Musical Instruments - Bass or Guitar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crazy_M_Tz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Crazy_M_Tz
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

Hey everybody!!!!! Just wanted to ask, I want to learn to play either Bass Guitar or Acoustic Guitar. So question ONE: Which one is easier? And question TWO: if it's my first one where's the most affordable place to get it from?

Background information:

I am an experienced piano player and music theorist who has done A-level music.

So umm... which one guys? And why is it easier? Oh and don't forget price range and any useful links :)

EDIT: By 'easier', I mean, which would be easier to start, and then faster to learn for a typical grade 3-4 standard.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Bass is easier, acoustic guitar is more fun.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Most people will probably say 'bass is easier' since it has less strings and you don't really play chords and for the most part they are right...But I would say it would be easier to pick up a guitar and start playing it after you know your way around a bass guitar. So really the choice is up to you. I would recommend going with a lower end package with an amp and all the accessories and such you will need, but don't skimp too much. Be sure to test the guitar out and make sure it feels comfortable.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Bass is the instrument normally reserved for that person who really shouldn't be in the band, but is allowed to be included only because they're either dating or related to the band member whose garage you're using for practice.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
neither are easier, if all you want to play is root notes on a bass then of course it will be easier but the same could be said for power chords on a guitar. I think guitar is more difficult to start with, but it depends what you want to do. As for fun factor again it depends on genres and stuff you are interested in, you can get an equal amount of enjoyment out of both but it depends how much effort you are willing to put in.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Acoustic is really boring IMO.
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 APiranhaAteMyVa
Most people will probably say 'bass is easier' since it has less strings and you don't really play chords and for the most part they are right...But I would say it would be easier to pick up a guitar and start playing it after you know your way around a bass guitar. spazzx625
I think going from bass to rhythm guitar will be easier, but going from bass to lead or lead to bass will be difficult as they both are used for different sections of a band. You have to know what your role is and thinking you are Hendrix while playing bass will sound dreadful.
Jonesy914

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Jonesy914
Member since 2008 • 1119 Posts

I guess it depends on what music you want to play. I used to be to play both bass guitar and acoustic guitar, i chose to play bass because i wanted to learn some Rush songs.

Of course i still play acoustic, just not as well. :P

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Most people will probably say 'bass is easier' since it has less strings and you don't really play chords and for the most part they are right...But I would say it would be easier to pick up a guitar and start playing it after you know your way around a bass guitar. APiranhaAteMyVa
I think going from bass to rhythm guitar will be easier, but going from bass to lead or lead to bass will be difficult as they both are used for different sections of a band. You have to know what your role is and thinking you are Hendrix while playing bass will sound dreadful.

I would hope that no one that knows how to play bass would think they could pick up a guitar and start shredding...I think the same could be said for a guitarist picking up a bass and being Jaco Pastorius. I was talking about the fundamentals, and I think those are easier to transfer from bass to guitar rather than the other way around.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I play the bass, its fun.
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APiranhaAteMyVa
[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]Most people will probably say 'bass is easier' since it has less strings and you don't really play chords and for the most part they are right...But I would say it would be easier to pick up a guitar and start playing it after you know your way around a bass guitar. spazzx625

I would hope that no one that knows how to play bass would think they could pick up a guitar and start shredding...I think the same could be said for a guitarist picking up a bass and being Jaco Pastorius. I was talking about the fundamentals, and I think those are easier to transfer from bass to guitar rather than the other way around.

Yeah that is probably true.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jamiemydearx3

Bass is easier for these reasons.

Less strings, chords aren't used as often on bass, you don't have to learn a million techiques(tapping, harmonics, strumming, sweeping, etc)

Look at this tabular post of Brand New's The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows.

