Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

So in the past couple of years, we've seen reboots of critically acclaimed movies that we hold dear, only to be either butchered completely or just being mundane.

However, going back several years, we had Dredd starring Karl Urban and that movie was superior to that of the Stallone's Judge Dredd. Pure action and pure adrenaline. Although my opinion, Dredd was a successful reboot of a movie that had potential.

In your opinion OT, what movie(s) that were critically and/or commercially poor deserve a proper reboot?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Constantine. The series should have been a premium cable channel series. As a network series it barely stood a chance. The Keanu film was pretty good but Keanu was wrong for the part even though he actually did a pretty good job.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Dune. Story in the books, characters, setting etc is all top notch. Movie was piss poor.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Westworld, Soylent Green, Omega Man......a few futuristic movies I remember from the mid 70's

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@AFBrat77: I think they'e turning Westorld into a series for HBO.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@hillelslovak said:

Dune. Story in the books, characters, setting etc is all top notch. Movie was piss poor.

Good one.

@AFBrat77 said:

Westworld, Soylent Green, Omega Man......a few futuristic movies I remember from the mid 70's

As @hallenbeck77 pointed out, Westworld is already in the works. HBO announced it close to a year ago and it's coming in 2017.

Loading Video...

It looks damned good, too. Thankfully a reboot of Westworld proper and not the awful sequel Futureworld.

As for Omega Man, that one's... complicated. Omega Man was already a reboot of the book I Am Legend and it's first film adaptation The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price. Omega Man was a pretty big departure from the original source material and pretty much missed the point of the original story, instead opting for a nutso story about albino cult vampires. It was rebooted again with Will Smith in a film bearing the same name as the original book, and while it had more similarities to the original story the ending also completely missed the point. It was then "rebooted" again with an Asylum direct to video "mockbuster" starring Mark Dacascos but that one was such a pile of shit I couldn't get through it, like most films by Asylum.

The film that was the closest to the source material was the first one. The point of the original story was that Robert Neville, who was the last "human" and spent his days wandering around in the sunlight and exterminating every vampire he could find while he searched for a cure, and his nights defending his home from attacking vampires, he eventually discovered that he was the monster. The world had moved on without him, and the vampires were the new social order of human beings. He was the "creature" that stalked them during the daylight (that they feared because it was lethal to them) and that he was killing sentient creatures. The story was never about him finding a cure and turning humanity back the way it was, it was about him realizing that the new world wasn't wrong and that his actions made them a monster (or horrifying "legend") in their eyes so he didn't begrudge them when they eventually hunted down and killed him.

-Byshop

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

Did you see the miniseries that was made a few years ago for ScyFy (then SciFi)? It was better than the movie (with Sting...WTF were they thinking), but still not good enough.

But yeah totally agree with Dune being a viable story to tell (again, and correctly).

Ummmm outside of that, I personally would love to see a lot of those classic WWII films rebooted. A reboot of Tora Tora Tora would be great, as would a Dirty Dozen reboot. OOoooooooh or Kelly's Heroes!

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

They should reboot Predator movies. Great potentials in that character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
@Byshop said:
@hillelslovak said:

Good one.

@AFBrat77 said:

As @hallenbeck77 pointed out, Westworld is already in the works. HBO announced it close to a year ago and it's coming in 2017.

Loading Video...

It looks damned good, too. Thankfully a reboot of Westworld proper and not the awful sequel Futureworld.

As for Omega Man, that one's... complicated. Omega Man was already a reboot of the book I Am Legend and it's first film adaptation The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price. Omega Man was a pretty big departure from the original source material and pretty much missed the point of the original story, instead opting for a nutso story about albino cult vampires. It was rebooted again with Will Smith in a film bearing the same name as the original book, and while it had more similarities to the original story the ending also completely missed the point. It was then "rebooted" again with an Asylum direct to video "mockbuster" starring Mark Dacascos but that one was such a pile of shit I couldn't get through it, like most films by Asylum.

The film that was the closest to the source material was the first one. The point of the original story was that Robert Neville, who was the last "human" and spent his days wandering around in the sunlight and exterminating every vampire he could find while he searched for a cure, and his nights defending his home from attacking vampires, he eventually discovered that he was the monster. The world had moved on without him, and the vampires were the new social order of human beings. He was the "creature" that stalked them during the daylight (that they feared because it was lethal to them) and that he was killing sentient creatures. The story was never about him finding a cure and turning humanity back the way it was, it was about him realizing that the new world wasn't wrong and that his actions made them a monster (or horrifying "legend") in their eyes so he didn't begrudge them when they eventually hunted down and killed him.

