My dog is desperately trying to get into my house.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Okay we always keep my dog outside. She is a Pitbull/Mastiff mix. My dad always wants her outside (I dont blame him, she's big and messes up enough stuff out there.) Its usually never a problem to keep her outside. Whenever we open the door to go in she will either just stand back as we go inside and close the door, or at most she will kind of try to stick her head in and that is it. Even if we left the door wide open for whatever reason she would just stand outside.

Now in these past couple of days it seems like she is really trying to force herself in for some reason. At first it was kind of subtle because she would put her head in the door but she would persist and it would be harder for me to make her back away. I didnt think anything of that. Yesterday I noticed that she was really trying to get in. She was stepping inside and everything but she didnt get too far. Now today like three times, I barley opened the door and before I could even go in she just kind of forced herself in and she walked all the way onto the matt that is by my doo and just sat there. It was pretty hard to get her out too. I didnt want to pull on her (I did pull her hard once though because I was in a rush to go to the bathroom lol) so I just quickly got foor from the refrigerator to lure her outside and then I ran in.

Then she started getting smarter. I'd hold a bone or something and she'd be hesitant to go outside and I knew she was interested in the bone but she wouldnt come at it. Then I would walk away and then she would jump outside and I'd throw the bone and she would kind of twitch in the direction where I threw it but as soon as she saw I was trying to go back in, she's run back in. The latest time today she wasnt even that close to me and as I opened the door she just sprinted inside and started walking around a bit and I had to get my Subway sandwich from the fridge to lead her out lol.

Has anyone gone experienced the same thing with their dog? I wonder why she has been trying to get inside so much.... I worried that something might have happened to her outside that makes her want to come in idk.

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I'll never understand owning a pet and not having it in the house with you.

#3 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Pirate700

I always wanted to have a house pet and Im planing to when I move out but... A good chunk of my friends who are pet owners leave their dog(s) outside 0.o

#4 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

Pirate700
Maybe some people just want animated lawn ornaments.
#5 Posted by danjammer69 (4120 posts) -

Pirate700
Exactly my feelings. By keeping your doggy outside you are missing out on so much love that she could be giving you. If that was my dog I would not be able to deal with her trying to get in so bad. It would break my heart. Maybe she just wants to be insde with you and your family? Anyhow, I am not going to give you sh!t for it. Plenty of people do this and have their own reasons, as I am sure you do. I know I sound like a major pussbag, but I don't care. I have a very big soft spot for dogs. I love the fvck out of them. Good animals they are.
#6 Posted by HybridPhoenix (3598 posts) -

Pirate700

Thank you.

Dogs in particular tend to like being around people, your dog is probably lonely.

#7 Posted by Chicken453 (2038 posts) -
I'll never understand owning a pet and not having it in the house with you. Why not dog proof the house or something. My friend had to for his ferret. Well i guess seeing as it's a big dog you gotta keep it outside but seems kinda wrong to have a pet and just leave it on it's own outside.
#8 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

IcyFlamez96

I always wanted to have a house pet and Im planing to when I move out but... A good chunk of my friends who are pet owners leave their dog(s) outside 0.o

Meh, owning an animal that you're never around doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

#9 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

Meh, owning an animal that you're never around doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

Same opinion here; what's the point in a dog if it's going to be tied up to a tree all day? How would you like it if I tied you to a tree?
#10 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -
than let it in durr ps, so did not read the op, 3 paragraphs about your dog's desire to be in the hoouse? wtf is wrong with you
#11 Posted by whipassmt (14028 posts) -

It could be many reasons. Maybe the dog wants to be around you people, maybe she's cold. Maybe she might being feeling a little sick and wants to stay inside.

Maybe this is a question you could ask a vet or a dog trainer or someone like that?

#12 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"] I always wanted to have a house pet and Im planing to when I move out but... A good chunk of my friends who are pet owners leave their dog(s) outside 0.o

Fightingfan

Same opinion here; what's the point in a dog if it's going to be tied up to a tree all day? How would you like it if I tied you to a tree?

