Movie theater peeves

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

What are some things that people do at the movie theater that drive you nuts?

Mine:

1. People that clap at the end of the movies. (Why do they do this? It's not like it was a live Broadway show and the screen is going to lift up, revealing the actors on stage to take a bow afterwards. I get that they liked the movie, but clapping just makes them look silly.)

2. People that ask 50 million questions about what's happening, even though they know it's your first time seeing the flick. (Like, shut up and let me watch the movie. Save your questions for the end!)

3. People that bring newborns and toddlers to 'R' rated movies. (I've experienced this a few times. Like, if you can't find a babysitter that day, then you plan for another. There is no reason to be bringing an infant or toddler to an 'R' rated film. None. That's a parenting FAIL)

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

simple. don't kick the seat and shut the **** up.

if you do that, you're golden

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

simple. don't kick the seat and shut the **** up.

if you do that, you're golden

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

People that loudly snack through the entirety of the movie. That's pretty much the only thing that bothers me. Until food is banned from theaters, they're absolutely one of the least immersive ways to watch a movie.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jasean79

@KHAndAnime said:

People that loudly snack through the entirety of the movie. That's pretty much the only thing that bothers me. Until food is banned from theaters, they're absolutely one of the least immersive ways to watch a movie.

You know, I always wondered why candy wrappers were made out of cellophane. Seems like a cruel joke by the manufacturers, knowing it would piss off people in a theater.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

1.Couples fondling , smooching at corner seats.

2. Mom bought baby and baby crying.

3. Those who always on mobile , texting or receiving calls.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

1) Seat kicking

2) People that actually buy a pizza for the movie; I think the smell is distracting

3) Texting

4) The people that feel the need to clap and cheer (or even boo) throughout the movie

5) Kids in an R-rated movie and even really young kids in PG-13 movies; PG-13 doesn't mean it's appropriate for all ages.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasean79

@Shadow4020 said:

2) People that actually buy a pizza for the movie; I think the smell is distracting

That's so true. It makes you wonder why they would offer anything other than the expected popcorn. It's not a restaurant, it's a movie theater. I think they should keep it to just hot dogs and popcorn.

What I've always wondered about movie theaters is why people feel the need to eat during the film. Like, I watch movies all the time at my house. Rarely do I ever eat anything. Yet, people feel compelled to have something to distract them...as if sitting through a movie just isn't stimulating enough.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Teenagers. Loud and making jokes(which are not even remotely funny) about random scenes of the movie especially those involving "romance". Just stfu already...

It's a delight when I see teenagers acting like mature human beings and watching the movie quietly like the rest of us. It makes me think that there's still some hope for the next generation.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Sorry but I'm one of those pizza eaters. The ones at my favorite movie house are delicious. If I'm watching a matinee, and it's around lunchtime, I'll usually buy one.

Pet peeve - loud people talking during the movie like they are in their own homes. And they're not even talking about the movie, just stupid chitchat.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Can't believe so many people go to the movies. Why would I want to pay money in order to watch a movie among many annoying and disgusting people? I'd rather watch it on my phone than put myself through this.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jasean79

@GazaAli said:

Can't believe so many people go to the movies. Why would I want to pay money in order to watch a movie among many annoying and disgusting people? I'd rather watch it on my phone than put myself through this.

The key is to know when to see the movie. First rule is never go on opening weekend. Best time is to wait at least a week or two and then go either early on a Sunday or during the week. I just saw X-Men on Sunday and there were maybe a dozen people total in the theater.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Besides the obvious ones (talking and texting):

People that chew their popcorn fifty times before swallowing and jiggle the bucket as if it'll somehow make it taste better. The noise drives me nuts.

People that enter a theater late, even if it's only a couple of minutes.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I mostly have a fine time there

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I go the Cinema every Friday Night without fail, normally a midnight showing there are never more than a couple people there. Although sometimes with the missus I have to go on launch day at peak hour to some films (Twilight,Harry Potters, Hunger Games) so my peeves are

1. Eating 50000 calories throughout the film, especially if that person is behind you, you hear everything, every wrapper open and every crunch.

2. Seat Kicking

3. Texting, if the person is in front of you

4. New Borns or really young children and Mentally Challenged, I know that's a little controversial to say, I have every sympathy but they can still ruin a movie. Carers seem to take them the movies a lot in UK, its unfair because the Mentally challenged person normally has no interest in the movie

5. People Sitting Behind you - This is RUDE! i think, if the showing is mostly empty don't sit directly behind someone, they can hear everything. I will Always move somewhere else when people do this, keep your distance

6. Arriving really late, maybe 2 minutes into the film and its busy, and they wont accept sitting at the front and scousie past a whole row to try and find some seats.

NO!!! if your late don't bother everyone else just sit down

I love the movies but hate the general public

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Loading Video...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Wow I'd hate to go to the theaters you guys go to. The one in my city has large isles so there's limited seat kicking. Cry rooms for people with children, the seats are comfy, and usually the only food I see in the theaters is popcorn and soda. I rarely have a bad experience at the theater.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

People in the front row who put their legs against the rail and push their seat all the way back. I swear people do this, it's so annoying. One time a girl kept doing it, hitting my legs and then said I was kicking her seat. >_>

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I never see too many problems with moviegoers where I am. Most people shut off their cellphones and become quiet once the movie begins. The chairs are more like small Lazy Boys. People would have to really stretch out to get their feet behind my seat.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Everything. Basically close to ideal would be me sitting alone in the theater to watch the movie. Ideal would every single person on the theater behaving exactly how I want too, but yeah right.

