Movie trailer- dear white people

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for dave123321
#1 Edited by dave123321 (35223 posts) -

First a concept trailer from a couple of years back

http://vimeo.com/44018538

Now the teaser trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uag2G0J6iqw

Dear White People | Teaser Trailer HD | In Theaters Oct. 17

Description stuff

Dear White People

Galas

(USA, 2014, 106 mins, DCP)

Directed By: Justin Simien

Screenwriter: Justin Simien

Producers: Effie T. Brown, Ann Le, Julia Lebedev, Angel Lopez, Lena Waithe

Executive Producers: Stephanie Allain-Bray, Leonid Lebedev

Cinematographer: Topher Osborn

Editor: Phillip Bartell

Music: Kathryn Bostic

Cast: Tyler James Williams, Tessa Thompson, Teyonah Parris, Brandon Bell

Samantha White is a bold young student at the prestigious Winchester University who wants change and is not afraid to provoke it. Tired of the empty gestures and the phony platitudes other students offer the administration in the name of diversity, Samantha walks the ornery talk she gives on her radio show, Dear White People, by running for president of the all-black residence hall. If only everyone could keep up with her politics.

Justin Simien's prize-winning directorial debut is a satirical look at campus life and racial identity in a "post-racial" America. An ensemble cast of rising star talents, including Tyler James Williams, Tessa Thompson, Teyonah Parris and Brandon Bell, makes the political very, very personal.

Looks like a fun little adventure in enjoyment

Thoughts, comments, concerns, hopes, dreams, etc etc

Avatar image for Master_Live
#2 Posted by Master_Live (18415 posts) -

Could be worst. But then again, it always can be worst.

Avatar image for -Sun_Tzu-
#3 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

Looking forward to it. Have heard good things from people who have already seen it.

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#4 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Looking forward to it. Have heard good things from people who have already seen it.

^

Avatar image for playmynutz
#5 Posted by playmynutz (7098 posts) -

Interesting

Avatar image for themajormayor
#6 Posted by themajormayor (25174 posts) -

Looks like shit.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#7 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

The description kind of sucks as it really gives you little insight into any actual plot for the movie, but the teaser trailer was definitely funny. Will keep an eye on this one.

Avatar image for jasean79
#8 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

I'll pass.

Avatar image for xdude85
#9 Posted by xdude85 (5406 posts) -

Oh nice, another white guilt film.

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#10 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@xdude85 said:

Oh nice, another white guilt film.

Yeah...cause there are SO many of those...

Avatar image for GazaAli
#11 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

Looks like a fountain of tolerance and diversity. I expect the movie to do really well and receive much "critical acclaim".

Avatar image for korvus
#12 Edited by Korvus (10152 posts) -

I don't get it...is the movie trying to reinforce cliches about black people? Because to me that's what that trailer accomplished...

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#13 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Well, doesn't sound like it's pulling punches, for sure.

Trailer is promising.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#14 Posted by lamprey263 (32831 posts) -

I wanna watch it, though I must admit when the first thing I saw in the OP was "First a concept trailer from a couple of years back", I was hoping it was the live action Uncle Ruckus movie.

Avatar image for jasean79
#15 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Avatar image for -Sun_Tzu-
#16 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Avatar image for jasean79
#17 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

Avatar image for dave123321
#18 Posted by dave123321 (35223 posts) -

@GazaAli: I hope so

Avatar image for sukraj
#19 Posted by sukraj (26451 posts) -

no thanks

Avatar image for Master_Live
#20 Posted by Master_Live (18415 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

lol

Avatar image for whipassmt
#21 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

"An all-black residence hall" - wouldn't that violate anti-discrimination laws?

@jasean79 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

White Chicks was a good movie. Had some very funny parts.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of movies that get "good reviews" are actually pretty boring, and a lot of good, entertaining movies that do well in the box-office get bad reviews. I think there is a disconnect between many reviewers and the actual audience: the audience wants to be entertained, they don't care about the artsy-fartsy rubbish.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#22 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

"An all-black residence hall" - wouldn't that violate anti-discrimination laws?

@jasean79 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

White Chicks was a good movie. Had some very funny parts.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of movies that get "good reviews" are actually pretty boring, and a lot of good, entertaining movies that do well in the box-office get bad reviews. I think there is a disconnect between many reviewers and the actual audience: the audience wants to be entertained, they don't care about the artsy-fartsy rubbish.