-Byshop

I thought I Am Legend was a pretty good movie, but the Omega Man I read in highschool would have been much better IMO.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

This 100 percent. I also vote for a Fantastic Four done actually right.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

terminator series in the same vain as the new planet of apes trilogy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@n64dd said:
@hillelslovak said:

This 100 percent. I also vote for a Fantastic Four done actually right.

It would have to be a wacky, goofy movie. F4 is one of the more comic book comics. I think the problem with the movies on it has been the fact that the people who make the movies try to make them way too seriously, like the archetype comic book movie.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AFBrat77

@Byshop:

Very good news about Westworld.

Omega Man and Westworld made quite a scary impression on me as a young kid, figured a high tech reboot might do them good.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

I remember reading somewhere that during the film's initial theatrical run, audiences were accompanied with a mini-index for the material so they could (seldom) follow what the hell was going on.

I love Lynch's work for the most part, but it's an incomprehensible mess. On the flip side, the book has always been considered as unadaptable.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Ghostbusters 2016 Some one had to say it:P

Any way think they should reboot Star trek TNG movies. Even though Patrick Stewart is a lot older he has aged well and still could pull it off. Even though he all ready said he would not play Piccard again :)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Transformers

But this time go back to animated movies. Do it the right way without mr explosion directing it and no live actors. Make a real Transformers movie again. Its been like 25 years lol.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

I think something should be done with the die hard franchise, i would of preferred a remake of the first rather than the last 2 bruce willis churned out for the pay check.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I'm generally opposed to "reboots" unless the original was bad. That said Dune would be a good choice for a GoT style series. On the plus side it even has all of it's books already in print. There's just too much story there for a single movie or even a miniseries.

Not a reboot but I really wish Guillermo del Toro would get to make "At the Mountains of Madness."

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Star wars. The old ones need more CGI.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Blade. Bring that series back. STILL my favorite marvel movie. Enter the Dragon...or really a remake of any Bruce Lee flick. So the current generation can appreciate an action flick with skill as opposed to wires and CGI.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

The Labrynth. Keep it weird, keep it quirky, keep it cheesy, keep it songy, keep the puppetry. But make it new.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By MrFreehuggs
Member since 2010 • 1260 Posts

I would love to see a Running Man TV show filmed as though it was a real reality TV show.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

the godfather

just to see the internet lose their minds

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AFBrat77

@comp_atkins:

I certainly would, IMO best movie ever made.....it should not be attempted because it would not be better, ain't gonna happen. Only an idiot or complete egotistical director would attempt such folly.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Drunk_PI

@comp_atkins said:

the godfather

It would be nice to see a Godfather remake. However, this thread is more about what movies that were critical and commercial failures but otherwise had potential (i.e. Dredd)

@SolidSnake35 said:

Nope. Reboot the prequels. Take advice from Redlettermedia. No Jar Jar Binks. Make them great again.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@comp_atkins said:

the godfather

It would be nice to see a Godfather remake. However, this thread is more about what movies that were critical and commercial failures but otherwise had potential (i.e. Dredd)

@SolidSnake35 said:

Nope. Reboot the prequels. Take advice from Redlettermedia. No Jar Jar Binks. Make them great again.

What?! J. J. Binks was the greatest villain of all time.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Drunk_PI

@SolidSnake35 said:
@drunk_pi said:
@comp_atkins said:

the godfather

@SolidSnake35 said:

What?! J. J. Binks was the greatest villain of all time.

Well he did make a convincing argument to grant Chancellor Palpatine greater executive orders. :P

Plot-twist: JJ Binks is Snoke

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Not movies, but I dig Shakespeare plays in contemporary settings (as evident by the avatar).

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator

@hillelslovak said:

I thought I Am Legend was a pretty good movie, but the Omega Man I read in highschool would have been much better IMO.

