My fingernail got completely busted off and ripped out today.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BobbyBobby85 (10336 posts) -

So I was helping out at church today moving a swingset into this yard, but I had to climb a fence while 5 other people carried the rest over.  It turns out my finger got stuck underneath a fencepost cap and I unwittingly applied all my body weight onto my pointer finger in my attempt to hop over.  I was unsuccessful in my attempt, and my finger was crushed so I withdrew and took a good look at my finger which was bleeding profusely and saw my fingernail hanging on by a thread.  Needless to say, I was in quite a bit of pain so I ran inside and put pressure on the wound while running it under cold water. It took about a half hour for it to stop bleeding, so when it did, I continued to pull off the rest of the nail, in which case I had to tend to the bleeding once again.  Now I have only about 10% of my fingernail in the lower right portion  of my finger (it didn't break completely off) but I am wondering whether or not it is possible to grow back.  My finger is busted up pretty badly, and the wound goes pretty deep.  Anyone know if my fingernail is salvageable?

#2 Posted by qetuo6 (2732 posts) -
pics?
#3 Posted by IsNotInterestes (1836 posts) -
Happened to me, except my toenail was ripped off.
#4 Posted by BobbyBobby85 (10336 posts) -

Happened to me, except my toenail was ripped off.IsNotInterestes

Ouch!  Did it grow back?

#5 Posted by needled24-7 (15900 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it'll grow back.

Got any pics of it?

#6 Posted by IsNotInterestes (1836 posts) -

[QUOTE="IsNotInterestes"]Happened to me, except my toenail was ripped off.BobbyBobby85

Ouch!  Did it grow back?

Eventually. Took a few months.

#7 Posted by BlackBeauty (3508 posts) -
Its happened to me before. I had to pull my thumb-nail off, because it was pretty much dead and becoming off-colour :(
#8 Posted by Flow4U (1529 posts) -
Got my...ok I got nothing.
#9 Posted by kornholio360 (6973 posts) -
Yea, that hurts like a -----. I feel your pain. :(
#10 Posted by bminns (4052 posts) -
yeah i've had a fingernail ripped off before, not fun.
#11 Posted by BobbyBobby85 (10336 posts) -

There it is fellas!

#12 Posted by stkr (6118 posts) -
Happened to me as well. My fingernail was ripped off because someone tripped over my finger on pavement. The nail tore off except for the very tip which my mom had to pull off anyway. It grew back and it looks perfectly fine. You wouldn't know if I didn't tell you. It was bloody and spongy just like the pic above. Mine bled pretty bad though.
#13 Posted by The_Zoid (59973 posts) -
That looks painful.
#14 Posted by qetuo6 (2732 posts) -

There it is fellas!

BobbyBobby85

Cool.

#15 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -
That's happened to me before, a large rock fell of it and it grew back just fine.
#16 Posted by stkr (6118 posts) -
You need to wrap it up and go to the doctor. It's your finger!? *Infections* There's not much they can do for you but tell you to let it grow back, but it should at least be looked at.
#17 Posted by BobbyBobby85 (10336 posts) -

You need to wrap it up and go to the doctor. It's your finger!? *Infections* There's not much they can do for you but tell you to let it grow back, but it should at least be looked at.stkr

I already soaked it in alchohol a couple times today, and I change my bandages often.  I fear going to the doctors on account of the mass expense and the fact that they'll probably prescribe me uneccessary drugs.  I'm just concerned whether or not it'll grow back in the shape it's in.  I'm hoping it won't grow back in crooked or something because of the part that is still there.

#18 Posted by fathertroy (1309 posts) -
pain......
#19 Posted by stkr (6118 posts) -

[QUOTE="stkr"]You need to wrap it up and go to the doctor. It's your finger!? *Infections* There's not much they can do for you but tell you to let it grow back, but it should at least be looked at.BobbyBobby85

I already soaked it in alchohol a couple times today, and I change my bandages often.  I fear going to the doctors on account of the mass expense and the fact that they'll probably prescribe me uneccessary drugs.  I'm just concerned whether or not it'll grow back in the shape it's in.  I'm hoping it won't grow back in crooked or something because of the part that is still there.

It'll grow back. That shouldn't be a problem. I doubt that remaining piece will be a problem either, though I'm no doctor. Just think about people who bite their nails. Even though a piece remains, it grows to fit around it regardless.

#20 Posted by JRoss17 (5915 posts) -
When a nail rips off you have to try and get ALL of it off, or else it will grow back crooked and ugly looking, I know for a fact :( Doctors arent so dumb after all..:P
#21 Posted by stkr (6118 posts) -

When a nail rips off you have to try and get ALL of it off, or else it will grow back crooked and ugly looking, I know for a fact :( Doctors arent so dumb after all..:PJRoss17

That sounds so horrible. Here's a link from Google (and some pics for the weirdos) :

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/nailavul.htm

#22 Posted by trophylocoste (8452 posts) -

There it is fellas!

BobbyBobby85
Dam you damage it bad. That never happend to me tho
#23 Posted by Sir_Marwin (9734 posts) -
Now I have to run to the bathroom and regret coming to this thread...
#24 Posted by disc0very (3636 posts) -
It should grow back, but it'll take a while.
#25 Posted by megagene (23015 posts) -
It will eventually grow back...
#26 Posted by bminns (4052 posts) -
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

There it is fellas!

trophylocoste

Dam you damage it bad. That never happend to me tho

man that looks pretty bad :? 

#27 Posted by Izzymoney (1192 posts) -

Wow, thats disgusting.

My pinky nail fell off once, but it took 2 weeks after I smashed it.

#28 Posted by Outsider-G (2448 posts) -

Damn that looks bad.

#29 Posted by ernie1989 (8547 posts) -
It grows back. I remember I busted my finger when the door slammed on it. My finger turned purple and it swelled up and my finger nail got loose. The nail was attached to my finger for about two months until one day I went to Burger King and was playing in the playground. There were some soft things hanging from the wall that looked like punching bags, and my brother hit me with one of them. So when I fell to the ground my nail just fell off and some girl near me had a nasty expression on her face. I had to laugh.