1. Simple, people talking. Motherfuckers. Is that hard to be quiet? They should invent a machine that makes everyone go mute once they enter the theater. Suffering a heart attack? Good. Die already, but die quietly.
  2. People eating loudly.

I only go to first showings on week days on the 2nd or 3rd week (usually) of the movie. Haven't done differently in years.

As for some of the things people have mentioned:

1. Haven't had a problem with people kicking my seat (ever that I can recall). Must suck.
  2. People applauding: I can like it if it is genuine and organic. I remember for TDK (opening night) people applauded after the truck flips over and Batman goes to the wall and the bat-pod does a 180 and he posses for like a second. They also applauded at the end.
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2354 Posts

@Shadow4020 said:

1) Seat kicking

3) Texting

4) The people that feel the need to clap and cheer (or even boo) throughout the movie

5) Kids in an R-rated movie and even really young kids in PG-13 movies; PG-13 doesn't mean it's appropriate for all ages.

I'm surprised you would be allowed to bring a pizza in. Your not allowed to down here. (aus)

noolli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 noolli
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

What is wrong with clapping after a film, I only do it on special occasions but if it is after the film then you don't need to stick around and listen to it.

My peeve is crying babies, there is no reason others should suffer because you want the cinema to babysit for you.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:

@Shadow4020 said:

1) Seat kicking

3) Texting

I'm surprised you would be allowed to bring a pizza in. Your not allowed to down here. (aus)

At my theater chain they sell "pan" pizzas. They're quite good. The combo (small pizza and soft drink) is reasonably priced.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I haven't been to a movie theater in almost two decades.

Orkozero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Orkozero
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@jasean79: Agreed to all three...however I do dig claps/applause when something specific happens in the movie. I think the group reaction to a shared experience is a good thing when we all share our emotions at the explosion of the Death Star or something of the like.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

The key is to know when to see the movie. First rule is never go on opening weekend. Best time is to wait at least a week or two and then go either early on a Sunday or during the week. I just saw X-Men on Sunday and there were maybe a dozen people total in the theater.

I don't know about you, but I feel that doing anything of any considerable value to me, be it entertainment or sentimental, around people automatically devalues it, and severely I might say. In fact the only thing I can think of that I enjoy doing outside among people is eating at a restaurant.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321

Doing things with other people around isn't detrimental to the experience for me. At all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Cell phones, kicking the back of my seat, and this one guy that spilled his soda all over me as he was trying to sit down.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dave123321

I'm lucky to have a theater that enforces certain rules to make the experience lovely. Though no real enforcement is ever needed. Like no kids under 6 are allowed.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I never go the cinema.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Well I could name a few but one that really got to me was when I went to see Godzilla (2014) the first time the sound system was strangely turned down so when Godzilla came up on screen and wrecked shit it was weak as hell. I was so pissed when I go see a monster movie I want it loud I want to actually feel like Im there. Ruined the experience for me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

when large groups of the inner city kids show up lacking basic movie theater etiquette

when people show up after previews are over to a packed movie and stand around talking about where they're going to sit

people who want to sit in the center of the aisle but get up constantly throughout the movie

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'll stick to my 75" tv, comfy couch, surround set, breaks whenever I want, snacks whenever I want, only surrounded by friends. I don't like going to the movie theater at all.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jasean79

@lamprey263 said:

people who want to sit in the center of the aisle but get up constantly throughout the movie

This always cracked me up - people that HAVE to sit directly in the middle of the aisle. The screen is like 75 feet wide, you can pretty much sit anywhere and it's the perfect view.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19561 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:

Eh, nothing beats an opening night midnight screening. There won't be any kids around, and only serious movie-goers or fans will be there. Best possible way to watch a movie, bar none.

I actually don't mind full cinemas either, if you go late enough at night. The worst time are weekday afternoons, since they're always full of old people chatting to each other.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321

Why do people break during movies anyhow is it just the twitter generation infecting all ages

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Morons who kick the back of my seat! Really god damn annoying.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

The screen is large but nothing beats seating on the middle, Row G. That is right, I have it down to the row and seat.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

One that hasn't been mentioned is reclining seats. The seats at my theater can partially recline, which is a sort of a nice feature if there isn't someone behind you. Problem is I always seem to get people to 1) Sit directly in front of me and 2) Try to lean there chair back.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

Yall some cranky ass people. I hope to never share a theater with any of you. People clapping ans cheering during a movie makes the experience more enjoyable. I hate to see an action movie and no cheers or shows any reactions. I have never experienced seat kicking.

The only things that bother me are crying babies.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I went to the movie theater to watch Edge of Tomorrow yesterday(great movie!) and there was this guy two rows in front of me who wanted to take his phone out of his pocket which apparently he couldn't do while seated so he stood up in the middle of the movie to do so taking his time. Then he sit down and then got up again to put the phone in his pocket. And then got up again to take it out AGAIN. He was to the left of me so didn't directly obstruct my view(but he annoyed two girls sitting directly behind him) but it was definitely distracting.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14413 Posts

@indzman said:

1.Couples fondling , smooching at corner seats.

2. Mom bought baby and baby crying.

3. Those who always on mobile , texting or receiving calls.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I have the patience to wait for a movie to come out on Blu-Ray unless it's on someone else's dime.