There is some disconnect (reviewers tend to way overrate big-name dramas and underrate horror and action movies) but the big issue in terms of box office numbers is that people are stupid and will go see some of the shittiest movies in existence. This is why people like The Wayans Brothers keep getting to make movies. They appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator and dumb audiences eat that shit up...

Avatar image for jasean79
#23 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@whipassmt said:

"An all-black residence hall" - wouldn't that violate anti-discrimination laws?

@jasean79 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

White Chicks was a good movie. Had some very funny parts.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of movies that get "good reviews" are actually pretty boring, and a lot of good, entertaining movies that do well in the box-office get bad reviews. I think there is a disconnect between many reviewers and the actual audience: the audience wants to be entertained, they don't care about the artsy-fartsy rubbish.

There is some disconnect (reviewers tend to way overrate big-name dramas and underrate horror and action movies) but the big issue in terms of box office numbers is that people are stupid and will go see some of the shittiest movies in existence. This is why people like The Wayans Brothers keep getting to make movies. They appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator and dumb audiences eat that shit up...

Let's throw Kevin Hart in there with the Wayans brothers too.

The Wayans should've stuck with sketch comedy. Their acting worked well on 'In Living Colour'. I don't think any of them are funny enough to sustain a reputable acting career as a comedian on their own, though. But like you said, their movies like 'Scary Movie' appeal to some of the dumbest audiences around.

Avatar image for whipassmt
#24 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@whipassmt said:

"An all-black residence hall" - wouldn't that violate anti-discrimination laws?

@jasean79 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@jasean79 said:

Are the Wayans Brothers part of this? Seems like something they'd be producing.

Don't know why you'd say that. This movie has actually gotten good reviews.

Are you insinuating that the Wayans brothers can't make good, quality films? lol Come on, 'White Chicks' was them at the top of their game!

White Chicks was a good movie. Had some very funny parts.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of movies that get "good reviews" are actually pretty boring, and a lot of good, entertaining movies that do well in the box-office get bad reviews. I think there is a disconnect between many reviewers and the actual audience: the audience wants to be entertained, they don't care about the artsy-fartsy rubbish.

There is some disconnect (reviewers tend to way overrate big-name dramas and underrate horror and action movies) but the big issue in terms of box office numbers is that people are stupid and will go see some of the shittiest movies in existence. This is why people like The Wayans Brothers keep getting to make movies. They appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator and dumb audiences eat that shit up...

I don't think it's fair to generalize whole audiences as being "dumb". White chicks was a funny movie, it had some good jokes and some funny scenes.

I think another reason for the disconnect is that some reviewers can be too political, that they may think a movie is great just because it makes some kind of social or political point, and may think movies that don't make such points are not that good.

Avatar image for dave123321
#25 Edited by dave123321 (35223 posts) -

Let's remember that this doesn't seem to be a waynes-esque thing

Avatar image for whipassmt
#26 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

Is it just me, or do you think that if this movie was about a white student trying to change campus policies that he felt where unfair to white people that it wouldn't get as good reviews from the professional critics that a movie about a black student trying to change policies that are unfair to black people?

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#27 Edited by Perfect_Blue (28124 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

Is it just me, or do you think that if this movie was about a white student trying to change campus policies that he felt where unfair to white people that it wouldn't get as good reviews from the professional critics that a movie about a black student trying to change policies that are unfair to black people?

lol "unfair to white people". We have it pretty damn good.

Avatar image for GamingGod999
#28 Edited by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

Not the greatest of trailers.

EDIT: Is it suppose to be uber-ironic to stereotypically portray these African-American characters with 'attitude'/anger?

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#29 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:

Not the greatest of trailers.

EDIT: Is it suppose to be uber-ironic to stereotypically portray these African-American characters with 'attitude'/anger?

Yeah, I think it's that stereotype of blacks being hypersensitive about race.

Dunno how that's ironic tho

Avatar image for KHAndAnime
#30 Posted by KHAndAnime (16834 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

White Chicks was a good movie. Had some very funny parts.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of movies that get "good reviews" are actually pretty boring, and a lot of good, entertaining movies that do well in the box-office get bad reviews. I think there is a disconnect between many reviewers and the actual audience: the audience wants to be entertained, they don't care about the artsy-fartsy rubbish.

Sounds like you just have shitty tastes. Indicative by the bolded. I'm sure The Godfather put you to sleep.