Shes not tied to a tree lol. And im outside sitting/playing with my dog at least 2 hours a day if that means anything. Im never just sitting in my house. All the times where I would be sitting in my house doing nothing or on the phone or PC I sit outside instead.

#13 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

The dog's lonely and knows the seasons are changing.

#14 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Dunno, my dog rarely but never is allowed in my house.

#15 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

One half of my family, some of which are out in the sticks, tend to keep their dogs outside. They do that for protection. They're great guard dogs. In cases of populated areas, I'll have to agree with the lack of understanding. I'm sure people have their reasons though. As for your concern, it sounds likely that something spooked her. Give more of your time & stick around her when you can, and see what's going on.

My friends pitbull has been sprayed by skunks a good 3-4 times now, and she's only a year(and change) old, and she hates them now, so if that's any indication...

#16 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

It could be many reasons. Maybe the dog wants to be around you people, maybe she's cold. Maybe she might being feeling a little sick and wants to stay inside.

Maybe this is a question you could ask a vet or a dog trainer or someone like that?

whipassmt

Also likely possibilities.

#17 Posted by hydralisk86 (8537 posts) -
Is it possibly because it's too hot outside?
#18 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

perhaps better training was/is needed.

it is possible to train a dog to not fvck stuff up.

big dogs dont neccessarily need to be outside at all times.

#19 Posted by Kevlar101 (6144 posts) -
Get a cat.
#20 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

CHOASXIII
"rarely but never"? the crap is this?
#21 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -
Is it possibly because it's too hot outside?hydralisk86
Up to a couple weeks ago it would be in the 90s and some times 100s outside at night and lately its been really cold (Well cold for here is like 50s or 60s) and she never seemed to mind. Right now the weather is as neutral as ever so I dont think that is the problem.
#22 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

22Toothpicks

That means almost never. >.>

#23 Posted by whipassmt (14028 posts) -

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Is it possibly because it's too hot outside?IcyFlamez96
Up to a couple weeks ago it would be in the 90s and some times 100s outside at night and lately its been really cold (Well cold for here is like 50s or 60s) and she never seemed to mind. Right now the weather is as neutral as ever so I dont think that is the problem.

Be careful leaving the dog out in high temperatures, and make sure too give her water. Dogs have much less sweat glands than humans so it is harder for them to cool off and thus they are more susceptible to heat stroke.

#24 Posted by Pffrbt (6556 posts) -

I don't understand the point of keeping your pets outside. Just let her in.

#25 Posted by thegerg (15268 posts) -

Pffrbt
Some pets are too large to be inside. Anyway, leaving pets outside is no more inherently unreasonable than letting them inside.
#26 Posted by thegerg (15268 posts) -

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

CHOASXIII

No it doesn't.

#27 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

CHOASXIII

oh i c @_@
#28 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] "rarely but never"? the crap is this?thegerg

No it doesn't.

that would be a joke
#29 Posted by BranKetra (48625 posts) -
Let her in.
#30 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Is it possibly because it's too hot outside?whipassmt

Be careful leaving the dog out in high temperatures, and make sure too give her water. Dogs have much less sweat glands than humans so it is harder for them to cool off and thus they are more susceptible to heat stroke.

She has an automatic water dispenser thingy and the garage is always open for her to go in which is cooler most of the time so we got that lol.
#31 Posted by Pffrbt (6556 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

thegerg

Some pets are too large to be inside.
Unless we're talking about something the size of a small horse and you live in a house the size of a shoebox, no, not really. I have an 85 pound German Shepherd that does just fine inside, and we had a pretty small house.
Anyway, leaving pets outside is no more inherently unreasonable than letting them inside.

Aside from it obviously being harder on their health and kind of lonely out there.

#32 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

konvikt_17

Unfortunately many people aren't willing to put forth the effort to house-train their dog.

#33 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

worlock77

Unfortunately many people aren't willing to put forth the effort to house-train their dog.

guess so.

dont see what the point would be in getting a dog, if your gonna seclude it to the outside, pretty much all its life.

novelty i guess.

#34 Posted by thegerg (15268 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

konvikt_17

guess so.

dont see what the point would be in getting a dog, if your gonna seclude it to the outside, pretty much all its life.

novelty i guess.