I think you mean the book I Am Legend. Omega Man was the Charlton Heston movie reboot that strayed even farther from the book than the Will Smith movie. Yeah, I Am Legend wasn't a bad movie, exactly. I actually liked it for the most part, but the ending annoyed me for the previously stated reasons. They actually flimed an alternate ending that while still different from the original story was closer to the idea of it. I was annoyed that throughout the movie they kept hinting to his character that the "darkseekers" were intelligent but Neville never picks up on it or does anything with that information. When the one vampire sticks its head out into the sunlight when Neville captures his mate/daughter/whatever, Neville writes it off in his recordings as evidence that their mental faculties are deteriorating rather than that the vampire was tempted to risk his own life to save her from Neville. There are other clues throughout the movie, and then it becomes blatantly obvious when they set a trap for Neville, but right after that it turns into all out war between them so it never gets explored.

In an alternate ending, instead of blowing himself up with a grenade and the Anna and Charlie escaping, the lead vampire stops attacking and smears his blood in the shape of a butterfly on the glass to indicate to Neville that he just wants the female back. Neville opens the door and returns the female and the lead vampire stops the rest from attacking. They leave and Neville is left with the realization that he has been killing these creatures in "Costco-levels" of bulk when they are actually intelligent and care about each other. It still has the remaining humans escaping to a colony up north with the cure, so it still largely missed the point.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@Byshop said:
@hillelslovak said:

Good one.

@AFBrat77 said:

Loading Video...

I'm looking forward to this as well, it looks awesome.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

I generally think reboots should be of something that is dated or didn't quite get it right the first time. The recent Dred vs the Stalone Jude Dred being a great example of the later.

As far as a dated movie goes, Logan's Run is a good example. The original had an incredibly thin story, poor acting, weak social commentary, and effects that aren't even cool in a retro sort of way. I'm hopeful about the planned reboot.

Now, Ghostbusters is an example of a movie that did not need a remake. That said, if you MUST remake something that still holds up, you should try to take the core concept and do something different with it. Haven't seen the movie myself, but on paper I think they took the right approach. Try to keep the spirit, but change up the characters and the style. And modernize the effects.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@Byshop said:
@hillelslovak said:

I think you mean the book I Am Legend. Omega Man was the Charlton Heston movie reboot that strayed even farther from the book than the Will Smith movie. Yeah, I Am Legend wasn't a bad movie, exactly. I actually liked it for the most part, but the ending annoyed me for the previously stated reasons. They actually flimed an alternate ending that while still different from the original story was closer to the idea of it. I was annoyed that throughout the movie they kept hinting to his character that the "darkseekers" were intelligent but Neville never picks up on it or does anything with that information. When the one vampire sticks its head out into the sunlight when Neville captures his mate/daughter/whatever, Neville writes it off in his recordings as evidence that their mental faculties are deteriorating rather than that the vampire was tempted to risk his own life to save her from Neville. There are other clues throughout the movie, and then it becomes blatantly obvious when they set a trap for Neville, but right after that it turns into all out war between them so it never gets explored.

In an alternate ending, instead of blowing himself up with a grenade and the Anna and Charlie escaping, the lead vampire stops attacking and smears his blood in the shape of a butterfly on the glass to indicate to Neville that he just wants the female back. Neville opens the door and returns the female and the lead vampire stops the rest from attacking. They leave and Neville is left with the realization that he has been killing these creatures in "Costco-levels" of bulk when they are actually intelligent and care about each other. It still has the remaining humans escaping to a colony up north with the cure, so it still largely missed the point.

-Byshop

Yeah, I miswrote it. I like in the book, the shift of who was really the villian. It had more impact than the movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
@jagoff said:
@hillelslovak said:

I remember reading somewhere that during the film's initial theatrical run, audiences were accompanied with a mini-index for the material so they could (seldom) follow what the hell was going on.

I love Lynch's work for the most part, but it's an incomprehensible mess. On the flip side, the book has always been considered as unadaptable.

I can certainly see that. Imagine a Dune show on HBO, styled like Game of Thrones. I would come all over the place if that was announced.

chitosan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By chitosan87
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

This is a tough choice. For Me, I’ll go with Indiana Jones, even Harrison Ford seems very iconic for being Jones. Some said that Chris Patt are goin to be young Indiana, we’ll see …

But reboot is kinda boring. We have seen it from Spiderman and Fantastic Four. Why don’t try like the Incredible Hulk or James Bond. We could say many people know the origin, but we want to know what’s coming next right?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Dredd (2012) was a great reboot that didn't make it's $50 million budget back until it went to video, but any plans for a sequel were scrapped, such a shame. I think they should give it another go.