Vinnie is lead guitar, Jesse is rhythmn, Garret is bass. See the difference? Bass is usually just a root noot.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/brand_new/the_quiet_things_that_no_one_ever_knows_ver5_tab.htm

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
to get to grade 3-4 standard bass is easier (however if you want to be awesome then they're both the same) do yourself a favour though and learn the bass as its meant to be played; without a pick
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 APiranhaAteMyVa

Less strings, chords aren't used as often on bass, you don't have to learn a million techiques(tapping, harmonics, strumming, sweeping, etc)

Vinnie is lead guitar, Jesse is rhythmn, Garret is bass. See the difference? Bass is usually just a root noot.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/brand_new/the_quiet_things_that_no_one_ever_knows_ver5_tab.htm

Jamiemydearx3
bass has slap technique, tapping, harmonics... also that example was dreadful because the guitarist are mostly playing power chords, if the bassist decides to play just root notes then that is his decision. There are outstanding bassist check out geddy lee, les claypool, stu hamm, jaco pastorius, flea, john entwistle or matt freeman.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

it goes down to your taste, if you like grooving out music go bass.

guitar, hard to explain, seeing that you have a background on music you can have the dynamics of a alto instrument like a viola(you can go low and upper voices)

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Richymisiak

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

APiranhaAteMyVa

bass has slap technique, tapping, harmonics... also that example was dreadful because the guitarist are mostly playing power chords, if the bassist decides to play just root notes then that is his decision. There are outstanding bassist check out geddy lee, les claypool, stu hamm, jaco pastorius, flea, john entwistle or matt freeman.

yep, crappy bands have crappy bassists/basslines

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

1. In terms of being able to pick it up and integrate into a band, I'd say bass is easier. If you can identify root notes and have a decent rhythm, you should be able to play with other people almost immediately. I guess what I'm saying is that it's easier to be sort of... adequate as a bass player. 2. Ebay. Try and get something second hand but that's been treated well. You'll be able to get a much better instrument that way. My acoustic is worth about £500 and I got it for £270 and even though it was advertised as used, it still had the tags on and had obviously hardly ever been touched when I got it. Same for my bass, it was made in the 80s but is in amazing condition considering how old it is. I got it for about £200 and it's probably worth double that, at least.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jamiemydearx3

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"][QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

Richymisiak

yep, crappy bands have crappy bassists/basslines

Show better examples yourself then? That is a legit example and A LOT of bands have similar set ups.

:roll: you know theory, play guitar. There's no reason to limit yourself with bass. As someone else said bass is for the person who doesn't know theory, or how to play any instrument.

Here's Stairway to Heaven bass vs guitar.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_btab.htm - bass

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_tab.htm - guitar

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Play the instrument that you like and that you will continue playing.
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Jamiemydearx3

Wrong on so many levels. One place you do not go looking for good basslines is a band like Brand New, come on dude.

Less strings? You know you can get 6-string basses, and even higher than that. Techniques for bass, pretty much the same as guitar plus some others.

Bass is usually just root note in your example because you pick some crappy rock band. Listen to some actual music with good bass players.

TC, if you plan on playing bass I highly suggest you check out an Ibanez GSR200, great beginnger bass. I'm not sure how big of a person you are but if you have smaller hands you will love the neck of the Ibanez bass.

I have been playing bass for 11 years and I'm still playing my Ibanez SR490 to this day.

JarOfGunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JarOfGunz
Member since 2010 • 368 Posts

Bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s

Guitar:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CjLfu9zCk

Its up to you dude.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jamiemydearx3

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

Randoggy

Wrong on so many levels. One place you do not go looking for good basslines is a band like Brand New, come on dude.

Less strings? You know you can get 6-string basses, and even higher than that. Techniques for bass, pretty much the same as guitar plus some others.

Bass is usually just root note in your example because you pick some crappy rock band. Listen to some actual music with good bass players.

TC, if you plan on playing bass I highly suggest you check out an Ibanez GSR200, great beginnger bass. I'm not sure how big of a person you are but if you have smaller hands you will love the neck of the Ibanez bass.