I don't see the point of using commas if you're not going to use them properly.
#35 Posted by darkmoney52 (4309 posts) -

I like how everyone ignored the majority of the post to pick on the OP for keeping the dog outside even though he clearly explained it's his parents house and not his choice.

In any case there's probably some dedicated pet forums out there that could offer much better advice than you're likely to get here.

#36 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

thegerg

guess so.

novelty i guess.

I don't see the point of using commas if you're not going to use them properly.

i see one comma too many.

either way, i dont care.

my message got across.

#37 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3515 posts) -

I like how everyone ignored the majority of the post to pick on the OP for keeping the dog outside even though he clearly explained it's his parents house and not his choice.

\

darkmoney52
#38 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7415 posts) -

When I had my cat it was the opposite. I had to trick her to come inside, but once shes in she enjoys the hospitality ex. sleeping on my pillow.

I let her in during the night whenever possible and let her out during the day when Im not around. Ofc. I am pretty much chancing on flea bites. You should just let her in, dogs/cats tend me more social with company always around and dogs demand a lot of attention.

edit: get it house trained?

#39 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16439 posts) -

In any case there's probably some dedicated pet forums out there that could offer much better advice than you're likely to get here.

darkmoney52

This

Everyone simply saying the same thing over and over in a harsh tone isn't helping.

#40 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
My question is why the f*ck wouldn't your parents let her in if she obviously wants to come in? If when she does come in she doesn't want to go back out, there's something going on. I don't like 'outdoor pets'. The only outdoor animals we have are on the family farm. Two massive Maremma dogs, who are guardian animals and NEED to be outside to, ya know, guard the animals. They have shelter, though, tons of it. They're built to be outdoors, they're working dogs and would not be happy in a house. But animals like cats and regular dogs... I don't understand leaving them outside or forcing them outside when they obviously don't want to be. Your parents live in this house, no? Even if it was their choice to put the dog outside, they should be around occasionally and SEE that it is unhappy being outside and really wants to come in.
#41 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58109 posts) -
Smack it in the chops with the morning paper.
#42 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

I had no idea people felt this way about leaving dogs outside. I thought it was normal :/

Most people I know leave their dogs outside, I never hear any controversy on it. People here (or on the internet in general) usually have much different opinions on things as opposed to people I meet in real life.

#43 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58109 posts) -
You live in the ghetto, bud.
#44 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

I had no idea people felt this way about leaving dogs outside. I thought it was normal :/

Most people I know leave their dogs outside, I never hear any controversy on it. People here (or on the internet in general) usually have much different opinions on things as opposed to people I meet in real life.

IcyFlamez96

it probly is normal, or close to it.

just most of us never really run into someone who keeps their dog out at all times, so we are not used to the idea. then when you add the fact that the dog is trying to get inside, a little thing clicks in our brains thats like " Well let the dog in" as most of us who have dogs, probly dont have them outside all the time.

dont take our responses too seriously.

#45 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
I leave my dog inside our house :| Maybe its cold? I wouldn't leave my dog outside.
#46 Posted by Stesilaus (3340 posts) -

It's probably nothing to worry about.

Her keen animal senses have probably just detected the initial rumblings of a catastrophic, impending earthquake, or something like that.

:|

#47 Posted by gamerguru100 (10629 posts) -

Are you brain dead? The dog is supposed to be inside with you. You're torturing the poor doggie. :(

#48 Posted by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

Let that furry motherfvcker in then!

#49 Posted by HybridPhoenix (3598 posts) -
The only time we ever kept my dog outside was when we first got him and we were house training him. When we weren't home, he'd be in a large kennel outside (this kennel was bigger than my bedroom so he had plenty of space). After that he was inside all the time. In the summer if I was home I'd let him play outside for most of the day because we live out in the middle of nowhere and we have a huge yard. But honestly, beyond that, inside with us. And he was a combination of black lab and grey hound so he was decently sized and loaded with energy.
#50 Posted by HybridPhoenix (3598 posts) -
You live in the ghetto, bud.SolidSnake35
My thoughts as well.