bikini last week and I almost drove my car into the side of the house when I came home from work. Somebody should call 911.

#44 Edited by airshocker (28288 posts) -

I think you should mind your own business so long as they aren't hurting you.

#45 Posted by airshocker (28288 posts) -

And it's actually not illegal. At least in New York. It's a temporary structure that doesn't require a permit to set up and use. They could put it inside their house and you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing.

Zoning law has to do with permanent fixtures: Trees, fences, permanent pools, etc.

#46 Posted by KiIIyou (27101 posts) -

I bet its filled with something other than water :0

Like lava! :o

#47 Posted by Netret0120 (1901 posts) -

I would knock on their door and call the police in front of them.

Lol that made me lol so hard for some odd reason. Seems like such a dick move hahhahhaha