I have been playing bass for 11 years and I'm still playing my Ibanez SR490 to this day.

You are missing my point, the average bass is 4 strings. The average bass player doesn't use chords often, the average bass player plays root notes MOST of the time. He WILL be a LESS then average bass player for at least a couple months. Get my point? His first months of playing bass will be terrible. You play bass you should already know these facts, as a guitarist who picked up a bass before guitar I can tell you first hand you guitar is more exciting at first to learn, a good bass line is fine and dandy but who the hell wants to be the bassiest when you can be the guy getting all the attention while you do a five minute solo.

APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 APiranhaAteMyVa

You are missing my point, the average bass is 4 strings. The average bass player doesn't use chords often, the average bass player plays root notes MOST of the time. He WILL be a LESS then average bass player for at least a couple months. Get my point? His first months of playing bass will be terrible. You play bass you should already know these facts, as a guitarist who picked up a bass before guitar I can tell you first hand you guitar is more exciting at first to learn, a good bass line is fine and dandy but who the hell wants to be the bassiest when you can be the guy getting all the attention while you do a five minute solo.

Jamiemydearx3

you mean like this? fast forward to 1:00 or listen to the whole thing.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

If you don't plan on becoming very skilled, learn the guitar, because you'll be extremely limited as an unskilled bass player. You can't do much of anything other than play root notes in support of other musicians.

If you plan on practicing a lot, choose whichever you prefer.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Pick up the guitar. Because if you can play guitar, you can play bass. not the other way around. And if you have the music theory experience, the guitar will be even easier to get through. Your fingers will hurt though, beware.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

I think the bass is more appealing because it offers a richer tone that is more unique to itself. I like the acoustic guitar because it has a range that feels genuine and authentic to the most basic elements of music developed in occidental culture. don't worry about ease of use or get caught up in that question. That's a trivial matter if you enjoy what you're doing. IF you like the sound of bass guitars more than acoustic guitars start with a bass. It's really up to you and what you enjoy more. I've never played an instrument in my life. But it seems obvious to me what you should do. Feel out what kind of tone you prefer the most and start there. You'll have the most success if you enjoy what you're doing. If you think you'll enjoy either the same. Don't worry too much about the selection.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Jamiemydearx3
No, Bass is harder. Good bass players are more sought after than good guitar players, since fewer people play bass.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

GhoX
No, Bass is harder. Good bass players are more sought after than good guitar players, since fewer people play bass.

Just because less people choose to learn to play bass doesn't make it harder :?
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Bass is fun as hell and it is probably easier to go from playing bass to playing guitar than vice-versa.

You really need a passion for it though to keep it up. You gotta have those basslines you are desparate to learn or else it will just get boring.

I do think that in the long run a great bassist is alot more important and hard to find than a great guitar played.

It is so easy to sit there and shred out solos for the spotlight, but it is completely a whole other deal to take the time to develope a strong and interesting rhythym line that can actually stand out and drive the song such as this.

I will say though, the cool kids play the drums!

*is a drummer*

:P

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNIhBYQK6U&feature=related

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Richymisiak

Bass is fun as hell and it is probably easier to go from playing bass to playing guitar than vice-versa.

You really need a passion for it though to keep it up. You gotta have those basslines you are desparate to learn or else it will just get boring.

I do think that in the long run a great bassist is alot more important and hard to find than a great guitar played.

It is so easy to sit there and shred out solos for the spotlight, but it is completely a whole other deal to take the time to develope a strong and interesting rhythym line that can actually stand out and drive the song such as this.

I will say though, the cool kids play the drums!

*is a drummer*

:P

LostProphetFLCL
news just in, shredding is easy
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

I fell in love with the variety of sounds a guitar can make. But after being in a band I have realized just how important having a bass player is. If you learn bass, you can find work, because every band starts out with everyone who plays guitar and no bass player. Haha.