Anyhow, I blame launching at the end of a slow summer right before End of Watch to be what made that fail, being rated R didn't help, and they had a really shallow 3D promotion ad campaign that made it just look like a gimmick of a flick. But, the movie itself was rather awesome. And Lena Headey made an excellent lead villain.

It probably didn't help either that the Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd (w/ Rob Schneider) movie was shit.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Byshop said:
@hillelslovak said:

Good one.

@AFBrat77 said:

Loading Video...

I'm looking forward to this as well, it looks awesome.

This looks great ! Glad i kept HBO ..

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

A modern-day Running Man would be pretty cool.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

the godfather

you shut your fucking mouth

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Boyz n the Hood

Though they will change it to white cops killing innocent black men, so never mind

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

Wesley Snipes, though, ridiculously physically fit, is probably too old to play Blade, and 3 essenailly killed it.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wesley-Snipes-Really-Wants-Blade-Reboot-Here-What-He-Said-133147.html

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

I am legend was omega man redone, and better imo.

Rolling Thunder is my pick.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

i liked watching the absent minded professor in my youth. the 90's remake did have the benefit of a rose colored view because robin williams was in it, but it did miss the mark somewhat. there is a great lot of potential in that concept for a movie though. strangely enough, if they were going to remake it, i would rather they mostly abandoned the original story.

mark ruffalo could play as the lead. with his performance as the professor squarely between his quiet careful with his mind and not showboatey bruce banner, and let it out where it gets out expressive but not silly demeanor in infinity polar bear. collette wolfe would be his lady love. he would be in the depths of an important series of lectures/science exhibitions or as a consultant for something when, because of the seemingly impossible scientific observations/theories that he submits, his off center demeanor, and often calamitous demonstrations, he receives notice that he will soon be committed. he is calm and accepting of his fate, even shows that he expected as much. collette's character could be working with him so that she is able take over where he left off once he leaves. while getting to know him and exploring some of his ideas she buys into some of his crazy. rallied by her advocacy they then set off to prove the truth in what all but him know as madness. in doing so, as usual, something awry occurs, the characters then find themselves: in another dimension, back in time, on another planet, in another plain of existence. maybe all of those situations or one. at some point he would admit that in some subconscious way the whole thing was more him escaping rather than an accident.

the tone of the show would be as far as possible from farcical, but distinctly aside of solemn. it would let the characters be charming. the professor would stand out against his world. supplementary characters' performances would not insist on matching the bigness of the main character; which would just make for the whole thing being abysmally awkward, like so many 90's movies before it. ie. just about every jim carrey movie of his era save perhaps the original ace ventura. it's world wouldnt take the role of a bully looking down on him because it thinks him mad, it would more react in a wtf manner. it would be a middle ground love child of; rick and morty, back to the future, inception, pineapple express, land of the lost, wristcutters, the book of eli & indiana jones.

flubber would be a cameo reference as one of his disaster demonstrations.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OmitName

earthworm jim. made by the very same lot that did the first insidious. at least 2 & 1/2 hours long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@kend0_kap0ni said:

Boyz n the Hood

Though they will change it to white cops killing innocent black men, so never mind

He cannot be replaced.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 OmitName

it would be interesting to see if anyone could make a sequel to the truman show interesting.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Blade. Bring back Blade. Those first two movies were awesome. That series is criminally underrated. Would love that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@OmitName said:

it would be interesting to see if anyone could make a sequel to the truman show interesting.

Have him mentally break down with several suicide attempts as he comes to realization the world isn't like Sea Haven and that Christof was right all along.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OmitName

@uninspiredcup: i wouldnt be very interested in that. i think that would be sad. in my opinion it would betray any sympathy you might have had for him watching the first show. i dunno what might make a good sequel good. that is why im so curious in seeing one. a love story of some sort is probably inevitable.

it's a wonder his focus of affection isnt cast more in movies. i think she acted well in that one.

http://www.movies-net.com/media/actors/natascha-mcelhone.jpg

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Claypot Curry Killer needs an "all white cast" (hollywood) reboot

Loading Video...